Dreamcasting # 9 - The New Avengers

Marvelman = Disqualified Forever

noooooooo.jpg

Also: Compound, I'm not a big fan of your casting this round, because a LOT of those people can't act well... They look the part, but that's about it... Especially Speedman as Cap.
A LOT, you say? :?

I acknowledged my own reservations about casting Speedman -- I really threw him in because I didn't want to submit an incomplete cast. As I mentioned earlier, he's likely to be replaced, at some point before the final deadline.

I picked every cast member on the strength of at least one other role that proved their worthiness to play the NA characters:

Gugino in Threshold (secretive, controlling, manipulative);

Rickman in the Harry Potter movies and Dogma;

Gorham in Ugly Betty and Popular (charming in a boy-next-door kind of way; but also capable of ending up over-whelmed by circumstances);

Roberts in Heroes (tough family man);

Dhavernas in Wonderfalls (woman looking for a semblance of normality, after a life of weirdness, both self-chosen and external);

Owen in Children of Men and Sin City;

Theroux in Charlie's Angels 2 (wild, but capable of over-the-top humor, like Bendis' Wolvie) and Duplex;

Leto in Fight Club (conventionally handsome but severely disturbed)

Which ones do you find to be ineffective performers? I'm genuinely curious...

Last edited:
Rickman is Brilliant. Just want to get that out there. I'm also a big Clive Owen fan. Gugino -could- work, but I'm really not feeling it.

I've never seen Wonder Falls, but Dharvernas seems waaay too young to play Jessica Jones. I've also never seen anything with Gorham, but he seems to fit.

Jared Leto is just a pretty boy, I've never liked him in any movie... Even the ones like Alexander, where he's just supposed to look pretty, he still manages to throw it off.

Leonard Roberts has always been one of the weak links of Heroes, in my oppinion, and I adore that show. He's had some good episodes, but I also don't think he's the right look for Luke Cage, either...

Theroux also seems to fit, but I only remember finding his irish accent sexy in Charlies Angels 2... That's about it.

I'm just saying that you're one of the best Dreamcasters on the board, and I found this round not to be as good as your previous rounds.

I STILL LOVES YOU COMPOUND

(Even if you thought that Shade and I were dating)

Last edited:
Jared Leto is just a pretty boy, I've never liked him in any movie... Even the ones like Alexander, where he's just supposed to look pretty, he still manages to throw it off.

You didn't like his as the horribly beaten second hand man Angel in Fight Club?

Haven't seen fight club in ages... But if he's the guy im thinking of, he was pretty good in that, I'll admit.

Dr. Strangefate said:
Also: Compound, I'm not a big fan of your casting this round, because a LOT of those people can't act well... They look the part, but that's about it...
I disagree with this sentiment only because I tend to think that the 'objective measure of an actor's thespic skills' is the least important thing to consider when doing dreamcasts. Also, most actors regarded as lacking in ability can easily be 'fixed' with the right role or the right direction and coaching.

Bass said:
Krista Allen won't return my stalker e-mails.
Too bad. I hear Famke Janssen only takes Krista Allen's sloppy seconds.

Captain America: Matt Salinger

Iron Man: Robert Downey Junior

Spider-Man: Tobey Maguire

Luke Cage: Dave Chapelle

Spider-Woman: Kirsten Dunst

Sentry: Brad Pitt
You broke Rule # 2. This means you go into the penalty box.

Unfortunately, I am also in the penalty box.

I disagree with this sentiment only because I tend to think that the 'objective measure of an actor's thespic skills' is the least important thing to consider when doing dreamcasts. Also, most actors regarded as lacking in ability can easily be 'fixed' with the right role or the right direction and coaching.

I mostly disagree, but see your point.

But it's all just my oppinion, and I don't get a vote.

By the way, this round ends June 16th, unless we agree to shorten the lengths of the round (which might be a good idea, since this one already has so many entries)... Let me know what you all think.

Last edited:
I wish you would. I thought about her then realised that she a) doesn't look like her, b) I've never seen her in a film and don't know what she can/can't do , and c) I don't know much about Spider-Woman to cast her anyway. I picked Biel because she's a famous 'action heroine' and realised I thought that decision process (considering how much I thought about the others) was a BS reason for me to pick her. But I'd like to know your reasons, please. :)

well, she has the lips and body, and i figure that's really the important jazz when she's wearing a facemask and a skintight suit... but she's also a decent actress and intensely likeable, which would lend her alliance issues more impact on the audience. plus she's pretty.

(Even if you thought that Shade and I were dating)

WHAT THE HELL, COMPOUND. WHAT THE HELL.

Captain America: Matt Salinger

Iron Man: Robert Downey Junior

Spider-Man: Tobey Maguire

Luke Cage: Dave Chapelle

Spider-Woman: Kirsten Dunst

:lol: :lol:

And Bass, I came up with Bruce Willis as Nick Fury AGES ago... I even made a picture!

No you didn't.

I could play Luke Cage.

Of course you could - on the GUITAR, Mr Hetfield! YAH! RAWK! :rockon:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too bad. I hear Famke Janssen only takes Krista Allen's sloppy seconds.

And my reasons for stalking of her become clear.

well, she has the lips and body, and i figure that's really the important jazz when she's wearing a facemask and a skintight suit... but she's also a decent actress and intensely likeable, which would lend her alliance issues more impact on the audience. plus she's pretty.

Cool.

Um, not that it's any of my business (or anybody else's on the board), but for reference's sake, are DSF and Shade partners, in the non-platonic way?

(Sorry for being so direct -- perhaps I should have just sent a PM about it. But I just decided to post about it in a public thread, in case either or them wanted to answer my inquiry, in the open. Feel free to delete this, if you feel it's not appropriate.)

Ha Ha HA!

HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!

I am very amused by your assumptions.

I am totally telling his girlfriend.

And we trust THIS man's judgement on who to cast in the New Avengers film? I think NOT!

VOTE BASS.

HE'Z IN AMER1CA IN SEVENN DAYZ

GOINN TO YUR CONZ

Also: Compound, I'm not a big fan of your casting this round, because a LOT of those people can't act well... They look the part, but that's about it... Especially Speedman as Cap.

That's it DSF, dwindle down the competition for me.

Last edited:
Bluebeast, I completely missed your entry earlier. I'm not sure how.

Captain America: Matt Damon

... Now I kinda wish I had. MATT DAMON. Ugh. I can't stand him.

Iron Man: Joaquin Phoenix

This is a ****ing brilliant idea. Joaquin Phoenix would be a great addition.

Spider-Man: Milo Ventimiglia

I'm not sure why - it makes sense - but this choice... rubs me the wrong way. I dunno.

Luke Cage: Jamie Foxx

I've yet to see Jamie Foxx in anything. I want to see Ray.

Wolverine: Gerard Butler

THIS... IS... BRILLIANT!

Great idea!

Spider-Woman: Kate Beckinsale

Yet to see her in anything.

I can see this. Y'know though, when people mention Pitt's crazy 12 Monkeys/Fight Club roles they use that to cast him as the Sentry. I think he'd make a better Loki, y'know? Brad Pitt would make an awesome supervillain.

Bluebeast, I completely missed your entry earlier. I'm not sure how.

... Now I kinda wish I had. MATT DAMON. Ugh. I can't stand him.

I don't know, I always thought he would be good in a superhero movie. I was completely trying to get a big star for each role, and I thought he is the best actor out of all of the actors people think are "All-American".

This is a ****ing brilliant idea. Joaquin Phoenix would be a great addition.

I think that Phoenix could play almost any role you gave him. And he's deffinetly "eccentric" enough.

I'm not sure why - it makes sense - but this choice... rubs me the wrong way. I dunno.

I wanted Peter Parker to be the only one to not be played by someone on the A-List. Parker's the one the world doesn't trust, noone really knows about him.

I've yet to see Jamie Foxx in anything. I want to see Ray.

You should, Foxx was fantastic in Ray.

THIS... IS... BRILLIANT!

Great idea!

I was watching 300 thinking the whole time that he was going to go berserker on the Immortals.

Yet to see her in anything.

She's the typical "action girl". I always have the most trouble casting women, but I thought she was gppd enough.

I can see this. Y'know though, when people mention Pitt's crazy 12 Monkeys/Fight Club roles they use that to cast him as the Sentry. I think he'd make a better Loki, y'know? Brad Pitt would make an awesome supervillain.

I just pictured Sentry looking into a mirror getting into a psychological confrontation with himself as the Void, a la Norman Osborn in Spider-Man. I also think Pitt's a great actor, he gets a lot of crap but I've liked him in every movie I've seen him in.

I don't know, I always thought he would be good in a superhero movie. I was completely trying to get a big star for each role, and I thought he is the best actor out of all of the actors people think are "All-American".

I just can't stand him.

I think that Phoenix could play almost any role you gave him. And he's deffinetly "eccentric" enough.

I'm with you on that.

I just pictured Sentry looking into a mirror getting into a psychological confrontation with himself as the Void, a la Norman Osborn in Spider-Man. I also think Pitt's a great actor, he gets a lot of crap but I've liked him in every movie I've seen him in.

Totally. He's got the girl-actress problem - he's so good-looking people think he's just a pretty boy. He's actually extremely good. He's amazing in Seven.

Totally. He's got the girl-actress problem - he's so good-looking people think he's just a pretty boy. He's actually extremely good. He's amazing in Seven.
I agree.

A lot of people miss the fact that most of Brad Pitt's greatest roles involve a lot of rambling and talking --- he's no Johnny Depp --- but he does seem to prefer roles that involve chatty frothing at the smart-mouth rambling like in Snatch and Twelve Monkeys.

Brad Pitt is one of my favourite actors. He's been excellent in every movie I've seen of his. I think he'd be perfect for Sentry, Thor or Loki.

I just can't stand him.

I don't know, I think he's good at playing All-American characters. There have been a lot of choices that would be a better Cap, but I thought he fit the cast the best.

Latest posts

Back