DC Cinematic Universe - Upcoming Films

A Batman/Superman movie heavily inspired by Dark Knight Returns could be stellar.

But another Snyder/Goyer team-up at the heart of it worries me.

I guess I mean that the announcement is hollow and doesn't mean anything. To me it comes off as a symbolic "here's some candy now shut up" gesture from DC/WB.

Granted I've never been to SDCC, but it seems like that's the name of the game. I'm not sure how WB/DC's announcement was any different than what Marvel had, other than Marvel just being further along in the process.

I'm looking forward to Superman vs Batman as long as Batman isn't the focus hog he always is. It will also introduce kryptonite I think

I'm looking forward to Superman vs Batman as long as Batman isn't the focus hog he always is. It will also introduce kryptonite I think

Agreed. I'd actually like to see Batman represented mysteriously in the BvsS movie. I'd rather they not even reveal him to be Bruce Wayne or show him out of costume to maintain that mystery (even though the audience already knows), I'd prefer the Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Batcave, etc be reserved for a solo Batman film (which will assuredly happen eventually). Also hoping they utilize the Batman attitude towards Superman from Miller's TDK universe, and hopefully that'll carry over into the JL film. After all, I can't think of a better and more humorous scene than the one from AS Batman & Robin than the meeting with Green Lantern where the room and their costumes are painted yellow (arguably the most worthwhile part of the AS run).

But I would love to see a certain aspect of mystery and disconnect towards the Batman character in this universe, at least initially in this film.

Oh. My. Flipping. Goodness. A... Real life.... Upcoming... SUPERMAN/BATMAN CROSSOVER FILM?!?!?! [Angelic music plays, a heavenly light shines on Christopher Nolan] FINALLY!!!

Ok look, I'm a huge fan of comic books and my all time favorite superhero is Superman but.... Having him be side to side with BATMAN, THE DARK KNIGHT.... I'm looking forward for this epic awesome and entirely over waited for film... God bless you, Christopher Nolan! :):):):)

Christopher Nolan has nothing to do with it.

I'm starting to get pretty nervous about this Batman/Superman movie. I've read rumors that WB is looking at an older actor (approximately 40), and that their favorite is Josh Brolin. If that's true, I just don't see it. Batman should be roughly the same age as Superman, and I don't want some sort of mentor/mentee relationship. Or worse yet, a movie where they are completely at odds the entire time.

I still think it's weird that so much of this (so far at least) seems to be based off of The Dark Knight Returns. Why read an excerpt from that book with the announcement? It's not even really about Batman's relationship with Superman, as Superman is a fairly minor character from what I remember. I dunno, I'm just starting to get a bit worried. Hopefully they don't f*** this up.

I'm starting to get pretty nervous about this Batman/Superman movie. I've read rumors that WB is looking at an older actor (approximately 40), and that their favorite is Josh Brolin. If that's true, I just don't see it. Batman should be roughly the same age as Superman, and I don't want some sort of mentor/mentee relationship. Or worse yet, a movie where they are completely at odds the entire time.

I still think it's weird that so much of this (so far at least) seems to be based off of The Dark Knight Returns. Why read an excerpt from that book with the announcement? It's not even really about Batman's relationship with Superman, as Superman is a fairly minor character from what I remember. I dunno, I'm just starting to get a bit worried. Hopefully they don't f*** this up.

I agree in part. I do think its a better idea to have a Batman in his younger or mid 30's, around Superman's age. However, I'd like to see Batman as far more seasoned and cynical, showing he's been doing the Batman thing for awhile, 5-6 years or so. If they start him off in his early to mid 40's as casting rumors say (and Ryan Gosling...seriously? WTF?), he's essentially already at the end of his career. I don't think we need yet another origin story, but it'd be nice to see them explore the middle part of his tenure as Batman, the real meat, if you will.

As for why they read an excerpt from The Dark Knight Returns at the announcement, its probably because its a seminal part of Batman mythology, and features arguably the best and most memorable fight between the two, chock full of great lines by Batman. I can see why they'd want to have that influence the film. I just hope they're a bit more imaginative and forward thinking and use it as influence, not necessarily as a blueprint they can't deviate from. Course, film makers' egos tend to always cause them to change or alter things, so I doubt that'll be a problem.

Apparently a UK actor named Scott Adkins has auditioned for Batman in Batman/Superman. I know nothing about him as an actor, but he does look the part, and seems to be some sort of martial arts expert which is a cool touch. Definitely looks better than some of the other rumored contenders (Josh Brolin, Richard Armitage, Ryan Gosling, Joe Manganiello, Matthew Goode, and some guy named Max Martini).

Also, Bryan Cranston and Mark Strong are rumored to be up for Lex Luthor.

Interesting. So two of America's premiere superheroes could both potentially be played by Brits.

The one plus of Snyder directing the film is I'm hoping he brings the same kinetic sense of energy and style he brought to Man of Steel's fight scenes to Batman's combat. My biggest gripe about ALL the previous Batman films (the Burton, Schumacher, and even Nolan's) was Batman's movement was too static and rigid, and involved far too many close-ups/quick cuts. The combat overall was unimpressive, and that's a huge shame since Batman is known for his fighting abilities.

Realistically that's because of the costume/suit, which severely limited movement, but that's something I hope Snyder and the art/costume dept get right this time around. Make some armor that's lightweight, plated and allow for agile movement.

I'm hoping Snyder can pull off something akin to Batman's combat in the Arkham games, something this trailer does a great job of illustrating:

http://youtu.be/muCtJsy-d9w

I think Adkins could be a good choice, assuming he can act the part as well as pull off the martial arts. With some wire work, an actor who's actually a martial artist and not just trained for the film, and the right framing, zoom, and camera movements, this could potentially be the best Batman film in terms of fight scenes (its doubtful it'll beat The Dark Knight in terms of story or acting).

Yeah, Batman's fighting ability in the movies has always been lacking. You're probably right that a lot of it has to do with the suit. Surely they could make a special version of the suit specifically for fight scenes that is lighter and less restrictive. Whatever minor differences from the actual costume could be edited with CGI or whatever. I mean they made the entire Green Lantern suit with CGI?!

My assumption was that the Batman/Superman movie was supposed to segue into a Justice League movie of some kind. On one hand it seemed like a good idea because it would save them from having to introduce Batman and Superman to each other in the Justice League movie and would allow more screentime for characters like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, The Flash, etc. On the other hand, Batman would be old as **** in the Justice League movie (it actually irks me how noticeable RDJ's age is in the Marvel movies). Maybe it's too early to be talking about Justice League, but Batman being old just seems unnecessary. I remember Snyder saying a couple years ago that he would adapt Dark Knight Returns if he ever got the chance. I'm worried that he's taking superficial bits and pieces from that story and is going to completely lift the page where Batman is kicking Superman's head in and goes "I want you to remember the one man who beat you." I can already tell it's just going to become this argument for how much "better" Batman is than Superman and I can already hear the idiots cheering in the audience when that scene happens. It's only going to reinforce the impression that I got from Man of Steel - that Zack Snyder doesn't give a **** about Superman and is intent on making everything as dark as possible (which is what his "Superman" movie was). Obviously you can't really have a movie with Batman and Superman and disregard the age-old rivalry between the two, but Christ, Frank Miller is being brought on board as a consultant? Do you remember his treatment for the Batman: Year One movie, and have you read Holy Terror and ASB&RTBW?

Latest posts

Back