Dreamcasting: Adaptations #13 - Pride of Baghdad

I don't think we're running out of ideas at all.

I think the problem was that somebody up and went and decided to make the 'remakes' thread I initiated into a 'adaptations' thread.

Which is silly.

Making two threads between comics and 'everything else' is a completely uneven way to divide the ideas for rounds.

I started 'remakes' because the idea was 'everything known to man that hasn't been made' and 'everything that has been done before'.

Ditto.

And I did this because hey....if we can have a round with 3 different projects up for grabs and its ok----what's so wrong with this?

I hate making more of them but We have "dreamcast" and "dreamcast Adaptations" then we have "dreamMovie" I think that needs a second one. I vote for "DreamTV" So we can pitch shows as well.

Also we should be able to reuse exiting Dream ones. E.g we did DreamCast for Ultimates. We should be able to do a "DreamMovie" and "DreamTV" for the Ultimates as well as it involves pitching not just cast.

I say this because we are doing a lot of big named stuff that given a year or two we will have to do more less known properties and the dream thing will start getting less people joining in.

Plus let's face it DreamMovie of say "Justice league" would be diffrent than DreamTV of "Justice league" as you are more limited in effects for TV but also have to look at more of the big picture for the whole season not just a 2 hr movie so it balances it out.

I hate making more of them but We have "dreamcast" and "dreamcast Adaptations" then we have "dreamMovie" I think that needs a second one. I vote for "DreamTV" So we can pitch shows as well.

Also we should be able to reuse exiting Dream ones. E.g we did DreamCast for Ultimates. We should be able to do a "DreamMovie" and "DreamTV" for the Ultimates as well as it involves pitching not just cast.

I say this because we are doing a lot of big named stuff that given a year or two we will have to do more less known properties and the dream thing will start getting less people joining in.

Plus let's face it DreamMovie of say "Justice league" would be diffrent than DreamTV of "Justice league" as you are more limited in effects for TV but also have to look at more of the big picture for the whole season not just a 2 hr movie so it balances it out.

I disagree. Not because you're Mole...but because the reasoning for this what we made the Remake game for.

The round moderator could decide whether or not your "Smokey and The Bandit" remake was for TV or Silver Screen. Live action or CGI.

Making another round just for TV is getting petty.

I disagree. Not because you're Mole...but because the reasoning for this what we made the Remake game for.

The round moderator could decide whether or not your "Smokey and The Bandit" remake was for TV or Silver Screen. Live action or CGI.

Making another round just for TV is getting petty.

Besides they usually leave the medium open, I think you can cast with the intentions of tv anyway. Someone did that with the A Team

I've been making it a point to note in the rules that you can declare the property medium.

It's always been there.

There is no RULE that each thread is a live-action movie. I have no idea why people assume it's a movie.

The idea is that you put a dream cast for whatever medium you want... UNLESS the moderator of the round declares the medium.

And if you didn't know that, then read the rules again.

It's always been there.

Hence the Ex Machina TV round.

Hence the Green Lantern "Law and Order" style TV show.

(Of course most people ignored it and started writing pitches for a trilogy, but I didn't want to be a fascist.)

So there.

SSJMole said:
Also we should be able to reuse exiting Dream ones.
Nobody said you can't.

SSJMole said:
E.g we did DreamCast for Ultimates. We should be able to do a "DreamMovie" and "DreamTV" for the Ultimates as well as it involves pitching not just cast.
I don't mind a DreamMovie, DreamTV or whatever --- even if it is spreading it a little too thin. The problem is that other than making some effort at a pitch, it's essentially Dreamcasting.

I think the rules of engagement in that game need to be adjusted actually, in the same way that I took the rules YOU made --- yes, you Mole, you made some rules for Dreamcasting --- and formalized them into something more well, formal.

As it is DreamMovie is really floundering in terms of direction... although the ideas it's yielded have been rather awesome, I will admit. :D

I took the rules YOU made --- yes, you Mole, you made some rules for Dreamcasting --- and formalized them into something more well, formal.

I didn't , I copied them from the first one. At least I think I did ....

But that's cool guys if you disagreed , If no one thought that was a good Idea of mine that's cool. We can meet half way I think. How about renaming "DreamMovie" in to something like "DreamPitching" or "DreamProject" As I know they have both tv an movie if you want but I thought DreamMovie was just movies by changing it we can pitch tv shows and movies depending on what said.

Again I may be wrong and that's cool just something I was thinking of

But that's cool guys if you disagreed , If no one thought that was a good Idea of mine that's cool. We can meet half way I think. How about renaming "DreamMovie" in to something like "DreamPitching" or "DreamProject" As I know they have both tv an movie if you want but I thought DreamMovie was just movies by changing it we can pitch tv shows and movies depending on what said.
That's what I thought.

I actually made a post saying it should be called "Pitch Master" or "Dream Pitch" but nobody paid attention. I sent a PM to DSF saying the same thing, he also didn't reply.

It should be "DreamPitch" or "Pitch Master: Pitching the Pitchiest Pitch" or whatever, because it opens it up to a variety of projects. Somebody will say, okay "I want you to do a gender bender story." And that frees people to make a pitch of any kind. Romantic comedy, hi-jinks martial arts serialized television, psychological drama."

"I want you to do a gender bender story."

:lol: :lol: Sorry Had to.

But yeah , I'm glad you understood what I meant. I like the name "DreamPitch"

Last edited:
I prefer Pitch Master because it reminds me of those ads in the back of guitar magazines that tell you to improve your playing with lessons from the masters who know the secrets of... Perfect Pitch!

Sigh....whatever....

In hopes of getting this project back on track and getting some more submissions....here's my non-votable cast....

PrideofBaghdad.jpg

Top: Orlando Bloom, Chalize Theron, Freddie Highmore
Botton: CCH Pounder, Michael Clarke Duncan, Ian MacKellen

ZillOrlando Bloom – The alpha male by default. A strong male in his own mind. This sums up Orlando Bloom's masculinity levels perfectly. I've cast Bloom for this reason…plus his faint accent is crucial to the character. I don't want my African lions sounding American. Bloom can give off the dashing hero-in-charge when he needs to (Pirates of the Caribbean or Kingdom of Heaven). But at his core he's a still unsure of himself and always on the cusp of his potential greatness. The character…not Orlando Bloom. Bloom will be able to portray that slight level of vulnerability and ignorant bravado of Zill perfectly.

NoorCharlize Theron – The assertive, sensual mother. Just imagine Theron's voice uttering the words "Take me. Take me now!"…and then imagine her a couple hours later forcefully taking control of the hunting party and barking orders on how to take down the future prey. Oh yeah…this is good.

AliFreddie Highmore – Another youngin' with the accent and vulnerability in his voice to play the young cub.

Safa CCH Pounder – Safa is merely the old jaded former Queen Bee in charge. You know who else was this? Amanda Waller? You know who Amanda Waller is? CCH POUNDER MOTHER****ER! DON'T YOU FORGET IT! But seriously…this was the only logical choice for me.

Fajer Michael Clarke Duncan – No justification needed. It's Kingpin…with fur. Plus he already played a bear in Disney's "Brother Bear"…so I'm sure that's worth +15 exp. points. :p

Old TurtleSir Ian Mackellen – Tragic survivor of his family. He saw his family killed by man's collateral damage. And now he wishes to just be alone in peace. If this doesn't say Holocaust survivor, I don't know what does. Holocaust…Magneto…Mackellan? Anything? Anyone? Bueller?

ZillOrlando Bloom – The alpha male by default. A strong male in his own mind. This sums up Orlando Bloom's masculinity levels perfectly. I've cast Bloom for this reason…plus his faint accent is crucial to the character. I don't want my African lions sounding American. Bloom can give off the dashing hero-in-charge when he needs to (Pirates of the Caribbean or Kingdom of Heaven). But at his core he's a still unsure of himself and always on the cusp of his potential greatness. The character…not Orlando Bloom. Bloom will be able to portray that slight level of vulnerability and ignorant bravado of Zill perfectly.
That's brilliant.

Also, I like how Bloom's faint accent works for his career because it gives him 'character' --- at least in the most superficial sense of the word --- but without making him completely alienating as a leading man. It's probably why he was so readily cast in swords and sandals epics, because he doesn't completely scream: "I'm not from your Americas!"

Victor Von Doom said:
NoorCharlize Theron – The assertive, sensual mother. Just imagine Theron's voice uttering the words "Take me. Take me now!"…and then imagine her a couple hours later forcefully taking control of the hunting party and barking orders on how to take down the future prey. Oh yeah…this is good.
A South African beauty voicing a dominating lioness? SOLD.

Victor Von Doom said:
AliFreddie Highmore – Another youngin' with the accent and vulnerability in his voice to play the young cub.
I don't mean to sound like a pedo, but if I were an eleven year old girl, I would probably describe Freddie Highmore's voice in one word: HOT.

Victor Von Doom said:
Safa CCH Pounder – Safa is merely the old jaded former Queen Bee in charge. You know who else was this? Amanda Waller? You know who Amanda Waller is? CCH POUNDER MOTHER****ER! DON'T YOU FORGET IT! But seriously…this was the only logical choice for me.
She was also The Barn captain for awhile on The Shield, right? Forever proving that you can still be badass even if you're over fifty years old and have lupus. Take that Forest Whitaker.

That's brilliant.

Also, I like how Bloom's faint accent works for his career because it gives him 'character' --- at least in the most superficial sense of the word --- but without making him completely alienating as a leading man. It's probably why he was so readily cast in swords and sandals epics, because he doesn't completely scream: "I'm not from your Americas!"

At least you get it.

She was also The Barn captain for awhile on The Shield, right? Forever proving that you can still be badass even if you're over fifty years old and have lupus. Take that Forest Whitaker.

:lol:

FX - Providing topnotch, kickass character actors for all your Dreamcast needs.

Freddie Highmore's a pretty cool choice. Plus the pic you chose for him is funny-looking. Michael Clarke Duncan and Ian McKellen are cool choices also.

Last edited:
And lo, I too shall post a dreamcast, *****es.

But woe, there shall be no voice samples for now, even though I would very much like to bestow upon you the greatness of my cast with audio proof of it's sheer awesometitude.

If this be my method, let there be madness in it!

Coming soon.

07-prideofbaghdad.jpg

Clockwise from upper left: Gillian Anderson, James McAvoy, Susan Sarandon,
Donald Sutherland, Dominic Scott Kay and Keith David

I've chosen only actors with previous voice over experience, with the exception of James McAvoy, but that's okay because he's sexy as hell.

James McAvoy as Zill - I have always considered James McAvoy one sexy beast ever since I saw him in his gorgeous shirtlessness in Children of Dune. If only he was gay. If only I were gay. If only he wasn't married. That said, I love how he brings a mix of uncertainty and confidence in characters like The Last King of Scotland's Nicholas Garrigan and Starter for Ten's Brian Jackson.

Gillian Anderson as Noor - People remember her as the world's sexiest skeptic in 90s hit The X-Files. I remember her for her convincing portrayal of ferocious yet motherly wolf god Moro from the English language version of Princess Mononoke. Also you all probably want to hear her say, "Take me! Take me!"

Susan Sarandon as Safa - The former screen siren has now become middle-aged hippie with a steel nerves. Now she makes a living playing emotionally flexible mothers from movies like Igby Goes Down and Elizabethtown. Sarandon provided the voice of the malevolently dry humored Miss Spider from James and The Giant Peach and a demented theme park director Coco LaBouche from Rugrats in Paris.

Keith David as Fajer - If you don't know the name Keith David, you certainly know the voice. This man is all about completely destroying you with his voice alone. He's played the eponymous resurrected mercenary of Spawn: The Animated Series, the imposingly fierce Goliath from Gargoyles and about 138 other credits to his name. Oh yeah, he is also the world's scariest "Father of the Date" you'll ever meet from Something About Mary.

Dominic Scott Kay as Ali - He played Kyra Sedgwick's very special son in Kevin Bacon's 2005 directorial debut, Loverboy. He also played the young Will Turner in Pirates 3. But he's also chalked up a great mark on his voice over resume playing the vulnerable yet insatiably curious Wilbur from the most recent adaptation of E.B. White's Charlotte's Web.

Donald Sutherland as Old Turtle - Critically acclaimed for fathering Jack Bauer, he also happens to have a side gig as a critically-acclaimed actor. Currently he plays family patriarch Tripp Darling on Dirty Sexy Money. However, Donald's distinctive voice gave him the opportunity to play scientist turned iconoclastic heretic Dr. Cid in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, making him a great choice for Old Turtle.

James McAvoy as Zill - I have always considered James McAvoy one sexy beast ever since I saw him in his gorgeous shirtlessness in Children of Dune. If only he was gay. If only I were gay. If only he wasn't married. That said, I love how he brings a mix of uncertainty and confidence in characters like The Last King of Scotland's Nicholas Garrigan and Starter for Ten's Brian Jackson.

To be honest....I don't know which is better. Mine or yours. Both are pretty much the same. Only if given the chance...I wouldn't shank your choice.

Gillian Anderson as Noor - People remember her as the world's sexiest skeptic in 90s hit The X-Files. I remember her for her convincing portrayal of ferocious yet motherly wolf god Moro from the English language version of Princess Mononoke. Also you all probably want to hear her say, "Take me! Take me!"

Hmmmm....probably the only one I'm not too sure of. But that could be because I wasn't an X-Files fan and don't have the same high opinion of her that most do.

Susan Sarandon as Safa - The former screen siren has now become middle-aged hippie with a steel nerves. Now she makes a living playing emotionally flexible mothers from movies like Igby Goes Down and Elizabethtown. Sarandon provided the voice of the malevolently dry humored Miss Spider from James and The Giant Peach and a demented theme park director Coco LaBouche from Rugrats in Paris.

This I love. Mostly because I still love Susan Sarandon. That old bird would still get it. A lot.

Plus I keep envisioning the scene where Noor asks Zill to take her and the 2 go off into the woods. Then Ali asks Safa where they're going....Safa tells him they need to be alone...then Ali says "That's the same thing Noor said when Zill used to be alone with you."

You could just see the bitterness and hurt in her eyes. I can totally see Sarandon delivering that line with perfection.

Keith David as Fajer - If you don't know the name Keith David, you certainly know the voice. This man is all about completely destroying you with his voice alone. He's played the eponymous resurrected mercenary of Spawn: The Animated Series, the imposingly fierce Goliath from Gargoyles and about 138 other credits to his name. Oh yeah, he is also the world's scariest "Father of the Date" you'll ever meet from Something About Mary.

Keith David is awesome. But he'll never top his "Men At Work" role. Ever.

Donald Sutherland as Old Turtle - Critically acclaimed for fathering Jack Bauer, he also happens to have a side gig as a critically-acclaimed actor. Currently he plays family patriarch Tripp Darling on Dirty Sexy Money. However, Donald's distinctive voice gave him the opportunity to play scientist turned iconoclastic heretic Dr. Cid in Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, making him a great choice for Old Turtle.

Another great choice. I actually like yours more than mine. Especially since Mackellen gets so used so much in these games that now I feel like a noobish ****tard for even thinking of him. I mean what's next? I start casting Famke Jensen in every sexy female role?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm....probably the only one I'm not too sure of. But that could be because I wasn't an X-Files fan and don't have the same high opinion of her that most do.
I myself was not much of an X-Files fan. But Princess Mononoke was really foremost on my mind when I cast her.

But if you must ask, I think she's hotter now as a weathered and world-weary blond than when she was a red-headed exhibitionist bombshell.

Victor Von Doom said:
This I love. Mostly because I still love Susan Sarandon. That old bird would still get it. A lot.
Susan Sarandon is an acquired taste, but I can so see why she's still regarded as a sex symbol. It's the awesome ability of her voice to be warmly inviting and frighteningly cold, I think.

Victor Von Doom said:
Keith David is awesome. But he'll never top his "Men At Work" role. Ever.
Keith David is what happens if you wanted someone even more uncompromisingly tough than Samuel Jackson and with a more frightening stature than Dennis Haysbert's. Nothing will ever top how frighteningly creepy he was in Requiem for a Dream. Oh and mentioning Men At Work only shows your age... and mine.
Victor Von Doom said:
Another great choice. I actually like yours more than mine. Especially since Mackellen gets so used so much in these games that now I feel like a noobish ****tard for even thinking of him. I mean what's next? I start casting Famke Jensen in every sexy female role?
I honestly think Ian McKellen needs to be used as a shadow character or any other sort of dark horse presence, so I can't fault for people wanting to use him, I just think he has this enigmatic quality that people aren't exploiting properly. I'm still proud of making him Planetary's Sherlock Holmes of The Open Conspiracy.

As for Famke Janssen, she's an odd bird to play with. She needs to be a bit of a wild child, but not ditzy. She has to play tough, but she can't be bad-***. She occupies a very strange middle ground of qualities that somehow manages to be sexy rather than being a nauseating 'middle' point of traits.

As for Sutherland, he's been playing side figure characters lately in Pride and Prejudice and Cold Mountain, so I think it's appropriate for him to play an elusive character now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back