Don't Read Ultimates 3

The entire series was utter crap as a whole, and thats how I really rate a mini-series. The first issue was merely ok, tolerable. The rest were abhorrent twistings of an existing character.

First, he managed to make an excuse for Tony's drinking (to dull his constant pain), completely taking away a very interesting human character fault and turning it into a form of self-medication. It makes his only using alcohol to dull his pain (as opposed to stronger drugs, like opiates) strangely heroic. Still irresponsible, but more understandable and forgivable... **** that. I like my Tony a genius, womanizing, alcoholic hero--not a physically regenerating mutant who drinks to dull his constant pain, but who also happens to get plenty of ***.

Card managed to neuter Tony's impending brain tumor storyline--if he has neural tissue ALL over his body, how does a brain tumor become mortal? If his body can heal from wounds and grow back entire limbs as long as Tony's eaten a big meal, why can't he survive a brain tumor, or the surgery required to remove it?

Some can claim this is the Ultimate universe and "new" approaches are good, but this one wasn't. This whole series was crap.

He's talking about Ultimate Iron Man II #1. Not Ultimate Iron Man #1. And he's right: UIMII #1 was decent.

WOuld you guys hate me if i keep buying it?
I will
While it CLEARLY was nowhere NEAR what we've come to expect (from Ultimates), I'll say it again:

a) I stayed with USM for about 50 issues of relative garbage, but now am enjoying it again - and I know many of you have done the same. Who do you think you're fooling by saying you'll ignore this series after only one stinker (granted, with the 'promise' of a few more) :)
Actually USM had a slow decline in quality before turning into complete crap, Plus there was some really good issues before the decline, creative teams haven't changed so there was always the idea it would get better. This is just **** right out the door. Not a good comparison

I will

Actually USM had a slow decline in quality before turning into complete crap, Plus there was some really good issues before the decline, creative teams haven't changed so there was always the idea it would get better. This is just **** right out the door. Not a good comparison

Very true. We knew Bendis could write Ultimate Spider-Man because he had some damn good arcs and storyline set ups early in the title. About 50 good issue, 20 so-so issues, and 30 or so terrible ones. And now, we're back to the good.

Loeb's written his first Ultimates issue and it was completely and utterly atrocious.

He's talking about Ultimate Iron Man II #1. Not Ultimate Iron Man #1. And he's right: UIMII #1 was decent.

Sorry, I forgot to connect the dots (points), or even mention the first one: UIM #1 was ok also, but the rest turned to crap. I only mentioned it in comparison. I'm not passing judgement with UIM II overall, but I wasn't impressed with the first issue, just as I wasn't impressed by the first issue of the first mini series.

Last edited:
Fair enough - Bendis USM was a proven commodity before it stunk

Loeb Ultimates is not.

I guess my only feeling is that many of us (I should be careful here...) are willing to stay with a title we have previously enjoyed (creative changes not withstanding) longer than it deserves, in the hopes that it will 'return to glory'. USM did - Loeb's Ultimates tenure may run out with many of us still hanging on, and having done so for a shorter time period than we did for USM.

I appreciate the back and forth though.

If there's one thing that I think we may unite on, though, its that Ultimates I and II were pretty close to a modern classic. That's why U3 is under such scrutiny in the first place, no? If we weren't so passionate about the medium in general, and those issues specifically, no one would care that U3 #1 was disappointing. (That's why I enjoyed the recent 'Best Ultimate moments' thread!)

Fair enough - Bendis USM was a proven commodity before it stunk

Loeb Ultimates is not.

I guess my only feeling is that many of us (I should be careful here...) are willing to stay with a title we have previously enjoyed (creative changes not withstanding) longer than it deserves, in the hopes that it will 'return to glory'. USM did - Loeb's Ultimates tenure may run out with many of us still hanging on, and having done so for a shorter time period than we did for USM.

I appreciate the back and forth though.

If there's one thing that I think we may unite on, though, its that Ultimates I and II were pretty close to a modern classic. That's why U3 is under such scrutiny in the first place, no? If we weren't so passionate about the medium in general, and those issues specifically, no one would care that U3 #1 was disappointing. (That's why I enjoyed the recent 'Best Ultimate moments' thread!)

Very true.

WOuld you guys hate me if i keep buying it?

I actualy did like it.
....And its only five issues anyway.

Nah, mate. :D

You read it and you enjoy it. Much better than hating it.

'sides - the series already has been sold. It's going to be published. :)

If Ultimates 1 and 2 hadn't happened, and Ultimates 3 was actually the beginning of the Ultimates, I don't think people would have cared much about it. On it's own, it's meh. Confusing, a bit too 90s-ish, but alright. As a follow up to Ultimates 1 and 2, though? It's a downright abomination.

Nah, mate. :D

You read it and you enjoy it. Much better than hating it.

'sides - the series already has been sold. It's going to be published. :)

But people buying it would allow more crap like this published

I just think this is such a wasted opportunity. Loeb even seems to be ignoring the plot threads that Millar left obviously dangling for him.

The Ultimates are supposed to have gone independent right?

You wouldn't know that from Volume 3. Because it's never even ****ing addressed. You could have gotten 3-6 excellent issues just out of the transition of the Ultimates from high-profile military operation to corporate funded superhero group. I mean, exactly what do the independent Ultimates do? Sit around and wait for random villains to attack them? Aren't they supposed to be serving some purpose? This isn't even an Ultimate book anymore. Having lost all ties to the real world, it's just another superhero book.

Why didn't Loeb just launch a new Avengers book? It would be the same thing.

Aargh.

Last edited:
I just think this is such a wasted opportunity. Loeb even seems to be ignoring the plot threads that Millar left obviously dangling for him.

You wouldn't know that from Volume 3. Because it's never even ****ing addressed. You could have gotten 3-6 excellent issues just out of the transition of the Ultimates from high-profile military operation to corporate funded superhero group. I mean, exactly what do the independent Ultimates do? Sit around and wait for random villains to attack them? Aren't they supposed to be serving some purpose? This isn't even an Ultimate book anymore. Having lost all ties to the real world, it's just another superhero book.
I've been meaning to mention this. Serious, WTF?

Screw up Hulk?

The guy is going to completely rape the Ultimate Universe with Ultimatum. Hulk is the least of our worries.

"Rape" does not really describe what Loeb is doing to the UU. I think the Christmas Critters from South Park said it best, it is more like he is killing it and then raping its dead body, using its blood for lubricant. And then having someone with AIDS pee on it.

MERRY X-MAS!!!!!!
:dead:

But people buying it would allow more crap like this published

I know - but people like what people like. Better they spend their money and enjoy it than spend their money and hate it. Loads of people were going to buy this anyway - I'd hope they'd enjoy it.

Why didn't Loeb just launch a new Avengers book? It would be the same thing.

Aargh.

Indeed. I think it would've made a lot of sense if the Black Panther is on the Ultimates because the King of Wakanda, T'Chaka, is friends with Tony Stark and is a major financier of The Ultimates. Black Panther is essentially, "Captain Wakanda", hence his presence on the team.

OR:

The first arc involves Wakanda. Once a peaceful nation with access to incredible technologies, Ulysses Klaw leads a UN-backed expedition into Wakanda to discover their secrets, after whipping a media frenzy against the Wakandans ("They're building a super-nuke - we need to go and stop that! PLUS! We can make a vibranium pipe-line") - in other words, replace "Iraq" with "Wakanda" and it's done. It goes horribly wrong and The Ultimates, who've been watching the situation carefully, have to intervene (also - they've been having their sub-plots). The #5 fight against an Ultimate member? Ultimates versus Black Panther. It ends with Wakanda becoming a major financier of The Ultimates, sharing vibranium with Stark, and Black Panther becomes a full-fledged member of the Ultimates.

Off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back