Da Vinci Code

Spade said:
well, i am a Christian and i am sure this movie is entertaining but im not gonna see it till its on tv or sumthin. If you ask me anyone who believes this Christian or non needs a brain examine.

Why? I'm not saying I believe it fully or anything, but I think it could be more realistic than many other religions.

Spade said:
theres like no facts supporting it

... The entire movie and book is stating facts that can support this. Is there fact to support that Jesus can turn water into wine, etc.?

ProjectX2 said:
Why? I'm not saying I believe it fully or anything, but I think it could be more realistic than many other religions.
Scientology

Spade said:
...Scientology

ProjectX2 said:
... The entire movie and book is stating facts that can support this. Is there fact to support that Jesus can turn water into wine, etc.?
Actually it was pretty inaccurate in some areas, but thats just to fit the story, Like Da Vinci was very dedicated to the church and Constantine Was all about chirstianity or something like that.

ProjectX2 said:

Actually the only fact I can see is that these extra Gospels are true. Too bad they were written a hundred years or so after the guys who were supposed to have written them are dead. All the other "facts" like the Priory of Scion (or Zion?) and the Merovingian bloodline have been debunked by secular historians already. The historical accounts they made are pretty questionable. History is both objective and subjective. There are facts like we all know, such as how or when, or who did this and that, but things such as 'why' is rather subjective since we can only interpret why people do their actions in history, and it is also based on the historian's bias on the subject.

If Robert Langdon existed in the real world, he would have scoffed at the claims as well like the way he reacted to Leigh's theories in the movie. The only reason why he believed in the film/novel was because of the actual proof in their universe that claims that all these hogwash are real.

It's actually pretty sad that a good number of people are getting duped by this, simply because they don't really know how to research a lot or read more books regarding this. I think it's because people feel "enlightened" when they think that they have found out something that is considered "secret knowledge" and preaches ideologies deviant to what is normally accepted.

Regarding the fears of churches and many Christians, I'd like to say that if Christians are actually swayed by this book and the film to believe otherwise, they were probably not Christians in the first place. The Bible is there, the many extra-bibilical and historical documents are there, not to mention your personal faith to prove against the claims of the book/film. I think if Christian organizations spent more time educating their flock more and get the facts straight, instead of crying out to ban/boycott this film that would generate more interest, they won't have problems with the Da Vinci Code.

About the film, I can see what went wrong. I think it was too long and predictable if you've read the book. I actually enjoyed it a little more being a non-reader (I'm not a big fan of novel reading, dunno why.) because I didn't know what was going to happen.

Last edited:
Spade said:

There's very few facts from any holy of the holy scripures that can be verified, period.

Random said:
Actually its consider a very good historical reference and record

By devout christians.

Historians have more trouble extracting useful information from it.

The Four Gospels have been written by folks who never met Jesus, 70 to 130 years after the facts and without verifiable source (expect each other!). From a historic point of view, there isn't a lot to get out of it. But then again, if you are studying a historical Jesus, you don't have much else to go on except for the other rejected Gospels.

The old testament is actually more useful as a historical because it alludes to quite a few historical events. But it does so with a very strong bias and interject a lot of pure myth in the mix. Understandable. This was supposed to explain to the faithful why they were the chosen people, not serve as a historical chronicle. Usually, historians try to see how the facts fit the Bible, not how the Bible can lead them to facts.

And obviously there should be no question that the Genesis is the judeo-christian creation myth, nothing more, nothing less. I gotta say it is a fairly good one. I prefer the Ancient Greek's myth, it's more tragic, but the Garden of Eden concept from Genesis has been adapted often in art and has proved very potent in literrature.

There is no question that the Bible has been one of the most influential book in history. But as a historical documents, it is of limited use.

Anyway, if you can write that Jesus walked on water, I don't see why you can't write that he had a wife. Neither can be verified.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
There's very few facts from any holy of the holy scripures that can be verified, period.

By devout christians.

Historians have more trouble extracting useful information from it.

The Four Gospels have been written by folks who never met Jesus, 70 to 130 years after the facts and without verifiable source (expect each other!). From a historic point of view, there isn't a lot to get out of it. But then again, if you are studying a historical Jesus, you don't have much else to go on except for the other rejected Gospels.

The old testament is actually more useful as a historical because it alludes to quite a few historical events. But it does so with a very strong bias and interject a lot of pure myth in the mix. Understandable. This was supposed to explain to the faithful why they were the chosen people, not serve as a historical chronicle. Usually, historians try to see how the facts fit the Bible, not how the Bible can lead them to facts.

And obviously there should be no question that the Genesis is the judeo-christian creation myth, nothing more, nothing less. I gotta say it is a fairly good one. I prefer the Ancient Greek's myth, it's more tragic, but the Garden of Eden concept from Genesis has been adapted often in art and has proved very potent in literrature.

There is no question that the Bible has been one of the most influential book in history. But as a historical documents, it is of limited use.

Anyway, if you can write that Jesus walked on water, I don't see why you can't write that he had a wife. Neither can be verified.

Neither can we verify whether you're a virgin or not. :wink:

Ok, so I've just lost all hope for America's youth...

I was joking around with one of my co-workers at the theater. Anyhow, I asked her if she'd seen Da Vinci Code yet. She said no, so be a sarcastic arse I said, "Well, Da Vinci dies at the end of the movie."

She proceeded to get pissed at me for ruining the ending. I didn't know whether to die laughing or cry...

Dr_Draco said:

I was joking around with one of my co-workers at the theater. Anyhow, I asked her if she'd seen Da Vinci Code yet. She said no, so be a sarcastic arse I said, "Well, Da Vinci dies at the end of the movie."

She proceeded to get pissed at me for ruining the ending. I didn't know whether to die laughing or cry...
You should have copped an attitude and said, "B****, Da Vinci lived in the 15th century. He's been dead for almost five hundred years. Now sit your ignorant a** down and shut up." I only say you should say that because she deserved it and how many times in your life are you going to have the oppurtunity to do so.

Last edited:
Dr_Draco said:

You just made my day, Dr.D. Thank you.

:lol:

Dr_Draco said:
True, though being her boss, I don't think that would've went over too well, lol...
If only she were some random dumb a**.

Last edited:
Dr_Draco said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This weekend, Da Vinci Code became only the second film of 2006 to pass the $200 million dollar mark at the U.S. box office. X-Men: The Last Stand was the first to, and they did it in a much shorter period of time, further proving that the geeks are inheriting the Earth... or maybe just the entertainment industry.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Is there a thread for the book?

There was a long time ago, but now we just post about books in the "What do you read?" thread.

Latest posts

Back