Doctor Who

Some WHO episodes are just gone. Gone gone. You will be "the fan who waited". Which is an in joke you'd get if you watched the show.

Eh, I'd read that even for the episodes whose video and audio were missing/destroyed, they planned on just animating them and re-recording audio with new voice actors based on the old scripts. Now if the scripts are also missing, then yes, in this case my patience wouldn't be a worthwhile virtue.

I have no idea what is happening in Doctor Who anymore but I do like John Hurt so I guess I'll watch the 50th anniversary special and hope it gets me excited for a new series.

Oh man, John Hurt as the Doctor - "Doctor Hurt" - this whole thing was just a tie-in to Grant Morrison's Batman. It all makes sense now!

batman_doctor_deantrippe.jpg

Last edited:
Gone forever, bub.

Maybe not. From the Wikipedia page:

Doctor Who is unique, however, in that all of its missing episodes survive in audio form, recorded off-air by fans at home. Stills or short video clips have been found for several missing episodes. All 1970s episodes also exist visually in some form, which is not the case for several other series.

That's encouraging, at least. Still, some of the earlier episodes from the 1960's are missing, but again I'd think if the scripts still exist (which is entirely possible), they may be able to animate and re-record the audio using new voice actors as stand-ins. They've been animating the episodes whose audio track is still intact, and I could see them trying to tackle those completely missing episodes/serials in that fashion (basically from the ground up if the script is still in existence).

Maybe, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm holding my breath!

**passes out**

**wakes up 20 minutes later**

Anyway, in further research, apparently most of the scripts (if not all) are still in existence for the episodes that are destroyed/missing. So even if both the audio and video tracks are missing of the original, it's possible they could animate it and re-record the audio with new actors. However, there's one problem: cost. The main reason more of the audio only episodes haven't been resurrected in this approach is its not really cost effective or profitable enough. After the first batch were done they stopped due to it being too expensive to make it worthwhile (paying for the animation). Therefore I'd think paying for both animation and audio voice over work would make it even more expensive. So, for now, no such luck. Maybe we'll see some new, less expensive animation techniques in the future that'll make it a viable way of bringing these lost episodes back.

Or maybe Bill Gates is a closet Dr. Who fan and will donate a few hundred million to the effort. ;)

You suck at holding your breath.

I really do. I also suck at walking on my hands, but if that's what it takes to get Miracleman reprinted (even as Marvelman), I'll do it, and happily bloody myself up in the process. I'm like a cast member of Jackass when it comes to self harm in the name of geek culture revival.

Now, I'm going to go stick my hand in the garbage disposal in the hopes they release a new Metroid game for the Wii U. This will admittedly make it difficult to play said theoretical Metroid game, but I'm an illogically determined type.

Imagine if you turned this willpower to things that actually mattered. You're the Ghandi of trivialities.

Probably is. I felt her last scene would be the picnic just before the library. Guess we'll never see that. :-/

Latest posts

Back