DreamMOVIE #1: The Spielberg/Lucas hit machine!

marvelman

Alright, I really couldn't decide as to what to do for this one, and I had mixed responses as to which option to do... Star Wars IV or Back to the Future... then I thought about Indiana Jones and had a HARDER time deciding.

So here's what we're gonna do. You have three options, all three of which had some influence from Steven Spielberg/George Lucas. This is gonna be pretty complicated, though. You can recast an old movie, as this round originally was, OR you can build a new movie.

And that's the other thing. Should you build up a new movie, you have to pitch the movie to your audience. It can be a brief pitch, or an Ourchair-esque pitch. Should you recast an old movie, indicate so, and we will assume that the plot is the same. Try to recast all the MAJOR roles, though.

Whomever's MOVIE, cast and all, is deemed the best by the most people will be declared the winner. This is kinda a big experiment, and it may not work, but we'll find out.

Rules
1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) Participants may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film/TV ones.

3) After the time period set by the moderator, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

The deadline time is in 7 days (November 19, 11:59 p.m. US East Coast Time). Voting will last for three days (November 20, 12:00 a.m. EST-November 22, 11:59 p.m. EST)

Options
Indiana Jones
You MUST cast:
Indiana Jones
and that's it, if you make a new movie. Everything else is up to you.

Back To The Future
You MUST cast:
Marty McFly
Doctor Emmet Brown

Star Wars
Episode IV: A New Hope (only this one though) / New Star Wars installment
You MUST cast (for Ep. IV):
Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia
Darth Vader
Obi-Wan/Ben Kenobi
Han Solo
and everyone else is optional.

For a NEW Star Wars installment, it's all up to you.

DO NOT FORGET, in addition to providing a cast, you must pitch a movie (however briefly) for new takes. If you do not, your cast will not be taken under consideration, and all votes for that movie will be disqualified. For remakes, a cast is all you need and you only need to recast one of the movies from the series.

I believe this will encourage further inventiveness, and those who can pitch a good, interesting new movie will be rewarded.

We'll see how it works out, eh?

ALSO:

You may only make one movie. If you make more than one, you will be disqualified.

Look at it this way- You're either Spielberg or Lucas, and you have enough money to make one and only one AWESOME movie... you've decided it has to be a sequel to one of these franchises, but WHICH ONE?! You decide.

So,
Things you MUST do:
Pick 1 and only 1 of the 3 movies
Cast it (remakes must have full casts and be a remake of only one movie from the series) and provide reasons for casting if you feel it is needed
If it is a new movie, as opposed to a remake, provide a plot synopsis

Things to get you disqualified:
Casting more than one movie
Not having a substantial cast for a remake (aka half-assing it)
No plot synopsis for new movies

Last edited:
Re: DreamMOVIE #12: The Spielberg/Lucas hit machine!

eh...

We'll see if this works or not, but I'm going with Star Wars.

It's cool, I prefer pitching a movie than just a cast. Hope it works out

I think it's kind of silly for us to all pit different movies against one another.

Can't we just do one?

Also, you can't call it "The Spielberg/Lucas Machine" since the capacity in which either of them were involved in these movies is too widely differing.

Lucas had nothing to do with Back to the Future and Spielberg was only producer.

And Spielberg had nothing to do with Star Wars.

Granted they all have either Spielberg OR Lucas in them, but in an INCONSISTENT capacity.

Last edited:

I think it's kind of silly for us to all pit different movies against one another.

Can't we just do one?

Also, you can't call it "The Spielberg/Lucas Machine" since the capacity in which either of them were involved in these movies is too widely differing.

Lucas had nothing to do with Back to the Future and Spielberg was only producer.

And Spielberg had nothing to do with Star Wars.

Granted they all have either Spielberg OR Lucas in them, but in an INCONSISTENT capacity.

quit your complaining and try it out.

also, no **** about the capacity of spielberg and lucas in the films. serially.:roll: I was just trying to place a connection between the three, as a guideline for future installments where a choice must be made, should this work out.

just try it out, i think it'll work out, and be immensely interesting. you pitch such amazing movies anyways, right? ;)

Last edited:

quit your complaining and try it out.

also, no **** about the capacity of spielberg and lucas in the films. serially.:roll: I was just trying to place a connection between the three, as a guideline for future installments where a choice must be made, should this work out.
I was just being a smart *** being smart assed about something that has nothing to do with anything.

That said, I think it's a little silly. I'm totally fine with the idea of people doing remake pitches as opposed to just casts, though this should only be an occasional thing, but I think it's faintly ridiculous to put say Ultimate Houde's Back to the Future vs. Dr. Strangefate's Star Wars instead of say VVD's Indiana Jones vs. Bass's Indiana Jones.

Just one film, man. We're already going to do a pitch and putting them on such wildly different parameters is insane.

alrighty, if Bass agrees with you, so be it; if not, it'll stay.

I just think it'll be interesting to see a number of different movies pitched; I mean, you can only describe and pitch a certain number of exciting Indiana Jones stories, or Star Wars films... they only get so varied.

"So in this, Episode 7, the Jedis are coming back and Luke has to battle a new evil!!"

I think we'll get a lot of that if we just stick to one movie, whereas, in this form, the voters are kind of like the production company board, and each movie pitch is like an effort for THAT movie to be made as opposed to all the others.

Anyways, I would LIKE to see it given a shot, but we'll leave it up to Bass ultimately (and also, I agree it shouldnt be an all-the-time thing).

alrighty, if Bass agrees with you, so be it; if not, it'll stay.
I think it should be a consensus point of agreement, honestly.

marvelman said:
I just think it'll be interesting to see a number of different movies pitched; I mean, you can only describe and pitch a certain number of exciting Indiana Jones stories, or Star Wars films... they only get so varied.
Fair point. :)

In all honesty though, I think a lot of creativity can be had even if they're all pitching the same property. Star Wars managed to write put Luke and the gang in a lot of stories --- not that all of them were good mind you --- within the post-Jedi novel spin offs without being completely stale and recycled. True, Luke's character arc 'ended' with Jedi, but they pretty much found an angle for him in the novels by having him explore the galaxy for fringe practitioners of the Force and his attempts to resurrect the nigh-extinct Jedi traditions.

Indiana Jones has near limitless adventures simply because you can tap into a whole mine of mythohistorical artifacts of legendary repute. I mean even after they told dozens of stories in the Young Indy Chronicles, they still managed to make him travel to the Philippines and race against Soviets searching for a space-time device, discover energy-dense gold pellets in the Mediterranean and search all over East Asia for a dragon pearl in the tomb of Shi Huang Ti.

The only property that seems to have some problem is Back to the Future because both Marty & Doc have had their character arcs come to an end and so the challenge is to find something new to do with the characters AND have it play off the time travel exploits whether or not one chooses to have them visit future/past versions of themselves and their ancestors and descendants.

Indiana Jones Trilogy

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Cast :

Indiana Jones – James Van Der Beek – This is a weird choice I'll admit , But the way I see it if someone like Tobey Maguire can do action scenes in Spider-man anyone can (in a good way) , So instead of looking for someone who was good at action I looked for someone who can show intelligence , Indiana was after all a professor. So if you pick a guy who can't show the intelligence you are loosing an important aspect of the character.

Marion Ravenwood – Leah Remini – Marion is a tough woman who can look after her self. This is where Leah Remini is great. I honestly couldn't think of anyone better suited for role.

Sallah – Christian Clavier – Sallah was and odd kind of comic relief character , That is something Christian Clavier has mastered over the years. It just seems like a natural fit for him.
Marcus Brody – Michael Caine – the museum a museum curator, and buys whatever artifacts Indiana obtains. A somewhat throw a away character who is also a main one of sorts so I picked Michael Caine as he would make the character someone you would remember.
Rene Belloq – Christopher McDonald – A rival to Indiana who in my version would just be a complete *** hole like Christopher McDonald does so well , This would also make villain/rival into a more likeable but also hate able character.

Colonel Dietrich – Jean Reno – He is great in almost everything and has done a few different accents , I think he would make a good Nazi officer.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Wilhelmina 'Willie' Scott – Catherine Zeta-Jones – Willie was a club singer and love interest of Indiana , She was good in a similar role in Zoro (the love interest) and the singer bit in Chicag , Combine the two and add a few other elements and Catherine Zeta-Jones is the only logical choice.

Short Round – Taylor Lautner – I'll admit this choice is only because he was the only person I could think of who fitted with in a similar age/race range. Maybe not the exact age and race but close enough , plus from Sharkboy and Lavagirl he can do action.

Lao Che – Ken Watanabe – He is great in everything I've seen him. The character of Lao Che may not have been in the film much but Ken Watanabe would make the character bold and intimidating as if this crime boss can and will kill you if you cross him.

Kao Kan – Shin Koyamada – Now in original the character was a "bloodthirsty Chinese gangster" I however see this character in my version as a sympathetic villain in that he only wants to impress his father even if he is going about it wrong.

Last edited:

Chen – Robin Shou – This casting is because Robin Shou from mortal kombat and a few other films is normally a main character so when he dies in the film it will be a case of "Anything can happen" feel to it.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Professor Henry Jones – Harrison Ford – Passing of the torch.

Colonel Vogel – Stuart Townsend – I know the character is meant to be your typical nazi However I wanted him portrayed by a non-German person so that it looks like he could have well been a traitor , Now if he played the character like he did Lestat it would be a pretty interesting and somewhat new approach

Last edited:

I'm going to do Back to Indiana Episode IV: A New Future. In which our hero, Marty Skywalker, flies an X-Wing with a flux capacitor to a long, long time ago (1955) in a galaxy far, far away (Gary, Indiana) to save the ark of the Jedi from Nazi Stormtroopers.

This movie will pretty much set all box-office records.

Last edited:

I'm going to do Back to Indiana Episode IV: A New Future. In which our hero, Marty Skywalker, flies an X-Wing with a flux capacitor to a long, long time ago (1955) in a galaxy far, far away (Gary, Indiana) to save the ark of the Jedi from Nazi Stormtroopers.

I approve of this.

I was trying to think of a way to mix up all franchises in a serious fashion actually.

But what was I thinking?

Being insanely demented is still perfectly valid in my book.

BRILLIANT! :lol:

also, Mole, please pick ONE of those movies to be taken under consideration for judging. you can still keep the others up, but just indicate which you want judged.

Also: Nobody should ever remake Temple of Doom

Latest posts

Back