E3 Cancelled

Sacred&Profane

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e3-canceled-for-next-year-and-beyond/

Next-Gen has the scoop: Doug Lowenstein, the president of the Entertainment Software Association is expected to announce within the next 48 hours that E3, the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the definitive video games show, has been cancelled. Industry sources have told Next-Gen that the reasoning behind this move is primarily one of cost versus return. Publishers aren't getting the media attention that they expect from the large amounts of cash that they're putting down to exhibit at the show.

Apparently publishers believe that the multi-million dollar budgets allocated to E3 would be better used on smaller, specific shows where publishers get all the limelight. There's the possibility of a smaller show taking place in May next year, but as Next-Gen puts it, "it's clear that the days of an industry event attended by all the major publishers, spending big money, are gone."

:( Crap.

If they were smart, they'd let regular Joes into these smaller shows.

E said:
If they were smart, they'd let regular Joes into these smaller shows.

That's the main problem I think they fell upon. Ticketing to stuff like that is so limited to the public that average Joes don't have a chance to get in and see the stuff.

I mean these are your key audience. Not the game magazine editors and journalists. They get premiere coverage all year long.....have at least one day for them to experience all the new shows/demos.....then let the rest of the crowd in the rest of the days.

They could totally get away with overpriced souvenirs and drinks. Meh....I'm rambling now.

If you were lucky to get a ticket, it'd cost you $500. And if you wanted to be there all 7 days (when they did 7 days), that's $3,500.

I *was* going to go this year for free, but that didn't work out. :(

aw crap that's bad news :sad:
So how are developers going to show their next big thing? Do they really think that they will be able to show their next big hits at the smaller that they said would happen next may?

Victor Von Doom said:
That's the main problem I think they fell upon. Ticketing to stuff like that is so limited to the public that average Joes don't have a chance to get in and see the stuff.

I mean these are your key audience. Not the game magazine editors and journalists. They get premiere coverage all year long.....have at least one day for them to experience all the new shows/demos.....then let the rest of the crowd in the rest of the days.

They could totally get away with overpriced souvenirs and drinks. Meh....I'm rambling now.
I totally agree. I've read in game magazines that there are tons of non-industry people who manage to sneak in or find some free way to do it. It's not like there's a lack of people who would want to go there.

This is sad. Sure, the companies can just do their own shows (I believe Nintendo has their own big expo in Japan every fall), but what about all the show, the competition of it? It would be like if comic book conventions were banned and Marvel and DC and the other companies just started doing their own shows.

I just read an article about this...it isn't like E3 is gone for good, just thats its being approached in a new way and probably toned down, and made smaller to focus it on the really important people/press, as opposed to the over-priced circus it turned into. More focusing on the actual subject than illusory and pointless gimmicks...hey...almost sounds like what Nintendo's doing in the games industry versus Sony and Microsoft!

So anyway, E3 isn't gone for good.

Who cares, you're gonna buy video games regardless of what people say anyways.

*waits for Ice to counter-argue* :p

DIrishB said:
I just read an article about this...it isn't like E3 is gone for good, just thats its being approached in a new way and probably toned down, and made smaller to focus it on the really important people/press, as opposed to the over-priced circus it turned into. More focusing on the actual subject than illusory and pointless gimmicks...hey...almost sounds like what Nintendo's doing in the games industry versus Sony and Microsoft!

So anyway, E3 isn't gone for good.
NINTENDO PWNS SONY AND MICROSOFT.

I was never going to go to one of these things anyway. Therefore, it doesn't matter.

Im still upset about this. I was finally gonna go next year. I always wanted to go. A little story:

I got a call from a buddy of mine who was like yo i got some E3 tickets (this year) if you want them cause he couldnt go. They were for that friday. All i had to do was go pick em up. He lives in O.C and I'm in L.A about 10-15 min from the staplescenter and convention center. I didnt care i was ready to go pick them up.The thing is i had to work the next day and i called out the friday before. So i called up my boy, told him the situation, but he had to work too. I was like say the word, and i'll call out again. He was like nah, i gotta go to work. So in the end, i didnt go. And this news happends. The moral of the story kids, when the opertunities arise, call out.

Latest posts

Back