Discovery Channel - The First Time Machine

Okay, I just watched this.

And this guy is a hack.

I mean, I could build a machine that twists light so that it blinds everyone looking at me, then have a trapdoor underneath, so when the lgiht show stops, I'm not there, and come running in through the door minutes later.

It's a magic show people, smoke and mirrors.

It's even worse that this guy is obbessed by this concept.

NEXT

Somebody watching The Prestige a bit too much.:roll:

And the machine doesn't twist light, it uses light to twist space. The light is the spoon, the space is the coffee. He clearly explained it.

You didn't understand what I was saying either, but that's quite alright, obviously you ditched reality awhile ago, so I'll leave you to believe in the silly little light machine that makes the same amount of gravity pull as a black hole to bend space.

One time I drank a cup of coffee and next thing I knew it was totally 1963. I completely saved Kennedy.

Go science!

Unfortunately, the Argiopes (I think thats what the time-spiders from UFF were called) then ate Joe, digested him, and crapped out the re-adjusted reality we all know (with Kennedy dead...cuz he's still dead).

You can't beat the Time Spiders, people.

You didn't understand what I was saying either, but that's quite alright, obviously you ditched reality awhile ago, so I'll leave you to believe in the silly little light machine that makes the same amount of gravity pull as a black hole to bend space.

:roll:

Intrigued by a plausible application of a fascinating concept that's starting to turn a lot of heads = ditching reality?

Aren't you supposed to be a scientist or something? That seems like a pretty skewed equation to me.

Unfortunately, the Argiopes (I think thats what the time-spiders from UFF were called) then ate Joe, digested him, and crapped out the re-adjusted reality we all know (with Kennedy dead...cuz he's still dead).

You can't beat the Time Spiders, people.

For the last time, I'm not spider crap!

:roll:

Intrigued by a plausible application of a fascinating concept that's starting to turn a lot of heads = ditching reality?

Aren't you supposed to be a scientist or something? That seems like a pretty skewed equation to me.

Eh, it makes sense. After all, aren't all scientists supposed to be cynics? If so, VVD and MWOF need to change careers.

For the last time, I'm not spider crap!

Fine...you're Spider-Feces.

Last edited:
I have no idea how this thread slipped past me, but I was doing a search to look for a time topic I brought up, and found this instead.

Time travel is impossible, mainly because, there is nowhere to go. I concur with Moonmaster on this one.

Time is merely a preception we have, nothing more.

I firmly believe that the our 'preception of time' is cyclical as well.
It doesn't mean that time travel isn't possible, it just means that it's not an act of moving from Point A to Point B. It's just a matter of realizing something and being there. People time travel all the time in dreams, and through meditation and hallucinogenic drugs. I was just reading something the other day about how LSD test subjects during the 50s were able to "see" through the eyes of various people and animals, sometimes from far in the past or future, recounting obscure details that they could never have known. Spacetime is an object, not a field or a line.

By the way, could someone give me a synopsis of the video from the first post? My computer's too slow to watch it and I feel a bit uninformed right now.
No, no, thats way too offensive.
:lol:

By the way, could someone give me a synopsis of the video from the first post? My computer's too slow to watch it and I feel a bit uninformed right now.

I watched it at work so I'm 100% certain about everything in it, but it seemed to be a video about some guy stirring coffee.

Basically a scientist is trying to create a 'time telephone'. The idea is not to travel through time, but rather, to create a machine that would create a informational passage to the future.

It would only work from the moment it is initially turned on however, so if it were turned on in say, May 13th 2001, you wouldn't be able to access May 12th 2001. It's also conceivable as soon as it is turned on a deluge of messages from the future would be immediately intercepted as they would've been sent backwards into the informational passage some time in the future.

The premise is explained through the use of coffee. If you stir coffee, then put a single coffee bean into the swirling coffee, it will continue to spin because the coffee is still moving. The bean itself isn't moving, but it's being propelled by the coffee.

The idea is essentially that premise, with particles instead of coffee beans and space instead of coffee. It would be like creating something akin to a black hole to make the particle travel faster than light to allow it to time travel in some fashion.

I don't really get how the methodology works, and I don't get the science, and to be honest, I don't much care. However, the concept of a 'time telephone' sounds like a plausible way for time travel to occur, and is quite an interesting concept in itself, regardless of the science used to justify the idea.

It doesn't mean that time travel isn't possible, it just means that it's not an act of moving from Point A to Point B. It's just a matter of realizing something and being there. People time travel all the time in dreams, and through meditation and hallucinogenic drugs. I was just reading something the other day about how LSD test subjects during the 50s were able to "see" through the eyes of various people and animals, sometimes from far in the past or future, recounting obscure details that they could never have known. Spacetime is an object, not a field or a line.

You oughta read The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. I think you'd enjoy his theory about time(and yes, I know Wells himself wasn't a physicist, but his view is still very insightful).

The first chapter deals with it. The whole book is on Project Gutenberg if you're interested: http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=98531

Basically, his argument for Time being the 4th dimension is very straightforward and simply follows the standards of the other 3 dimensions. You can't observe something that has width if it does not also have height(the 2nd-dimension). You cannot observe something with width and height if it does not also have depth(the 3rd dimension). And finally, you cannot observe something with width, height, and depth if it does not also have duration, a necessity of existence that is often overlooked, and the 4th dimension.

He also stresses what you were saying, about how one can "travel" back in time in their own head, and the question of why they cannot stay there(which is what leads him to the idea of the machine in the first place).

Seriously, give it a read. It's not a long book either, at about 120 pages.

Latest posts

Back