Dredd - Discussion/Rumours

Gothamite

So this is definitely happening and has started filming.

urbandredd21.jpg

I don't like it. It just looks like a cheap fan-film costume. The helmet looks like it's too big for Karl Urban's head. And predictably, he looks too young. I would have cast Jeff Bridges or Mickey Rourke. And if the 1995 version had never been made, I would have cast 2010 Stallone in a heartbeat.

I know how much everyone hates the Stallone version. It's a silly film and it craps thick and fast all over the mythos, but I can't help but love it anyway. After all, the world of Mega City One isn't nearly as grim and serious as its fanboys would like it to be.

I hope this one doesn't take itself too seriously.

Last edited:
I'm not a Judge Dredd fan, and the only story of his I've read was a Batman crossover about a magical hippie dome.

So yes, I agree this shouldn't take itself that seriously. I always saw Dredd as a parody of anti-heroes, anyway.

I know almost nothing about Judge Dredd but I am excited for this.

Saw Dredd 3d tonight. I loved it. While it wasn't an overly deep story it did a great job portraying the world and the violence. Good film I felt.

Me too. I saw this then LOOPER and I felt this was a lot more fun (though I enjoyed LOOPER). I hope there's a sequel.

Bass said:
Me too. I saw this then LOOPER and I felt this was a lot more fun (though I enjoyed LOOPER). I hope there's a sequel.

I look forward to seeing this. I've been a fan of the Dredd comics for years so looking forward to seeing how they approached it.

On a side note, also saw Looper and it was good, but Primer is still the best (and most realistic) time travel movie ever made. Check it out if you haven't seen it. I say this as a consummate Back to the Future fan, but Primer is far more realistic and intelligent vs any other time travel movie I've seen.

Fun fact: Shane Carruth, the director of Primer, supposedly consulted on the time travel mechanics in Looper.

Latest posts

Back