Dreamcasting # 3: Watchmen

ourchair

Okay, I feel like the reason why this game isn't really taking off is because there isn't really a formula to it, or a mechanic for 'winning'. So here's a new start to the game, using rules adapted from The Ultimization Game.

The rules are:

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

3) After two weeks, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. EDIT: Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round. And so the cycle continues.

The property for this round is:

WATCHMEN

You must cast:
Doctor Manhattan/Jon Osterman
Edward Blake/The Comedian
Walter Kovacs/Rorschach
Jane Juspeczyk/Silk Spectre II
Daniel Dreiberg/Nite Owl II
Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias

The date today is March 15, 2007 - 2 a.m. Greenwich Mean Time.
Round ends March 29, 2007 - 2. a.m. Greenwich Mean Time.

Last edited:
I just put the first actors that came to my head (most of them stolen from others' suggestions) and I don't really have a reason for them to be in that role, except that I think they could play that character well.

Doctor Manhattan - Eric Bana (Maybe... I can hear his voice as Jon, but I can't see him being a big naked blue guy. Maybe he'd have to provide the voice and the character would be all CGI.)
The Comedian - Mickey Rourke (I really like this choice. I can hear him speaking The Comedian's lines perfectly and with a similar attitude.)
Rorschach - Jude Law (I thought it would be best if a nobody played this role, until I saw the Wiki page and found out Jude Law was interested in playing the role... I think he'd be very good at it. I think they should have whoever plays Rorschach not be listed in the opening credits, so when Rorschach is finally revealed, you get a good shock, just like John Doe in Se7en.
Silk Spectre II - Jennifer Connelly (I'm not actually sure about this one.)
Nite Owl II - Alfred Molina (I'm not sure about this one either. I like picturing him, but I don't think he's the right guy.)
Ozymandias - Val Kilmer (DSF suggested this and I think it's very good.)

i could see tom seleck as dr. manhatten. He's tall and somewhat of a regular build. I could see a complete transformation of him (especially by shaving him) after seeing how they did Xerxes. the actor looks nothing like that in real life. face wise, i mean. also seleck kinda has that dull monotone seeming voice that i picture manhatten having.

i like X2's pic of comedian, after doing a wiki, i could see voice being him as well as the old tired vet look. i could see james ? as nite owl 1. damnit, he was in maverick and the notebook. the old guy. gordon? garner? garett? something like that.

actually as weird as it sounds, if his head was shaved into a buzz cut and he could take a serious role, I could definitely see carrot top as rorshach. he has the color hair, the ugly mug, the build...all he needs is to show the talent and i think the role would be sealed. if not him then ryan reynolds. i could see bana as a nite owl II.

Doctor Manhattan/Jon Osterman: Billy Zane. This was the hardest character to pick. I kind of just picked him for the look, but I think he can pull of cold and detatched. He really doesn't need that much emotion to pull of the Doc.

Edward Blake/The Comedian: Ron Perlman. Snyder thinks he'd be great as the Comedian and I think he has the build for it. He played a pretty big ******** in Blade 2 and I think he can bring some of the emotional scenes with Silk Spectre 2.

Walter Kovacs/Rorschach: Edward Norton. He's kind of a small guy and he's great at playing total psychos. Just use some make-up to make him look ugly as hell and he can bring the crazyness that comes with Rorscharch.

Jane Juspeczyk/Silk Spectre II: Lena Headey. After seeing her in 300 I have decided that she's a good enough actress to be convincing and she's cenrtainly good at fight sequences. She's also around the right age compared to the others.

Daniel Dreiberg/Nite Owl II: William H. Macy. Nightowl's the everyman. William H. Macy is perfect at portraying the kind of geeky guy with all of the other fantastic superheroes around him. I thought he was good in Mystery Men at least.

Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias: Aaron Eckhart. Eckhart can play a really likable sleezy guy (Thank You For Smoking). And you could beleve that he would kill hundreds for the greater good.

Last edited:
Doctor Manhattan/Jon Osterman - Someone with a great body, but who would also look good in scientist clothes... I don't agree with the other suggestions (we need somebody a bit more cold in attitude)

Edward Blake/The Comedian - Mickey Rourke is a little too old for the flashbacks, or he'd be a pretty damn good choice. I'm thinking Gerard Butler would do a damn good job.

Walter Kovacs/Rorschach - I'd be very cool with Edward Norton, as suggested, and I can't really think of anyone else. I think Norton has a street edge that Jude Law could never manage that would be essential for the role. Gary Oldman would also be a great fit...

Jane Juspeczyk/Silk Spectre II - Catherine Zeta-Jones... I don't know why, but I think it fits. She sort of has that air of superiority around her that I think is necessary for the role, and I think she'd have good chemistry with Cusack.

Daniel Dreiberg/Nite Owl II - John Cusack. I keep saying this and people keep looking at me like I'm bat**** crazy, but I think he's all kinds of perfect. **** william H. Macy, John Cusack -is- the everyman, and he has been since the eighties.

Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias - Val Kilmer. Period. He was born to play this role.

John Cusack, and Val Kilmer are perfect picks for those charcaters.

Edward Norton, I'm alittle scared of being in that role. Granted, I haven't seen him play a tough guy role before, so I'm not too sure.

John Cusack, and Val Kilmer are perfect picks for those charcaters.

Edward Norton, I'm alittle scared of being in that role. Granted, I haven't seen him play a tough guy role before, so I'm not too sure.

Ahem. Fight Club. He wasn't essentially a tough guy but he did kick ***. (including his own)

Ahem. Fight Club. He wasn't essentially a tough guy but he did kick ***. (including his own)

:shock: your going to banned. you broke the rule. You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB

That's why I put himself as Rorsach in the first place. Rorsach would shoot himself in the face to win a fight.

Doctor Manhattan/Jon Osterman- Gerard Butler
Edward Blake/The Comedian- Ron Perlman
Walter Kovacs/Rorschach- Ed Norton? IDK... probably an unknown... or that bald dude, with the glasses and goatee... whatsisname?
Jane Juspeczyk/Silk Spectre II- IDK for this one either... maybe Eric Bana's wife from Munich? EDIT- Jen Connely would also be good. EDIT again: Lena Heady would also be good.
Daniel Dreiberg/Nite Owl II- Kevin Costner EDIT- Al Molina would physically be a good choice as well.
Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias- Tom Cruise woulda been good... but I'ma gonna go with Val Kilmer. If he gets back in shape (he seemed heavier in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) EDIT: lol didnt realize PX2 had picked Val as well... niiiice.

Last edited:
marvelman said:
Daniel Dreiberg/Nite Owl II- Kevin Costner
Oh God, that's actually a really good idea. It's not the role that Costner would ordinarily pursue, but it feels like his presence and state of career are perfect for it.

Allow me to quote Fametracker:
Fametracker said:
To someone born in, say, 1980 or later, Kevin Costner is now probably less famous than Kevin Federline. Sure, you may recognize Costner from having seen him on the cover of Good Housekeeping or Redbook that one time, but you'd hardly think of him as mega-celebrity. He's more like your mom's ex-jock boyfriend from high school, whom she occasionally runs into at the grocery store, and they exchange a few pleasantries, and then as you walk away she sighs wistfully while you wonder what all the fuss was about.

But see, back about fifteen years ago, Costner wasn't just a movie star: he was the movie star. And we don't mean some media-made-up, famous-for-nothing star like they have these days, like Colin Farrell and Josh Hartnett. Costner was, for a fleeting moment, a bright and burning star, the very King of Hollywood. Costner could do it all. He'd go outside for a game of catch with the boys, then come inside and melt the ladies' hearts. He was handsome and rugged and just tanned enough.

Given all that, what happened to him in the mid-'90s was almost painfully predictable. After all, if you were Hollywood's top male star, and then you'd bet the farm on this crazy Civil War epic that was so long and so over-budget that people sneeringly nicknamed it Kevin's Gate before it even came out, and then it did come out, and it was not only hugely successful but won a bloody Oscar for Best Picture, what choice would you have but to make a sprawling, ill-considered, money-torching disaster? Just like Waterworld?

And then, after you'd been humiliated, and your movie had become a punchline, what else could you do but make another post-apocalyptic, three-plus-hour sci-fi epic, but one that rectified the one major mistake of your last film -- i.e., not focusing enough on the heroics of the U.S. Postal Service? And thus: The Postman. And thus endeth the career of Kevin Costner.

Or so it seemed. Every so often he'd show up in some obviously bad romantic comedy like Message in a Bottle or some transparent stab at recapturing his Bull Durham glory like For Love of the Game, or some transparent stab at recapturing his JFK glory like Thirteen Days, or some other movie that was just an out-and-out regrettable piece of ****, like 3000 Miles to Graceland. But for all intents and purposes, the Costner era had ended.

So when we heard that Open Range was kind of actually all right, we just shrugged it off. He can't possibly be back, we thought. He can't possibly reinvent himself. He can't possibly be anything in our minds ever again other than a big, soggy mail carrier with a thinning hairline, a thickening middle, and a bloated self-regard.

Well, lo and behold, look who's back, thin hair, thick middle, bloat, and all. With The Upside of Anger, Costner's reappeared in just the kind of role, in just the kind of movie, that he needs to be in right now: as a sodden, slightly depressing, but ultimately charming ex-jock, opposite Joan Allen. In other words, he's playing your mother's ex-boyfriend from high school! The guy who had it all, then got kind of sad and flabby and old, but who knows it, and can smile about it, and so retains a sliver of charm! He gets it! He finally gets it!

And in getting it, he's reminded us that, you know what, we actually found him damn charming way back when. And if Dennis Quaid can have a late career renaissance -- not to mention that thundering planet of cheese, John Travolta -- then why not Kevin Costner? Why not, we say?

We forgive you, soggy mail carrier! Come in from the rain, or, rather, from that entire world totally covered with water, where people live on rafts and wear feather earrings apparently stolen from Stevie Nicks.
And there you have it. Kevin Costner is a pretty darn good choice for Nite Owl. He's a guy whose life peaked two decades ago and now has to learn to develop the strength and confidence to get over it and live his life with dignity.

Last edited:
American History X. 'Nuff said.

Never saw it

Didn't like it

Saw the first hour, figured out Ed Norton and Brad Pitt were the same guy, got mad at the stupid film, and left the room.

From what I saw, he played a pansy.

Never saw it

Didn't like it

Saw the first hour, figured out Ed Norton and Brad Pitt were the same guy, got mad at the stupid film, and left the room.

From what I saw, he played a pansy.

He gets tough at the end of the movie.

Oh God, that's actually a really good idea. It's not the role that Costner would ordinarily pursue, but it feels like his presence and state of career are perfect for it.

Allow me to quote Fametracker:And there you have it. Kevin Costner is a pretty darn good choice for Nite Owl. He's a guy whose life peaked two decades ago and now has to learn to develop the strength and confidence to get over it and live his life with dignity.

Thank you.

I was just looking through my movie collection, saw Costner on the cover of Frequency, and was like, OMG that's brilliant.

Latest posts

Back