Fantastic Four Movie discussion (SPOILERS)

ngnot said:
As for the DVD, I also can't wait for it, all though I wouldn't mind seeing it again, the kids and 'tards in the theater really took away from the whole expeirence :x
Same here. I hope they go director's cut on the DVD instead of stuffing all the deleted scenes into a separate track. It's become blatantly obvious where the deleted scenes go and which ones they were if you watched every single damn trailer and promo spot like I did.

They were going to review it on newsnight's late review (A kinda mid-high brow review show) this evening, but didn't bother because it wasn't good enough.

And they reviewed mr. and mrs. smith a few weeks back too.

I haven't seen it yet.

obviously.

Right, I've just acquired a copy so I'll be watching it in full tomorrow. But I did just watch the first 5 mins and thought it was crappy. :)

But, I do change my mind on movies, I expected Sin City to be drab but really enjoyed it so who knows what I'll think.

It does look trash though, and Alba has annoyed me already.

What a pile of tosh.

Just another case of a story being made dumb because it's a comic.
The prejudice of the industry against comic book stories has to be changing, it has to be. With Sin City and Batman Begins this year, and with Spiderman 2 last year, we've seen that superheroes don't mean dumb, so why do the studios seem to insist on it? Sure, appealing to a wider audience by making something less challenging works up to a point, the Fantastic Four is the point in hand.

Doctor Von Doom, the guy sees himself as an emperor, as a god, he's the inspiration behind Darth Vader amongst others and is one of the most feared bad guys in comic for the last 40 years. So why wasn't he scary?
For a story about two scientific geniuses battling it out with their wits as much as their powers, why was it so dumb?

The movie just seemed one step up from the Roger Corman effort, but in that took itself below it, because that was at least so bad that it was good.
It felt made for TV, and the only decent moment of characterisation was Johnny Storm getting Ben to slap cream in his own face.

Gruffudd and Evans did their jobs ok, Alba and Chilkis were terrible.

I don't know where I'd vote this on a scale of 10, but it's somewhere between Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Batman and Robin. If you loved those, then you must love this. There was absolutely nothing there to keep my attention.

Guijllons said:
What a pile of tosh.

Just another case of a story being made dumb because it's a comic.
The prejudice of the industry against comic book stories has to be changing, it has to be. With Sin City and Batman Begins this year, and with Spiderman 2 last year, we've seen that superheroes don't mean dumb, so why do the studios seem to insist on it? Sure, appealing to a wider audience by making something less challenging works up to a point, the Fantastic Four is the point in hand.

Doctor Von Doom, the guy sees himself as an emperor, as a god, he's the inspiration behind Darth Vader amongst others and is one of the most feared bad guys in comic for the last 40 years. So why wasn't he scary?
For a story about two scientific geniuses battling it out with their wits as much as their powers, why was it so dumb?

The movie just seemed one step up from the Roger Corman effort, but in that took itself below it, because that was at least so bad that it was good.
It felt made for TV, and the only decent moment of characterisation was Johnny Storm getting Ben to slap cream in his own face.

Gruffudd and Evans did their jobs ok, Alba and Chilkis were terrible.

I don't know where I'd vote this on a scale of 10, but it's somewhere between Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Batman and Robin. If you loved those, then you must love this. There was absolutely nothing there to keep my attention.
"You are tough!" - Will Farrell

For the first time, I saw the movie yesterday... I thought it was good and it really seemed to capture the Fantastic Four in their essense, but there was a lot to be desired. The characters were all fleshed out well, neglecting Doom, who I thought was a rehashed Norman Osborn, and the fame and glory was well illustrated, although, at times, I thought it was forced... The bridge would give them 15 minutes of fame, not a life time's worth. Sure they have now, by the end of the movie, saved the city, but in the beginning of the movie it wasn't happening so freely as I thought it should have. I guess it was mostly Johnny kicking up dirt, but the crowds just didn't go away. Ben was the coolest character, Chiklis was born to play him, and I the rest of the Four were good, too. Surprisingly, I had little problem with Sue.

One big complaint, though, is the movie's similarities to Spider-Man. It was like Spider-Man with three other people attached at the hip. Some of the scenes and story lines ran dangerously close to this movie and that didn't go well. This movie needed to stand on its own two feet and, sadly, I don't think it did.

7 out of 10.

FF made 7 mill this weekend, bringing its total to 136 million dollars.

This is pretty annoying, ain't it? But not as much as ProjectX2's constant score updater in that character game. (I keed, I keed little dog little joke :wink: )

ultimatedjf said:
FF made 7 mill this weekend, bringing its total to 136 million dollars.

This is pretty annoying, ain't it? But not as much as ProjectX2's constant score updater in that character game. (I keed, I keed little dog little joke :wink: )

Argh, the Character Battle thing only happens every few months. So if you can't keep up with updated posts every day for around a month, don't look in that thread. On the other hand, every movie thread has you doing this. :wink:

Hi, ourchair.

As you know, I'm another total Fantastic Four Fan. (Total Ultimate Fantastic Four fan. Geez...) So I looked at the movie in that kindly light. I enjoyed it, I saw it twice, and I bought the DVD the day it came out and I enjoy that too.

The movie you reviewed - excellent review! - reads a lot like the movie I saw. Not totally, because two people never see a movie exactly the same, but close. It's good, but not great. 6/10 from me.

The introduction of the characters was fast and good. There could not have been a better way to say hello to Johnny Storm than the stunt with him on his bike kissing his girl in the car. :D

I liked that we went by a direct path to the origin, merely alluding to events in the past. But I thought the fantastic event wasn't fantastic enough. I would have liked the space scenes to be flashier, and ideally to have no gravity, or some substitute for that, like clunky magnetic boots and/or tethers. I'm not asking for real science. There is no real science in the Fantastic Four, and I'm cool with that. Just make the environment seem more exotic, please. Make it more unusual, more fun.

The pseudo-science was lamer than it had to be. The temperatures for the Human Torch were silly, and there was no need for numbers at all. Doom and Reed quoting "Chemistry 101" at each other was weak. Since when is Reed made of rubber? He seems more to represent water. And what does happen when you rapidly cool hot metal, is Victor Von Doom being paralysed the typical consequence? This dialogue must have been hard to say. It was hard to listen to. The story did not need it.

I thought the fantastic family should have been slightly more loving and less dysfunctional. And there should have been a greater sense of fun. One more positive scene would have done it. Ben and Alicia might have added the extra touch of people successfully learning to get on with each other that I wanted.

But overall the movie was already good. I liked the breakfast table scene. That was pure Fantastic Four. And the Torch nailing the Thing with the duster and cream was perfect!

I will defend Jessica Alba, even though the crack about "Scientist Barbie with a Malibu Beach tan" is dead on the mark. As soon as I heard that Jessica Alba was going to be Sue Storm, I thought, against the people who told me the "bad" news" that this would work, and it mostly did. Sue Storm is a part that calls for drop dead beautiful, not a very good actress and pretty enough, like Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson. Also, it was life and death that the actress be willing to open a comic book, form a reasonable opinion about who she was playing, and do her level best to put that character on screen. The Fantastic Four could not afford a Halle Berry. Jessica Alba is drop dead beautiful, she has a solid grasp of her character, and she put an honest effort in. Good enough for me.

I though Michael Chiklis rocked - I thought he was better than Chris Evans, which is saying a lot. The rubber suit was fine. The scene where he could not pick up his engagement ring because of his rocky fingers was touching.

Yes he could have used another scene for the transformation - but he did get to make an explosive entrance later. The missing scene was not nearly as bad a flaw as Anna Paquin not getting an emotional scene to show Rogue giving up her power in X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) - after which of course there was and could be no big, crashing scene for her.

I didn't like the Fantastic Four movie's Victor von Doom once he transformed. A bunch of what was wrong seemed completely unnecessary, just bad presentation. His mask was good but not quite there. His open coat and generally absent hood were bad, and there was no reason not to get them right. When he was wearing the mask, a human voice wasn't enough, and an electronically treated voice would have been better. There was no reason to have him firing lightning bolts always from arms hanging limply from his sides.

I have a serious case of envy for the kind of movie that Batman fans got in 2005, and for the two movies Spider-Man fans have gotten. I think the Hulk and X-Men movies are much better than Fantastic Four (2005) too. But, the movie was still more good than bad for a Fantastic Four fan.

I look forward eagerly to sequels, preferably with the Fantastic Four flare pistols, the Fantasticar, a wedding, etcetera. :smile:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Last edited:
ultimatedjf said:
Wow. Fantastic Four had a bigger opening weekend at the box office than Superman Returns did.
Really?

FF's Opening Weekend: $56,061,504

SR's Estimated Opening Weekend: $84,208,000

Wow. Is that 260 M$ budget accurate?

Because it looks like The Devil Wears Prada will turn out to be a much more profitable movie than SR.

I saw it btw. Liked it.

ultimatedjf said:
It's 5-day total is still $84 million.
Wow. Is that 260 M$ budget accurate?
Not necessarily. The movie cost less than $200 million to make. $60 million was sunk into the series' various false starts, before SR was greenlit.

moonmaster said:
It's 5-day total is still $84 million.

Not necessarily. The movie cost less than $200 million to make. $60 million was sunk into the series' various false starts, before SR was greenlit.

:shock: I presume a few head rolled over these 60 millions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back