Fantastic 4 cartoon News

Is this some sort of Asian inside joke?!

F4 is also the name of a Taiwanese boy band who are relatively popular all over East Asia. I was under the (mistaken) impression that they had a cross-over following in the US on the basis that they performed a song on the Lilo And Stitch soundtrack.

compound said:
F4 is also the name of a Taiwanese boy band who are relatively popular all over East Asia. I was under the (mistaken) impression that they had a cross-over following in the US on the basis that they performed a song on the Lilo And Stitch soundtrack.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

I don't know about how id did in the rest of the world, but over here I believe L&S was a relative flop for a Disney film.

UltimateE said:

I don't know about how id did in the rest of the world, but over here I believe L&S was a relative flop for a Disney film.
Lilo & Stitch may have been a critically well received commercial flop for Disney but I always thought that it did decent enough international box office for people to at least remember some of its music. Not to mention that some people might remember the music being in heavy rotation on Disney Channel's music spots and MTV promotional slots at the time of its release.

On the other hand, doesn't Johnny from Greg Land's illustrations of Ultimate Fantastic Four sport hair that is even more Asian pop friendly than this guy? Granted he's a blond but hey, that makes him look even more like a guy with East Asian cool.

UltimateE said:

Lilo & Stitch a flop? I don't think so. As far as I know it topped the first week in the US Box Office and was the last Disney hand-drawn flick that made money.

I don't think Disney would bother making a made-for-TV sequel for the movie and an entire television series if it bombed. I'm not sure how well the TV shows succeeded though, and I didn't like that it turned L&S into "Pokemon in Hawaii".

Back to topic, I'm interested in this new F4 cartoon. At least it's a reinterpretation of them, not just a rehash of the comic books like the 90's Marvel shows.

cmdrjanjalani said:
Lilo & Stitch a flop? I don't think so. As far as I know it topped the first week in the US Box Office and was the last Disney hand-drawn flick that made money.

I said "relative flop" as in it didn't do nearly as well as other Disney animated films. And all Disney movies have "made money" so I'm not sure what you mean.

Random said:
What...the...hell...

That's what I thought when I first read the title of this thread... I like the anime inspired art, although Reed doesn't look remotely anime to me. We'll have to see how this gois.

cmdrjanjalani said:

I don't think Disney would bother making a made-for-TV sequel for the movie and an entire television series if it bombed. I'm not sure how well the TV shows succeeded though, and I didn't like that it turned L&S into "Pokemon in Hawaii".
I agree with you on the first point, but I'd like to point out that Disney has consistently made a made-for-TV/home video sequel to just about ALL of their properties: Beauty and the Beast: Enchanted Christmas, two Aladdin TV movies, two Lion King sequels, etc.

Now all of those properties have at least earned money but it seems that they're hardly discriminate about which franchises they spin off. My impression is that Disney is merely trying to earn money through tertiary markets like home video, regardless of how successful a property is perceived to be, simply because home video is actually a very profitable division for a company that deals with family friendly properties.

Here are some newFF sketches for the new animated series. It looks like they're trying to give it an urban look.

ourchair said:
I agree with you on the first point, but I'd like to point out that Disney has consistently made a made-for-TV/home video sequel to just about ALL of their properties: Beauty and the Beast: Enchanted Christmas, two Aladdin TV movies, two Lion King sequels, etc.

Wow...you know entirely too much about Disney movies and the company's business practices. Do you also know how many Brady Bunch episodes there were off the top of your head? Just wondering. ;)

Re: Fantastic 4... cartoon

I don't hate the new look.......but I am wary of it.

I have a feeling that I'll love it...but this'll fall flat like MTV's Spiderman series (which I also loved.........kinda :oops: ).......

Victor Von Doom said:
but this'll fall flat like MTV's Spiderman series (which I also loved.........kinda :oops: ).......

The style and animation was good, everything else...sucked.

Random said:
The style and animation was good, everything else...sucked.

I totally agree.

Latest posts

Back