Dreamcasting # 27: The Malibu Ultraverse

This is cool in that it forces you to think differently.

With people exploding into sludge and reincarnated transvestites, I'm thinking of casting in the dark action/comedy route.

PROTOTYPE - What if Iron Man was 19 years old, and working for the man? When Jimmy Ruiz won his most challenging gaming championship, little did he know that he'd get his biggest prize ever... in the form of a nigh-invincible suit of cybernetically enhanced power armor! Now he's struck a deal with UltraTech Corporation to be their field test operative AND their corporate spokesmodel. But what fun is a super-suit if you've got execs watching not just the bottom line, but your every move?

PLUG - Michael Rafani grew up under the difficult pressures of parents who believed that a child must earn their love before they are to deserve it. To seek solace, he turned online to seek approval from BBSs, newsgroups and IRC. But when he discovered that as a technopath he could communicate LITERALLY through electronics, he gathered together a misfit band of other ultrahuman rejects known as The Freex.

For those of you who do decide to man up and do this....I know Ourchair was missing a link for these 2 guys.....but I found one.

So here:

Prototype

Plug....not so much.

Also...I've already got 85% of the cast already picked out in preliminary casting.

Last edited:
Question, do you want a Movie or a TV Series out of this?

I think I'm going to lean towards TV Actors and a TV Series if that is okay.

Considering the fact that most of these characters are a poor man's version of some WildCATs characters, I would think a TV series would be best suited.

At least that's what I'm going with.

TV casts seem to be more believable since you have ensembles that need to mesh well as opposed to who the biggest star is at the moment.

Willverine said:
WOW The Ultraverse. You are a brave, brave soul ourchair. I tip my hat to you.
Why, thank you.

I've been wanting to do this for ages, but I was too scared. I was also holding out on the insane hope that someone else would do it, but clearly I was deluded.

Question, do you want a Movie or a TV Series out of this?

I think I'm going to lean towards TV Actors and a TV Series if that is okay.
Because of the relatively obscure nature of the property, you are free to interpret this in any way it makes you comfortable.

If you want it to be Sci-Fi Channel miniseries, do it. If you want it to be a Heroes type serial TV program, do it. If you want it to be a very teen-to-adults animated series, do it.

And for the record, the rules of Dreamcasting are such that declaring what medium the moderator wants is OPTIONAL. Declare the medium if you want to limit it, don't if you don't want to.

When I helped refine the rules the intent was that if the moderator DOESN'T say what medium, then you should be free to do whatever you want, it just so happens that most people have interpreted it as a feature film.
Victor Von Doom said:
The provided descriptions of the character are more than enough to select actors capable enough of handling the caped persona. If you're not doing a cast due to lack of interest, well that's one thing. But to not do a cast just based off unfamiliarity, well.............
Doom has hit the nail right on the head.

The way I view an unfamiliar property is that it's like developing a property based on a loosely defined concept, like say making up stuff from a prototype. Look at Blade. Blade was NOTHING until the movie snazzed up the base concept.

Willverine said:
I think I have a box of Ultraverse books sitting around somewhere... this may convince me to re-read them. As I recall, you're on the money saying the art was crap but the concepts were sound.
bluebeast said:
I don't know. WildCATS kind of 90'd me out of things.
I HATE the 90s. Which is why it interests me to ask people to put some spit and polish on these things.

The 90s is where the crazy stupid ideas were born. All executed with a skill that ranges from terrible to unremarkable, but a gigantic petri dish of inventiveness otherwise.

Look at Savage Dragon, which is essentially a 70s fight comic with an adult writing sensibility. Wetworks was a belt-and-pouches superteam that fights werewolves and vampires while wearing metallic symbiotes. Gen 13 was basically a Scooby Doo like team of superhumans with all the T&A of a 60s sci-fi film.

I remember watching some sort of Ultraverse cartoon back in the 90s. I remember it not being horrible.

This has no impact on the thread at all.

Same here, but I don't remember it well, I always thought of it as a rip off of the X-men. But I'd like to see where people take this

People wanted us to do this so here it is , I've not read it so this will probably suck.

Earth-93060​
(I think it's sounds cooler for a title)

HARDCASE -Bruce Campbell – The idea of him been a struggling actor who gets powers could be very awesome with Bruce Campbell playing him.

Kevin Green – Angus T. Jones – I like this kid and I know he can play a no body "every-kid" and would NOT be someone you would expect to turn in to Prime

PRIME – Dwayne Johnson – I would imagine a kid turning in to some muscle bound hero would have an element of cockiness to him. The Rock does just that as well as been a pretty damn cool action star.

MANTRA – Eliza Dushku
– It's a mn trapped in a woman's body. You need a tough woman for that BUT the character should be attractive. Eliza Dushku is perfect for the part based on the descriptions.

PROTOTYPE – Tom Welling – The reason he has experience playing the superhero who discovers his power. Might be very wrong or just type casting but I'll stick with it.

FIREARM – Daniel Craig – Who better to play an ex-British secret serves man than James bond? He's a pretty good actor too which is a plus.

PLUG – Ryan Phillippe – The character seems if he can figure out electronics to use his powers he must be genius. As well as that based on background he needs to be a bit dark. Ryan Phillippe can play both of those and so he is my Plug.

RAFFERTY: James Remar – I like this actor and from the sounds of it he could play the part pretty well. Yes he's a little old but I think that adds something to the character.

don't worry, langsta, i got you covered:

Hardcase: James Purefoy
Prime: James Purefoy
Mantra: RuPaul (surprised you there, didn't I?)

...o wait, RuPaul is black. damn. o well it stays.

Prototype: James Purefoy
Firearm: James Purefoy
Plug: James McAvoy
Rafferty: James Purefoy
Any other girls in the movie: Mary Elizabeth Winstead

also, I do this in jest, please dont be upset.

They have one hope.

One hope lies within certain people.

Those people were blessed by The Entity.

The Entity that dwells in within The Ultraverse.

A Sci Fi Miniseries in three parts…
Hardcase will be portrayed by Colin Ferguson who also stars in the Sci Fi series Eureka. In my version of the story, Colin would be suited for this part.

Kevin Green will be portrayed by Erik Per Sullivan, the lovable younger brother on Malcolm in the Middle. I feel Erik can have the innocence that is Prime's inner being.

When Kevin Transforms, he becomes Prime, who will be played by George Eads. George would need to work on the innocence factor, but has the physique that could pull off a good Prime.

Christopher Eccleston will be Firearms, the former British Secret Agent and private investigator with a kick *** gun. He recently had a guest stint on Heroes, and was the Ninth incarnation of the Doctor.

The warrior in the female body Mantra, will be played by Marsha Thompson of Las Vegas and Lost fame. She has the warrior spirit about her in my opinion, and an accent that melts me.

Choice, the young Ultra who melts the heart of the veteran Hardcase, will be played by Missy Peregrym who is on the current Reaper show on CW.

Prototype is rarely seen without the uniform, but when he is, it will be the actor Nicholas Gonzalez .that portrays him. Nicholas is known for his work on the OC, and his guest stints on Grey Anatomy and Ugly Betty.

I envision my Plug as a person with a superiority complex, to the point where he hardly sees himself as human anymore. I figure the actor John Simm will best embody this. He is best known for his work as The Master on the Newest incarnation of the Doctor Who series.

Rafferty, a former US Agent, will be represented by, Paul Blackthrone, who plays Harry Dresden on the Dresden Files.

The big villain, Edwin Mosley, will be played by the actor Bryan Cranston, the father on Malcolm in the Middle, has done lots of serious movies in his lifetime, and will fit the position of a Big Bad.

Plotline

First off we see a battered Firearm, walking away from a complex as it explodes. He calls, and tells his employers he's done with the business. He is holding a high tech gun in his hand, and walks off, leaving the Walkie in the ground. A darkened figure to the side nods to Firearm, telling him that they wanted him to die along with the Ultras. Behind them, a spot on the moon glows bright, and this triggers the opening credits.

YEARS LATER

Begins with Hardcase and the rest of the Squad, fighting off villains, dastardly villains. One of the Squad notices a bomb in the building, it explodes, and Hardcase is the last one. This is actually a TV program, and Kevin is watching it. He runs outside, and goes to school.

A mercenary is seen, hiding behind a building, watching Kevin go to school. He pulls out a list, and smiles at it. He mentions this one will be easy, and follows Kevin. At school Kevin is going into the bathroom when Firearm pulls him aside. He has a worried look to his face, and keeps telling Kevin he needs to leave with him. He was hired by an outside source to find Kevin, and get him out of the school and to safety. They go down a corridor, when Rafferty, the merc from before, is there, smiling. He pulls out a gun, and Firearm pulls out his pistol, to which they begin to have a gunfight in the hallway. Firearm manages to escape with Kevin through a hole in the school wall, Rafferty being knocked out.

This begins a trek for the first part of the miniseries, where Kevin learns the existence of super powered beings, and where he learns that he is one of them. Firearm explains that Rafferty is hired by an Edwin Mosley, a delusional Ultra who wants to kill all other Ultras on the planet. They will encounter Rafferty one more time, near the end of the mini, where he will be accompanied by Prototype, who is also working for Edwin.

Once they survive this encounter, they meet Firearm's employer, Hardcase. Hardcase explains that after watching his entire team die in a blast years ago, he had saved Firearm from the same fate, and together they have been saving other Ultras from the grasp of Edwin. At the end of this explanation, Kevin realizes he truly wants to be a hero, and transforms, into Prime.

The second part we are introduced to Edwin Mosley, an angelic like being who believes he is doing good. Prototype, without his armor on, Rafferty and Plug are in the room as well. Edwin asks how the project known as Entity is going. After some more cryptic phrases, we are thrusted back Prime and Hardcase's story.

Some training exercises and we learn the extent of Prime's powers and set backs, like how he has to turn back into Kevin after a set amount of time. Firearm shows up with info about another Ultra being targeted by Edwin.

Here we meet Choice, as she is being attacked by Prototype. Hardcase and Prime rush to the rescue and save her. Here they learn about a plan called Entity, and Firearm heads out for more intel on it. The three Ultras together are prime targets for Rafferty, who attacks a third time.

Firearm, instead of finding out information on Entity, runs into Mantra. The two of them talk, and Mantra uses a phrase that reminds Firearm of one of his old warbuddies. The story of Mantra is not told in this mini, leaving it open ended for future minis, or even an ongoing TV Series featuring everyone. The two of them look for info on Entity. They get attacked by Plug, and together they managed to escape him.

Rafferty continues his assault, using a variety of tatics and subterfuge to gain an upperhand in the battle. Once Prime is forced to depower, he targets Kevin for an attack, which Hardcase blocks, and puts the veteran superhero into a coma. Rafferty leaves after be beaten off by Choice. Second saga ends.

The third one begins with Prime, Mantra, Choice and Firearms finding out that Entity is a downed spaceship on the moon that is what is responsible for giving certain people powers, making them Ultras. They also learn that if Entity is destroyed, the resulting destruction will devastate the world. They find out Entity is leaving for the moon to destroy the ship, Prime and Choice hitch a ride on the spaceship to the Moon. They will fight Prototype and Edwin.

It ends with a climatic battle over the Entity, an alien spaceship that gives people powers, Prototype turns on Edwin, revealing himself to be a member of the Aladdin group for the American government, and helps the heroes overthrow him. It ends with Kevin, going back to school the next day, and the cute girl sitting next to him mentioning that Prime is uber hot.

The End

Last edited:
What the **** is this?

don't worry, langsta, i got you covered:

Hardcase: James Purefoy
Prime: James Purefoy
Mantra: RuPaul (surprised you there, didn't I?)

...o wait, RuPaul is black. damn. o well it stays.

Prototype: James Purefoy
Firearm: James Purefoy
Plug: James McAvoy
Rafferty: James Purefoy
Any other girls in the movie: Mary Elizabeth Winstead

also, I do this in jest, please dont be upset.

I hardly ever cast Mary Elizabeth Winstead. And I've probably only cast James McAvoy in one other role other than Luke Skywalker. And people usually get mad at me because I criticize THEM for switching character races.

And seriously, you've been carrying this on for two threads now. Give it a rest, you got your ****ing Ourchair points, now move the **** on.

Last edited:
They have one hope.

One hope lies within certain people.

Those people were blessed by The Entity.

The Entity that dwells in within The Ultraverse.

A Sci Fi Miniseries in three parts…
Hardcase will be portrayed by Colin Ferguson who also stars in the Sci Fi series Eureka. In my version of the story, Colin would be suited for this part.

Kevin Green will be portrayed by Erik Per Sullivan, the lovable younger brother on Malcolm in the Middle. I feel Erik can have the innocence that is Prime's inner being.

When Kevin Transforms, he becomes Prime, who will be played by George Eads. George would need to work on the innocence factor, but has the physique that could pull off a good Prime.

Christopher Eccleston will be Firearms, the former British Secret Agent and private investigator with a kick *** gun. He recently had a guest stint on Heroes, and was the Ninth incarnation of the Doctor.

The warrior in the female body Mantra, will be played by Marsha Thompson of Las Vegas and Lost fame. She has the warrior spirit about her in my opinion, and an accent that melts me.

Choice, the young Ultra who melts the heart of the veteran Hardcase, will be played by Missy Peregrym who is on the current Reaper show on CW.

Prototype is rarely seen without the uniform, but when he is, it will be the actor Nicholas Gonzalez .that portrays him. Nicholas is known for his work on the OC, and his guest stints on Grey Anatomy and Ugly Betty.

I envision my Plug as a person with a superiority complex, to the point where he hardly sees himself as human anymore. I figure the actor John Simm will best embody this. He is best known for his work as The Master on the Newest incarnation of the Doctor Who series.

Rafferty, a former US Agent, will be represented by, Paul Blackthrone, who plays Harry Dresden on the Dresden Files.

The big villain, Edwin Mosley, will be played by the actor Bryan Cranston, the father on Malcolm in the Middle, has done lots of serious movies in his lifetime, and will fit the position of a Big Bad.

Plotline

First off we see a battered Firearm, walking away from a complex as it explodes. He calls, and tells his employers he's done with the business. He is holding a high tech gun in his hand, and walks off, leaving the Walkie in the ground. A darkened figure to the side nods to Firearm, telling him that they wanted him to die along with the Ultras. Behind them, a spot on the moon glows bright, and this triggers the opening credits.

YEARS LATER

Begins with Hardcase and the rest of the Squad, fighting off villains, dastardly villains. One of the Squad notices a bomb in the building, it explodes, and Hardcase is the last one. This is actually a TV program, and Kevin is watching it. He runs outside, and goes to school.

A mercenary is seen, hiding behind a building, watching Kevin go to school. He pulls out a list, and smiles at it. He mentions this one will be easy, and follows Kevin. At school Kevin is going into the bathroom when Firearm pulls him aside. He has a worried look to his face, and keeps telling Kevin he needs to leave with him. He was hired by an outside source to find Kevin, and get him out of the school and to safety. They go down a corridor, when Rafferty, the merc from before, is there, smiling. He pulls out a gun, and Firearm pulls out his pistol, to which they begin to have a gunfight in the hallway. Firearm manages to escape with Kevin through a hole in the school wall, Rafferty being knocked out.

This begins a trek for the first part of the miniseries, where Kevin learns the existence of super powered beings, and where he learns that he is one of them. Firearm explains that Rafferty is hired by an Edwin Mosley, a delusional Ultra who wants to kill all other Ultras on the planet. They will encounter Rafferty one more time, near the end of the mini, where he will be accompanied by Prototype, who is also working for Edwin.

Once they survive this encounter, they meet Firearm's employer, Hardcase. Hardcase explains that after watching his entire team die in a blast years ago, he had saved Firearm from the same fate, and together they have been saving other Ultras from the grasp of Edwin. At the end of this explanation, Kevin realizes he truly wants to be a hero, and transforms, into Prime.

The second part we are introduced to Edwin Mosley, an angelic like being who believes he is doing good. Prototype, without his armor on, Rafferty and Plug are in the room as well. Edwin asks how the project known as Entity is going. After some more cryptic phrases, we are thrusted back Prime and Hardcase's story.

Some training exercises and we learn the extent of Prime's powers and set backs, like how he has to turn back into Kevin after a set amount of time. Firearm shows up with info about another Ultra being targeted by Edwin.

Here we meet Choice, as she is being attacked by Prototype. Hardcase and Prime rush to the rescue and save her. Here they learn about a plan called Entity, and Firearm heads out for more intel on it. The three Ultras together are prime targets for Rafferty, who attacks a third time.

Firearm, instead of finding out information on Entity, runs into Mantra. The two of them talk, and Mantra uses a phrase that reminds Firearm of one of his old warbuddies. The story of Mantra is not told in this mini, leaving it open ended for future minis, or even an ongoing TV Series featuring everyone. The two of them look for info on Entity. They get attacked by Plug, and together they managed to escape him.

Rafferty continues his assault, using a variety of tatics and subterfuge to gain an upperhand in the battle. Once Prime is forced to depower, he targets Kevin for an attack, which Hardcase blocks, and puts the veteran superhero into a coma. Rafferty leaves after be beaten off by Choice. Second saga ends.

The third one begins with Prime, Mantra, Choice and Firearms finding out that Entity is a downed spaceship on the moon that is what is responsible for giving certain people powers, making them Ultras. They also learn that if Entity is destroyed, the resulting destruction will devastate the world. They find out Entity is leaving for the moon to destroy the ship, Prime and Choice hitch a ride on the spaceship to the Moon. They will fight Prototype and Edwin.

It ends with a climatic battle over the Entity, an alien spaceship that gives people powers, Prototype turns on Edwin, revealing himself to be a member of the Aladdin group for the American government, and helps the heroes overthrow him. It ends with Kevin, going back to school the next day, and the cute girl sitting next to him mentioning that Prime is uber hot.

The End

Way to make a dumb concept great Houde. And stop making Langsta cry guys. I mean it's one thing to make fun of MacAvoy, but leave Purfoy out of this.

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 13 seconds.

Damnit!

What the **** is this?

I hardly ever cast Mary Elizabeth Winstead. And I've probably only cast James McAvoy in one other role other than Luke Skywalker. And people usually get mad at me because I criticize THEM for switching character races.

And seriously, you've been carrying this on for two threads now. Give it a rest, you got your ****ing Ourchair points, now move the **** on.

jesus man, flip out.
it's not about any ourchair points first of all, second of all, it was just a joke, not a personal attack, third of all, it IS funny that you cast purefoy all the time (and you do), fourth of all take a joke, no one's gonna appreciate you unless you can laugh at yourself- take the constant "who are you?" comments i get from the likes of Mole (MOLE, for chrissakes! haha :lol:) and general lack of respect i get around here- we've all made it into a joke. lighten up, man.

also, you "casting rupaul" was supposed to be ironic. guess i messed that up.

in summary, chill out man! Life is too short to get angry so easily

Latest posts

Back