Dreamcasting #17 - Ultimate Fantastic Four

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Bringin' back home to Marvel!

So I've been so sad over the current state of affairs of UFF (and with the movies)...so I've been going back and rereading the series prior to Carey's run. And it got me thinking......who would I cast to play the new First Family of Marvel?

Well I don't know yet....but now's your chance to do the same.

The Rules According To Doom............And The Rounds Before This One​
1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

3) After 10 days the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

You must cast the fantastic roles (...pun intended) of:

Reed Richards, Mr.Fantastic

Sue Storm, Invisible Woman

Johnny Storm, The Human Torch

Ben J. Grimm, The Thing

Professor Franklin Storm

Dr. Arthur Molekevic

Victor Von Doom (Van Damme), Dr. Doom

Namor

Round goes until midnight (Central Time) 17 Oct. Voting begins right after and ends at midnight 18 Oct. Winner announced 19 Oct.

This will most likely be a bad cast by me again but what the hell.

Ultimate Fantastic four

Reed Richards, Mr.Fantastic – Matthew Broderick – I wanted my cast to be similar to comics , previous film and other forms , Like what they do with comic book forms. We've seen him be a geek before which Reed is.

Also there is something about Broderick that even in Ferris Bueller seemed older that he is , by this I mean some intelligence that reed needs , He also looks sort of like the movie version with a mixture of comic book look to him too.

Sue Storm, Invisible Woman – Elizabeth Banks – I didn't want another dumb version of Sue like the film , I wanted an actress who I honestly thought could play a stronger sue while still looking hot , Another important part for me was someone who I thought could play an older sister to the guy I cast as Johnny.

Johnny Storm, The Human Torch – Ryan Reynolds – He pretty much to me is johnny and was the first person I cast on my list , Everything from his look to mannerisms and the way he acts in a lot of films just seems the perfect Johnny

Ben J. Grimm, – Patrick Warburton – Big enough to look like he would have been Matthew Broderick's protecter in school , Also his voice is perfect for Ben and I figure since most of ben will voice once he becomes everyone's favourite orange pet rock

The Thing – done the same way as movie with of course Patrick Warburton's voice which works well as it's deep enough to thing but sarcastic enough at times to pull off any one liner's with the back and forth with johnny.

Professor Franklin Storm – Sean Connery – This is to play up the fact Franklin Storm is a farther figure to Reed , He may be wrong for the choice but to play up the element I wanted to focus on he's the best man for the job

Dr. Arthur Molekevic – Danny DeVito – I know out of my choices this will be the one people may hate but Molekevic needs to be a disgusting little mole-man and honestly DeVito just popped in my head for it and stayed there so I thought ok then DeVito it is.

Victor Van Damme, Dr. Doom – Christopher Lee – this choice is for in the suit , He has a very old style sound to his voice as well as it been intimidating , This is how Doom needs to be.

Young Doom – Gerard Butler – I think we need a flash back at some point so we know how doom came to be so to speak so Gerard Butler , only because I want young doom to seem like a strong ruler from the get go so I went with him from 300 as I figured it just works

Namor – Antonio Banderas - he seems exotic enough to be from Atlantis , I'm not gay or anything but he's good looking enough to believe Sue would tempted by him , plus he kind of looks like Namor

Mole, cept for Lee and Broderick, that's a pretty darn good cast.

Devito is the perfect Molevic.

Last edited:
Mole, cept for Lee and Broderick, that's a pretty darn good cast.

Devito is the perfect Molevic.

Cool thanks dude , Ironic that Devito was the one choice i thought was the weakest pick

Cool thanks dude , Ironic that Devito was the one choice i thought was the weakest pick

It was a really good cast except for one thing, this is Ultimate Fantastic Four. Reed's the oldest and is supposed to be 21. They're good choices for an adult FF movie but the characters are just too old.

It was a really good cast except for one thing, this is Ultimate Fantastic Four. Reed's the oldest and is supposed to be 21. They're good choices for an adult FF movie but the characters are just too old.

I know , but I tried to mix all fantastic four like the other movie is meant to be 616 but yet they are younger i went for more older as well to separate the two plus I wanted those actors e.g Broderick and thought "well when ever they make a comic film they mix diffrent things" so i tried mixing to get a cast i liked.

but thanks dude glad you liked it besides the age thing

I know , but I tried to mix all fantastic four like the other movie is meant to be 616 but yet they are younger i went for more older as well to separate the two plus I wanted those actors e.g Broderick and thought "well when ever they make a comic film they mix diffrent things" so i tried mixing to get a cast i liked.

but thanks dude glad you liked it besides the age thing

It's a good cast. Elizabeth Banks is my definative choice for regular Sue and Danny Devito and Patrick Warburton are spot on. I think I'll just go for a younger blend.

It's a good cast. Elizabeth Banks is my definative choice for regular Sue and Danny Devito and Patrick Warburton are spot on. I think I'll just go for a younger blend.

Fair enough dude , just explaining to you why I went older

and cool I normally love your casts

The existing film franchise is most CERTAINLY younger than our present 616 comics Fantastic Four, but they are also significantly older than the Ultimate Fantastic Four. In effect, you're still going to have to skew younger no matter what.

Try casting a little bit in the 15-29 year old age range, that is to say actors who are either of college age, or are still capable of playing characters in college. No one, including you, seemed to have had any problem with doing so for The Legion of Superheroes.

Last edited:
uffCAST.jpg

James Roday as Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic
I love this guy on Psych and young/ultimate Reed Richards seems to "wing it" a lot with advanced sciences just like Shawn Spencer does with solving crimes. Everything about this choice just fits from my perspective, and I think Roday is perfect on the acting side as well as the obvious appearance.

Anna Faris as Sue Storm/Invisible Girl
Anna Faris is mostly known for her comedy roles in the big spoof films, but she's got a handful of roles from films like "Brokeback Mountain" and "Lost in Translation" which have displayed a more well-rounded repetoire. She's known to be smart and funny, which is Sue Storm 100% and she's at a close enough age to the character for this one to work. I would've chosen Hilary Duff if she was a better actress (based on Greg Land's UFF art which is Duffcentric), but every time I see her in a movie she still acts like Lizzie f'n Maguire. Damn Disney kids.

Emile Hirsch as Johnny Storm/Human Torch
This role has Emile Hirsch written all over it. If you want reasons, just watch this kid act. Take films like "The Emperor's Club" or "The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys" for example, or even "Lords of Dogtown". Despite being the next Leo DiCaprio, he's just got that cocky teenager attitude and would be right at home wisecracking with Ben and Reed, and loving his new powers. Chris Evans has been the best in the regular FF films so far, but for the Ultimate incarnation of Johnny Storm, it's all about Emile Hirsch.

Eric Dane as Ben Grimm/The Thing
Casting Ben/Thing is extremely difficult, especially trying to find the right "young" actor to do it. I settled on Eric Dane only because my head would've exploded if I'd had to do much more research. I think he's young enough for this, and once his transformation is complete, the looks don't really matter. What does matter is that he could play the "heavy" as Reed's big friend and designated back-watcher and then be able to pull off Ben-as-Thing's softer, sadder side. He's shown streaks of greatness on Gray's Anatomy and so I think he's a safe bet.

John C. McGinley as Professor Franklin Storm
McGinley wins for me on this. He's about the right age to be the father of two late-teeners/early-twenties kids, he can play serious and most importantly, he can be a total dick to Reed. Just take his attitude towards Zach Braff in Scrubs and apply it as needed. It's perfect.

Jack Black as Arthur Molekevic
I know deep down that Jack Black can play diabolical, but let's face it, Mole Man has never really been taken seriously. Therefore, an actor is required that can make Mole Man funny and maybe just a little sympathetic. I'd choose DeVito, but I thought that was too easy (no offense, Mole... DeVito works great!). I'd toyed around with a few other ideas, but none of them really made me say "wow what a great choice" until I saw this picture of JB and said "there we go!" Honestly, I've been waiting to see Jack Black play sort of a dyed-in-the-wool, old school villain complete with cackles and body language, some of his strong points. This is his chance.

Ian Somerhalder as Victor Von Doom
He's definitely not conventional Doom material, but for a young Doom, Somerhalder could work wonders. He has a certain aura of arrogance to him combined with great emotional range. I think, as the jealous friend-of-convenience to Reed Richards he'd be great, using Reed's genius to make him rich and famous (which, as we all know, backfires) and then hating Reed because things didn't work out according to plan. As with Ben/The Thing, once the story progressed, looks wouldn't factor in much to the equation and CGI/special effects would take care of everything from there.

Dante Basco as Namor
I watched Hook. Rufio reminds me of Namor. That's all.

Try casting a little bit in the 15-29 year old age range, that is to say actors who are either of college age, or are still capable of playing characters in college. No one, including you, seemed to have had any problem with doing so for The Legion of Superheroes.

I know , but like I said I just wanted an older cast

I love and dislike this cast at once.

James Roday as Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic
I love this guy on Psych and young/ultimate Reed Richards seems to "wing it" a lot with advanced sciences just like Shawn Spencer does with solving crimes. Everything about this choice just fits from my perspective, and I think Roday is perfect on the acting side as well as the obvious appearance.

While I love Roday's role on Psych....I think he's a little too old to play Reed. Plus he's not the kinda neurotic Reed is. Reed is science obsessive....Shawn is an outgoing personality.

Anna Faris as Sue Storm/Invisible Girl
Anna Faris is mostly known for her comedy roles in the big spoof films, but she's got a handful of roles from films like "Brokeback Mountain" and "Lost in Translation" which have displayed a more well-rounded repetoire. She's known to be smart and funny, which is Sue Storm 100% and she's at a close enough age to the character for this one to work. I would've chosen Hilary Duff if she was a better actress (based on Greg Land's UFF art which is Duffcentric), but every time I see her in a movie she still acts like Lizzie f'n Maguire. Damn Disney kids.

I actually don't have a real problem with this.

Emile Hirsch as Johnny Storm/Human Torch
This role has Emile Hirsch written all over it. If you want reasons, just watch this kid act. Take films like "The Emperor's Club" or "The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys" for example, or even "Lords of Dogtown". Despite being the next Leo DiCaprio, he's just got that cocky teenager attitude and would be right at home wisecracking with Ben and Reed, and loving his new powers. Chris Evans has been the best in the regular FF films so far, but for the Ultimate incarnation of Johnny Storm, it's all about Emile Hirsch.

This I like.

Eric Dane as Ben Grimm/The Thing
Casting Ben/Thing is extremely difficult, especially trying to find the right "young" actor to do it. I settled on Eric Dane only because my head would've exploded if I'd had to do much more research. I think he's young enough for this, and once his transformation is complete, the looks don't really matter. What does matter is that he could play the "heavy" as Reed's big friend and designated back-watcher and then be able to pull off Ben-as-Thing's softer, sadder side. He's shown streaks of greatness on Gray's Anatomy and so I think he's a safe bet.

Hmmm....I don't know. He could mst certainly pull it off....I just think he's too old for the role.

John C. McGinley as Professor Franklin Storm
McGinley wins for me on this. He's about the right age to be the father of two late-teeners/early-twenties kids, he can play serious and most importantly, he can be a total dick to Reed. Just take his attitude towards Zach Braff in Scrubs and apply it as needed. It's perfect.

Love McGinley. Not so much for Storm.

Jack Black as Arthur Molekevic
I know deep down that Jack Black can play diabolical, but let's face it, Mole Man has never really been taken seriously. Therefore, an actor is required that can make Mole Man funny and maybe just a little sympathetic. I'd choose DeVito, but I thought that was too easy (no offense, Mole... DeVito works great!). I'd toyed around with a few other ideas, but none of them really made me say "wow what a great choice" until I saw this picture of JB and said "there we go!" Honestly, I've been waiting to see Jack Black play sort of a dyed-in-the-wool, old school villain complete with cackles and body language, some of his strong points. This is his chance.

This I could actually see. He was a second choice for Mole...but in the end...I think DeVito was just too great. I expect I'll see alot of Devito in people's casting.

Ian Somerhalder as Victor Von Doom
He's definitely not conventional Doom material, but for a young Doom, Somerhalder could work wonders. He has a certain aura of arrogance to him combined with great emotional range. I think, as the jealous friend-of-convenience to Reed Richards he'd be great, using Reed's genius to make him rich and famous (which, as we all know, backfires) and then hating Reed because things didn't work out according to plan. As with Ben/The Thing, once the story progressed, looks wouldn't factor in much to the equation and CGI/special effects would take care of everything from there.

I'm on the fence with this one. Should he properly be able to convey a convincing accent I'd approve.

Dante Basco as Namor
I watched Hook. Rufio reminds me of Namor. That's all.

Rufiooooooooooo...........

Here's what I have so far.

Reed Richards - Gale Harold
I always cast this guy. James Roday was a sweet choice for Reed, but I think Harold could pull it off also.

Sue Storm - Elisha Cuthbert
Bryan Hitch's original UFF concept sketch of Invisible Woman was based off of Elisha Cuthbert. Other than that, she's a pretty good actress and looks the part.

Johnny Storm - Lucas Black
I couldn't think of anyone for this. Lucas Black is a little old, but I think he'd be a good Johnny Storm.

Ben Grimm - Oprah Winfrey

Victor Van Damme - Rufus Sewell

Prof. Franklin Storm - Oprah Winfrey

Dr. Molekevic - Oprah Winfrey

Namor - Oprah Winfrey
I originally had Justin Theroux in mind for Namor. However, Namor's supposed to look oriental, so I'm going to choose someone else....

Last edited:
Doom... concerning Somerhalder and the accent... it just dawned on me. I'm not going to take back my pick because that's not in the rules, but if anyone else wants to use this pick then feel free because it's golden!

Gaspard Ulliel as Victor Von Doom
Also known as young Hannibal Lecter. I don't know why I didn't think of that first.

ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR

Reed Richards, Mr.Fantastic - Colin Hanks

reedrichardscolinhankseg1.jpg

The problem with Reed Richards is that he doesn't exist. I don't think there's any actor in Hollywood who looks like a real nerd and is also capable of playing a character who isn't a huge joke. Case in point: I think the nearest physical match I could come up with was Christopher Mintz-Plasse of Superbad fame. But I'd be willing to bet that "McLovin" was more him than it was acting and that if called on to do a serious role, the results would be disastrous.

So I'm going with an older (sorry Ourchair) but more experienced choice: Colin Hanks. He's got a nice mix of nerdiness and good looks, and a good amount of his father's charisma. Though he may be a little too old, I like him as Reed.

Sue Storm, Invisible Woman - Julia Stiles

1754942458.jpg

Sue Storm is a sensible and confident girl who's not some typical blond hottie. (Despite what Greg Land's art would have you believe.) Not only is she a great match to Hitch's original UFF designs, but Julia Stiles has played many Sue-like characters throughout her career and I think she's well suited to the role.

Johnny Storm, The Human Torch - Bret Harrison

20060308_bret_harrison.jpg

I never really like Chris Evans in the FF movies. On paper, he's everything that Johnny Storm is supposed to be, but something has always just made him annoying to me. I think Bret Harrison from "Reaper" would be a more suitable choice. I could imagine him doing Johnny's cocky side well, but with a hint of the pathetic-ness that Evans is lacking. Johnny isn't supposed to be the coolest guy in the world, he just thinks he is.

Ben J. Grimm, The Thing - Tyler Labine

0000009087_20060920160519.jpg

Yes, the other guy from "Reaper". When I first cast Bret Harrison as Johnny, I was thinking about how much I thought Tyler Labine had a very young Ben Grimm-personality. But he's not much of a physical match so I passed him over. Now, after having mulled through a lot of boring "frat-guy/jock" types, I've decided to go back to my original idea. Just imagine Labine a bit lighter and with different hair and I think he could fit the part. Plus, his time on "Reaper" will give him a natural report with Harrison.

Professor Franklin Storm - Jeff Daniels

Jeff_Daniels%20-%201%20-%20The_Lookout.jpg

Professor Storm is an interesting role to cast. You have to go with a middle-aged actor, but Storm has always seemed a little younger looking than the average middle-aged dad. For me, Jeff Daniels and Kevin Costner were the best options I could come up with. I went with Jeff Daniels, as he seems to have more experience with "dad" roles and he doesn't take himself as seriously.

Dr. Arthur Molekevic - Paul Giamatti

51301280_10.jpg

Used with Doom's permission. Giamatti may be Hollywood's go-to "everyman", but he can definitely play creepy and weird when he wants to. He doesn't even have to gain much weight. He certainly project Molekevic's slimy personality better than most.

Victor Von Doom (Van Damme), Dr. Doom - Joseph Gordon-Levitt

thelookout.gif

Certainly my proudest choice. For those who don't know, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was the kid on "Third Rock From the Sun" who went on to supernaturally transform into one of the best actors in his age group with movies like Brick and The Lookout. If anyone can portray the arrogant evil of Victor Van Damme, it's him.

Namor - Ian Somerhalder

0000000860_20060919024831.jpg

To me, Namor seems like a more flighty version of Dr. Doom. He's an arrogant pretty-boy who thinks he can do whatever the hell he wants. Looking like he was born in a box labeled "Male Model", "Lost"'s Ian Somerhalder has the looks and the seeming arrogant aloofness to pull off Namor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back