Dream-Teaming Round 2: The Brotherhood of Mutants

bluebeast

Okay you're an assistant editor at the comic book publisher of your choice. You're boss comes in and tells you to drum up some roster ideas for a team-book they'd like to set-up for a future creative team to write. He asks for a proposal including: The roster of the team, The driving idea, explainations for character choices, and the creative team you'd like to see.

THE RULES------------------------

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the team in question to be built. He must also name the roster to be filled, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use more than 4 characters common in anyone else's team in the round, as in if team one has characters a,b,c,d,e, team two can have characters a,b,c,d in common, but cannot use character e. The team posted first takes priority.

3) You must write a brief two or three sentence plot summary, an explanation for each team member, and the creative team you'd like to see on the book.

4) After two weeks, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

5) The winner declared gets to choose the team in the next round.

This Round:
The Brotherhood of Mutants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Mutants

Round ends April 23rd

Begin!!!

So anyone as long as they're a mutant is fair game? I thought you had to specify a few characters.

Any character is fair play, but you should try and keep it in the teams established narrative

For example, a Guardians of the Galaxy team consisting of: Daredevil, Punisher, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Elektra, and Kingpin IS fair game, but not neccesarily a good idea, that could win you the round.

You ****er. I was just thinking about using him. I mean if I do a pitch.

Bring it.

I think this will be a tough round, just because there aren't that many mutants running around anymore.

Edit: Never mind. I've got it.

Last edited:
I've got an inkling of an idea, I'm going to be repurposing a Cloak & Dagger story idea I've been kicking around for a year or so

THE BROTHERHOOD

THE PREMISE

Norman Osborn, Director of HAMMER fears a mutant uprising in the future and wants his own undercover mutant agents just in case so he recruits Pietro Maximoff to lead a team of black ops mutants that answer his every call. Codenamed THE BROTHERHOOD, they infiltrate foreign nations such as Wakanda and Latveria, steal specific items from The Red Skull and The Mandarin, spy on HYDRA etc. They do what nobody else can - because they're mutants.

THE CAST

Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - From what I understand, the last few years Pietro has merely been wandering around, trying to seek redemption. Enough. I always thought he had a lot of potential, so why not let him lead his own mutant team? He can think fast in a tight spot so he's an ideal choice for this new Brotherhood.

Victor Creed/Sabertooth - The muscle. He's big, scary and can't be killed. Sabertooth should be a bigger badass than Wolverine. He should be a monster. Osborn didn't have to force him to do anything - he's doing this for FUN. I foresee a running joke being his fellow team members asking him, "weren't you dead?" and him threatening them that he's going to rip their throats out... and he eventually will.

Regan Wyngarde/Lady Mastermind - Probably the most powerful member on the team because he can convince people to see anything she wants. Questions will arise about who is really in charge on this team - Pietro or Regan?

Mortimer Toynbee/Toad - The scout... or the scapegoat. He gets stuck doing the jobs no one else on the team will do. He claims that he's better than the rest of them - he was an original member, for crying out loud! He was once Magneto's favourite! Toad is like a failed celebrity - he's clinging to whatever he can.

Raven Darkholme/Mystique - The super sexy spy. The ultimate secret agent. Osborn is keeping her rich and entertained so she's up for whatever.

Dominikos Petrakis/Avalanche - The reluctant member of the team. He's been running a bar under an alias of "Nick" for quite a while now, trying to get away from his past as a criminal... until the day Norman Osborn enters the bar, tells him he owns it now and that "Nick" works for him. Avalanche feels like an outcast amongst this group - he wants to be a hero, not a villain... and maybe his time will come soon enough.

Cain Marko/Juggernaut - Not really a member of the team, but just the guy that's called in when everything else fails. Nobody can stop the Juggernaut. And nobody can. He is their Hulk. They drop him in when they need him to **** **** up.

I originally had an idea with them being assembled to infiltrate Attilan but TOG told me Black Bolt is now leading the Kree and the Inhumans are no longer on the moon. I was going to use this story to clear up the Maximus taking over Attilan and Black Bolt being a Skrull mess but I decided to avoid it.

I sense a storyline would be Osborn sending the Brotherhood against Magneto and the High Evolutionary, which causes a divide in the team - do they continue to work for Osborn, or do they follow their natural, original leader? The team would split up and fight against each other... and maybe Magneto would begin to plot how to destroy HAMMER.

Also, Cyclops and the X-Men would eventually become aware of the team over time and their would be an epic collision.

As for a creative team... someone like Mike Carey, Ed Brubaker or Matt Fraction as the writer and Michael Lark as the artist. I want this to be like the Thunderbolts of the X-Men Universe and I feel it's more suitable than X-Force or anything else.

Thanks to TOG for some of the cast/story ideas.

I've got a tentative cast.

Namor
Forge
Storm
Iceman
The Stepford Cuckoos
Emma Frost
Beast
Cloak & Dagger
+ a nation of mermen

in the Savage Land

details later

Last edited:
Depends on their function, I'd say if they're field characters then 3, but if they're hanging back at home base in a support role, then I'd say 1

Well technically they share a group mind (i.e., Three-in-One). They do have individual personalities, but they're still basically identical clones.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....I'm not sure I'll do this round. I have a general idea of what I'd like to do and who I'd like to cast......but I can't figure out how to make it believable and come together.

Plus I like to base my stuff off the current events/climate of Marvel's 616 and since I'm not too up on my Xverse....

Hmmmmmmm....

The Brotherhood of Mutants
A new ongoing series from the House of Ideas

The Team: Mark Millar and Billy Tan

The Premise: Mutantkind is at an end. The X-Men are off in San Francisco making the best of an ugly situation and every other costumed hero is trying to deal with Norman Osborn's Dark Reign. Ever since the Scarlet Witch decimated the mutant population Magneto feels the loss of every mutant's abilities on his heart. Magnus now has resolved to bring his Brotherhood back together to save the Mutants from their greatest enemy, man. Magnus has lost thousands of supporters and his oldest generals are untrustworthy, powerless or dead. He now must do what he has to save Mutantkind by recruiting the worst of the worst. These are not the X-Men, they are not heroes, but they are a Brotherhood.

The Brotherhood:

Magneto
x-men-magneto_mid.jpg

The former messiah of Mutantkind has now regained his abilities but blames himself for the loss of his mutant brethren. Given his abilities by a Celestial for unknown reasons Magnus knows what his first duty is: to find his children and make them pay for what they did.

Avalanche
Avalanche1R.jpg

Trying to go the straight and narrow since the Decimation, Dominic has made a small life for himself owning a bar. Being approached by Magneto, he is reluctant to join, but he is convinced when he learns that the Brotherhood might just be able to give back the powers of all of the lost mutants.

Dark Beast
147616-dark-beast_150.jpg

Searching for a geneticist who might be able to restore Mutantkind, Magneto approaches one of the vilest creatures on the Earth Henry McCoy, the Dark Beast that is. Following his research with his altruistic counterpart Henry has redoubled his efforts to find a cure. Gaining Magneto's help will surely help Henry's needs, which may just help in more than one way.

Hellion
300px-Hellion_021.jpg

Facing even greater pain from the villainess the Leper Queen, Julian Keller has grown even more estranged from his brothers and sisters in the X-Men. This time being sought out by Magneto to become his new apprentice, Julian doesn't fight for the salvation of Mutantkind like his teammates, but for the destruction of the humans that have hurt him.

Proteus
440px-UltimateProteus.jpg

After the House of M an extremely powerful and rested Kevin MacTaggert was reborn in his original body. Gaining his old abilities of possession and reality control, Kevin has gained a new lease on life and wishes to help after the hundreds that he killed. Kevin will undoubtedly be the most powerful of the Brotherhood, and after incidents with the Phoenix and his own daughter, Magneto will keep a close eye on him.

Emplate
78418-184057-emplate_large.jpg

The brother of M, Marius St. Croix is a very disturbed individual. After 95% of the mutant population lost their powers Emplate has run out of meals and has learned that he can survive without the marrow of other mutants. Gaining a deep sorrow after the dozens that he devoured, Marius thinks the only reason to make up for his indiscretions is by bringing back the other mutants back, but can he control his hunger around his fellow Brotherhood.

Mister Immortal
Mister_Immortal.png

The last surviving member of the Great Lakes Avengers, who were all killed in a Purifier hate raid (yes even Squirrel Girl died) Craig Hollis has a darkened soul. Tired of being considered a joke despite the fact that he's one of the remaining Omega level mutants Craig gains a personal vendetta against the Purifiers and joins the Brotherhood in their attempt to rid the world of the Purifiers.

Stryfe
stryfe1280_2.jpg

Magneto is faced with a bewildered and fearful Stryfe as he returns from the future. Apparently he has seen what becomes of the future because of Apocalypse's machinations and knows that without the rest of the mutant population's revival no one will be able to stop him. Stryfe is brought on for his knowledge of the future, and his willingness to kill anyone who might try and stop the Brotherhood.

Typhoid Mary
77446-56888-typhoid-mary_large.jpg

The last in the unlikely line of mutants to join the ranks of the new Brotherhood, Mary Walker has been seemingly cured of her schizophrenia by the Initiative. Gaining control of her abilities fully and resembling a normal healthy woman Mary now wishes to be a hero. Magneto accepts her troubled soul with open arms but has Stryfe watching her to keep a hold of her different personalities.

The first arc of this book would probably involve the group uncovering the secrets about the Purifiers and taking down their largest cell. Eventually the group will hunt down Pietro and Wanda to make right the House of M and eventually try to restore Mutantkind to what it is. Of course an inevitable show-down with the X-Men will occur.

Latest posts

Back