DreamMovie #18: When You Wish Upon a Star...

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
Check it... Here's a good one.

1. The winner of this round becomes the moderator of the next round and gets to choose the subject for the next round. Winner may also declare whether it is animated or a live-action.

2. You may use actors who have played a role before, but only if it's a sequel/prequel/requel, though you'll have to describe your new plot.

3. After the declared time period, the round will be declared closed and people may vote via PM to the moderator, who will declare a winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4. This is open for two weeks, but I may extend for another week if people need more time.

So here's the shake. The name of the game is creating

Disney's Next Animated Feature Film Blockbuster

Special Rules:

1. It can be based on folklore or fairy tale (i.e. Snow White, Aladdin), existing literature (Rescuers, The Jungle Book), or be entirely new (The Lion King, that stupid movie with talking cows).

2. You need to cast, as a minimum: a lead, a sidekick, a romantic interest, and a villain.

3. Establish a style of animation that matches the story. It can combine different styles of animation (CGI, traditional, even the addition of live action elements), but needs to fit the mood. Go for something spectacular, like the influence of Rococo style in the upcoming Rapunzel.

Cool this round will be fun.

entirely new (The Lion King, that stupid movie with talking cows).

Not to be nit-picky but lion king was not entirely new. They even admit on the dvd they reworked Shakespeare with it (most noticeable Hamlet) and some other stories. I would say it's a loose adaptation/tribute. (On a similar note Lion king 2 : simba's pride, is done the same with Romeo and juliet)

I'm only pointing this out as I think I'll try and do mine in a similar way with either Shakespeare or greek mythology. Try and make it something cool like the lion king.

Not to be nit-picky but lion king was not entirely new. They even admit on the dvd they reworked Shakespeare with it (most noticeable Hamlet) and some other stories. I would say it's a loose adaptation/tribute. (On a similar note Lion king 2 : simba's pride, is done the same with Romeo and juliet)

:roll:

Even I decided against posting that nitpick, Mole.

Although... since I'm posting in this thread, I might as well mention that a lot of it was drawn from African folktales as well.

IT'S A VALID POINT! :x

It's so not a valid point.

Calling the Lion King an adaptation of Hamlet is like calling Pokemon an adaptation of the Odyssey.

Besides, if anything, it was stolen from some old Japanese cartoon.

Last edited:

That is some. But only characters and the way scenes look. The story (which is must important) is actually mostly Hamlet (all be it loosely) Which is cool.

But anyway I won't be doing this round as I came up with what I thought was a great animated film, However it was more "Urotsukidoji : Legend Of The Overfiend" than "Bambi" and figured "Damn it, It's good but it's not Disney family fun.

In the end I've given up

It's so not a valid point.

Calling the Lion King an adaptation of Hamlet is like calling Pokemon an adaptation of the Odyssey.

Besides, if anything, it was stolen from some old Japanese cartoon.

He's technically right. Same with the Lion King 2 being a loose adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. And Lion King 1 1/2 was a loose adaptation of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

It's all semantics, though.

It's all semantics, though.

It's not so much semantics as what they were intending with the film. It's a fairly direct adaptation of Hamlet, with a happy ending. King Mufasa/King Hamlet is killed by his brother Scar/Claudius, who covers it up to become king himself. Prince Simba/Prince Hamlet goes down a self-destructive path, when Nala/Ophelia tries to reason with him (the differing results here are the biggest deviation other than the ending, also she isn't the daughter of Zazu/Polonius). Simba/Hamlet then overthrows and kills Scar/Claudius.

The bones of the plot are there.

I'm thinking of doing something really funky, but I'm still pretty pressed for time at the moment.

I think we should further condense the Dreamcasting stuff and just merge this with the main thread. Either that, or just take a break from all of it for a while since interest is low and we're all busy.

It's not so much semantics as what they were intending with the film. It's a fairly direct adaptation of Hamlet, with a happy ending.

So, they take a Shakespearean tragedy and make it a .... not.... tragedy....

I mean, don't get me wrong. I love the Lion King, and a straighter adaptation of Hamlet wouldn't have worked as a kid's movie. But I don't really consider a plot stripped of subtext to be an adaptation.

Proj said:
I think we should further condense the Dreamcasting stuff and just merge this with the main thread. Either that, or just take a break from all of it for a while since interest is low and we're all busy.

Agreed.

Last edited:
I don't remember this at all. In fact, earlier today, I was thinking about a Walt Disney Superman flick.

Latest posts

Back