Dreamcasting # 9 - The New Avengers

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
RULES

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

3) After two weeks, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

-----
The New Avengers
Big Budget Summer Blockbuster

I say New Avengers, because I love the Bendis Line-up, so that's what I'm asking for, although if you'd like to do the post Civil War line-up, be my guest...

Captain America - He's Captain America, for pete's sake.

Iron Man - Tony Stark. Rich Guy with big roboty exterior. Fun stuff.

Spider-Man - Read Rule Two before voting.

Wolverine - If you don't know who Wolverine is, you should stop calling yourself a comic book reader and just end it.

Luke Cage - His Skin is unhurtable, cuz he's awesome.

Spider-Woman - SHIELD/HYDRA double agent who has spider powers and flies!!

The Sentry - Superman Ripoff, Cept Crazy and Blonde

Optional are: Dr. Strange, Jessica Jones, Nick Fury, Matt Murdock, and Commander Hill

Captain America -Eric Johnson (Flash Gordon *soon* , Smallvile) I think he has the all american look that Captain America has. Clearly he can do action roles well as that would be the big point of Flash Gordon

Iron Man – Tom Cruise (War of the worlds) When Iron man movie was announced his was the name that everyone dropped. I may not like the guy but he's perfect for Iron Man

Spider-Man – Jonathan Taylor Thomas (Randy in Home Improvement) I have always said he would be a great spider-man. He has played thle geek in a few parts and when he delivers sarcastic lines it's perfect for Spider-man. Also last time I picked him for Spider-man the only complaint was "Too Old" but now spider-man has aged a bit …..

Wolverine – Dougray Scott (M:I-2) this was hard as Hugh Jackman was perfect. However Dougray Scott looks like could be Wolverine , From seeing him in other things he get the attiude right. And he was offered the part first.

Luke Cage - Ok I don't know much about him but one ban jumps to my mind. Samuel L. Jackson (star wars) He seems to look right and in most films have the Luke personality (at least that's how lukes personality seemed to me.

Spider-Woman -Ali Larter (heroes) , can play a strong female lead while still been hot which I think is the key to Spider-woman.

The Sentry – Scott Bakula (enterprise) From watching Star Trek Enterprise I know he can be commanding and tough (like a superman character needs to be in hero mode) But can be funny and one of the guys which would be perfect for a secret identity (Robert Reynolds I think assuming he acts different

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like the choice for Spider-Man. He doesn't fit, IMO. But the choice for Spider-Woman? Excellent choice.

Mole, your casting of Spider-man, Captain America, Iron Man and Luke Cage don't sit well with me. That said, your Wolverine and Spider-Woman are brilliant.

Personally, I don't like the choice for Spider-Man. He doesn't fit, IMO.
That's cool dude. I've just believed if anyone was going to be able to pull of the spider-man I love with the funny one lines , It's someone like him.

But the choice for Spider-Woman? Excellent choice.

Thanks dude.

Mole, your casting of Spider-man, Captain America, Iron Man and Luke Cage don't sit well with me. That said, your Wolverine and Spider-Woman are brilliant.

Cheers. I'll admit I don't know enough about Luke Cage to cast him well.

Last edited:
I have to agree about the casting for Wolverine. Another excellent choice.

Thanks , He was actually the one I was not sure about and knew the charracter beacuse like I said Hugh Jackman was perfect and felt any choice I made would look crap in comparison.

Also Note : there was one other I had in mind for spidey , Nicholas Brendon (Xander from buffy) But Jonathan Taylor Thomas is who I always think of for spidey so I stuck with him.

Where do I get all of the nice little pictures that line up perfectly?

When going for a movie about Earth's Mightiest Heroes, I went for a cast of Hollywood's best and brightest. These are the actors who would bring people to the theaters and make the New Avengers a huge hit.

Captain America: Matt Damon- I read this in an issue of Wizard and I can't get the image of Matt Damon as Cap out of my head. He's shown he's a great actor (Good Will Hunting) and he can kick *** (The Bourne Identity).
Matt_Damon_with_Mike.jpg

Iron Man: Joaquin Phoenix- While most people would think he's to young for the role, I think Phoenix can play Stark better than a Johnny Depp or Clive Owen type (who I originally considered for the part.) He can play hopeless and strung-out (Walk the Line) and he can be dick when his teammates dont't agree with him (Gladiator).
joaquin-phoenix.jpg

Spider-Man: Milo Ventimiglia- With Spider-Man you have to pick an everyman. Milo plays the ultimate everyman in Heroes. Plus he has the look for Peter Parker down flat.
med_milo-ventimiglia-1.jpg

Luke Cage: Jamie Foxx- Instead of going for some huge black guy who would look the part but have no emotion, I decided to pick Jamie Foxx, who's performances in Ray and Collateral were amazing. And I think that with a little extra (OK a lot extra) muscle, Foxx would look the part too.
_40872953_foxx220_afp.jpg

Wolverine: Gerard Butler- Butler can play the scruffy badass character to a tee as evident in 300. And since the movie he has solidified himself as a master of calm and cool under combat, but can go into berserker rages when angered. And I think Logan would scream a lot.
263982~Gerard-Butler-Posters.jpg

Spider-Woman: Kate Beckinsale- Spider-Woman was the hardest to pick because I was trying to find someone who could look the part and be tough. Kate Beckinsale can play touching parts and be hard as nails, such as in Click and Underworld.
kate-beckinsale-pics.jpg

Sentry/ The Void: Brad Pitt- This is actually the one superhero role I think Brad Pitt would be perfect. At first I picked him on looks, but then I thought about what he could bring to the character. Pitt could use the charming personality from Ocean's Eleven, and action credentials from Mr. and Mrs. Smith. He could also pull double duty as the Void, the Sentry's evil alter-ego, as evidenced in Fight Club.
039_39739~Brad-Pitt-Posters.jpg

Last edited:
Since we've already done the Ultimates (twice) and I can't stand to see a bunch of Cap and Tony castings again---I'm going for the roster post-Civil War. Instead I've opted to go with a big-scale movie....but with smaller--still very important--roles.

Luke Cage - Chiwetel Ejiofor - It's no secret that someone like Tyrese Gibson or Morris Chestnut are built perfectly for the role of Cage.....too bad they don't have the skill to play him. Besides...Thomas Jane and Tobey Macguire proved that bodies can be built. Ejiofor has shown an incredible range thru his career---but it's his role as head gansta Victor Sweet in Four Brothers that caught my eye. Combine that with the zen attittude of The Operative from Serenity----and you've got the headstrong, defiant leader of Cage.

Spiderman - Jake Gylenhall - Foregoing the nerdy Peter Parker that Macguire perfected in his films....I've opted to portray Peter as the young science teacher. Jake's role as the bright-eyed yet jaded Marine in Jarhead makes me believe that he could pull it off. Couple that with Jake's sarcastic comedic timing and you've got the right Spiderman......young science teacher with mediocre powers who's in way over his head with the Avengers.

Wolverine - Keifer Sutherland - Jack Bauer is essentially Wolverine without claws. He's the best there is at what he does. Sutherland's intensity combined with his gruff yet distinctive voice brings the old souled-warrior to life.

Spiderwoman - Jennifer Connelly - You want tough, sensual, captivating and vunerable? Look no further than Jennifer Connelly. For this role I imagined that scene from NA:Civil War issue starring Jessica---at the end she's standing there...shaking....crying...because she's burned her bridges and has nowhere else to go. If anyone doesn't believe that Connelly can't do the waterworks.....go watch some of her work that doesn't have "Hulk" in the title. Another scene I envision Connelly in is where they're standing in front of The Sentry's house and she explains that she can get people to do what she wants because she gives off pheromones. Yeah.....I like this choice.

Dr.Strange - Jeremy Irons - I want Strange to have a touch of regalness about him. If I were casting the snarkish Strange written by BKV...I might've gone with John Malkovich. But instead, Bendis gives us Sorcerer Supreme. This was a tough one to cast but in the end...I like my pick.

Ronin - ___________ - To be honest...any martial artist can play this role. Anyone. Personally I'd opt for the way underrated Donnie Yen. But at some point the mask has to come off. And I'm not looking for Echo-Ronin....I'm looking for Hawkeye-Ronin. So essentially, you're not casting Ronin...you're casting Hawkeye. And to be honest...any decent actor would do. Hell you could choose between Mark Wahlberg, Matthew Fox, Ed Burns, James Marsden or Josh Dumel. Take your pick. They just gotta be able to rock the beard stubble.

Iron Fist - Josh Lucas - If we can teach Keanu Reeves kung-fu....we can teach anyone. That's why I'm not looking at Ray Park. I'm looking for a self-centered, egotistical, jackass CEO. Lucas is like the new James Spader. Oh yeah....no giant yellow collar for Iron fist. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
Doom I love you're Spider-man , Wolverine , Dr.Strange and Spiderwoman. I'm not familiar with the other charracters to judge However ones I do know you cast great dude.

Oh for Ronin I'll pick your James Marsters option and give you even more credit beacuse It's spike! and II get to meet him this year at dragoncon (very hyped about that I kept :D ing the second they mentioned he was going)

Normally I don't reply to other's casts but have decided to get more involved since its more i know and I'm finding fun. So yeah what i'm saying dude is great choices

Also bluebeast loved you're captain America , Spider-Woman and Sentry

Doom I love you're Spider-man , Wolverine , Dr.Strange and Spiderwoman. I'm not familiar with the other charracters to judge However ones I do know you cast great dude.

Oh for Ronin I'll pick your James Marsters option and give you even more credit beacuse It's spike! and II get to meet him this year at dragoncon (very hyped about that I kept :D ing the second they mentioned he was going)

Normally I don't reply to other's casts but have decided to get more involved since its more i know and I'm finding fun. So yeah what i'm saying dude is great choices

Also bluebeast loved you're captain America , Spider-Woman and Sentry

How come you didn't include Sentry?

I shall also pick the post-Civil War line-up, as it's a pretty good team.

Luke Cage - Curtis James Jackson III. I hate this choice so much but I think he has a similar look and personality to Luke Cage. However, post-Civil War, Luke Cage becomes more of a leader, and looking at Yu's main image of Cage, I think DMX looks like him a bit. I don't think either of these two can probably act, so I'm basing this mainly on looks.

Spider-Man - Milo Ventimiglia - I posted this choice in the Spider-Man 3 news thread as I think he'd be a perfect choice to play Peter Parker. He was Peter Petrelli, now he's Peter Parker. Considering Peter is back in the black suit after Civil War, I'm sure Milo can play a moody and emotional Spider-Man well. And now I just noticed bluebeast has this choice.

Wolverine - I'm stuck here. I know who I want I just don't know who that person is. I want him more of an older looking, through-the-wars type Wolverine. Hugh Jackman looks too young. I want someone who is 40+, so you can tell he's been around for a while. If I find someone suitable, I'll edit him in.

Doctor Strange - Robert Downey Jr. I looked at a photo of him in the Iron Man movie and realize that he's not Iron Man, he's Doctor Strange. I see him playing a weird and eccentric sorcerer supreme, playing a Deus Ex Machina sort of role.

Spider-Woman - Adriana Lima. I was looking at the cover to Giant Size Spider-Woman #1 and immediately thought of her. She's sexy and she's sultry.

Iron Fist - Ray Park. He's going to be in an Iron Fist movie, he's good at martial arts, and he looks pretty similar. Therefore, he's perfect. No, I just changed my mind. Ed Norton. Just because.

Oh wait---**** me. I didn't mean the guy who played Spike. God...that's a horrible choice. I meant James Marsden. Marsden. The guy who played Cyclops.

God...Spike?!?!?! WTF was I thinking!?!?!?!
No Echo on your team?

Warning....if you haven't been following New Avengers...spoilers are below. Highlight at your own peril.

I left out Echo because
according to the comic as of right now....Echo is evil and on Elektra's side.
. So casting her would've been essentially stupid.

Last edited:
Oh wait---**** me. I didn't mean the guy who played Spike. God...that's a horrible choice. I meant James Marsden. Marsden. The guy who played Cyclops.

Warning....if you haven't been following New Avengers...spoilers are below. Highlight at your own peril.

I left out Echo because
according to the comic as of right now....Echo is evil and on Elektra's side.
. So casting her would've been essentially stupid.

Kind of saw it coming.

Why does your quote say bluebeast? I mentioned spike. And sorry about mix up

On the urging of Ourchair, I shall competeorize, though sadly, I can't find those wonderful headshots that Ourchair does. :(

The New Avengers
Big Budget Summer Blockbuster

Iron Man - Chris Barrie
Chris Barrie was Rimmer in Red Dwarf. So... not Tony Stark. BUT... Barrie was also Ace Rimmer in Red Dwarf (what a guy!). The way I see it, Tony Stark has to be sexy and charismatic and commanding, all the things that Chris Barrie can do as Ace Rimmer proved, but here's what Chris Barrie had for me for this particular role over say other actors like George Clooney, Sean Maher, or the wonderful Timothy Olyphant - This is not an Iron Man film. This is an Avengers film. This means the majority of Iron Man's appearance will be in the suit, and not in a tux. This means what you need more than anything else is a good voice actor. Chris Barrie did a **** load of voices for Spitting Image, which was a puppet show of impersonations. Chris Barrie can make his voice interesting enough to carry a show - he's a good Iron Man.
CBcheers.jpg

Spider-Man - Andy Serkis
Okay - Andy Serkis (Gollum) makes a terrible Peter Parker. Doesn't even remotely look like him. You hire another guy to play Peter Parker. That actor does the voice of Spider-Man too. But in the Avengers film, the majority of Spider-Man will be a guy in tights doing all kinds of acrobatics. What this means is you need a guy who can create a character with his body - not his face, nor his voice. Andy Serkis could do this brilliantly. You can easily get away with another guy doing the voice - it worked fine for Darth Vader.
andy-serkis-thumb.jpg

Wolverine - Adam Baldwin
Wolverine always looks like a turd in spandex when he's drawn at 5'3". Which is why no one ever draws him at 5'3". And why no actor hired to play him is ever 5'3". This is true even for voice actors. So you go with a tall, strong, tough guy. Adam Baldwin can do that no problem. What Adam Baldwin can do though, is make the tough guy lovable. Wolverine can't be the same note over and over again of, "Look how tough I am, bub" he's got two other main notes - the first is his paternal side (which works only if he's TALLER than the girl) and the second is his comedic elements. Adam Baldwin can do both, and at the same time, he's really good at taking a hit, something the Wolverine actor has to be able to do. Baldwin can take a hit and make it look like nothing or that it hurt like hell, depending on the occassion. Works well for me. Another thing that makes Wolverine special, that makes him dangerous, is his animal nature - his berserker rage, his instincts - Adam Baldwin played "Animal Man" in Full Metal Jacket. He can go 'snap'. And when he's calm, clean-shave, and in a suit and tie, he can STILL look like a predator.
0000001053_20060919141216.jpg

Luke Cage - Henry Simmons
In the TV show, SHARK, there is precisely three things that are good - the rest is balls. James Woods, Jeri Ryan, and Henry Simmons. He plays a PI who used to be a cop but was kicked out of the force for planting evidence to indict a guy who he saw kill his partner. The guy's first appearance is him being at odds with the show's star, James Woods, losing, and STILL coming off as a great character. He's very likeable even when doing morally questionable things. He's can do all the stereotypical blaxplotation stuff he'd have to do as Luke Cage - the 'streetwise' stuff, being big and black and what not - but he's actually very likeable and highly charismatic. Because he's an athlete and a businessman. A guy like this stands out. He could be Iron Man (the only reason I didn't pick him as such is due to the 'voice actor' business). But I cast him as Luke Cage because Luke Cage NEEDS a good, charismatic black actor that has more depth to him than just being 'big and black' because Luke Cage would be in this film alongside Captain America and Spider-Man. Luke Cage has no costume, no super power name, and his super power is the rather non-splashy "bullet-proof" skin. Luke Cage is a secondary character at best, and in order to make him worthwhile, you need someone who with a smile, can grab the audience. I reckon Henry Simmons can do it, because he did it fine in SHARK, and his character in SHARK is a boring Luke Cage.
2225898552.jpg

Spider-Woman - Krista Allen
I don't have much affinity for Spider-Woman but as far as I can tell, men fall head over heels for her because of her super-pheromones and not because she's outrageously hot (or something). So I've noticed that one of Krista Allen's most frequent roles she's hired for is the 'hottie who's unaware everyone is ogling the **** out of her'. So she'd have no problem doing that element. Krista Allen is also physically very athletic so she works well for a superhero. And she can act. She actually can and doesn't get nearly enough respect for it because she's too damn fine. It's also oddly appropriate because I'm convinced she's the PERFECT MARY JANE. Mary Jane - gorgeous supermodel who wants to be a respected actress? Krista Allen IS that. She doesn't even need to act. And she looks EXACTLY like MJ. So it's oddly appropriate she'd be a good Spider-Woman.
0000008430_20060920152851.jpg

The Sentry - Vincent D'Onofrio
The Sentry has got to be tall (especially considering the HEIGHT of this cast - yeesh!) but not much taller than the rest, enough to look 'right'. The blonde hair can be accomplished with a wig. What The Sentry needs is the vulnerability. Sentry isn't like Superman. Superman isn't vulnerable - the Sentry is. Sentry is a man who was the world's greatest hero and had it all taken away from him. He lives in the shadow of the most dangerous foe, the Void. He's the greatest hero, it's greatest danger, and his friends have ruined his life. He's seeking redemption - and he's crazy. All this, and he's an alcoholic and an ordinary man who just remembered he's a god in spandex. This is not Superman. This is a messed up guy. I originally was thinking of David Wenham because he looks the part, but I thought Vincent D'Onofrio would be better (D'Onofrio would be a great Iron Man if it wouldn't be a travesty to cast such a visually interesting actor and then stick him in a tin can for two hours). The guy hits all these notes as Pyle in Full Metal Jacket - vulnerable, and mad. The Sentry's a lot more subtle though, and D'Onofrio's overqualified to pull off this character. As my friend Duncan said, regarding his performance in Full Metal Jacket, "The guy went from goofy smile to sinister smile with his EYEBROWS."
the_cell_2.jpg

Captain America
I was going to go for The Rock, but I went against it because the film has Luke Cage in it and Henry Simmons and the Rock would have too much overlap. This bad for two reasons - in a team like this you want each character to be wildly unique and unmistakable from the others, and while you wouldn't get the two confused, they'd be too similar. The other problem is this - Luke Cage NEEDS to be given a real shot in the arm to have any real standing in this film. Casting a similar actor in a more prestigious role GUTS Luke Cage. So no to the Rock. So Captain America can't be the bombastic superhero in this film. We've got Sentry and Iron Man for the special effects, Spidey for the kids, Wolverine for the honeys, Luke Cage for the 'cool', and Spider-Woman from the homina-homina. So Captain America can't be the all-america soldier who kicks everyone's *** in red, white, and blue. He'd just be redundant. Instead, you make him the emotional core. The idealist. The AVENGERS would be about avenging injustice, and for that, you need them to have been hurt. Captain America can hold that feeling of loss. A man out of time, obsolete, faced into a harsh world. He's lost so much. But you need a guy who can showboat too, make that hurt WORTH watching, liven it up, and be entertaining. Captain America is the emotional core of the film. The all-american kid who wanted to be a superhero and got the chance. So I got to give it to Nathan Fillion.
77053539_49520880ce.jpg

Now I want to see this film.

Stupid thread.

Last edited:
I missed all of the old Dreamcasting threads, so I don't know about other people's Cap and Iron man choices, and even though most are doing a post-civil war team, I'm going to go with Doc's picks.

daniel.jpg

Captain America - Daniel Craig - First of all; shut up. I know that I'm probably going to get a lot of critisism for this choice...but if Craig could drop the accent, not only does he kind of look like Rogers, but he's proven that he can be a great action hero in Casino Royale. I'm confident that he could play a great Captain America.

jeffmorgan.jpg

Iron Man - Jeffery Dean Morgan - More of a Television actor than anything else, but I could defintely see him as 616 Stark, who's a bit more of a serious businessman than his Ultimate counterpart. My only real expierience with Morgan was in Supernatural, in which he did a fantastic job playing the stern, millitary-man father of Sam and Dean, who had a bit of a sarcastic edge. Add a bit of Humor to his character and he has it down. Not to mention that he looks like Stark.

malachy-murphy.jpg

Spider-man - Cillian Murphy Most would be familiar with him as playing Scarecrow in Batman Begins. I'll keep this short and simple; he's proven that he's a fantastic actor and he looks the part. Just because you recognize him as a psychopath doesn't mean it's the only role he knows how to play.

ChristopherEccleston.jpg

Wolverine - Christopher Eccleston Ugh. This one was hard. I ended up going with Christopher Eccleston...another British guy. He kind of looks the part...kind of...well, in heroes he was good at playing the middle aged, grumpy guy who kind of just wanted to be left alone. Again...drop the accent and we may have a winner.

Joshua.jpg

Luke Cage - Roger Cross Big black guy with acting skill...harder to come by than you'd think. He did a good job in 24 as Curtis Manning, and I'm confident he could pull off Luke Cage. They're both kind of laid back characters...Luke loses his temper a bit more, but in the end, I know he can play a leader and he can play a realist.

lenaheadeycover.jpg

Spider-Woman - Leena Headley Yep; she played the sexy, ballsy chick archtype in 300, and I think she could here. And...she's English. Wow. That was completely coincidental...I didn't realize most of cast was going to be hailing from Britian. Oh well. She'd be good for the part. I even think she could pull off the traitor thing. If anything she may be a bit old...

I opted to not cast the Sentry because he's such a terrible character. If you insist, someone like Heath Ledger would be good. The Sentry's just boring though...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back