Dreamcasting #6 - NEXTWAVE!

...awkward silence...

...crickets chirping...

...tension lingers in the air...

Um, my cast rules?

Seriously, JTG's attacks on Doc Comic outside the boards warrant a permanent ban (go to NationStates, see for yourself). Doc Comic's bigoted attacks towards Skotti on and off the board should also warrent a permanent ban, and take the decision of whether he'll be back out of his hands. Forgive me for overstepping my bounds, but I feel something should be said, and not privately, because this is a situation where these people need to be made an example of. JTG is a provocateur, and he's always been and now I think he's finally crossed a serious line here in basically stalking a member he doesnt agree with. JTG is the textbook case of how NOT to handle board disagreements, and we've known that for ages and the fact that he's still around almost condones his behavior in the past and today. He's not going to grow up and make civilized arguments and we ALL know it.

In Doc Comic's case, its little comments on Nation States like "HA! Skotti voted me the Greatest UC Villain. It's because she has a penis. VOTE FOR DOC. GREATEST UC VILLAIN EVAR11!!!~!!!" that almost make JTG's actions understandable. He's shown himself to be a divisive prick of a member who is trying to build himself up by putting his peer down in a way that's insulting not only to Skotti, but to ALL of the members of this board who are just trying to have some reasonable conversations about Comic Books and the various things we care about. The second that sort of hate introduces itself on a board, or even on an extension of the board (the quoted section went on in the "Ultimate Central" region of Nation-States), the environment is prone to change, people try to take sides and resentment spreads. We joke and we prod at one another but to be such a ****ing ******* is absolutely unforgivable.

They are both being selfish little babies here, quoting myself from Nation-States.

Ban me if you need to, just don't delete the post.
We're looking at it.

Wah, game thread ruined by board drama.

We all know the solution to that:

NEXTWAVE!

Last edited:
dc-nextwave2.jpg

Clockwise from upper left: Chris Cooper, Gina Torres, Alec Newman, Kristen Bell, Lucas Black and Sienna Guillory.

Dirk Anger, Director of HATE - Let's face it: Everything that Dirk Anger is --- bulimic, misogynist, narcotically dependent, substance-addicted, sexually confused --- is a thinly veiled caricature of every single role that Academy Award-winner Chris Cooper has played in his life, most notably the self-hating closet homosexual Frank Fitts in American Beauty and the lecherous and alcoholic Dr. William Larson in Breast Men. Cooper has also honed the art of playing government agents, law enforcement grunts and military officers in films like The Bourne Identity, Jarhead and most recently, Breach. He styles these roles with the caustic smart-mouth of R. Lee Ermey, and has the haggard look of someone who has been ripped to the teats on the finest cocaine. Dirk Anger IS Chris Cooper.

Monica Rambeau, Ex-Avenger and Don't You Forget It - Standoff's Gina Torres is synonymous with genre-spanning diversity. She's been a frustrated upper-class housewife in 24, a stoic soldieress in Firefly, a pacifist megalomaniacal devourer demon in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and an ex-Soviet spy on Alias. With this resume, Torres has developed a resume more impressive than some actors twice her age and has every right to brag about it. This makes her well-suited to the role of Monica Rambeau, whose similarly diverse career has given her an excuse to be self-congratulatory and engage in excessive showboating and grants Torres the opportunity to channel her tough woman experience into one of ridiculous self-importance.

Aaron Stack, His Robot Brain Needs Beer - It's rather ironic that the most human of robots is a anti-fleshling bigot --- a backwards-minded twit inhabiting a body that is the epitome of the post-human future. To play this cybernetic hick, I'd put my money on The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift's Lucas Black. Between his performance in Tokyo Drift as Sean Boswell, and as Kruger in Jarhead, Black has got a good handle on the irresponsible machismo mixed with Alabama smugness that would play to good effect as Aaron Stack.

Elsa Bloodstone, Circumciser of Fiends - Okay, I'm sure she's trying to avoid typecasting but between all the generic female performances that Sienna Guillory has added to her resume in films like Eragon and Love Actually, I'm sure she's aware that her most universally recognized role is that of non-uniform police officer turned zombie slayer Jill Valentine in Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Guillory could earn greater popularity as an extremely humorous iteration of her RE character, when she plays Elsa Bloodstone --- a woman raised by handguns and demonic circumcision, nigh-invulnerable and deadly with a spoon.

Tabitha Smith, White Trash AND Mutant - While most people identify Kristen Bell with the spunky intelligence as Veronica Mars in the series of the same name, most people forget that as Neptune High's teenage sleuth is also an expert con. On a weekly basis, Bell displays her range by exhibiting a wide range of conmanship to solve cases, indicating her chameleon-like ability to play a variety of blonde archetypes. Bell has shown a willingness to play against type as a weed-liberated sexpot in Reefer Madness. But the role that most convinced me of her range is her guest appearance on The Shield where she played then girlfriend of a slain Latino gangleader. As Tabitha Smith, Bell would play not just any super-powered white trash, but super-powered white trash with stinking mutie taint. Oh, and kleptomaniac too.

The Captain, The Ubermensch That Nobody Likes - He was never America's Favorite Patriot, he was never favored by the Uni-Power, and he was never part of his own Saturday morning cartoon and toy franchise. With his generic set of superpowers, The Captain is basically another bland template for superhumanity. Essentially speaking, The Captain is the ubermensch that nobody liked. with his vaguely handsome yet simian-like features, Scottish thesp Alec Newman would be ideal to play The Captain, with his experience playing a villainously uncharismatic Augment in Star Trek: Enterprise and his portrayal of Paul Atreides, Muad'dib in two Dune miniseries as the unpopular messiah-king of Arrakis.

EXTRA: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (voice) as Fin Fang Foom, Angry Dragon Lizard Thing and John Rhys-Davies (voice) as Devil Dinosaur, Red But Not Communist.

Oooo......nice one.

I particularly love the Tabby Smith choice. Torres was one of my finalists in the casting selection....but I opted for another because I noticed my cast was becoming a bit too Whedon-heavy.

Oh yeah.....BUMP for all those who forgot or want to still submit something. You have until 7AM Saturday!!!!

I particularly love the Tabby Smith choice. Torres was one of my finalists in the casting selection....but I opted for another because I noticed my cast was becoming a bit too Whedon-heavy.
I've seen Gina Torres in a lot of things without actively seeking her out, so I tend to associate her with Whedon less than I would Fillion. However, I do have a loose rule of trying not to cast more than one Firefly performer in any given cast.

Interestingly, I just realized that Chris Cooper and Lucas Black already worked together in Jarhead, though IIRC, they didn't exchange any lines with each other.

It's interesting you post a comment about my cast today, though, because I'm contemplating recasting The Captain and Elsa Bloodstone.

I've recasted Elsa Bloodstone and The Captain:

dc-nextwave4.jpg

Clockwise from upper left: Chris Cooper, Gina Torres, Ben Affleck, Kristen Bell, Lucas Black and Katee Sackhoff.

Dirk Anger, Director of HATE - Let's face it: Everything that Dirk Anger is --- bulimic, misogynist, narcotically dependent, substance-addicted, sexually confused --- is a thinly veiled caricature of every single role that Academy Award-winner Chris Cooper has played in his life, most notably the self-hating closet homosexual Frank Fitts in American Beauty and the lecherous and alcoholic Dr. William Larson in Breast Men. Cooper has also honed the art of playing government agents, law enforcement grunts and military officers in films like The Bourne Identity, Jarhead and most recently, Breach. He styles these roles with the caustic smart-mouth of R. Lee Ermey, and has the haggard look of someone who has been ripped to the teats on the finest cocaine. Dirk Anger IS Chris Cooper.

Monica Rambeau, Ex-Avenger and Don't You Forget It - Standoff's Gina Torres is synonymous with genre-spanning diversity. She's been a frustrated upper-class housewife in 24, a stoic soldieress in Firefly, a pacifist megalomaniacal devourer demon in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and an ex-Soviet spy on Alias. With this resume, Torres has developed a resume more impressive than some actors twice her age and has every right to brag about it. This makes her well-suited to the role of Monica Rambeau, whose similarly diverse career has given her an excuse to be self-congratulatory and engage in excessive showboating and grants Torres the opportunity to channel her tough woman experience into one of ridiculous self-importance.

Aaron Stack, His Robot Brain Needs Beer - It's rather ironic that the most human of robots is a anti-fleshling bigot --- a backwards-minded twit inhabiting a body that is the epitome of the post-human future. To play this cybernetic hick, I'd put my money on The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift's Lucas Black. Between his performance in Tokyo Drift as Sean Boswell, and as Kruger in Jarhead, Black has got a good handle on the irresponsible machismo mixed with Alabama smugness that would play to excellent effect as Aaron Stack. Just imagine: Two human qualities --- a regional accent and a bigoted personality --- stuffed in the shell of a robot.

Elsa Bloodstone, Circumciser of Fiends - Raised by handguns, trained in demonic circumcision, deadly with a spoon: Elsa Bloodstone is the epitome of super-slayer confidence. To play her, I'd take Katee Sackhoff of TV's Battlestar Galactica, who I'd most definitely like to see stretch her wings into more stunt-oriented action work. As the unrepentantly confident Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace on TV's Battlestar Galactica, she's a perfect fit for this gun-toting super-slayer right down to her patented use of a cackle for insidious effect.

Tabitha Smith, White Trash AND Mutant - While most people identify Kristen Bell with the spunky intelligence as Veronica Mars in the series of the same name, most people forget that as Neptune High's teenage sleuth is also an expert con. On a weekly basis, Bell displays her range by exhibiting a wide range of conmanship to solve cases, indicating her chameleon-like ability to play a variety of blonde archetypes. Bell has shown a willingness to play against type as a weed-liberated sexpot in Reefer Madness. But the role that most convinced me of her range is her guest appearance on The Shield where she played then girlfriend of a slain Latino gangleader. As Tabitha Smith, Bell would play not just any super-powered white trash, but super-powered white trash with stinking mutie taint. Oh, and kleptomaniac too.

The Captain, The Ubermensch That Nobody Likes - He was never America's Favorite Patriot, he was never favored by the Uni-Power, and he was never part of his own Saturday morning cartoon and toy franchise. With his generic set of superpowers, The Captain is basically another bland template for superhumanity. Essentially speaking, The Captain is the ubermensch that nobody liked. Based on his performance as George Reeves, reluctant Superman, in Hollywoodland, Ben Affleck could fill out The Captain nicely angling for comedic effect rather than angst-ridden sympatheticness.

EXTRA: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (voice) as Fin Fang Foom, Angry Dragon Lizard Thing and John Rhys-Davies (voice) as Devil Dinosaur, Red But Not Communist.

And now for my choices (which totally don't count)....

Monica Rambeau - Tracie Thomas - I'm slightly jealous that other people mentioned her before I got to post mine. I was totally expecting a ****load of Gina Torres suggestions. Hell...even Gina was my second choice for her. But then I noticed that my cast turned into this "Serenity" reunion orgy. But for all the right reasons....Tracie.

Tabby Smith - Sarah Michelle Gellar - Ourchair pretty much got it right on the first try. Kristen Bell has the look down sooooo perfectly that it hurts my naughty bits. To be quite honest...part of me wants to go with his choice instead. But then my own stubborn logic takes over and I gotta side with mine. Tabby may be completely vapid---but at one point she's been on almost every X-team. So she's actually a seasoned fighter. Bell may be talented as hell.....but despite the fact that she's 26, she can pass for a 19 year old. I'd have Gellar channel a bit of the pre-slayer Valley Girl Buffy. Throw in her knack for non-snarkish comedic timing and you got Boom Boom.

Aaron Stack - Alexis Denisof - Again DSF paid off Warren Ellis to pick my brain. I'm actually worried about what other ideas and secrets he pulled out. Alan Tudyk was another main contender for the role of snarky robot. But with my huge Serenity-esque cast...I opted for another. Better known as Wesley from "Angel".....Denisof has shown that he get down an dirty with with the action. And we know that he can pull of the comedic portion. Instead of a witty British accent we get Denisof delivering deadpan snide remarks while dispatching the fleshy ones.

Elsa Bloodstone - Kate Beckinsale - Originally I wanted to cast Rebecca Romijn as Elsa. Lord knows she's done the femme fatale role enough. But in the end I thought that she'd been in too many superhero films already. As much as I hate to admit it.....Beckinsale is PERFECT for this role. Throw a giant orange wig with abusrdly large and long ponytail and Becks is good to go.

The Captain - Adam Baldwin - The last of my Whedon Family. The Captain is the disgruntled superhero that never was. When thinking of Cap...I instantly thought of him kicking the crap outta that demon in the bathroom. At the same time I was watching Serenity and the bar room fight scene was playing. Baldwin clotheslined a guy and then in midair...grabbed the guy and dropped him on his neck. Then I noticed Baldwin was going bald in the upper corners of his hair. I screamed "THE CAPTAIN!!!!!" My dog came running. Have Baldwin use a fading Brooklyn accent and TADA!

But kudos to DSF for a brilliant idea of using Knoxville!!!!!!!

Gen. Dirk Anger - Jeremy Piven - Next to Tracie Thomas I am most proud of this pick. I really am. Dirk is crazy. Now recall Piven as Ari Gold from "Entourage" and as strung out as Buddy Aces from "Smoking Aces". Got it? Good. Now imagine that one scene in NEXTWAVE where Anger finds out they know where the team is at. Dirk slaps the table and calls for loose women, vodka, a stomach pump...I can just see Ari Gold saying that after signing VIncent Chase to play the role of a lifetime. I know this may be a tough choice to sell.....but anyone whose seen "Entourage" knows what I'm talking about.

British rock band "The Darkness" to do the theme song.

Voice Acting Extras:
**Devil Dino** Michael Kaine
**Fing Fang Foom** Kevin Michael Richardson

Remember---round ends tomorrow morning at 7am Central time.

Last edited:
This round is now closed! No more entries will be accpeted......but discussion is highly encouraged! :D

PM me your votes for the winner. All voting will cease Sunday at noon. At which point I will post the winner.

So....I recieved 6 votes. It was a tie between the 2 Docs.

Normally I'd have some kinda sudden death round of rock, paper, scissors where the 2 finalists send me one of the 3 options via PM and the winner is clearly decided.

But since DC isn't around to paricipate in such malarky I am using my omnipotent officiating powers to pick the winner on my own. Kneel before awesome faux powers!

DSFFTMFW!

There.....

Latest posts

Back