"Death". Does it matter anymore?

"If the Sun dies...We all die."

Last edited:
"No one in comics stays dead except Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben." Now it's "No one in comics stays dead except Uncle Ben." It will soon be "No one in comics stays dead." after someone comes along with some idiotic story about Ben coming back.
Uncle Ben is alive in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man but he is an example of
Ice said:
characters from other dimensions

Let's say they kill off spider-man. He should stay dead unless when they bring him back it is a damn good story and has him be darker or very different for at least a year before slowly adjusting to been back.
They did kill off Spider-Man (The Other), and then brought him back in two to three issues... As if he needed to die for some reason.

But isn't it a little hard to kill off characters with a monthly or two and the occasional mini?
Better to avoid it in IMO.

Last edited:
But isn't it a little hard to kill off charcters with a monthly or two and the occasional mini?
Better to avoid it in IMO.

Yeah it is. This is how I would do it. I'll use spider-man again as e.g

During the clone saga Peter saved the one who was a clone. Peter dies new one takes over.

Maybe that is explaining it wrong but I meant like they do with power rangers. Every year a new group takes over.

How about every 10 years or so when a character has been done to death and is loosing fans you kill them off and have a new one take over.

Works with villains all the time and is a cool way to restart or refresh. After a few years if it fails THEN bring back orginal.

I think someone else described best as each generation gets their own version of the hero. Also alows the heroes to age with the rest of us in real time.

Some people who have no powers e.g batman. How about one of those robins grows up and takes over from bruce since he trained them to do so.

Real comic book deaths have been done,the last good comic book death was in the 1980`s.I guess it could be said that writers have no fresh ideas,and need to kill and bring back characters for shock value.

I hate to admit it, I'm old enough to remember Barry and Kara's deaths in CoIE. People *****ed then too, saying that Wolfman and the others had run out of ideas. Hell, people forget that the Joker was killed by Batman in his second appearance, only to be retconned back to life.

I hate to admit it, I'm old enough to remember Barry and Kara's deaths in CoIE. People *****ed then too, saying that Wolfman and the others had run out of ideas. Hell, people forget that the Joker was killed by Batman in his second appearance, only to be retconned back to life.

I don't think killing characters shows you've run out of ideas, I think it's the resurrections that are cop-outs.

Latest posts

Back