Dreamcasting # 18: Jim Lee's WildC.A.T.s!

Half of Bass' posts are the same 3 pictures.

Hack.

stfubabyhr2.jpg

Dracula 2000 was cool.

stfuunclesamedi8.jpg

Thanks, Mole, for bringing up Dracula 2000. You just proved my point.

Though, Dracula 3000 featuring the equally awe-inspiring acting talents of one Casper Van Dien (or is it Van Diem... or is it Van Who Gives a Flying Rat's Bunghole?) was much worse.

Willverine FTW.

Also, Serenity was just a big-screen continuation of Firefly which did a really quick "hellogoodbye" routine at theaters, with Nathan Fillion playing a cut-rate Han Solo type. Sure, it had a cult following, but so did Babylon 5, and if you want to try and argue that Bruce Boxleitner or Claudia Christian are good actors then that argument is just going to fall on deaf ears.

So I'll give that to your beloved Nathan. He's better than Bruce Boxleitner and Claudia Christian. And David Hasselhoff, except during the Knight Rider days because the Hoff was on top back then.

The reason those ears of yours are deaf:
headupasskv8.gif

wildcatsjg5.jpg
Top: Michael Douglas, Brad Pitt, Kelly Hu, Max Martini
Bottom: Bryce Dallas Howard, John Cusak, Alan Tudyk, Jennifer Garner​

Not really knowing anything about the property…I'm basing my choices off the old cartoon and general character archetypes fitting my envisioning off the film.

Jacob Marlowe/Lord EmpMichael Douglas – Greed is good. I'm not seeing a short megalomaniac. I'm seeing a former demonoid ruler who has morphed his appearance to that of a human. And while he may no longer lead an army or kingdom…he still has the dictator mentality. And what better way to prosper in dictator fashion in the world of man than becoming a CEO of a multibillion dollar entertainment corporation? For this role…I'm envisioning Michael Douglas channeling his old "Wall Street" personality to truly capture the sinister-blood thirsty nature of the evil tycoon.

SpartanBrad Pitt – the human who is a cyborg…who essentially is a human…kinda. I envision Spartan as being modeled after the "perfect male". And sure he can pass as human and run a business…but deep down he's still a robot. For the "supposed" emotionally void cyborg I cast Brad Pitt. Playing a slight variant on his "Meet Joe Black" role…Pitt can easily do "distant" and "out of touch"…all while properly trying to handle these new feelings for a certain special someone. It's "Meet Joe Black"…with punching and explosions.

Voodoo Kelly Hu – Exotic looking psychic? Hmmm…where have I seen this before? Oh yeah…Kelly Hu as the Sorceress in "Scorpion King". Not knowing much about the character, this was based soley off typecasting. I'm so ashamed of myself.

Grifter Max Martini – Anyone who's smart enough to watch CBS's "The Unit" knows that Martini is a complete badass. And on top of that…his character is jaded with his job and his life is falling apart. That is Grifter. Unfortunately, since most of you don't watch "The Unit" the brilliance of this casting and my Dennis Haysbert as Ultimate Nick Fury is lost on you.

Zealot Bryce Dallas Howard – I see this role as the stoic female warrior who has neither time nor patience for the trivialities of man. He only destiny is to conquer. And that she does. Normally you'd go for the big established Amazonian warrior women like Kate Beckinsale or Lucy Lawless or Jessica Biel to do this. But I thought that the quiet mystery Howard brought to "Lady in the Water" was perfect for this role. She just exudes this presence of accomplishment…so take that and have her take it to the extreme by making her character ready to cut her way thru a horde of demons instead of take some strategy. This might seem like the most unlikely miscast, but I believe she has the range to pull it off.

Maul John Cusak – Cusak plays the rambling unsure every man to a T. Why not once more? Only have this be his normal form and when it's time to get big we convert to CGI ala Hulk. As the giant Maul, I'd have the beast voiced by the baritone Phil Lamar (Green Lantern from JLU).

Warblade Alan Tudyk – Struggling artist who can morph his hands and arms into giant blades and slice his way thru an army all while wisecracking? I'm gonna go for Alan Tudyk. The comedic method actor can cover the physical and comedic timing for this role with ease. And what's a dreamcast round without a Whedonverse cast member?

Void Jennifer Garner – I am gonna go out on a limb here and not have Jennifer Garner in a full physical form. For my film she'd be merely a giant shadowy hologram. I'm thinking more like The Thinker from "Checkmate". Either way…the emotionally void holographic projection of a supercomputer is best played by an emotionally void actor…but one who still has a presence to her. Can you tell I'm tired of justifying my choices?

Decided since there was not much entries I would try even though I said I wouldn't

Jim Lee's
WildC.A.T.s
Covert * Action * Teams

Jacob Marlowe, aka Lord Emp – Peter MacNicol – This based on the description "- the short-stature owner of the media-tech conglomerate" He's short and seems as though he could pull off the owner of a media-tech conglomerate. Now I'll admit action wise maybe hard but they got others you wouldn't think could do actions scenes to do it well now days so I don't know.

Hadrian, aka Spartan -Thomas Haden Church – this one everyone will think "oh Spider-man 3 actor pass" or something but the character Spartan is an android he needs someone who is a hard man but can also seem caring to express and parts where he starts to feel human even if it is not in the comic (no idea not read it) but every hollywood film seems to make them anyway so he's my pick.

Priscilla Kitaen, aka Voodoo – Salma Hayek – This pick was from her Dusk till Dawn character , A dancing sexy vampire seemed to match up with the sexy dancing hypnotist , may be wrong but that's who came mind first.

Cole Cash, Grifter – Dougray Scott , from reading descriptions of Grifter this guy just screamed the role to me , It might just me due to only seeing it from descriptions

Zannah of Kera, aka Zealot -Michelle Ryan – I like her in the new bionic woman , not my first choice , my fist choice was Michelle Dockery but I figured most won't know who she is (She was Susan in Hogfather) So this was my second choice.

Jeremy Stone, aka Maul – Eric Mabius – the character seems he would need to be smart , a little cocky as he knows what he can do , he needs to also imo be slightly dark as Eric was as the crow. So adding up all the qualities this is my choice.

Reno Bryce, aka Warblade – Christian Bale – Seems to me you need a guy who can play up the romantic artist BUT still be a deadly warrior , Christian Bale has the right acting to pull off all the elements needed and has proven him dedicated to the roles he's cast in so this could work.

Void – Angelina Jolie – this choice I think will be bad one BUT I figured it's a computer/hologram right? So I instantly thought of weird science and trying to make a sexy woman , So I figured she's sexy and reminds me of Lisa from weird science lets cast her.

Last edited:
Great cast. Even though you mispelled 'Cusak'. :p

wildcatsjg5.jpg
Top: Michael Douglas, Brad Pitt, Kelly Hu, Max Martini
Bottom: Bryce Dallas Howard, John Cusak, Alan Tudyk, Jennifer Garner​

Not really knowing anything about the property…I'm basing my choices off the old cartoon and general character archetypes fitting my envisioning off the film.

Grifter Max Martini – Anyone who's smart enough to watch CBS's "The Unit" knows that Martini is a complete badass. And on top of that…his character is jaded with his job and his life is falling apart. That is Grifter. Unfortunately, since most of you don't watch "The Unit" the brilliance of this casting and my Dennis Haysbert as Ultimate Nick Fury is lost on you.
I'm pretty sure I cast Haysbert as Nick Fury too. Maybe first, even. Probably both. :p

Victor Von Doom said:
Zealot Bryce Dallas Howard – I see this role as the stoic female warrior who has neither time nor patience for the trivialities of man. He only destiny is to conquer. And that she does. Normally you'd go for the big established Amazonian warrior women like Kate Beckinsale or Lucy Lawless or Jessica Biel to do this. But I thought that the quiet mystery Howard brought to "Lady in the Water" was perfect for this role. She just exudes this presence of accomplishment…so take that and have her take it to the extreme by making her character ready to cut her way thru a horde of demons instead of take some strategy. This might seem like the most unlikely miscast, but I believe she has the range to pull it off.
No it's not miscasting. It's sagely inventive brilliance. Once again, Doom shows he is the man. Truly an inspired choice.

Victor Von Doom said:
Maul John Cusak – Cusak plays the rambling unsure every man to a T. Why not once more? Only have this be his normal form and when it's time to get big we convert to CGI ala Hulk. As the giant Maul, I'd have the beast voiced by the baritone Phil Lamar (Green Lantern from JLU).
That's brilliant. Cusack should be channeling his self-deprecating monologuing mouthy persona into more genre pics, if only because it helps deflate the sense of self-seriousness such movies carry with them.

Victor Von Doom said:
Warblade Alan Tudyk – Struggling artist who can morph his hands and arms into giant blades and slice his way thru an army all while wisecracking? I'm gonna go for Alan Tudyk. The comedic method actor can cover the physical and comedic timing for this role with ease. And what's a dreamcast round without a Whedonverse cast member?
Honestly not a choice I would've made, but when placed next to everyone else on this cast, it's great and it makes the total package well balanced. There's a lovably humorous and likeable sensiblity to the kind of film this cast suggests.

GREATNESS.

Vote for Doom.

I would have never thought of each casting pick individually, but they make a great package. Doom took a dull, generic 90s comic and made a lovably fun adventure film with a likeable cast out of it that looks like it could actually be possible to assemble them together today.

Follow his example, boys.

Last edited:
This one is really difficult.

I love Bluebeast's Emp, Proj's cast is solid, Doom's Emp and Maul are fantastic choices, and Mole's Emp and Spartan are great too.

Haaaard.

Great cast. Even though you mispelled 'Cusak'. :p

I'm pretty sure I cast Haysbert as Nick Fury too. Maybe first, even. Probably both. :p

Even if you did do it first....I'm American. So that means mine's the only one that counts. :p

No it's not miscasting. It's sagely inventive brilliance. Once again, Doom shows he is the man. Truly an inspired choice.

*glaps hands together giddily*

Honestly not a choice I would've made, but when placed next to everyone else on this cast, it's great and it makes the total package well balanced. There's a lovably humorous and likeable sensiblity to the kind of film this cast suggests.

You have no idea how hard I kick myself for falling back to a dreamcasting staple like Tudyk.

I would have never thought of each casting pick individually, but they make a great package. Doom took a dull, generic 90s comic and made a lovably fun adventure film with a likeable cast out of it that looks like it could actually be possible to assemble them together today.

But you pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to my castings. I try to mix up the casts and have a sense of credability to the project. I try to think "who would really be in this film if it were made?" while I cast. You obviously need a big drawing name like Pitt to get the mainstream, noncomic readers interested in seeing it. But then it's imortant that the cast have some kinda chemistry.

Now comes the voting part.....in which I cannot vote for myself. :(

Like all other rounds, there's not really a whole cast that I can truly get behind---so I have to choose major aspects from each choice and decide which one works best.

Bluebeast had a great Grifter and Warblade. Bass had an inspired choice for Marlowe. Proj had 2 awesome choices with Spartan and Maul.

Now comes the hard part......

Like all other rounds, there's not really a whole cast that I can truly get behind---so I have to choose major aspects from each choice and decide which one works best.

Bluebeast had a great Grifter and Warblade. Bass had an inspired choice for Marlowe. Proj had 2 awesome choices with Spartan and Maul.

Now comes the hard part......

What about my cast :(

Latest posts

Back