Dragon Age - Origins

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
I can't believe there isn't a thread for this (and if there is and I couldn't find it).

This game is excellent! If you enjoyed Mass Effect (or the newly released Mass Effect 2), then you should definitely give this game a try. Its basically Mass Effect in a fantasy medieval setting, which might sound simplistic, but regardless, its a lot of fun.

I rented the game last week and have already put in over 60 hours and I'm only about 80% done, without including the downloadable content. In other words, this game is huge, easily over 150-200 missions spread across the different characters you can play, etc, so you definitely get your money's worth. The game features a pretty fair amount of customization, from character appearance (as in Mass Effect), character weapon/spells/attack etc.

The storyline is thoroughly engrossing, and did a great job of keeping me glued to my Xbox for 6-8 hours at a time (which led to me being completely exhausted at work all last week, but sacrifices must be made for awesome games).

I'm not big on RPG's, but I love this one, even more than the first ME. And the promise of new Downloadable Content every few months is a great hook. The game was released in November, and already features 2 new DC packs, with a third coming out very soon, and a fourth HUGE expansion entitled Dragon Age - Origins: Awakening (available for download or on disc, much like Halo 3 - ODST), so I'm looking forward to the continued support for DC Bioware is promising. Hopefully they'll support the DA DC moreso than they did for the first ME, but so far this does seem to be the case.

If you haven't played this game yet, do yourself a favor and at least check it out.

I love Dragon age. I have it on ps3 with The stone Prisoner and Blood dragon Armour DLC (the game came with codes to get them from psn for free) I've not completed it yet (I got Dragon age then Dragon ball raging blast then LOTR conquest then Modnation beta so I kinda played the other stuff as it was new) But I plan to get the other DLC and Awakening on disc.

What I love the most on this game is the character interactions. You'll just be walking down the street then they'll have a random convocation that's normally hilarious. Plus actions and missions get character responses. Adds a lot to making them feel like real people instead of just boring NPCs.

The game is to me KOTOR in a LOTR type world. Which is great as I loved KOTOR (my favourite game ever) and the fantasy world is one of if not the best one I've seen in a game as it feels lived in it feels like it's populated by real people which adds a lot.

I love Dragon age. I have it on ps3 with The stone Prisoner and Blood dragon Armour DLC (the game came with codes to get them from psn for free) I've not completed it yet (I got Dragon age then Dragon ball raging blast then LOTR conquest then Modnation beta so I kinda played the other stuff as it was new) But I plan to get the other DLC and Awakening on disc.

What I love the most on this game is the character interactions. You'll just be walking down the street then they'll have a random convocation that's normally hilarious. Plus actions and missions get character responses. Adds a lot to making them feel like real people instead of just boring NPCs.

The game is to me KOTOR in a LOTR type world. Which is great as I loved KOTOR (my favourite game ever) and the fantasy world is one of if not the best one I've seen in a game as it feels lived in it feels like it's populated by real people which adds a lot.

You make a lot of good points, especially in terms of the KOTOR/LOTR comparison (considering Bioware made KOTOR, and this game is obviously influenced by Tolkein's work, as is all modern fantasy).

One thing I liked about this game, which differentiates it from other fantasy setting stories, is that in Dragon Age, the elves are looked down upon and are pretty much the low men on the totem pole of the DA world. Its a simple thing, but something which really adds depth and a different take than standard fantasy fare.

And again, I really enjoyed the story, but you're right, the characters and their interactions are what make it interesting (and hilarious...I love having conversations with Oghren, he's awesome). I also like that there's motivation to actually converse with your party members by including missions influenced by those conversations.

And the armor...I love the different armors. I only rented it so I haven't been able to download the DLC (including the Blood Dragon Armor), but I plan to remedy that in the next couple weeks. I'm not usually so fanatical about games (with the exception of Halo series), but I could really see myself becoming engrossed in the world Bioware created here, and not only in the game(s). I recently ordered the two prequel novels for the game, The Stolen Throne and The Calling, which according to reviews I've read online are not only decent reads, but really flesh out the world. There's also a free Flash game called Dragon Age - Journeys, which is simplistic but very similar in tone to the console and PC games, and acts as a prequel of sorts. And again, with all the upcoming DC, I can't see my interest in this franchise waning anytime soon.

Once I finish playing through this game (I've already beat it, but want to play through as different characters with different origins), I'll check out Bioware's other new game Mass Effect 2. But this one will keep me busy for at least the next few weeks or months (depending on how long the DC is).

I've wanted to get this game. I wanted it because it would take up a lot of my time and hearing from you guys that it is a time-consuming game is pretty reassuring and cool.

I've wanted to get this game. I wanted it because it would take up a lot of my time and hearing from you guys that it is a time-consuming game is pretty reassuring and cool.

There's definitely hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay across all the different missions and all the different characters you can play as. Add in the downloadable content and thats easily another 30 hours of game time. So, yes, you'll be busy for awhile if you really delve into the game. And if you want just a quick play through the main missions, it'd probably take around 30-45 hours.

And its just great besides the game itself...I love how EA/Bioware are integrating all the downloadable content/exclusive items through players EA accounts. Not only can you get the Blood Dragon Armor and a host of other stuff through different retailers, but you can also upload items found in the 2D Flash game Dragon Age: Journeys (its free to play at DragonAgeJourneys.com) to your EA account, then download them for use in Origins on your Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. Very cool bonus in my opinion, and a simple but effective way to get customers interested in the franchise as a whole, beyond Origins itself. I know I'm interested.

You guys do know that the first expansion (Dragon Age: Awakening) comes out in March, right?

I love this game, I've completed both Elf Origins (Dalish Rogue and City Warrior), and the Dwarven Noble (Warrior... and Dwarf girls are adorable). Now I'm working through as a Human Mage (Circle obviously). Although, I'm on hold, since I'm playing Mass Effect 2 now. Then Bioshock 2 comes out in 2 weeks.

I'm in the same boat as you, DiB. I bought Mass Effect 2 yesterday and I ended up playing it for, like, six and a half hours straights. I felt like a zombie all day at work.

I figure I'll fool around with ME2 and then wait around until Dragon Age gets a greatest hits or game of the year edition and I can buy either the core game for thirty bucks or the core game plus DLC for fifty.

You guys do know that the first expansion (Dragon Age: Awakening) comes out in March, right?

Yep, I mentioned it:

DIrishB said:
The game was released in November, and already features 2 new DC packs, with a third coming out very soon, and a fourth HUGE expansion entitled Dragon Age - Origins: Awakening (available for download or on disc, much like Halo 3 - ODST), so I'm looking forward to the continued support for DC Bioware is promising.

I love this game, I've completed both Elf Origins (Dalish Rogue and City Warrior), and the Dwarven Noble (Warrior... and Dwarf girls are adorable). Now I'm working through as a Human Mage (Circle obviously). Although, I'm on hold, since I'm playing Mass Effect 2 now. Then Bioshock 2 comes out in 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

ME2 and Bioshock 1 & 2 are at the top of my "Must Rent" list of games. I never got around to playing the first Bioshock, but now that the sequel's coming out I'll make sure I check it out. ME2 comes first, though, after I finish playing through DAO a few more times as different characters.

I'm in the same boat as you, DiB.

Yes, like Pete & Repeat.

I bought Mass Effect 2 yesterday and I ended up playing it for, like, six and a half hours straights. I felt like a zombie all day at work.

Wait, you got a job? Heh.

Personally, I can't wait for some ME2 goodness. After I've gotten sick of DAO, thats next up on my list.

I figure I'll fool around with ME2 and then wait around until Dragon Age gets a greatest hits or game of the year edition and I can buy either the core game for thirty bucks or the core game plus DLC for fifty.

Thats usually the approach I take, but I can't wait to own DAO. And the incentive of free codes for some of the downloadable content is spurring me on to go out and pick it up. Its so good. And it has the one thing ME will never have: Huge ****ing dragons to kill. Sah-weet!

Wait, you got a job? Heh.

Delivering pizzas. Again.

Man, when was the last time we talked?

DiB said:
Personally, I can't wait for some ME2 goodness. After I've gotten sick of DAO, thats next up on my list.

It's definitely worth it. I've heard a lot of people complaining that it's "not enough of an RPG" and while it has its problems, it's still ****ing brilliant. Most everything that needed a polish has been polished and it fuses RPG and shooter elements pretty well. Plus, practically every little thing you did in the first game has some sort of impact in the sequel. It's way more extensive than I figured it would be.

DiB said:
Thats usually the approach I take, but I can't wait to own DAO. And the incentive of free codes for some of the downloadable content is spurring me on to go out and pick it up. Its so good. And it has the one thing ME will never have: Huge ****ing dragons to kill. Sah-weet!

Heh. They accidentally leaked the preorder bonuses online, so I got all the special armor and weapons for free.

Delivering pizzas. Again.

Man, when was the last time we talked?

Awhile...I'm only able to get online at work now, so I'm hardly ever on the internet.

It's definitely worth it. I've heard a lot of people complaining that it's "not enough of an RPG" and while it has its problems, it's still ****ing brilliant. Most everything that needed a polish has been polished and it fuses RPG and shooter elements pretty well. Plus, practically every little thing you did in the first game has some sort of impact in the sequel. It's way more extensive than I figured it would be.

I so can't wait to play it. I might end up forcing myself to rent it this weekend instead of being patient.

Heh. They accidentally leaked the preorder bonuses online, so I got all the special armor and weapons for free.

Um...if you could point me in that direction I'd be very appreciative.

Um...if you could point me in that direction I'd be very appreciative.

It's too late now. They took it back down.

You're not missing out on too much. The extra armor isn't all that worthwhile and the good stuff (extra character, extra mission) can be downloaded for free if you buy the game new.

It's too late now. They took it back down.

You're not missing out on too much. The extra armor isn't all that worthwhile and the good stuff (extra character, extra mission) can be downloaded for free if you buy the game new.

Which I will be. I rented ME 2 on Friday and I'm loving it, even more than Dragon Age. I'm officially a huge fan of Bioware.

I feel the need to post videos.

[video=youtube;fv81oPzccW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv81oPzccW0[/video]

Looks like they're using the old idea of all your party members becoming Grey Wardens.

[video=youtube;5vjwDu3nc54]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjwDu3nc54[/video]

These little kiddies are apparently the creature on the box art.

[video=youtube;GVA-4GgfxMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVA-4GgfxMM[/video]

Is that Grey Delisle? Oh ****, Azula's figured out the power of trees! Run!

[video=youtube;sWQGeejEC9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQGeejEC9U&feature=related[/video]

Look's like Morrigan's swamp will be involved, and Oghren will be that one returning party member.

[video=youtube;e96ZkoljWkw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e96ZkoljWkw[/video]

Sigrun's my favorite of the new characters.

[video=youtube;5lKF0DtchwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lKF0DtchwY[/video]

I have this weird mental image of her collecting action figures and plushies of the main cast.

[video=youtube;5gMCddGBY2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMCddGBY2M[/video]

And here's what looks to be the main villain. I think he was part of the tie-in novels. And Ogrhen is definately in this now.

the Return to Ostagar DLC is scheduled for a March 11th release now.

I got this game... So far it is alright, I thought the combat would be different but I can tolerate it seeing as how I played WoW for a couple years. The game is just beginning to pick up and, so far, it has gotten my attention. I do keep dying...

DA - Awakenings is out today. For those who don't know its an expansion to DA - Origins which offers an extra 20-40 hours of gameplay, new specializations, new skills, new armor and weapons, etc.

I'll be picking it up on my lunch break and playing the **** out of it from 5pm this evening into the wee hours of the morning.

I wanted to pick up DA:A last night when I got God of War, but nooooOOooooo, the manager are GS said he wasn't allowed.

Latest posts

Back