Daredevil: The Target

ourchair

Hey does anybody know what the status of this mini is? I'm under the impression that it is entirely cancelled, but I don't recall ever hearing an official announcement on Marvel's part.

For those who don't remember this was supposed to be Kevin Smith's vanity series in which Daredevil and Bullseye were to face off for the first time since Karen Page's death. At the time, there was a moratorium on Bullseye that prevented Bendis from using the arrogant assassin in his own run.

Of course, Kevin Smith being Kevin Smith, the series became the sidekick to Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do and never received an # 2. What's interesting to notice that in the past three years, almost all discussions of Smith's commitment problems fail to mention this mini.

Eventually, Bendis was able to use Bullseye a year later after the complaints boiled to a critical leve. So did the series get officially cancelled and I wasn't looking or this a case of Marvel and Co. just pretending it doesn't exist?

I loved Guardian Devil. I don't care if Smith takes 1000 years to finish it. I bet it's still a great match up. He does kinda suck with these delays though and it's not even the delays but just the fact that it's a mystery. I never read the first issue. Was it good?

icemastertron said:
Kevin Smith is finishing this up. But with currently filming: CLERKS 2: Passion of the Clerks, you'll have to wait even longer for him to finish the last issues.

Don't worry. Give it about 3 years.
Thanks for the speedy answer, Ice.

I no longer care whether he finishes it or not since at this point, the confrontation is irrelevant. Daredevil already gave Bullseye a good smacking shortly before he took down Kingpin. The Target is pointless now.

I ask mainly because The Target has been a recurring gag between me and my friends for quite awhile now, even the non-comic reading ones. We'd hold special toasts to The Target, and use "when issue 2 arrives" as a metaphor for anything that takes forever.

I just wanted to know whether the longevity of our jokes has expired yet. I mean, I can't say five year delayed if it was cancelled yes? Glad to know I can continue to make fun of it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I loved Guardian Devil. I don't care if Smith takes 1000 years to finish it. I bet it's still a great match up. He does kinda suck with these delays though and it's not even the delays but just the fact that it's a mystery. I never read the first issue. Was it good?

Excellent actually.

When the Kuberts went DC exclusive JoeyQ made a comment about Adam having to finish off Target#2 when he was asked about outstanding work on their parts but......it should be done soon-ish seeing as Black Cat is done now and Clerks2 is well on its way.

I had mixed feelings.

Starting out the story by comparing Daredevil's pain with the 9/11 seems like such a shallow juxtaposition, and the narration is kind of overwrought and melodramatic.

I'm intrigued by Bullseye's mission, but it feels like Smith is making bad caricatures out of Middle Eastern terrorists even as his characters point out what big caricatures they are. It's like irony that shoots itself.

On the other hand, I liked Glenn Fabry's art. His gritty and unglamorously grotesque approach to characterization really suits the tone, and I think his toothy snarls also bring a sinister edge to the villains and even Daredevil's rage.

Johnny Bravo said:
When the Kuberts went DC exclusive
WTF?! Is there a thread announcing/discussing this, here at UC? I wasn't aware of this happening. How long ago did it take place?

Anyway, it makes sense, I guess -- it feels like there aren't any Marvel characters left for whom they hadn't already illustrated a story.

compound said:
WTF?! Is there a thread announcing/discussing this, here at UC? I wasn't aware of this happening. How long ago did it take place?

Anyway, it makes sense, I guess -- it feels like there aren't any Marvel characters left for whom they hadn't already illustrated a story.
It was quite awhile back that they signed exclusivity with DC. I don't recall it being announced on the site, but I do remember reading about it.

In any case, it's not supposed to interfere with their existing commitments. I have a feeling though that Smith is going to take so long in finishing Target that either Kubert won't be doing # 3 and onwards, or he won't be doing anything for The Target AT ALL.

ourchair said:
It was quite awhile back that they signed exclusivity with DC. I don't recall it being announced on the site, but I do remember reading about it.
I mentioned it. We're supposed to be getting a Morrison-Kubert Batman run after IC, and the Kubert Hawkman cover was simply amazing....

Baxter said:
I mentioned it. We're supposed to be getting a Morrison-Kubert Batman run after IC, and the Kubert Hawkman cover was simply amazing....
Ah. Indeed.

Now back on topic: boy is Kevin Smith a hack or what?

I bought the first issue because I was on a Daredevil trip post-Underboss/Out, and it was alright. Nothing special.

Whatever happens to this mini, I'd probably still end up finding more reasons to hate Kevin Smith. I mean if Daredevil: The Target # 2 finally came out, I'm inclined to irately wonder why he even bothered (especially since the whole Bullseye-Daredevil 'let's settle THE grudge' premise was done a LONG time ago in Bendis' run)

In any case, it's a big slap in the face to all the other talents who actually turn work in on time. However, if this NEVER gets finished it's also a big insult to everyone like me who bought the first issue.

I bought the first issue because I was on a Daredevil trip post-Underboss/Out, and it was alright. Nothing special.

Whatever happens to this mini, I'd probably still end up finding more reasons to hate Kevin Smith. I mean if Daredevil: The Target # 2 finally came out, I'm inclined to irately wonder why he even bothered (especially since the whole Bullseye-Daredevil 'let's settle THE grudge' premise was done a LONG time ago in Bendis' run)

In any case, it's a big slap in the face to all the other talents who actually turn work in on time. However, if this NEVER gets finished it's also a big insult to everyone like me who bought the first issue.

The world hates you Ourchair, haven't you figured this out yet?

Dear God, this still hasn't come out?
The entire View Askew series of films is about guys who won't come out and admit to their barely suppressed homosexual urges.

Therefore 'coming out' is something that is impossible for Kevin Smith to tackle.

Latest posts

Back