Dreamcasting: Adaptations # 5 - Blade Runner

Friday

The Rules of the Future.

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) Participants may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film/TV ones.

3) After the time period set by the moderator, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself. REMINDER: Moderators don't vote either.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

Blade Runner

You must cast the following

Rick Deckard - Retired Blade Runner brought in to hunt down the Relicants.

Gaff - Cityspeaking liaison and pseudo partner to Deckard

Roy Batty - Violent leader of the renegade Replicants.

Leon Kowalski - Less advanced Replicant that often resorts to violence.

Rachel - Prototype Replicant who doesn't know what she is.

Dr. Eldon Tyrell - Creator of the Replicants and target of their wrath.

Round ends July 20th at 8pm eastern Standard time. Voting beings July 20th at 9pm eastern standard time and will run until 9pm the next day.

Re: Dreamcasting: The Remakes #5 - Blade Runner

Okay.... here it is. This one was really hard to do, because the first one is so perfectly cast(especially Roy Batty). Anyways, after some deliberation, here are my choices:

Clive Owen as Rick Deckard:
503390~Sin-City-Clive-Owen-Advance-Posters.jpg

His performances in Sin City and Children Of Men really sell this one... I think he'd be great as the cynical, unshaven, noir-ish detective.

Kevin Spacey as Gaff:
Spaceycover.jpg

It's tough thinking of someone who could match Almos here. This choice could either be pitch-perfect or in the wrong hands, disasterous. On the assumption that a dream-remake(don't tempt me to coin the phrase "dreamake":wink:) would have the perfect director too, I'll go ahead and say Spacey for this one, because he really could fit. The key here was imagining the famous like("It's too bad she won't live...") coming out of various actor's mouths here. I like how it sounds coming from Spacey.

Nicole Kidman as Rachel:
Priss.jpg

The motto of the Tyrell Corporation is "more human than human", and anyone will tell you that Nicole is just far too perfect looking to be human. Plus, she's a great actress to boot. She seems like a more obvious choice for Pris, but I like her better here. I think she'd go well with Owen and I'd love to see her tackle Rachel's vulnerability.

Michael Emerson as J. F. Sebastian:
Ben1.jpg

The lonely(except for his inventions) toymaker. This one's kind of a no-brainer for me. He just fits so well. I often picture him in the role when I watch the movie. I think he'd be sublime. They'd need to make him a bit younger though.

Cillian Murphy as Roy Batty:
s320x240

I considered others for this, mainly Ewan McGregor and Hugh Jackman, but I'm going with my first choice. Batty has to look handsome, frightening, lithe, futuristic, and lethal all at once, and I think Cillian can embody all those things. I think I'd want him to have white-blonde hair like Hauer did, though. Batty's Arian appearance is an important part of him, IMO.

More to come...

Last edited:

Ooohhh. Michael F Emerson. Very nice...

Last edited:

This is not a god list but I wanted to give this another entry

Rick Deckard – Kurt Russell (Escape from New York), he reminds me of a Harrison Ford. That was the main reason for picking him. Also I know he is pretty cool in theses types of roles.

Gaff – Peter Fonda (Easy Rider )besides the fact I love the actor I wanted to play up the mysterious part , I think we would pretty interesting in the role and make the character different to how Edward James Olmos played him.

Roy Batty – Michael Madsen (Sin City). Roy batty was a pretty tough guy from what I remember been leader , So I decided to go with Michael Madsen , He has played similar characters before to what I would want.

Leon Kowalski -Vin Diesel (xXx) Been a character who is somewhat emotionally detached it just seemed perfect to have Vin Diesel. He's tough and he sucks at emotion so it fits perfectly in my opinion

Rachel – Natasha Henstridge (species), Chosen because I think there is a similarity between Rachel and her character of Sil in species.

Dr. Eldon Tyrell – John Glover (Smallville) as we have seen in other roles he can play the genius and can play good or bad. I would interested in seeing him in the role and honestly he was my first choice.

Last edited:

Thanks dude , I honestly didn't think anyone would like any of my choices on this. I thought this one was a hard to cast

I think Michael Madeson would have been a great choice back when he did Resivour Dogs, but the man has not aged well. Shame really...

I haven't actually seen Blade Runner (I would like to though) but I thought I'd give this a shot. Some of the choices I think are actually good and others I'm not sure about. (This is mostly info off of Wiki) I winged it essentially.

Rick Deckard - Matt Damon: I had no idea how to do this. No one can be Harrison Ford. Planet Man had the best choice so I put someone in who I thought could adequetly fill the role. Damon is a great actor, he can play off the action scenes needed and he has the personality to do the beat cop.
Matt_Damon_at_Incirlik.jpg

Gaff - Nestor Carbonell: He was one of the assasins in Smokin Aces and I thought that he had a very dark mysterious quality to him. I think he looked like the original Gaff also.
Lost_5.jpg

Roy Batty - Paul Bettany: This one I actually like. He looks the spitting image of Batty and he has the ability to play a cold robotic enemy who gains humanity at the end of the film.
PaulBettany.gif

Leon Kowalski - Dwayne Johnson (The Rock): He's supposed to be a big strong guy but it (Wiki) said he shows some intellegence in the film. The Rock can pull off the big guy act and can show some deep seeded intellegence.
Sarge.jpg

Rachel - Ann Hathaway: I think she looks a lot like the original actress, plus she can play the love interest of Deckard while still struggling with her false memories and emotions. I think this would be a good role for her.
anne-hathaway-blue.jpg

Dr. Eldon Tyrell - William H. Macy: I think he could be the guy that plays the innocent part throughout the majority of the film. That's until he's revealed as a sinister figure at the end. Macy can switch emotions pretty quickly and Macy has never looked like a guy who could be sinister, that's why it would be surprising.
William_H_Macy.jpg

I was bored so I did this, I'm not really sure if any of these pepole are close so I'll just throw this out there. It didn't look like there were many entries on this and I wanted this to keep going so I could actually work on something I know about.

I haven't looked at the entries, and I haven't thought about it, but I'm so going to do this one.

BWADE WUNNER​

Elmer Fudd as Wick Deckard
elmer_fudd.jpg

Rocky and Mugsy as Gaff and Captain Bryant
Rocky_and_Mugsy.jpg

Yosemite Sam as Eldon Tywell
sam.gif

Granny as JF Sebastian
180px-Granny_Looney_Tunes.png

The Weplicants;

Bugs Bunny as Woy Batty
205px-Bugs_Bunny1.jpg

Daffy Duck as Pristh
daffy.png

Pepe Le Pew as Le Zhora
Pepe.gif

Sylvester as Leon Kowalsthki
sylv_sq.jpg

Tweety Pie as The Owl in Tyrell's office
tweety_pie.jpg

and of course,
Bugs Bunny as Wachel
wopera.jpg

I was told by a friend that Warner Bros actually was going to do a Blade Runner parody with Daffy as Deckard, but he suggested that Deckard should be Elmer Fudd, hence "Bwade Wunner". Thinking this hysterical, then coming and seeing this thread, I decided to share that brilliant idea with you all.

Last edited:

BWADE WUNNER​

Elmer Fudd as Rick Deckard
elmer_fudd.jpg

Rocky and Mugsy as Gaff and Captain Bryant
Rocky_and_Mugsy.jpg

Yosemite Sam as Eldon Tyrell
sam.gif

Granny as JF Sebastian
180px-Granny_Looney_Tunes.png

The Weplicants;

Bugs Bunny as Roy Batty
205px-Bugs_Bunny1.jpg

Daffy Duck as Pristh
daffy.png

Pepe Le Pew as Le Zhora
Pepe.gif

Sylvester as Leon Kowalsthki
sylv_sq.jpg

Tweety Pie as The Owl in Tyrell's office
tweety_pie.jpg

and of course,
Bugs Bunny as Rachel
wopera.jpg

I was told by a friend that Warner Bros actually was going to do a Blade Runner parody with Daffy as Deckard, but he suggested that Deckard should be Elmer Fudd, hence "Bwade Wunner". Thinking this hysterical, then coming and seeing this thread, I decided to share that brilliant idea with you all.

Bass wins.

That'd be nice... They should do it. And put it at the front of the 25th anniversary theatrical release they're supposed to be doing.

Rick Deckard - I used to hate the idea, but I think Josh Hartnett is the "new" Harrison Ford. He may have started out in "teen" movies but he's made the transition. Even with a bit part in Sin City he was gold, and he's going to be in 30 Days of Night which will kick ***, period. So he's the one, for sure.

Gaff - William Forsythe just because. He's like the white Edward James Olmos. Less of the pineapple face, though.

Roy Batty - Paul Bettany. He's got the albinoish look of the Rutger Hauer original and the definite acting chops. Shoe-in. Easiest choice, by far.

Leon Kowalski - Jake Busey. Ugliness factor, check... plus, he's a better actor than his father... much respect to Gary, though.

Rachel - Courtney Cox. Despite her marriage to David Arquette (!?!) and the fact that a lot of people only remember her from Friends and/or her lovely dancing in Bruce Springsteen's video for "Dancing in the Dark", she's not a half-bad actress. 3000 Miles to Graceland has been hailed by critics as "an enormous mound of wildebeest ****" but hey, she did a pretty good job. She's not real far off in looks from a young Sean Young (GET IT?) either.

Dr. Eldon Tyrell - Ed Harris FTW. Watch the Truman Show. Just wach Ed Harris. He's a cold, calculating bastard.

BONUS:

Pris - Bryce Dallas Howard. She might not be as hot as a young Daryl Hannah, but she's close enough. Beautiful and pale-skinned, works perfect for a replicant.

Courteny Cox is too old for both the part and Hartnett.

Other than that, however, I think you've got this round in the bag. Your Replicant picks are especially superb(kudos to bluebeast for the first suggestion of Bettany.... hands down the perfect choice for the role), and Harris would kick so much *** as Tyrell.

Throw in Emerson as Sebastien, and this is a remake I'd be very excited to see.

Bass wins in an interesting sort of way, because I'd genuinely like to see a Looney Toons parody of Blade Runner more than I'd like to see an actual remake, because the original is almost perfect.

However.... I disagree with his specific casting choices, mainly because I think it would be more fun starring Daffy as Dack Duckard and Fudd as Pol. Cpn. Bryant.

Dude - Elmer Fudd is Wick Deckard. "Be vewy, vewy quiet - I'm hunting weplicants." And then the big reveal that Woy Batty is Wachel.

Dammit. It's better than Shakespeare.

Courteny Cox is too old for both the part and Hartnett.

Other than that, however, I think you've got this round in the bag. Your Replicant picks are especially superb(kudos to bluebeast for the first suggestion of Bettany.... hands down the perfect choice for the role), and Harris would kick so much *** as Tyrell.

Throw in Emerson as Sebastien, and this is a remake I'd be very excited to see.

Courtney Cox isn't too old for the part OR Hartnett. The May-December nature of the relationship (and you can look that "May-December" thing up but it basically means the Mrs. Robinson, Demi Moore/Ashton Kutcher thing which is older/younger relationship) may add to the edginess of the film, which is one of the reasons it was so cool when it came out back in 1982. BTW, this is the first movie my mom and I bought on VHS when we bought our first VCR. I have fond memories of watching this movie almost every day from the ages of 6-10.

Latest posts

Back