Doctor Who

The new episode was ok. I did like the nod with the book, but what exactly was the point if the doctor being with the monks? Did they have an extra set that they needed to use?

I liked the episode. It was a lark. My only change: The Doctor gets uploaded to the cloud, not Clara. And... his eleven personalities all pop up in the cloud. All eleven faces appear on the screen, and his trick crashes the system.

But it was a parasite, and parasites eat things, but it clearly didn't eat the Doctor's memories, and then the sun goes out from eating the leaf, and the whole star system will cease without it's sun, but no one seemed to care.

It was filler.

But it was a parasite, and parasites eat things, but it clearly didn't eat the Doctor's memories, and then the sun goes out from eating the leaf, and the whole star system will cease without it's sun, but no one seemed to care.

It was filler.

Yeah, So far the back half of this season hasn't been worth the wait. Here's hoping it pulled itself together.

Last edited:
I was hoping Jenna-Louise Coleman would bring some life back into the show but it's so boring now I can't even finish the episodes.

It was filler.

Yep. Made no sense at all.

The episode starting off really well; Clara was intriguing, the two had some nice chemistry and then the "story" kicked in, and no one bothered to point out that no one had bothered to define the monster. Which is why the climax is the Doctor making bizarre, misplaced rants against creationism and God, and then everyone continually repeating over and over again how the monster is supposed to work, and then reiterating and changing the definition of its mechanisms in order to resolve the story. As I was watching it, I could just hear the writer trying to work out what the hell is going on through the dialogue on the page, and having no idea at all.

It's a total fumble.

I miss the Silence and I miss having a mystery that ties the show together.

I remember what Steven Moffat could do with just a single crack in a wall. Where has he gone?

This last one was a step up, but went with the same formula as they are stuck on a vehicle, with a killer alien, and no TARDIS.

WIth a load of Rose and Wolf references.

But I can't find anyone else talking about this, so I'll throw it out there. There was a character named The Professor. This person understood what they found, knew a distress call, was amazingly calm throughout the whole ordeal, quick witted, and mentioned, "I can't be running around like those young ones," in reference to the Doctor.

COME ON! He's a Timelord people.

Timelord.

602127_576820782350829_557007483_n.jpg

This last one was a step up, but went with the same formula as they are stuck on a vehicle, with a killer alien, and no TARDIS.

WIth a load of Rose and Wolf references.

But I can't find anyone else talking about this, so I'll throw it out there. There was a character named The Professor. This person understood what they found, knew a distress call, was amazingly calm throughout the whole ordeal, quick witted, and mentioned, "I can't be running around like those young ones," in reference to the Doctor.

COME ON! He's a Timelord people.

Timelord.

Had the same thought. I hope he's a timelord. I love David Warner.

Also – I keep seeing all these notes that say, "Look at all the Rose references", of which there were two in this episode. The barbie doll and "Hungry Like a Wolf" (which is a reach). Maybe they're clues, but I've seen some people say that these were too obvious. Which is insane. Not every wolf-related sentence is a clue. The Professor kept going on about Ultravox but no one thinks the vampires of Venice are involved in the 50th.

And agreed – it was terribly formulaic.

On the one hand, I am super let-down by the finale. Where was the Silence? I know they think the Doctor is dead, but some reference to them, might have been useful. I'm also annoyed because why did the Silence care so much about Trenzalore? Nothing really happened. In fact, what happened at Trenzalore was that the Doctor didn't answer "the question", and even if he had, the same stuff would've happened, allowing the Intelligence to eat up his time – which is something the Silence would want. Not only that – why couldn't the Doctor "speak falsely or fail to answer"? The only way this isn't a let down is if this isn't "the fall of the Eleventh" and the Doctor will be going back to Trenzalore... but I don't think so. Really disappointed. Been waiting a year for this.

On the other hand, I am really excited to know what is going to happen with John Hurt's Doctor, what his name is, and where in the chronology he fits. It seems the Hurt Doctor has to fit somewhere in a regeneration we haven't seen, so either before Hartnell, inbetween McGann and Eccleston, or after Smith. I'm curious to find out who because I think that will explain a lot of the Silence's desire to stop the Doctor's future (though, again, the question stuff went nowhere – what is his name?!).

That said, I kind of wish that instead of Hurt, it was Paul McGann. I agree with Houde. I think McGann showing up at the end, older and grizzled, as the "Doctor's secret", would be great. Maybe he was, and they couldn't get Eccleston back to bridge the regenerations so they just went with something else? I don't know. I'm putting a lot of hope on the 50th to make sense of what has been an otherwise lackluster season. Come on, Moffat. Write me a Pandorica or an Impossible Astronaut. I still got faith.

I love John hurt and would love to see him take over the role. I think an older doctor would Be a welcome change from the kind of young almost spastic doctors we've had. Internet rumors have him as some kind of 8.5 though. I really hope they're wrong.

Waiting until November is gonna be a pain. :(

But at least it'll be like a birthday gift from Moffat & crew to me. I'll take it!

On the other hand, I am really excited to know what is going to happen with John Hurt's Doctor, what his name is, and where in the chronology he fits. It seems the Hurt Doctor has to fit somewhere in a regeneration we haven't seen, so either before Hartnell, inbetween McGann and Eccleston, or after Smith. I'm curious to find out who because I think that will explain a lot of the Silence's desire to stop the Doctor's future (though, again, the question stuff went nowhere – what is his name?!).

That said, I kind of wish that instead of Hurt, it was Paul McGann. I agree with Houde. I think McGann showing up at the end, older and grizzled, as the "Doctor's secret", would be great. Maybe he was, and they couldn't get Eccleston back to bridge the regenerations so they just went with something else? I don't know. I'm putting a lot of hope on the 50th to make sense of what has been an otherwise lackluster season. Come on, Moffat. Write me a Pandorica or an Impossible Astronaut. I still got faith.

Yeah, I forgot who the 8th doctor was played by and I did some research.

It seems Eccelston wants nothing to do with Who. He was upset with his tenure on it, and how Davis ran things, and that's why he left so early. McGann thinks Eccelston not wanting to be part of it caused Moffat to rewrite his plan and that's why he isn't in it. But again, this could all just be heresy.

I still think John Hurt is the incarnation that destroyed the Medusa Cascade and then regenerated into the ninth.

Now, I love the fact all the Rose references meant nothing.

One day when they've restored all the old Dr. Who episodes (either through recovering the original film that hasn't been destroyed or animating them to the still existing audio), I'm going to sit down and watch the whole damn thing, including the various spin-offs.

I figure it'll take a good 5-10 years of watching to get all caught up, and then, I'll know what the heck you guys are talking about.

Some WHO episodes are just gone. Gone gone. You will be "the fan who waited". Which is an in joke you'd get if you watched the show.

Latest posts

Back