Dr. Strange - MCU Film

Asian, I believe (real name is Yao):

Yao_%28Earth-616%29.jpg

Its an interesting choice, and one I'm fully ok with. I like when they switch things up a bit from the comics.

I'm fine with it too, I just think it's a shame when the few characters who aren't white are played by white actors. But I think she'll do a good job.

I'm fine with it too, I just think it's a shame when the few characters who aren't white are played by white actors. But I think she'll do a good job.

Normally I agree, but they do this, so:

I don't think Marvel are trying to white wash or pointlessly change the race/sex of characters from the comics. I really do think that sometimes one of the powers that be gets a strange idea (see what I did there?) like deciding to have a renowned actress read for the part of a wizened Asian mystic in the comics. I think ultimately it's just because Swinton gave the most impressive performance in her audition, just as Ejiofor likely did for his Mordo auditions.

Normally I agree, but they do this, so:

I don't think Marvel are trying to white wash or pointlessly change the race/sex of characters from the comics. I really do think that sometimes one of the powers that be gets a strange idea (see what I did there?) like deciding to have a renowned actress read for the part of a wizened Asian mystic in the comics. I think ultimately it's just because Swinton gave the most impressive performance in her audition, just as Ejiofor likely did for his Mordo auditions.

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe they were even trying to avoid racist archetypes. The concept of a wizened Asian mystic could be potentially problematic if it's not handled well.

If this is a origin movie, I am not going to watch it. Why should I pay for something that I already know?

But the chances are this will be a origin movie, as not so many people know about Dr. Strange.

At least make the different origin story...

If this is a origin movie, I am not going to watch it. Why should I pay for something that I already know?

By that logic you probably shouldn't have seen the first Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, or Avengers films (since all were origin stories, in the case of the Avengers film it was an origin story about the team coming together).

Anyway, I believe they've already said it won't be an origin story. That may have changed since the director was hired (the script may have gone through some changes and added in an origin).

If they do an origin, it'll be a quick flashback type thing, most likely, instead of focusing the whole movie or first half or whatever covering the origin.

Besides, you need to remember that the general audience probably has no clue about Dr. Strange, and thus an origin story in the film would make sense for the larger audience outside of the hardcore comic fans like us.

Thus, if they do an origin, there's a logical reason behind it. If not, they'll likely cover his origin in a quick flashback or some dialogue.

But the chances are this will be a origin movie, as not so many people know about Dr. Strange.

At least make the different origin story...

You said it. I do think his origin will be touched on, just unsure how they'll approach it.

As for different origin story, it sounds like that may be the case with the recent casting of Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, and Baron Mordo not being an outright villain but a sort of big brother/mentor role...?

As for different origin story, it sounds like that may be the case with the recent casting of Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, and Baron Mordo not being an outright villain but a sort of big brother/mentor role...?

Didn't Baron Mordo also train under the Ancient One, but then murder him? I think there will be an origin story, but they'll streamline the details so that Strange and Mordo train together and become friends.

"In a comic, you know how you can tell who the arch-villain's going to be? He's the exact opposite of the hero. And most times they're friends" - Mr Glass

This is something interesting to note, from CBR:

"As we were developing this film we looked at The Ancient One as a mantle more than a specific person," said Feige. "The sorcerers have been around for millennia, protecting us from things we didn't know about until this story. There have been multiple [Ancient Ones], even if this one has been around for five hundred years, there were others. This is a mantle, and therefore felt we had leeway to cast in interesting ways."

So if/when Tilda Swinton is officially announced as The Ancient One, it won't be Yao, the last/current one from the MU. So he won't be adapted and it won't be "whitewashing" nor gender bending.

This movie is about to be weird. Can't wait

Last edited:
Latino Review says they have the inside scoop on how the movie will open. Potential spoilers below.

The "Doctor Strange" movie actually starts much earlier than anyone expected, opening in 1968 Kathmandu where some Zealots of dark magic manage to open a portal to another dimension. Leading them is a character named Kaecilius, a name taken from a character associated with Baron Mordo in the Marvel Comics.

We leave the mystery of magic in the 1960s behind to catch up with brilliant Stephen Strange in modern day New York operating on a gunshot wound. He's a brilliant surgeon who is a bit arrogant until one night, while chatting on the phone, he clips his car, causing an accident that damages his hands.

After several surgeries from Dr. Nicodemus West, Strange's hands still aren't healed enough to return to being a doctor. An encounter with magic (and sub-atomic particles) leads him on a journey to find the Ancient One (Tilda Swinton), and when he finds her, she initially refuses to teach him.

That's what they're filming right now in Nepal, as there will be a scene in the movie where Cumberbatch's Strange gets his now-wild facial hair under control, and shaves it down to the classic Doctor Strange facial hair we're all expecting.

Latest posts

Back