Dream Editor Round Two: The Avengers

I read all of Avengers: The Initiative to prep for this. It was fun. I like some of the characters and I will be using them.

I did too, actually!

I thought it kind of fell off when Christos Gage took over solo, though I'm not sure if that's because of a flaw in Christos' writing or if it had more to do with Dark Reign.

Avengers: Initative was ok.

I read the first arc and blew it off because it just wasn't interesting enough to hold my interest. But then I went back (at DJF's request) and continued reading the rest of the stories. There's some interesting ideas introduced, but they never really get a chance to flesh out....and the ones that are fleshed out are just meh.

If I was editor, the idea of the Initative would stay around...but the series itself would cease.

THE AVENGERS ALLIANCE

Drawing inspiration from MUA, and Avengers: The Initiative, and HitLar's Ultimates

Pending much elaboration

Overall idea: After Seige, Steve Rogers is placed at the head of H.A.M.M.E.R, and proceeds to make a number of deals bringing S.H.I.E.L.D., S.W.O.R.D., A.R.M.O.R, Project Pegasus, and so on all under one roof, with this massive consolidated power base, they annex State 51 as the new base of operations (Nextwave's crew hangs around). Following this a number of official teams are formed, these teams form the following books.

The Avengers: The High-Flying Super-Heroic Blockbuster book (Writer: Mark Millar, Art: Olivier Coipel) (Captain America (Steve), Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Wasp (Hank), Hawkeye, Noh-Varr)

The Champions: The West Coast Team, sortof an off beat A-Team (Writer: Greg Pak, Art: Rafa Sandoval) (Bruce Banner, Skaar, Amadeus Cho, Hercules, Namora, Snowbird, USAgent, Vision, Stature Quicksilver)

The Defenders: The Mystic threats team, along the vein of CB&MI13 (Writer: Paul Cornell, Art: Leonird Kirk) (Dr. Strange, Dr. Voodoo, Ian McNee, Captain Britain, Black Knight, Excalibur, Clea, Jiane Cutter, Daimon Hellstrom)

The Invaders: The Covert Ops team, think Brubaker's Cap book (Writer: Ed Brubaker, Art: Butch Guice) (Captain America (Bucky), Black Widow, Nick Fury, Falcon, Sharon Carter, Maria Hill, Nomad, Scorpion, Quake, Ant-Man (Eric))

The Guardians: The Cosmic team, think S.W.O.R.D. and GotG melded together (Writers: Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, Art: Wellinton Alves) (Abigail Brand, Beast, Nova, Star-Lord, Drax, Rocket Raccoon, Moondragon, Quasar, Darkhawk, Jack Flag)

The Legion: The Monster Hunters, Monsters Hunting Monsters (Writer: Rick Remender, Art: Jefte Palo) (Morbius, Werewolf by Night, The Living Mummy, Man-Thing, Jennifer Kale, Blade, Ghost Rider (Johnny), Ghost Rider (Danny), Elsa Bloodstone, Machine Man)

The Knights: The Sanctioned Street-Level team, the Heroes for Hire get overhauled (Writer: Matt Fraction, Art: Jerome Opena) (Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Daredevil, White Tiger, Black Tarantula)

The Warriors: The public face of the Alliance, the young guns, featuring teenish characters much angst enue's (Writer: Dan Slott, Art: Stefano Caselli) (Hardball, Cloud 9, Komodo, Trauma, Gravity, Prodigy, Ricochet, Spider-Girl (Mattie), Lightspeed, Turbo)

The Thunderbolts: Melissa Gold has been placed in charge of Villain Rehabilitation, filled with a good sized dose of psychotic characters (Writer: Jason Aaron, Art: Mike Deodato) (Songbird, Doc Samson, Absorbing Man, Molten Man, Sentry, Scourge, Mr. X, Baron Zemo, Mach V, Fixer)

The Exiles: A bit of a Subversion for this book, will be defending earth from outside invaders instead of visiting new realms every arc (Writer: Jonathan Hickman, Art: Paul Pelletier) (Blink, Nocturne, Morph, Spider-Man 2099, Dark Beast, Weapon Omega, Mimic, X-Man, Longshot)

The Alliance: Concerns itself with the inner workings of the alliance,medical stuff, tech research, exploration villain imprisonment/neutralization, and so on (Writer: Keiron Gillen, Art: Andrea DiVito) (Night Nurse, and a number of new characters)

The Academy: Replaces Avengers: The Initiative, the training of new recruits aboard The Alliance's headquarters State 51 (Writer: Christos Gage, Art: Takeshi Miyazawa) (new and obscure characters, pretty much continuing what A:TI did all along, Monica Rambeau is the head instructor, The Captain will hang around for laughs)

Last edited:
The Avengers are back! BMB's reign of jabbering madness is over! The Earth's Mightiest Heroes are going to start acting like they're just that. There's only going to be three titles under my editorial powers and the unifying theme here is Steve Rogers. He's back and he's got a vision for the future. The President has him installed as the Director of the new SHIELD and Steve's going to make some changes to the way things operate.

The Avengers
Rogers' first act is to set up an official SHIELD sanctioned Avengers team. This group exists solely for the task of protecting the world, no more street level Avenging. Each member of the team operates as a solo agent most of the time and the group only convenes when world shaking events are in the works. Because they no longer combat street level violence the roster sheds its street level members for a big time lineup. What I want to see out of the Avengers are the really strong, epic stories that one expects to come from a team labeled Earth's Mightiest Heroes. When Kang comes conquering, they're there. When Doom gets uppity with his Eastern European Neighbors, they're there. When the Mandarin does whatever it is that the Mandarin does, they're there. Just big time superheroics, like it's supposed to be.
Writer: Mark Millar
Artist: Jim Cheung
After a little hesitation I had to give the writing assignment to Millar. Say what you will about the man, he thinks big. He writes exactly the type of stories I outlined above and hopefully he can bring the same feeling of weight and importance to this team that he brought to the Ultimates. Cheung brings nice clean lines and great figures. He's perfect for this title.

Lineup:
Captain America (Steve Rogers)
Thor
Iron Man
Wasp (Hank Pym, not his dead wife)
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Quicksilver

SHIELD: Alpha
Rogers' second act is to recruit some heavy hitters into this new SHIELD. He takes some of the greatest superheroes on Earth and takes away the costumes and codenames. Because the Avengers only gather for special threats this is the team that is constantly working behind the scenes to maintain order. Steve puts Natasha Romanov in control of Alpha Squad. For some reason Nick Fury and his Secret Warriors refused to come in under the SHIELD umbrella. Natasha's first job is to find out why.
Writer: Christos Gage
Artist: Barry Kitson
I like what Christos did with the Initiative and I'd like to keep him working within the Avengers sphere of influence. Kitson is a very good, consistent artist.

Lineup:
Steve Rogers – Director
Natasha Romanov – Squad Leader
Bucky Barnes – Second-In-Command
Clint Barton
Barbara Morse
Maya Lopez
Jessica Drew

Young Avengers
Rogers approaches the Young Avengers and offers to continue their training and officially sanction their actions. The team begins operating as a whole unit for the first time in a while, but this isn't the final lineup. Steve extends an offer to join the Avengers Youth Training Program to several other young supers. He might even lure in some LA runaways.
Writer: Allan Heinberg
Artist: Adrian Alphona
I'm going to drag Heinberg's lazy ass kicking and screaming back to comics to continue working on YA. As long as I'm using my massive fake editor powers to drag people against their will back to comics I may as well grab Adrian Alphona since no one draws teens as well as he does.

Lineup:
Patriot
Hawkeye
Wiccan
Hulkling
Speed
Stature
Vision

Last edited:
THE AVENGERS ALLIANCE

Drawing inspiration from MUA, and Avengers: The Initiative, and HitLar's Ultimates

Pending much elaboration

Overall idea: After Seige, Steve Rogers is placed at the head of H.A.M.M.E.R, and proceeds to make a number of deals bringing S.H.I.E.L.D., S.W.O.R.D., A.R.M.O.R, Project Pegasus, and so on all under one roof, with this massive consolidated power base, they annex State 51 as the new base of operations (Nextwave's crew hangs around). Following this a number of official teams are formed, these teams form the following books.

The Avengers: The High-Flying Super-Heroic Blockbuster book (Writer: Mark Millar, Art: Olivier Coipel) (Captain America (Steve), Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Wasp (Hank), Hawkeye, Noh-Varr)

The Champions: The West Coast Team, sortof an off beat A-Team (Writer: Greg Pak, Art: Rafa Sandoval) (Bruce Banner, Skaar, Amadeus Cho, Hercules, Namora, Snowbird, USAgent, Vision, Stature Quicksilver)

The Defenders: The Mystic threats team, along the vein of CB&MI13 (Writer: Paul Cornell, Art: Leonird Kirk) (Dr. Strange, Dr. Voodoo, Ian McNee, Captain Britain, Black Knight, Excalibur, Clea, Jiane Cutter, Daimon Hellstrom)

The Invaders: The Covert Ops team, think Brubaker's Cap book (Writer: Ed Brubaker, Art: Butch Guice) (Captain America (Bucky), Black Widow, Nick Fury, Falcon, Sharon Carter, Maria Hill, Nomad, Scorpion, Quake, Ant-Man (Eric))

The Guardians: The Cosmic team, think S.W.O.R.D. and GotG melded together (Writers: Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, Art: Wellinton Alves) (Abigail Brand, Beast, Nova, Star-Lord, Drax, Rocket Raccoon, Moondragon, Quasar, Darkhawk, Jack Flag)

The Legion: The Monster Hunters, Monsters Hunting Monsters (Writer: Rick Remender, Art: Jefte Palo) (Morbius, Werewolf by Night, The Living Mummy, Man-Thing, Jennifer Kale, Blade, Ghost Rider (Johnny), Ghost Rider (Danny), Elsa Bloodstone, Machine Man)

The Knights: The Sanctioned Street-Level team, the Heroes for Hire get overhauled (Writer: Matt Fraction, Art: Jerome Opena) (Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Daredevil, White Tiger, Black Tarantula)

The Warriors: The public face of the Alliance, the young guns, featuring teenish characters much angst enue's (Writer: Dan Slott, Art: Stefano Caselli) (Hardball, Cloud 9, Komodo, Trauma, Gravity, Prodigy, Ricochet, Spider-Girl (Mattie), Lightspeed, Turbo)

The Thunderbolts: Melissa Gold has been placed in charge of Villain Rehabilitation, filled with a good sized dose of psychotic characters (Writer: Jason Aaron, Art: Mike Deodato) (Songbird, Doc Samson, Absorbing Man, Molten Man, Sentry, Scourge, Mr. X, Baron Zemo, Mach V, Fixer)

The Exiles: A bit of a Subversion for this book, will be defending earth from outside invaders instead of visiting new realms every arc (Writer: Jonathan Hickman, Art: Paul Pelletier) (Blink, Nocturne, Morph, Spider-Man 2099, Dark Beast, Weapon Omega, Mimic, X-Man, Longshot)

The Alliance: Concerns itself with the inner workings of the alliance,medical stuff, tech research, exploration villain imprisonment/neutralization, and so on (Writer: Keiron Gillen, Art: Andrea DiVito) (Night Nurse, and a number of new characters)

The Academy: Replaces Avengers: The Initiative, the training of new recruits aboard The Alliance's headquarters State 51 (Writer: Christos Gage, Art: Takeshi Miyazawa) (new and obscure characters, pretty much continuing what A:TI did all along, Monica Rambeau is the head instructor, The Captain will hang around for laughs)

Twelve new books?

Twelve new books?

They'd be replacing a number of books NA, DA, MA, ATI, Incredible Herc/Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thunderbolts, and so on. A couple of them are other books being resurected/reconfigured like Captain Britain & MI13, Doctor Voodoo, S.W.O.R.D., IIF, etc.

In the end it's pretty much a wash

Hm... Since no one else seems to be doing it, I think I may focus my pitch a little more on the fallout of Dark Reign.

I have plenty of things to say about the other pitches soon, particularly Gemini's.

The Avengers

The Siege is over. Norman Osborn is done for. The Avengers are back. The real Avengers are back. Steve Rogers, Tony Stark and Thor have put aside their respective differences and are bringing back the world's mightiest heroes. They're bringing back the Avengers. Keeping the Initiative intact, Stark and Rogers work with Nick Fury to ensure that heroes go through an intensive regimen to determine their place in the superhero community and then are allowed to operate as a member of one of the fifty teams, a free agent or an international agent in the system. Setting up branches across the United States in major cities such as New York, Los Angelis, Asgard, Washington D.C. and Seattle the Avengers would consist of the best of the best protecting the United States. In order to keep their egos in check Captain America, Thor and Iron Man move to three separate cities in order to run teams their own way.

The Avengers (New York)

This is the ultimate A-Squad. Led by Rogers personally the New York Avengers handle the situations on the East Coast that the teams such as the Fantastic Four can't. Putting Captain America in the head position ensures that the public will be inclined to trust the new direction the super humans are taking. He takes in heroes he not only personally trusts but also ones diverse enough to handle any situation they may face. Cap keeps several of the New Avengers who served after the Civil War and through Osborn's reign including Spider-Man, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. He also brings along Avengers mainstays Hank Pym, Carol Danvers and Hawkeye for their experience and public image. Namor is added to mix because he'll follow Cap anywhere, he wants a mutant on the team and Namor wants to finally expand relations with Atlantis and the rest of the world.

Steve Rogers, Captain America: Field leader
Hank Pym, Giant Man
Peter Parker, Spider-Man
Clinton Barton, Hawkeye
Carol Danvers, Ms. Marvel
Luke Cage
Danny Rand, Iron Fist
Namor the Submariner

Avengers: Mighty Heroes (Los Angelis)

Moving his group out west to start new, Tony Stark uses the West Coasters as a fast response superstar team to match the Hollywood mentality they live in. Tony's group handles the big ridiculous threats that only their unique members are acquainted to. Tony selects some of the most famous heroes on Earth as a media wet dream so he can save thousands of lives and make gobs of money at the same time. Avengers veterans She-Hulk and Hercules are a tag team bruiser combo and media 'it' couple. Doctor Strange is no longer the Sorcerer Supreme but acts as a talk-show host giving 'mystical' advice to wealthy socialites. The Human Torch has moved west in order to become a star and has his own television show with higher ratings than anyone else. Scarlet Spider is now a top stunt man showing off moves for crowds of thousands at a time. Machine Man recently wrote a tell-all about his time as a superhero and a robot becoming extremely famous entitled "**** Pinocchio". Aside from these heroes' fame and fortune they sometimes find time to be superheroes.

Tony Stark, Iron Man: Field Leader
Jennifer Walters, She-Hulk
Doctor Stephen Strange
Hercules
Johnny Storm, Human Torch
Patrick van Patrick, Scarlet Spider
Aaron Stack, Machine Man

The Defenders (Asgard)

In order to protect the Earth-realm from any dangers from without, SHIELD has taken several agencies including SWORD, ARMOR, and MI13 and given their agents the means to protect the Earth. Located in the floating city of Asgard, the Defenders protect from any harms of alien, multi-dimensional and magical in origin. Led by the God of Thunder Thor, the Defenders are there to ensure that nothing enters the territory of Earth. Packing more power than most of the other organizations, Thor's group consists of extremely powerful beings. Doctor Voodoo acts as the team's mystical expert bolstering Asgard's potent mystical forces. Man-Thing is a celestial gatekeeper in the center of the city, warning of danger from other universes. The Young Avengers Hulkling and Wiccan are moved up to the group in order to fulfill their respective roles; Hulkling as the ambassador to the Kree and Skrull and Wiccan as the future Sorcerer Supreme. Amadeus Cho gives the team a super-genius able to spot any anomalies in the Earth-realm with his uncanny scientific vision. If their heavy hitters weren't enough Thor has Sif and Abigail Brand along to lead an army of Asgardians and a battalion of SWORD agents at his disposal.

Thor: Field Leader
Jericho Drumm, Doctor Voodoo
Man-Thing
Teddy Altman, Hulkling
Billy Kaplan, Wiccan
Amadeus Cho
Sif
Abigail Brand

The Thunderbolts

Selecting a black ops group in order to do the dirty business that the Avengers can't, Tony, Steve and Thor select the world's most dangerous woman to handpick a group of heroes willing to take the shot no one else will and make the tough decisions. Operating out of nowhere but given their information over telepathy by Nick Fury and Black Widow the Thunderbolts move in and strike quickly, operating as a team based on professionalism alone. For the core group Natasha selects people dutifully suited to espionage. Songbird keeps the team silent, and acts as a worthy second position to Natasha. Ant-Man, for all of his faults is able to get in anywhere and if the situation calls for it, can go Slaying Mantis on their asses. Cloak and Dagger are the transport, silently teleporting them anywhere they need to go and assassinating anyone who needs it. When it comes to less subtlety and more action War Machine, and the team's resident mystical expert Johnny Blaze come in to kick ass. The benefit of this team is that anyone can be conscripted at any time; however the situation calls for it.

Natasha Romanoff, the Black Widow: Field Leader
Melissa Gold, Songbird
Eric O'Grady, Ant-Man
Ty Johnson and Tandy Bowen, Cloak and Dagger
James Rhodes, War Machine
Johnny Blaze, Ghost Rider
Various others

Backup Feature- Helmut Zemo

The Next Avengers
Moving their training facilities up into the Northwest the Hammond Institute is for any and all heroes wanting to become card carrying Avengers. This training facility would house the dozens of potential heroes eager to earn their stripes. Several A-List superheroes would act as instructors to the new recruits including Headmaster Leo Samson. Story arcs would detail several young students trying to make it to the Big Leagues similar to Avengers: the Initiative.

Doc Samson: Headmaster
Jessica Drew, Spider-Woman: SHIELD Liaison
Simon Williams, Wonder Man
Tigra
Constrictor
3-D Man
Jessica Jones, Firestar
Stingray
Various other teachers
The Recruits

Young Avengers (Seattle)

In Seattle, atop the Space Needle, the Young Avengers would make their quarters. With the Institute so close the Young Avengers it makes the heroes at the Institute even more eager to join the ranks of heroes their own age. Deciding to get back into the fray after he grows tired of merely teaching; Gauntlet leads the Young Avengers as they in their own way try to make it to the big East and West Coast Avengers. The mainstays of the Young Avengers Hawkeye, Stature, Vision and Speed all move along to Seattle to continue the legacy they themselves started. Other Initiative graduates such as Cloud 9 and Trauma continue under Gauntlet as full-fledged superheroes this time. The remaining two members, Penance and Justice join to guide the younger heroes into not making the same mistakes that they did. Young Avengers will have several crossovers with the Institute to highlight the importance of youth that the new Avenger line has.

Joseph Green, Gauntlet: Field Leader
Kate Bishop, Hawkeye
Cassie Lang, Stature
Vision
Tommy Shepard, Speed
Abigail Boylen, Cloud 9
Terrence Ward, Trauma
Vance Astrovik, Justice
Robby Baldwin, Penance

Agents of SHIELD (Washington DC)

Now that SHIELD is on top Nick Fury has a team of international agents ready and willing to go overseas and deal with any problems that the country may face. Met with controversy over being undercover during all the chaos on Earth, Fury comes out with his own team of super badasses who'll kick the crap out of anyone who would try and tamper with Fury's plans. Operating out of the Helicarrier above Washington the Agents, or Howlers as Fury calls them, take out terrorist threats such as the Hand, Hydra and any others that may threaten the new order he's worked these years to establish. Quake and Mockingbird act as senior SHIELD operatives in the field following Fury's direct orders. Using propaganda to strike fear into their enemies Fury buts James Barnes, in his Captain America uniform, at the front of the team alongside Patriot who now acts as his own Bucky. The heavy hitter of the team is Captain Marvel. The alien acts to regain his honor and to follow his namesake's footsteps.

Nick Fury: Director
Barbara Barton, Mockingbird
Daisy Johnson, Quake
James Buchanan Barnes, Captain America
Eli Bradley, Patriot
Noh-Varr, Captain Marvel

I'll post more on creative teams and backups later.

The Siege is over, Norman is out. With the return of Captain America Earth is about to enter into a new Heroic age. With all that has happened from Civil War to his death Cap has realized it's time to stop playing the soldier and step up to the responsibilities to effect real change. He doesn't want it, but sees that the world needs him at the top to set the standard and precedents. With Presidential and UN backing his is made Director of SHIELD. And as the failure of the Articles of Confederation gave way to the US Constitution, The Initiative will be restructured to end the civil rights violation it cause. And so Captain America makes his plans for the Avengers...

The Avengers

Roster
General America
Iron Man
Thor
Hank Pym
Wasp
Vision
Black Panther (Shuri)

Pitch
I want this book to bring back the classic Avengers. It will start the numbering where Disassembled left off. The title will be more separated from the rest of the universe. Each story arc focusing on one big movie-llike event that needs these top players together, much like The Ultimates or Astonishing X-men. These stories will be more fun classic superhero than status quo changing driven titles. If someone wants to try out Avengers (specially with the movie not far off) this is the title to recommend.

The New Avengers

Roster
Captain America (Bucky)
Falcon
Spider-man
Luke Cage
Iron Fists
Spider-woman
Hawkeye

Pitch
Also known as The New York Avengers. After being named director, the Presidents offers Rodger the rank of General, Cap accepts in order to give Bucky the official title of Captain America. He still is called Cap by most times though and will have a new costume. Cap decided to bring this team into the initiative, seeing as he trusts just about all the members. This will be Rodger's go to group when something needs investigating. This team is made up of New York's local heroes. They deal with smaller events, not earth shattering, but city wide threats. I like what bendis did early with the title and would want to keep that going. Keeping it from becoming major events and with a little over sight Bendis can do great things with the title.

The Mighty Avengers

Roster
Iron Man
Black Widow
Ms Marvel
Ares
Wonder Man
Wasp
Dr Strange

Pitch
This team is formed to deal with bigger threats. As the new avengers deal with things more behind the shadows the mighty avengers deal with things out in the open. Like monsters, alien, and any number of major threats. So the roster are made of heavy hitters and long time vets. Widow's position is more liason and to keep a check on Stark. Since these events are ones the public can't miss they have to deal more with the publicity fall out.

The Avenger Initiative.

Roster
Hank Pym
War Machine
Beast
Kitty Pride
The Thing
Human Torch

Pitch
I love the idea of the Initiative, it's a perfect means to try out new characters. It's basically a chance to introduce a new hero or villain in a team setting or in a single issue. Just as X-men was able to set up an easy way to create and introduce new characters. There's a lot of flexibility for creators. The roster above is just an example of the revolving instructors.

Captain America

Roster
General America
Captain America
Maria Hill
Dum Dum Dungan
Black Widow
Nick Fury

Pitch
This is title will continue with Brubaker and focuses on behind the scenes at SHIELD, Rodger's role as director, as well as the spy games going on. Just leave the rest to Brubaker, the man made great captain america stories and he should continue. Bucky has the real shield and he's Cap's number one soldier leading missions. Since Rodgers is not retiring from hero work and does go out and fight the good fight, Maria Hill handles the day-to-day operations. Their first task is to track down Nick Fury and his Secret Warriors, the president feels he's too much of a wild card to be running around on his own.

You may notice most of these titles are relatively the same, I don't want to shake up everything, I think they already have a solid foundations, it's just a matter of making them solid and avoiding the endless status quo changing. I want a clean transition free of constant number and title changing. The titles are great and give you a sense of what the books are about and each has a very distinct direction.

Last edited:
I am excited to read and comment on all of these... I need to finish mine before I read the others just so i am not stealing.

Yep, moderaters entry.

the Dark Reign is over. The Siege has ended. Norman osborn has been removed from command of HAMMER and locked away. For the moment. But his effects are still felt. Leaving a madman in power for so long has ingrained his supporters into positions of power. The World loves The Avengers for defending the gods against attack. America hates them for dethroning their hero. The Avengers franchise is going to be taken over by one of my favorite writing teams working for Marvel, and while I know it'll up their workload quite a bit I think it'd be worth it. Plus with them running most of the solo series tied in it'll make for smoother transitions for characters.

The Avengers - Earths Mightiest Heroes by Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction with a rotating art crew depending on the stories.

The prestige book of the line, this would ship twice monthly on the first and third Wednesday of each month. most of what would be considered a Minor Event would instead be folded into the pages of TA:EMH. Doomwar for example would have made a perfect arc for the book as it would focus on major superheroics on a worldwide scale, not just what going on in New York. It would feature the following team.

Captain America - Steve Rogers is back and leading The Avengers once again. He puts a good face on the team for America and keeps everyone in line. Even the ore opinionated members featured below.
Thor - He's the god of Thunder. The son of Odin. And someone you do not want swinging his Uru hammer at you.
Iron Man - Tony Stark is sober, in control, and ready to prove that he's not a total asshat, even if he was right about the whole registration thing. he's not bitter. No.
The Black Panther - T'Challa (I have no idea whats happened to The Black Panther since Hudlin took over but to me theres only one. T'Challa.)
Namor The Sub-Mariner - The rest of the team might no like him but damn if he isn't effective. Namor joins the Avengers primarily to keep an eye on them, not trusting such a large collection of powerful individuals. Plus Brubakers Namor is fantastic.
She Hulk - Who do you call when The Hulk is a little more rampaging monster than you want? His cousin of course! The fact that she can get you out of a Latverian Prison isn't anything to scoff at either.
Magneto - With the creation of Nation X (Or Asteroid M. Or Genosha) The mutants have come into their own as a political power. Magneto, mellowing a bit on his old age has joined the Avengers to keep the planet safe for Mutant kind, as long as Mankind keeps off his doorstep
Ms. Marvel - Carol Danvers stays on after Dark Reign wanting to really do some good in the world, and when her White hole power source suddenly comes back online she's got the strength to do it. But where did it come from?

The Invaders by Ed Brubaker and David Aja

The Invaders have one purpose: ferret out and expose the plants of Osborns to prevent anything he had set up from coming to fruition. The series will ship on the second Wednesday of each month. Its a much more Street Level team, and would actually run point for The Avengers on some arcs, being used for lintel and to infiltrate organizations that threaten the world. The first arc would deal with an attempt to break Osborn out, with the second arc being The Invaders Vrs Daredevil and The Hand. This arc would ship simultaneously with Daredevil for its run and instead of showing part of the story in one issue and then continuing it in the next would have both sides moving at the same time frame. some issues would show the same sets of events in different lights while others would have the repercussions of each on its respective sides. The team would be made up of

Iron Fist - returning from his travels to find both whats happened while he was gone and the Rand Industries has been compliant, going as far as to supply HAMMER with a good deal of its equipment (Helicarriers aren't cheap) Danny Rand decides to both take the reigns back over his company and undo the damage he allowed it to assist with while he was away. if New Avengers was a Luke Cage book with other heroes than this is a Iron fist book with teammates.
The Winter Soldier - Bucky Barnes - Yes, bucky is going back to his Winter Soldier ID. After the reformation of The Avengers as a single team Iron Fist asks Steve Rodgers for help in gathering his operatives. Steve asks Bucky to help him as he's more familiar with who's active now. Its Bucky who suggests The Invaders for a team name.
The Vision - freed from The Young Avengers limbo (I think. Like I said, not too up on non-Daredevil marvel anymore) The Vision is looking for his missing wife. He is hoping that in the mass of data they will be combing through in hunting Obsorns corruption out they'll find clues to her whereabouts. Its a shame hawkeye isn't talking...
Black Widow - Natasha Romanov can get you where you need to go. After going underground during Dark Reign she wants to stretch her legs a bit before going back to work for Fury, and putting the squeeze on the people that drove her underground sounds like fun too.
Elektra - joins in the second arc, hoping to save Matt Murdock from The Hand. With less than stellar results.

The Thunderbolts - by Matt Fraction and Doug Manke

One word will describe this Book. Kicksplode. It'll be like The Suicide Squad on Crystal Meth. Nick Fury has rounded up most of The Dark Avengers and is going to put them to good use. Cooperate on missions that are too dirty for The Avengers to find out about and they'll let you live. They might even let you out with neutralized powers. Someday. Baron Zemo is back in charge of the field team and he's looking for some new recruits. Thunderbolts would ship on the 4th Wednesday of each month.

Venom - fresh out of Dark Avengers, its Dark Spiderman! Now with 100% more chance of getting his head exploded in the field!
Bullseye - One Shot. One Kill. One Sociopath. Everyone loves Bullseye. Especially when he disable his explosive. But hey, maybe he'll stick around for a while. After all, he hasn't gotten to try and kill Zemo before. And they're sending him to all sorts of interesting places to kill hard to drop targets. Just don't let him get bored.
The Beetle - Abner Jenkins - Every team neets a tech head and Abner is our man! Gotta disable security, gotta disarm the bomb, gotta fix bullseyes gun. What Abner wouldn't give for a Clock radio, three paper clips and a watch crystal. What? He's smuggled all that into his cell. Sounds like trouble...
Daken - Brighter than his father, Daken is content to let them send him to no win situations confidant they they'll fail at killing him. And its only a matter of time before he finds a way out...

That would make us the main team, with characters rotating in and out depending on whats happened in TA:EMH and The Invaders.

The books would come out VERY tightly scheduled as characters would shift from one to the other and plotlines would be set in one, resolved in another and the aftereffects felt in the third, much like the Marvel universe of old where one plot thread would run through 4 or 5 books, but if you weren't reading this books it wasn't the end of the world for you. i feel the two writers above have the best odds of pulling this off.

And remember, this is a non-voteable entry.

Last edited:
So I just read all the pitches and I have this to say.

God damn it Zombipanda either get out of my brain or lay the eggs so they'll hatch and kill me.

A little over 24 hours to go! if anyone has any entries they still want to get in they had better get crackin.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
This is mainline Avengers action. On a day like no other, when the threats no one hero could handle appear, that is where the Avengers show up to stop evil. This is the book for the big baddies to make their move. Kang, Ultron, Doom, Loki + whoever he tricked. This is the Avengers against the big guns. It is also the flagship title in that it creates the backbone for the characters who show up in many of the other titles. This is big heroes and bigger action. No one can stop the Earth's Mightiest Heroes!
Written by: Ed Brubaker – Art by: Stefano Caselli
(Judging by the few entries I have seen it would seem we ALL want to see Brubaker take on the Avengers. Somehow I think there is some sort of ridiculous potential in this seemingly unlikely paring. Cap Reborn has at least taught me that I want to see him do a hell of a lot more than just the street level stuff. Caselli has been working on Secret Warriors since it started so we know he can handle a team book. He does a really nice job and I think it's time he stepped up to the big league and shows his hand at high octane, big smashy battles.)

The Team:
Captain America – Steve Rogers
Leading the avengers is second nature to Steve. After Siege he was handed the keys to the kingdom by S.H.E.I.L.D. Director Carol Danvers and when the big things happen Steve is on the front lines of it. He is given unlimited resources and anyone he wants to make sure his team of Avengers is there to protect the entire Earth.

Ironman – Tony Stark
Tony Stark has a lot of face saving to do. His reputation has been dragged through the mud since he was the director of S.H.E.I.L.D. and he has turned over a bit of a new leaf in his life. The best way for him to fix his image is to help Steve with the Avengers whenever he is needed.

Thor - …Thor
With the Siege on Asgard complete, Thor has declared to the world that he will not allow evil like Norman Osborne to flourish again and by his own divine authority he will stop it. He will help the Avengers whenever they need him.

Ms. Marvel – Carol Danvers

Carol has been promoted to Director of S.H.E.I.L.D. after the events of Secret Invasion and has finally found her place in this reality. She is good at it. Nick Fury still doesn't have the reputation to allow him to return to the position but Danvers does go to him for consult from time to time when she isn't sure where she is going. When the big stuff happens and Steve needs her, of course, she is always there to help. On the side, she has started a little thing with a kree member of the team.

Captain Marvel – Noh-Varr
Post Secret Invasion Noh-Varr wants to do something with his life. When the Skrull with Captain Marvel imprinted on him wanted to pass the torch to Noh-Varr it touched him. When he contacted the Kree collective they gave him the tools he needed to become something greater so he approached Cap about helping him on the new team as Captain Marvel.

Blue Marvel – Adam Brashear

In a post Dark Reign world, Adam the Blue Marvel struggles to find a place in it. When Tony Stark was Director of S.H.E.I.L.D. he was offered a spot on the Avengers and he turned it down citing a need to figure out his place in the world, but in a world that is always shifting how do you find a spot for you? Stark urges Rogers to seek out the blue marvel, which he does and when he finds him he offers Adam something he was having trouble finding, a support system. A way to cope with being the Blue Marvel in a modern world. He is a man out of time just like Steve is and decideds to join the Avengers to better understand himself.

The Scarlet Witch – Wanda Maximoff
As the bonds that Wanda Maximoff placed on the mutant community begin to break, hers is the first to snap. The Scarlet Witch is back and S.H.E.I.L.D. commander Carol Danvers figures the best way to keep her under control is to surround her with the most powerful people on the planet, but even then she is not alone. Her chaos magic can do a lot of damage so she has a new handler and trainer that has volunteered to stay with her at all times.

Former Sorcerer Supreme Dr. Stephen Strange
With the Avengers as a way to train and take care of Wanda, Strange has been filling the cracks of the magical Marvel Universe since Brother Voodoo took over as the Sorcerer Supreme. He now fills the role of care taker and mentor to Wanda Maximoff, the most dangerous mutant of all time. The secret that she caused the destruction of the Avengers and M-Day is kept amongst the heroes and is something she herself is attempting to come to grips with as Dr. Strange tries to ease the pressure of the magical burden she carries that is about to blow.

Secret Avengers

The secret Avengers are the X-Force of the Avengers line. Sent in to take care of the things the Avengers can't do, this is street level, low-profile, black-ops work. This team is the team in charge of stealth, reconnaissance, and political espionage and the team reflects that every step of the way. This is almost as much a crime book as it is a superhero book.
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis – Art by: Linel Yu
(Bendis isn't always the most popular dude, but I think he knows how to write characters he likes and I think he is very good at that sort of dynamic. He also sells a book. We've seen it. Despite all of our moaning there is a reason he is Marvel's #1 guy aside from the fact that he and Joey Q. are in love. Linel is here because this is his kind of book, dark, sketchy, and just awesome. This pairing has existed before… but it was great so I'm over it. Also, Yu is superhuman himself, he can get out like three issues a month! (This isn't a thrice monthly, it's just a compliment to Yu.))

Captain America – James Barnes

Steve started the team by turning to Bucky for his covert ops team. Bucky is used to doing Cap's "dirty work" and is happy to fill the role for Steve as his Secret Captain America. Bucky was allowed to compile his own team so he decided to gather the people he was most comfortable working with since he became Captain America.

Nick Fury – Nick Fury

No one on the planet knows espionage like Nick Fury. He is the world's greatest super spy and he intends to show why. Even without the limitless resources of S.H.E.I.L.D. he is the prime choice for acting as Bucky's second on the information and leadership front.

The Black Widow – Natasha Romanov
Bucky's girlfriend and the teams S.H.E.I.L.D. liason, Black Widow has been doing espionage since before half the team was born. She is an expert in all things covert and isn't afraid to prove it time and time again. She connects very closely with both Bucky and Nick Fury.

Spider-Man – Peter Parker
Perhaps the least suited to hiding in the shadows in his bright red and blue uniform, Peter Parker is part of the secret Avengers because he has an insane sense of duty and is very easy to guilt into things. Bucky is aware of this and exploits the hell out of it. Besides, Spidey is practically Avengers family by now.

Wolverine – James Howlett
Same with Wolverine, although his black ops experience is considerably more than Spidey's (mayhaps the most experience out of anybody as he hasn't been frozen a lot.) he also has a very close connection to Fury which cements his position on the team.

Spider-Woman – Jessica Drew
Jessica Drew is a S.H.E.I.L.D. trained, H.Y.D.R.A. trained, Avenger who is certainly no stranger to the ideas of subterfuge and misdirection. Spider-woman also has very strong ties to Nick Fury and when he showed up and asked her to join him on the new team of Avengers she agreed immediately.

Cloud 9 – Abigail Boylen
Cloud 9 has been officially trained and is a dangerous sniper. She can uniquely help the team with her ability to create obscuring cover and recon. She is also an expert sniper. She brings fresh blood to the table and yet is already hardened due to her traumatic time with the initiative. Her experience in Montana and against the skrulls will also come in handy. Oh yeah, and that big sniper rifle.

Avengers Academy
This book is about training young C and D list heroes to be future Avengers. However, it is just as much about the characters running the school attempting to find themselves.
Written by: Dan Slott – Art by: Arthur Adams
(I personally am not a huge fan of Slott's Avengers, however I loved his Avengers: The Initiative. This book is a bit of a mix of both. It has some old school Avengers and some new school C-listers. It's a little of both and I think that will be a good mix for Slott. Art Adams is amazing for nice, intimate, talking scenes and he is also really great when it comes to action! He's just good. I think he is a good choice for this book.)

Hawkeye – Clint Barton (Headmaster)
If there is anyone in the entire universe who needs to go on more of a soul search then Clint Barton, I don't know who it is. This guy is all kinds of messed up, but running the school might be exactly what he needs. He WANTS this kind of leadership role as much as he needs it, he just may not be willing to admit it. Perhaps he finally found the place he fits in with a world he left and returned to by the forces of Chaos Magic… especially when it comes to helping a student by the name of Hex.

Power Man – Luke Cage (Defensive Training)
Cage is now a family man. He has a wife who loves him, a kid, and the will to protect them as well as protect himself (since the heart surgery it is pretty dangerous for him to be exerting the kind of force and effort the used to.) This is a way for Luke Cage to take care of Luke Cage but still help fight the good fight. He fits here… when he isn't getting restless. I mean he led the Avengers once.

Taskmaster (Offensive Training)
Taskmaster goes where the wind blows, and now the wind blows with the good guys. Steve is willing to give Taskmaster the benefit of the doubt with regards to Norman's regime because of the good work Taskmaster did with the initiative proper, regardless of how ineffectual that program was. Taskmaster is all too eager to abandon the previous responsibility (and certain doom) Osborne had him under for a steady pay check and a constant stream of recruits to train and subsequently learn from. He'll just keep working until something better comes along or he has enough power to make something better come along.

The Wasp – Hank Pym (Science Mastery)
Hank has a lot of issues to deal with. His wife, the invasion, the Avengers… it's too much. The Academy allows him to fill a role he is much more comfortable with; just doing Science. Like Dr. Strange used to do in the Sanctum Sanctorum as the Sorcerer Supreme, the Scientist Supreme just wants to do research and science. Of course, he doesn't mind teaching a little on the side.

Melati Kusuma – Formerly Komodo (Science Intern)
Melati knows a lot about science. Formerly a grad student of Dr. Connor's she was able to perfect his Lizard formula that allowed her to become Komodo. She is happy to be back in the line of duty, even if it is not on the front line of the superheroes. She is even more excited to be working with the brilliant Hank Pym, even if it is getting kind of awkward with the feelings she is starting to develop for him.

I would suspect other characters to pop up as various teachers and guest teachers but the book would mostly focus on these characters as the teachers because of the nature of the characters, Hawkeye comes with Mockingbird and Luke comes with Jessica Jones. I also think it would be funny if Taskmaster, feeling left out, did an awful lot of hitting on the new recruits. I would also like to use the Young Avengers in this book as more or less Junior instructors who spend time with the recruits but also learn with them. One per team of recruits. As for the recruits, that would be pretty open. New characters, obscure characters, that we wouldn't be as concerned with as long as they are not being used somewhere else. The 50 state thing is dissolved so any of the crappy ones from there could come for Avenger training too. If one character does particularly well or serves to be popular they could be bumped up from Academy to one of the bigger books but they will all be involved in and provide some of the background bodies for the last book in the Avengers line.

Avengers United
This is the answer to event fatigue. One, self contained, Avengers title that is nothing but the equivalent of a line-wide crossover. Rotating artists pitch 4 to 8 issue minis that become arcs in Avengers United and touch every corner of the Marvel Universe and incorporate all three teams from the other books. These are fun blockbuster event comics and may even come out bimonthly.
Written by: Various Art by: Various

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back