Dreamcasting # 1: The Dark Knight Returns

Best Actors for Comic Book roles

I didn't have much luck with my dreamcasting game, so maybe this will work instead. Hopefully. Mods, if this belongs in a different topic please advise.

Instead of casting a whole film, just say who you think would('ve), could('ve), or should('ve) played the roles of your comic book favorites. No rules, really, just who you would or would've liked to play them, past, present or future and why.

I'll start it off with some of my picks...

Batman - Bruce Willis
Keaton made a good Bruce Wayne and Batman, but I always thought Willis could've done it ten times better. He's always been on top of his game and he's got the looks, physique and acting chops to handle the tole. Willis in the late 80's would've put butts in seats for a Batman film (not that Keaton/Nicholson didn't).

Spider-Man - Michael J. Fox
MJF (as we call him in the 'hood') defined the whiny, insecure teenager back in the Family Ties/Back to the Future days. Just once I would've loved to hear him say "Gee, Doc" to Doctor Octopus. Marty McFly was Peter Parker without his spider-powers, insecure but always able to get himself out of a tight squeeze. Better yet, team him up with Spielberg at the helm of a Spider-Man film back in those days and it would've been classic.

Captain America - Steve McQueen
McQueen was the perfect old-school action star to play the perfect old-school action superhero. Reading the Ultimates and checking out Hitch's art sometimes, that version of Cap really kind of looks like Steve McQueen. Forget Brad Pitt, Paul Walker or any of the current internet choices to play Cap in the proposed 2009 film... If McQueen was alive and in his prime, there wouldn't be another choice, period.

Superman - Patrick Warburton
Looks wise, Warburton's the perfect choice. Too bad he's always been a comedic actor, and the best he could do for picking a comic book role was the Tick on the old live-action series. Warburton could, however, easily play the more lighthearted Supes from the current All-Star Superman book... or the Supes from the last 2 original films with Chris Reeve (you know, Superman III: Who Cares? and Superman IV: Who Cares, but with a smaller budget?). As a serious, more dramatic Superman, it just wouldn't work. Still... if you look at the man, he's got the square jaw, the dark hair and the build for Superman.

Mr. Fantastic - Jeff Goldblum
What? Jeff Goldblum? Yes, Jeff Goldblum! He's always done a good job playing eccentric scientists (The Fly, Jurrasic Park, Independence Day) and often comes off as a neurotic perfectionist, which suits Reed Richards to a "T". Throw some curl relaxer in his hair and take a few years off him, he's perfect if you ask me.

Who's Next?

Re: Best Actors for Comic Book roles

Mine some of the heroes you mentioned

Batman - David Boreanaz

Seeing him as Angel in buffy and angel I know he can play the dark brooding guy and would be a good choice for the dark knight himself. As in looks I think he could pull off bruce wayne.

Spider-Man - Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

He can pull off the geeky highschool sudent. He can deliver one-liners and sarastic line perfectly (somthing IMO the spider-man in the movies is missing)

Catwoman - Sarah Michelle Gellar

She is very hot. We have seen her kick *** on tv as buffy so we know she has the moves. Plus who doesn't want to see her in the skin tight cat suit with a whip?

Colossus - Arnold Schwarzenegger

His acent is IMO a good one for the character. He is the right build. all in all i think a good choice.

Reed Richards- George Clooney - George Clooney

I don't really know why but I personaly think he would pull off Reed very good. I know he proberlly would not be everyones choice but i do think it could work.

The human torch - Leonardo DiCaprio

His looks are good for johnny. He can pull off the cockynss. He is my fave actor of all time as no matter what role he is in he IS that character unlike alot of actors.

Last edited:

Mods - do we have an existing similar topic already that this can be merged with?

I'd suggest the DKR thread, and just change the title to the title of this thread.

Mods - do we have an existing similar topic already that this can be merged with?

Well, there is sjmole's game, but that's mainly for picking out actors for Ultimate story arcs. There's also the Dreamcasting thread.

Your call.

Well, there is sjmole's game, but that's mainly for picking out actors for Ultimate story arcs. There's also the Dreamcasting thread.

Your call.

Eh, I guess we'll leave it. But lets cool it with these threads, guys.

ETA: Changed my mind. Merged with the Dreamcasting thread.

Re: Dreamcasting - Round One

Posting this *extremely* late...

Dreamcasting: Dark Knight Returns

Bruce Wayne/Batman - Clancy Brown (Brother Justin from Carnivale)

Just look at him act! He's got the deep, piercing gaze. The fearsome, commanding voice. The menacing snarl. Plus, anybody who's seen Carnivale can attest that his face looks hella intimidating in shadows.

Besides, the man has prior experience with comic book properties, anyway. He voiced Lex Luthor in the "Diniverse" DC cartoons (Superman: TAS, JLU). He also voices Mr. Krabs on Spongebob Squarepants, but I guess that's neither here nor there, really.

As for the rest of the cast...

Robin - Dakota Fanning

The Joker - Patrick Bauchau (playing off the quiet insanity of his role as Lodz in Carnivale -- can you tell it's my all-time favorite series?)

Alfred Pennyworth - Albert Finney (Big Fish)

Jim Gordon - Terry O'Quinn (Locke from Lost)

Harvey Dent/Two Face - Peter Gallagher (channeling his character from American Beauty)

Green Arrow - character actor Treat Williams

Superman - Kyle MacLachlan

Dr. Wolper - Tony Chaloub (Monk, Stark Raving Mad)

Lana Lang - Rosie O'Donnell

Ellen Yindel - Linda Fiorentino (Dogma)

Selina Kyle/Catwoman - Marcia Gay Harden

When are we getting Dreamcasting - Round II?

Kyle McLachlan's an interesting choice for Superman. Mind elaborating?

Edit: Green Lantern? huh?

Last edited:

I enjoy Compounds' shoices for all these Dream Casting games because instead of relying on "looks" alone----he goes for character actors that will get the persona of the individual down pact and make you believe that they are the person on screen.

Case in point is Clancy Brown. While not the most handsome or well-known face in Hollywood, he could bring forth the Dark Knight persona perfectly and reminds me of Alex Ross' images of Batman.

It looks like a major sense of realism is key in Compound's choices. Awesome stuff.

Kyle McLachlan's an interesting choice for Superman. Mind elaborating?
Sure, he's classicaly handsome (in the Hollywood leading man kind of way), but also comes across as extremely sinister and menacing, even when he's supposed to be representing the ostensible "good guys"... all of which makes him ideally cast as a perverted, fascist embodiment of American ideals gone wrong.

EDIT: Green Lantern? Where was he ever mentioned?

Last edited:

Case in point is Clancy Brown. While not the most handsome or well-known face in Hollywood, he could bring forth the Dark Knight persona perfectly and reminds me of Alex Ross' images of Batman.

The thing with Clancy Brown is that he would be SO GOOD as Lex Luthor in a live-action Superman film it would just depress me to see him play a different DC role.

Clancy would absolutely stomp the **** out of Kevin Spacey in both a "Best Lex Luthor" competition and a physical fight.

I will PM E shortly, to get a decisive answer re: whether this can be re-started as a legitimate game. It's just waaay too fun to be limited to a single thread.

Last edited:

I will PM E shortly, to get a decisive answer re: whether this can be re-started as a legitimate game. It's just waaay too fun to be limited to a single thread.

Did you get an answer dude?

Where is round two?!?!?!?!?!1111

I'm just killing to join, especially in rounds involving animated series casting.

Latest posts

Back