Dreamcasting # 27: The Malibu Ultraverse

I always give these things thought before I type them out. I use this things as exercises, to help out my writing and thought processes. Character mockups and plotlines are a defining point in any story, and using these dreamcasting as exercises have help me somewhat.

It's giving me more of a reason to continue Blairwood.

After much deliberation....I've decide to bow out this round.

I just can't come up with a decent enough cast worth presenting. I had a couple good choices for a few people....but in the end it wasn't worth putting out there.

I'm going for a bit of a dark-comedy vibe- an look at interpersonal interactions, in a mockumentary style like the Office, where interviews are conducted with the subjects listed. This would fit best as a TV series.

HARDCASE - Tom Hawke, a struggling actor who suddenly receives a Jumpstart effect that gives him an ultra-strong hardbody that works not just on the screen, but on the streets as well! For a brief time in the late 80s, he becomes part of a vigilante trio known as The Squad, but when his team-mates are killed, he retires from heroism. Now he sticks to playing a hero on screen, while dating Choice, the fabulous supermodel and commercial representative of Choice Corporation.
I see him as being a soap opera star, who, when off camera, sits back in his trailer and smokes cigarette after cigarette, mixing booze and weed in there. He was once a superhero, but now he's just a washed out TV bum who is almost too old to be on such a popular soap. He always has a look of disgust on his face. Clive Owen will pull this off. He also has the ability to be funny as seen in Sin City and Shoot Em Up, so he fits well. He is very attracted to the young Choice.
clive_owen_99.jpg

PRIME** - Kevin Green, a 13-year old nobody kid can explode into a pile of slime that transforms him into the strongest ultrahuman alive. How can he impress his high-school crush with his fabulous new bod, without coming across like a pedo stalker? Now, this Modern age Captain Marvel turns his attention to drug dealers, pimps and child molesters all while confronting the darkness of an adult world he may not be prepared for!! ( A promotional comic short, explaining Prime, you can also read much of Prime here, albeit in black and white )
mclovin-2.JPG
we may make the kid a bit older to fit with McLovin himself, Christopher Mintz-Plasse or however it's spelled. He could bring the comedic, nerdy touch to Kevin Green and when he sees a video of him exploding before he turns into Prime, he gets disgusted. His squeaky voice adds to the comedy. When he turns into Prime, Ashton Kutcher
Ashton_Kutcher.jpg

plays him with smarmy, eyebrow-raised, cheesy smile glee- played with so MUCH cheese, that we aren't sure which is more appealing. I was considering George Clooney, if we were to make Prime older, but Ashton fits the bill.

MANTRA - The sexiest sorceress on the ultrahuman scene is not a SHE... but a HE! Lukasz spent 1500 years being reincarnated into the bodies of different men in a war against the evil wizard Boneyard, until he died for the last time. Now, his patron Archimage says the war is lost and has played his last card to reincarnate Lukasz... as a WOMAN! Now he must abandon his swords and shields and learn to master sorcery and spellcraft... and learn to be Eden Blake, a divorced mother of two in quiet little Canoga Park! ( A very comprehensive Mantra fan site, featuring well written info about her and the Ultraverse )
I ran a search for androgenous actress. Katherine Moennig, of the TV show the L Word, came up.
0000036784_20070105172930.jpg

this would probably typecast her, but she looks as if she could play the part.

PROTOTYPE - What if Iron Man was 19 years old, and working for the man? When Jimmy Ruiz won his most challenging gaming championship, little did he know that he'd get his biggest prize ever... in the form of a nigh-invincible suit of cybernetically enhanced power armor! Now he's struck a deal with UltraTech Corporation to be their field test operative AND their corporate spokesmodel. But what fun is a super-suit if you've got execs watching not just the bottom line, but your every move?
For this role you simply need a kid who is thrust into all this crap because he liked playing some video games. It was between Frankie Muniz and Michael Cera for me, and I went with Michael Cera,
485px-Michael_Cera_-_001.jpg

because I feel he can pull off that wide eyed amazement with whatever's going on, the stupor of silence when confronted by the media that I imagine this kid having, and I can also see him jumping in a suit and basically controlling it as if it were a VR video game, then realizing he just shot a rocket at a real human, then walking the metal suit up to check and see if the guy is alright. And then being reluctant to get back in the suit, but then being forced to do so, and then eventually turning the suit on the corporation. i dont know, im making this up.

FIREARM - Alec Swan was a British operative with The Lodge working to take down rogue ultrahumans when he discovered that Aladdin, the American agency, was working to control the ultrahuman phenomenon. After one last mission, he retired to become a private investigator in Pasadena. But no matter where he goes and what case he takes: the extraordinary is under every stone, the fantastic always follows, and there's an ultra around every corner.
Jason Statham. Come on, is there anyone else? Great action star, looks awesome with guns, and hilarious, sardonic wit.
war_still3.jpg

PLUG - Michael Rafani grew up under the difficult pressures of parents who believed that a child must earn their love before they are to deserve it. To seek solace, he turned online to seek approval from BBSs, newsgroups and IRC. But when he discovered that as a technopath he could communicate LITERALLY through electronics, he gathered together a misfit band of other ultrahuman rejects known as The Freex.
Well, I HAD justin long, and there was no question, but then i remembered emile hirsch in the girl next door (which has timothy olyphant too), and i realized he could play this kinda nerdy team frontman. so emile hirsch.
2258813_10.jpg

RAFFERTY: He was the perfect soldier... until the day he decided to kill all Ultras. Employed by The Sportsmen, an ultra-human secret society whose members use their powers to establish themselves as the ruling elite class, Rafferty is on a mission to hunt down all ultra-humans. He does it with the utmost of skill. He does it without guns. He does it for the thrill. But more important to the Sportsmen, he makes sure that the ultra-human phenomenon remains special.
Kinda smarmy, but still dangerous, Timothy Oliphant would fill the role.
2004_The_Girl_Next_Door_367.jpg

Also:

Choice: Megan Fox. She'll play off Clive Owen well, I think.
421356489_d42aad756b.jpg

so basically, It'll be like a funny Heroes. That's all.

since ourchair requested it. didnt put much thought into it but there you go

Last edited:
I see him as being a soap opera star, who, when off camera, sits back in his trailer and smokes cigarette after cigarette, mixing booze and weed in their. He was once a superhero, but now he's just a washed out TV bum who is almost too old to be on such a popular soap. He always has a look of disgust on his face. Clive Owen will pull this off. He also has the ability to be funny as seen in Sin City and Shoot Em Up, so he fits well. He is very attracted to the young Choice.
clive_owen_99.jpg
This concept is pure awesome, and having Clive Owen play it is even better.

marvelman said:
Jason Statham. Come on, is there anyone else? Great action star, looks awesome with guns, and hilarious, sardonic wit.
war_still3.jpg
Not exactly the Firearm I know, but Statham plays such a specific kind of non-American action hero in all his films that I like it already. I see Statham-as-Firearm to be not unlike his character from the Transporter series. A guy who seems to not really enjoy being a bad-*** but does it because he always manages to get stuck in situations that require to be such a bad-***, much to his chagrin.

marvelman said:
Justin Long.
breakup05220630.jpg

again, no question for me.
A little obvious, but as far as the original Plug goes, it's a decent fit.

marvelman said:
Choice: Megan Fox. She'll play off Clive Owen well, I think.
421356489_d42aad756b.jpg
That's a great choice, and I say that as someone who hasn't really been impressed by Megan Fox.

It's a good effort in the time you took to put it together. Cheers, mate. :D

Not exactly the Firearm I know, but Statham plays such a specific kind of non-American action hero in all his films that I like it already. I see Statham-as-Firearm to be not unlike his character from the Transporter series. A guy who seems to not really enjoy being a bad-*** but does it because he always manages to get stuck in situations that require to be such a bad-***, much to his chagrin.

exactly.

and the cast is designed around guys who can fit the mockumentary setting- they have to be able to look into the camera and just say something off-the-walls funny, and then turn around and be an action star.

and i picked olyphant based off his role in the girl next door, as he has a scary intensity in that movie. in fact, emile hirsch would also make a good plug... in fact, im gonna change it.

Last edited:
A surprising turn of events that would probably surprise Marvelman himself...

MARVELMAN wins!

hot damn.

i am currently without a computer though (using someone else's briefly)

so if you guys are willing to wait til monday, i should be able to do it then (compys getting repaired again) otherwise, second most votes has it... so monday then?

hot damn.

i am currently without a computer though (using someone else's briefly)

so if you guys are willing to wait til monday, i should be able to do it then (compys getting repaired again) otherwise, second most votes has it... so monday then?
All you need is an idea and 4-9 character roles.

Just magick one up either today or on any free five minutes you have on someone else's computer and you don't need to worry about it until the voting day comes.

Latest posts

Back