Daredevil by Mark Waid and Paolo Rivera (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
Not sure how I feel about this. It wasn't glaringly bad, so that's something.

Actually the story itself was pretty decent. I guess any problems I have with it are more conceptual and I need to give it a chance to prove itself.

I didn't care much about Daredevil until toward the end of Bendis's run, so my familiarity with it is as a dark, "sketchy" book that deals mostly with Matt trying very hard to protect his identity or bottle it back up. And it worked extremely well. Most of Brubaker's run followed this and it was just an amazing, consistently solid book.

This is different. It's not dark at all yet, either in tone or in the art itself. In fact, it's pretty bright. I love Paolo Rivera's work and artistically it looks great, but the lack of gritty darkness is glaring and I don't know if I like it. Also, Matt seems...happy, or close to it. I'm not used to that. Any time he gets even a glimmer of happiness it is ripped away from him. That foreboding tone is gone...it's weird.

I'll keep reading. Hopefully I'll get used to the new style.

I really liked it. It's time for a change - and not a stupid one like Shadowland.

I enjoyed the focus on Matt Murdock and all the little ways he uses his senses. I've never really seen a writer explore Matt's abilities so I'm excited to see how Waid develops them.

I agree that Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin are odd choices for Daredevil but they are great artists and their work fits this new tone the comic is trying to establish.

Most of all, I'm just glad I can read one of my favourite characters again.

Latest posts

Back