Dreamcasting #19: PLANETARY (closes Nov 8th)

Bass

Nexus of the World
That's fecking right.

I thought about EARTH X but then realised that the cast is just too damned big.

None of you know 100 BULLETS you philistines.

And you're all witless jackanapes who don't read EMPOWERED.

I thought about LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMAN because it was the most popular ABC title, but I'd love to do TOP 10 or TOM STRONG more.

But I'm going for this one. PLANETARY.

The above - well, next time I win, I'll do one of them, but maybe the guy who wins this one will do one of the above.

PLANETARY.

You gotta cast the main three - Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner, and The Drummer. The rest is up to you.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS: Some people will not have read the series but still be interested in this game. For their sakes, please be careful with spoilers.

Okay - The main trio. The Four, Ambrose Chase, Hark - all up to you. The main three are what's important for the game.

YES!

I mean, I have no starting ideas, but STILL.

Also, please NO SPOILERS. I've only read the first three trades.

Also, I read EMPOWERED and 100 BULLETS. Which is why I ****ing rule.

ElijahSnow.jpg
Snow.jpg

Elijah Snow - Liam Neeson

I think that Neeson has the voice and can play the ornery old Snow. Can you see him in the white trenchcoat with the frosted hair. I can.

JakitaWagner.jpg
Wagner.jpg

Jakita Wagner - Kate Beckinsale

I know a lot of people cast her. And I did once before for Zatanna, but this time I think she is perfect for the role.

Drummer1.jpg
TheDrummer.jpg

The Drummer - Colin Farrell

I almost thought of Del Toro but I figured he was too old. Farrell could add the youth and humor to the team.

ambrosechase.jpg
Chase.jpg

Ambrose Chase - Djimon Hounsou

The bad *** Matrix style character. Djimon can do the action scenes and bring a great level of intensity.

LordBlackstock.jpg
Blackstock.jpg

Lord Blackstock - Matthew McConaughey

I thought I would throw this in year. The ode to Tarzan. McConaughey as the half naked but brillant Tarzan. I could see that.

RandallDowling.jpg
DrDowling.jpg

Dr. Randall Dowling - Hugo Weaving

The main villain. The egoistical, brilliant homage to Mr.Fantastic. Can you imagine him lording over the heroes talking down to them?

Kim.jpg
Kim1.jpg

Kim Süskind - Rebecca Romijn

The wife of Dowling. Rebecca is no stranger to comic movies and this one would have her playing the Sue Storm character that is the super*****.

WilliamLeather.jpg
Leather.jpg

William Leather - Timothy Olyphant

The other Human Torch. Very cocky and full of himself. Similar to Olyphant's character in Die Hard.

And I think that The Thing's character could be anyone for the most part.

I was thinking of casting this but I couldn't really think of anyone. I'm glad I didn't bother, because TOG has one seriously awesome cast. Hugo Weaving as Dowling is just scary good.

Not too sure about the main three guys, but the supporting cast is great.

Okay, I've decided to do a cast. Well, I'll do the main three and then if I get any ideas, I'll edit them in. But right now, I think TOG's supporting cast is superb so if I did it, I'd probably be stealing all of his.

Basically, when I dreamcast, I just look at pictures of the characters until an actor's name comes into my mind. This is either because they have similar appearances, or personalities, or there's something that connects the two. This time, I'm basing it mostly on looks.

eastwoodassnow.jpg

Clint Eastwood as Elijah Snow - Snow is an old bastard. He's at least 100. Clint Eastwood is also an old bastard. He's probably at least 200. Planetary #1 starts with Snow in a diner in the Middle of Nowhere, Wild Wild West. I would love to see Eastwood dressed all in white wandering through the endless desert. It would be a brilliant homage to the western genre. They're both old, cold bastards and they're both going to kick your ***.

jovovichaswagner.jpg

Milla Jovovich as Jakita Wagner - Okay, I know she's always cast for the German/Russian chick that needs to kick ***, but it's probably because that's what she excels at. To tell the truth, this was the one I was stumped on. Nobody came to mind. Obviously I wanted a foreign actress that was good at action, and because of my lack of knowledge of hot German *** kickers (there should be a class for this) I immediately thought of Jovovich. I think she could do it.

lillardasdrummer.jpg

Matthew Lillard as The Drummer - The Drummer is awesome. He is the ultimate nerd. When I look at Lillard, I think the same thing. I think if you got Lillard to grow his hair longer Shaggy-style, you'd have The Drummer. I was telling TOG about how I thought Colin was too old for the role, and I've just found out that Lillard is 6 years older. This is the only con I have with this choice, as I'm sure The Drummer is only supposed to be around mid 20's. It's a good thing we have CGI though, huh? Also, give me a few years to get some decent nerd-cred, grow my hair and get stoned a couple of times, and I'll play The Drummer.

lillardasdrummer.jpg

Matthew Lillard as The Drummer - The Drummer is awesome. He is the ultimate nerd. When I look at Lillard, I think the same thing. I think if you got Lillard to grow his hair longer Shaggy-style, you'd have The Drummer. I was telling TOG about how I thought Colin was too old for the role, and I've just found out that Lillard is 6 years older. This is the only con I have with this choice, as I'm sure The Drummer is only supposed to be around mid 20's. It's a good thing we have CGI though, huh? Also, give me a few years to get some decent nerd-cred, grow my hair and get stoned a couple of times, and I'll play The Drummer.
Even better than Tog's!

Bonus points to TOG for Kate Beckinsale - soooooo hot.

And to Proj - pretty cool idea using Matthew Lillard.

Both casts just made my jaw drop.

These are awesome casts.

Additionally, Tog's casting of the Four - Timothy Olyphant and Hugo Weaving? It's absolutely perfect.

Wow guys.

Hurm. I wish I wasn't so busy these days, I keep wanting to do a round, but not having time before it ends...

I have some ideas, but we'll see what happens.

Sorry if this is off-topic (I don't post in Dreamcast threads all that often, so I'm not sure where the better thread would be) but has anyone done a Bone Dreamcast? 'Cuz that could potentially be very awesome.

Again, sorry for being OT.

I was thinking that if I were doing a BONE movie, I'd change the name of Fone Bone or Phoney Bone to something else.

On paper, they don't get mixed up, but on screen, "Fone" and "Phoney" are too similar sounding and could be a little confusing.

Arg! I don't think I can compete in this round. i've been meaning to read some new non DC Marvel books and Planetary was at the top of that list. Do you all suggest I get this or Authority? I would read the Wiki entries but I don't want to get spoiled. See you next round.

Arg! I don't think I can compete in this round. i've been meaning to read some new non DC Marvel books and Planetary was at the top of that list. Do you all suggest I get this or Authority? I would read the Wiki entries but I don't want to get spoiled. See you next round.
Authority's great. Planetary's better.

****IN' AWESOME!!

I can't wait to do this one.

So many ideas already...
YES!

I mean, I have no starting ideas, but STILL.

Also, please NO SPOILERS. I've only read the first three trades.
OHMIGOD, ME TOO!!
I say Authority.

Ah thanks.

The AUTHORITY stories by Warren Ellis/Bryan Hitch and Mark Millar/Frank Quitely/Various are the best ones. After that, I'd go back and read Ellis' STORMWATCH as it's got some good moments, and then AUTHORITY: REVOLUTION by Brubaker, which is also pretty good. But you can dive right into AUTHORITY without STORMWATCH (it's lead up).

PLANETARY is just PLANETARY. It's awesome, more episodic... they're both really good.

I'd go with PLANETARY.

Latest posts

Back