Da Vinci Code

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
Well, apparently no thread for this.

Saw it with my sisters. Not bad. Certainly not great but good entertainment with some intellectual pretension.

It follows the book pretty closely and I suspect that if you didn't read the book some plot point may appear a little confusing, vague or rushed. But if you did read it, it's ok.

The actors are doing an honest job (don't hold your breath for any award, though) and Bettany is doing an inspired performance. Mckellen is a bit over the top IMO but he does steal quite a few scenes and is overall the most entertaining element. Audrey is a bit wooden in English but she gets by.

The Rythm is both very fast early as we rush from one scene to the next and then faltering toward the last hour or so. Some judicious editing could have helped but then again not if your goal is to simply translate the book on the screen.

Photography is, shall I say, touristic. They really want to make sure you can have a postcard shot of every local they visit. But the locals are great so that's almost a plus.

Overall you should certainly see it if you read the book or are curious about it. It is not a must see, though. Don't go out of your way to see it if the genre (Let's call it an investigative thriller with religious overtone) is not your cup of tea.

EDIT : nice Bond preview before the movie. Almost a teaser really, but I'm sold.
 
Last edited:

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
I saw this tonight. I liked the book, and I liked the movie as well.
 

JonnyFreeze

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,760
Location
uk
yeah that Bond preview was cool

i read the book last year and didnt think a lot of it. it was an ok read but nothing spectacular like people make it out to be. i thought the movie version was just awful tho and felt really rushed. mckellen was cool of course but thats about it.

oh and i fell asleep for about half an hour
 

Dr_Draco

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
387
Location
Titusville, FL
My biggest complaint about the film was the acting during the beginning. Aside from the guy that played Silas, everyone was really wooden with their dialogue. Not something you'd expect from the likes of Tom Hanks or Jean Reno. Though I'm glad it didn't stay that way for the whole film.

Aside from that, it was a fairly solid movie, but the book was easily 1000x better.
 

Planet-man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
11,645
Location
Toronto, Ontario(by way of the Kepler Verge)
I read the book and was underwhemled by it(although it was still good).

I intended to see the movie until I read the reviews(16% on RottenTomatoes!:shock: ). It's a shame, because Hanks and McKellan are my 1st and 3rd favourite actors. Ah, well. I'll be getting my McKellan fix next weekend anyway.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
Ian McKellen is awesome in this movie.
 

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
Planet-man said:
I read the book and was underwhemled by it(although it was still good).

I intended to see the movie until I read the reviews(16% on RottenTomatoes!:shock: ). It's a shame, because Hanks and McKellan are my 1st and 3rd favourite actors. Ah, well. I'll be getting my McKellan fix next weekend anyway.

The critics are laying it on thick.

It opened Canne and these critics are notoriously ravenous. Then it tends to spiral out of control from here because easily 25% to 33% of small time critics are aware of what their big league colleagues have written and don't want to go too far out of line. Then there are the alternative medias where the critics will systematically slam anything 'mainstream', especially big productions. So you end up with 16%.

It's not that bad. Without all the drama and glamour surrounding the movie, it'd be a 50 to 60% movie. And if you liked the book, odds are fairly good you'll emjoy the movie.
 
Last edited:

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
15,570
Location
Mormon Land.
I loved the acting and story was very interesting and shocking. I loved the twists. It was one of the best mysteries I ever seen. I love all the acting picks.

My only disappointment was that Magento and Doc Ock never met face to face.:wink:


A
 

Random

Didn't **** any of those *****es
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
13,680
Location
Philadelphia, PA
The movie was okay. I didnt read the book (I dont read) but could follow it well, it just seemed a little rush and not enough emotion in most of the dialogue. I was hoping they would have more clues that Da Vinci left or something like that. And I saw the big reveal from a mile away.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
thee great one said:

My only disappointment was that Magento and Doc Ock never met face to face.:wink:
Didn't realize Marvel villains were in the movie. Did Galactus make an appearance? :wink:


Anywho's, not interested in this. Trailer looks like crap. So no thanks. My church was doing the whole "Don't go see it" talk, but whether or not they did that, still wasn't going to see it.
 

Random

Didn't **** any of those *****es
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
13,680
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Ice said:
Anywho's, not interested in this. Trailer looks like crap. So no thanks. My church was doing the whole "Don't go see it" talk, but whether or not they did that, still wasn't going to see it.
I hate that whole religious discussion. IT'S A FICTIONAL BOOK!!! Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. I saw this thing on a the Sci-fi channel. These guys talk about inaccuracies from the book like how he said a painting was 5 feet when really its 6.5... who gives a ****? Of course there's going to be inaccuratcies IT'S FICTIONAL!! Things are changes to help the story he wants to tell. And they said that the book was a deliberate attack on the church. and that there are people who think its real and take the book as fact, who cares those people are probably stupid anyway. I can't stand these whiney people who flip out about little things like a book, really do they think that people will believe anything an take it to fact just because its written in some book..... :shifty: ... wait until they see Dogma
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
Random said:
I hate that whole religious discussion. IT'S A FICTIONAL BOOK!!! Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. I saw this thing on a the Sci-fi channel. These guys talk about inaccuracies from the book like how he said a painting was 5 feet when really its 6.5... who gives a ****? Of course there's going to be inaccuratcies IT'S FICTIONAL!! Things are changes to help the story he wants to tell. And they said that the book was a deliberate attack on the church. and that there are people who think its real and take the book as fact, who cares those people are probably stupid anyway. I can't stand these whiney people who flip out about little things like a book, really do they think that people will believe anything an take it to fact just because its written in some book..... :shifty: ... wait until they see Dogma
They're more worried about people loosing faith and what not than whether or not it's real.

What I heard, the church has fair points. But like I said, I was never interested in the movie anyways.
 

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
Considering the Bible itself is for the most part a work of fiction, their complaints are kinda ironic.
 
Last edited:

Random

Didn't **** any of those *****es
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
13,680
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Ice said:
They're more worried about people loosing faith and what not than whether or not it's real.

What I heard, the church has fair points. But like I said, I was never interested in the movie anyways.
I understand its just that I think they are overreacting. I think a lot more people lost faith in those molesting scandals than a story were the church was more fanatical and was covering things up. But really the church has had corruption in the past so its not like the idea of a corrupt church is anything new. They're just overacting to something thats not a big deal.

E.Vi.L. said:
Considering the Bible itself is for the most part a work of fiction, this is kinda ironic.
Actually its consider a very good historical reference and record
 
Last edited:

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
It's funny.

The people in the local newspaper think the movie is crap because it's inaccurate.

There reasons?

Because women weren't very important back then, so Jesus wouldn't have married one.

Or that the panel of that floor doesn't look like that.

Ridiculous.

And I also agree with the religious discussion. It's stupid. I noticed a sign when I was going into the theatre, warning people that the movie was very religious-based.

Stupid.
 

Dr_Draco

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
387
Location
Titusville, FL
Well, Da Vinci Code may end up #1 this weekend, but I have a feeling it will plummet fast.

Both days I worked this weekend, over half the people leaving Da Vinci Code made off-hand comments like "God, that was boring", "We should've went to Over the Hedge", "That piece of crap is what causing such a big uproar?"... Just to name a few comments I personally heard.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
25,007
On the radio I heard it made the top grossing movie at the Box Office.
 

Dr_Draco

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
387
Location
Titusville, FL
ProjectX2 said:
On the radio I heard it made the top grossing movie at the Box Office.

Don't doubt it, we were extremely busy this weekend. Even on Saturday, with two high school graduations going on that day... It's definitely one of those everyone saw when it came out, but a good chunk didn't like.
 

Latest posts

Top