Dreamcasting #28: The Walking Dead

So the round a bunch of people have been asking for has come down to DSF and me?

Ok.

Remember people...this round ends tomorrow.

Anyways...onto my cast!

The Walking Dead​
Only on FX!​

This is NOT a live action cast. Instead it's a graphic animated cartoon for adults. The art style would be in the same fashion of first TPB artist Tony Moore. The show could accomplish so much more with the animated style and I think it'd be a nice change from all the recent live-action zombie movies. The following casting choices are all celebrity voice-acting choices (Ourchair's gonna hate this...).

But just to drive home these choices....read these picks...then go back and read Vol.1 using the voices I've provided. You'll see I'm right.

Now suck on this awesomeness!

Season 1 – Days Gone By/Miles Behind Us

RickMatthew Fox – There's something about Matthew Fox's voice that emits the perfect inflection of confidence and naiveté that's need for former small town sheriff Rick. Fox can command attention when he needs to, but overall there's a softness to him that makes him try to see the best in everyone. And it's that balance that can bring Rick to life.

ShaneDean Cain—Shane is a stand-up guy…but a lousy friend but mere circumstances. I think Cain can walk that fine line between good guy and complete psycho. Shane wasn't really a bad guy. He just happened to develop feelings for his friend's wife under a severely traumatic event. It wasn't until Rick showed up and dethroned Shane as alpha male that Shane started showing his teeth. As made apparent by his Lois and Clark stint, Dean can be the good guy…but his evil turn in Out Of Time and Smallville guest spot makes me think he'd work great as Shane.

MorganTerrence Howard—Morgan's a small role…but an important one. He's the first person Rick meets after the coma. Keyword is person. There were zombies…but at the time, Morgan is the embodiment of remaining humanity in the world. Who better to play this humble yet powerful role than a guest spot from the great Terrence Howard?

GlennDante Basco—Looky looky…I got Hooky. Seriously---DSF nailed this choice. His voice provides the right mixture between street smart and inexperienced 20something college dropout.

LoriPaula Marshall—Apparently Lori is the hottest thing walking. Everyone wants to get with her. And for this you need someone who is strong, smart, tough and yet vulnerable. A bit actor for most of her career, Marshall has had experience in playing a variety of roles. So the important yet actually minor role of Lori would be best suited on someone like Marshall who has a "down to Earth" quality about her.

AllenRichard Karn—Dude…seriously? Look at him! Plus his voice just sounds like the Midwestern dad next door.

DaleGerald McRaney—Go watch Jericho and tell me McRaney isn't perfect for the hardened old man of this small community. I thought he was done after Major Dad…but Jericho made me remember why he was so great. I think a key role like this would spotlight his distinct rugged voice.

DonnaCamryn Manheim—Meh. I'm not too keen on this choice…but I really can't think of anyone else. Hooray for typecasting.

JimJim Varney—I view Jim as the brief amount of comedic relief this title has. I'm picturing Jim sitting around the campfire and eating pork-n-beans out a can. And every time he speaks, it's something redneckish. Much like his character in Disney's Atlantis.

CarolAli Larter—Carol is stuck between minor and major character. She's the down-on-her-luck, single mom. Kinda like Larter's character on Heroes. Plus, there's a distinct baritone inflection to Larter's voice that makes her seem older than she actually is. I think she'd be a good fit for Carol.

Amy Ellen Page —I'm gonna go out on a limb here and cast Page in this minor role. There's nothing too key to this casting. I wanted a young girl's voice but I needed the right amount of maturity to it. I'm so seeing Juno Page here.

AndreaShannon Marie Woodward—There's something about Shannon's voice that I like. I wish I could describe why I think she'd be a good fit here…but I can't. She's great on FX's The Riches. Sorry.

TyreeseMalik Yoba—I see Tyreese much like I see Malik Yoba's character from New York Undercover. There's a sense of vulnerability behind all the masculinity. Sadly, Yoba hasn't stayed too busy since the mid-90s, so unless you remember his work from NYU…you might not get this choice.

JulieKyla Pratt—Julie is a spoiled little *****. There's no other way I can put that. And Kyla Pratt's voice is so annoying that I can't help but cast her here. And to add further shame to this choice….she has voice acting experience already! Ugh.

ChrisElijah Wood—I'm looking for annoying "Frodo Baggins" Wood here. The kind who isn't happy with anything. The kind who is so disappointed that the world hasn't given him what he thinks he's owed that he'd stoop as low to take his life just to spite everyone.

OtisJohnny Knoxville—Who else do you call when you need a country hick played?

PatriciaJamie Pressley—Who else do you call when you need a female country hick played?

HershellSam Elliott—The wise old religious farmer. How can anyone else say that Elliott isn't perfect for this? Seriously. You give me one REALLY good reason why this casting doesn't fit perfectly and I'll view my whole cast moot.

MaggieEliza Dushku—Hershell's feisty young daughter. When I think of feisty young women I think of Ellen Page. When I think of feisty young women who will later shave their head and rape you on a barber shop chair….I think Eliza. I really wanted to avoid the obligatory Whedon cast member…..but what are ya gonna do sometimes?

Season 2 – Safety Behind Bars/The Heart's Desire

DexterPhil Lamar—Lamar has this deep, huge voice that is perfect for filling the large role of inmate Dexter. I'm viewing his JLU Green Lantern…only more gritty.

AndrewWood Harris—Watch HBO's The Wire. There.

AxelWalter Goggins—I don't actually view Axel as inherently old. I just view him as a gruff biker who's been aged by years on the road and years in prison. Goggins has this innate southern drawl to his voice that perfectly matches what I envision Axel to be. Constantly complaining….but at the same time willing to tow the line in order to save his own ***.

ThomasTate Donovan—I don't think people actually realize how much of an accomplished actor Donovan is. I can totally see him playing the shy bookworm…but then exploding into a raging psychopath. His work on FX's Damages has been purely phenomenal.

MichonneKimberly Elise—She has this sweet, demure voice that demands to be heard. But at the same time there's always something stoic about her tone. If you watch Tyler Perry's Diary of a Mad Black Woman you'll see the kinda performance I'm talking about.

Season 3 – Best Defense/Sorrowful Life/The Calm Before

MartinezCheech Marin—Meh. I'm not too keen on this casting…but since it turns out Martinez is actually a douche…Marin is always playing a douche. But…with that said, Marin always has this swagger to his roles that makes him seem like less of a threat than he actually is. That small characteristic makes him perfect for the role of Martinez.

GovernorRobert Knepper—Who is the evilest prison bastard in recent history? T-Bag. Oooooo….you know his voice is just perfect.

Dr.StevensAdam West—The perfect opposite to The Governor. West would play this role with the small level of disgust I imagine he has when asked to say some old Batman line.

AliceSarah Chalke—If her character on Scrubs wasn't neurotic…she'd just be cynical. Ta-da!

Last edited:
One last plug for this round since it ends tonight.

In the meantime, feel free to admire my unique take and cast over DSF's. :p

I love how our casts have both Sawyer and Jack in the lead role, respectively.

Heh. My cast still wins though.

so round ends at midnight tonite (Eastern time... right now it's 5 here) so you have 7 hours from the time of this post to get your cast in. then voting begins

I mean, should I vote? If I vote I pretty much have to vote for VVDoom, I don't exactly have a choice here... But what is there to do?

don't vote. neither of you should vote. they'll cancel each other out. and if one of you votes, and the other doesn't, the other is a complete d-bag. so to prevent cancelation as WELL as d-baggery, don't vote

Not holding it to you guys but I'm hoping we have a mainstream round next.

I blame my lack of participation in these past several rounds on a busy personal life and genuine lack of inspiration.

I'm trying to get back in the spirit of things. There were a couple rounds that killed the momentum of the game IMO and I became distracted with personal dreamcasting projects. I've got like 7 properties cast and all of them are fairly independant/lesser read projects.

The 3 most mainstream ideas I've done recently have been Punisher MAX, Thunderbolts and the new Thor. But there are only a handfull of people who read those. My mainstream has been cut in half since I stopped reading DC. The only real DC book I read now is Checkmate.

Everything else has been "lesser read" stuff like Ultra, The Boys, Black Summer, The Sword.

I voted for you.

rspkknckls.png

If he voted Doom is obviously who I voted for.

And I just looked at your cast.

I don't even think I seen it before.

My bad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back