Detonator = The First Victim?

Steve GMan

I'm referring to Detonator from #26 and the Sentinel victime from the beginning of #1. I thought I heard that they were the same kid, and that always made sense to me. If you look at the similarities and the way that Detonator was played up in that issue, he seemed too important and I always thought it was a nice touch by Millar by making a nod back to his first issue, and really first character that he created on the book. None of his appearances in UXM contradict, but I wonder what others think.

Last edited:
It would be pretty cool if that guy was Detonator, but I don't think he is, as I believe he blew himself up along with a chunk of The Pentagon.

BTW, we need a poll. :D

He doesn't die when he blows up, that is his power. When he is trying to keep the honkies from shooting him he tells them that he doesn't explode on purpose, indicating that he blows up a lot.

I do think that he was the guy that got stepped on, because afterwards one of the news networks says that the sentinals eradicated a mutant terrorist cell in L.A.

Iceshadow said:
He doesn't die when he blows up, that is his power. When he is trying to keep the honkies from shooting him he tells them that he doesn't explode on purpose, indicating that he blows up a lot.

I do think that he was the guy that got stepped on, because afterwards one of the news networks says that the sentinals eradicated a mutant terrorist cell in L.A.

Yes, but didn't the guy get crushed in New York City? :?

And good point with the exploding. Though I'm sure once you try to blow up The Pentagon, you're not going to live for much longer anyway. :D

TheManWithoutFear said:
This isn't an issue. You see a black kid with a shaved head. The kid was killed in the first issue, it's not Detonator.

I was discussing it in other thread, and to not have it got off-topic, I wanted to bring it here.

Honestly, if you don't like it, don't respond.

The Pentagon happened before the sentinals (I think).

Originally Posted By ProjectX2
Yes, but didn't the guy get crushed in New York City?

Pretty sure it was L.A., someone should check that.

And good point with the exploding. Though I'm sure once you try to blow up The Pentagon, you're not going to live for much longer anyway.

Your right he didn't, he got squashed as punishment. :D

Steve GMan said:
I was discussing it in other thread, and to not have it got off-topic, I wanted to bring it here.

Honestly, if you don't like it, don't respond.

Free country. *Sticks tongue out*

I think this is almost as bad as Betty/Fury. By the time New York happened Detonator was a terrorist. Full blown Brotherhood member who could give a flying **** about the human race. The kid who got stomped on was a kid. An innocent mutant walking his dog. Not a fearless terrorist.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Free country. *Sticks tongue out*

If you keep doing that, your face will stay that way. :p

TheManWithoutFear said:
I think this is almost as bad as Betty/Fury. By the time New York happened Detonator was a terrorist. Full blown Brotherhood member who could give a flying **** about the human race. The kid who got stomped on was a kid. An innocent mutant walking his dog. Not a fearless terrorist.

I'm sorry you think it's stupid. I like to think that it was just a nice touch by Millar.

And if you read closely between the lines, there was clear implications of a threeway with Detonator, Fury, and Betty.

Alright, I'm going to go read The Tomorrow People and Return of the King to see what's going on. I don't have a scanner, so I can't scan in pictures. :(

EDIT: Holy crap, the similarities are uncanny. I may have to admit I was wrong. Though I don't see how the U.S. Army would let a mutant who had just blown up The Pentagon back into L.A....

Last edited:
One has a bad-*** mutant who had the balls to run into a high-security area by himself. Detonator's also most likely alive. This is not the first time that he has used his mutant abilities considering the reason why he was being mobbed by rednecks was he already used his powers before. Detonator is a nice mutant version of a suicide bomber which is a common kind of terrorist, except he can still walk away after he does his job.

The other is a poor kid who's barely in his teens running in fear and full of tears as a gigantic Sentinel seeks to put him out of his misery, and his little dog too.

The only similarities between the two is that they're black and mutants. Perhaps it's simply Millar trying to make parallels between both kinds of racism. That's it. Whatever Millar's motives are, I'm pretty sure that those two are not the same.

Steve GMan said:
And if you read closely between the lines, there was clear implications of a threeway with Detonator, Fury, and Betty.

Ok.....see now THAT was a great sarcastic reply. Jolly good.....

The hair is the same too. I think it would be a good ring structure if this were true. And according to Goodwill, it may be.

Sa-weet!

Goodwill said:
I believe Millar said that Detonator first appeared in issue 1.

Yeah, I remember reading that, too. Maybe during an interview or one of his MillarHour's. Unfortunately, I can't find anything, but it's good that someone else remembers him saying that and I'm not crazy.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Show me where he said that and I will resign from the site. If that is him, it's one of the most retarded things ever.

Luckily I just found this:

Mark Millar said:
Yes, Detonator was the first victime of the Sentinel attacks. It was bloody smart, you fat American cow.

Latest posts

Back