Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer discussion (spoilers!)

Re: Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer discussion (spoilers!)

I am changing the 4 to a Four, because it is bugging me and I am all-powerful.

Re: Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer discussion (spoilers!)

I am changing the 4 to a Four, because it is bugging me and I am all-powerful.

He's gone mad with power!!!!!!!! MAD I TELL YOU MAD!!:crazy:

I saw it here on Wednesday -- it opened earlier in this region, before pirated copies start to circulate.

My initial gut reactions:

* Blows the first one out of the water, in terms of cinematic experience!Definitely works better on the large screen.

* Storytelling is not perfect; a few gaping plot holes, but it doesn't get in the way of action, or soap operatics. Wish there was a little more fun science geekery, though.

* Silver Surfer feels like he was written as though he was Namor -- the individualized fights with Johnny (sorry, excuse me, "John"); the quasi-flirtations with Sue, etc. I'm surprised how disinterested Reed was in learning more about Norin and his culture; even given the dire circumstances.

* I've come to realize that Julian McMahon is like an Evil Bill Murray. I mean that in the best way possible. Henceforth, I will now refer to him as E.B.M., accordingly.

* Jessica Alba is still Jessica Blah.

More thoughts later on, as I remember them.

I liked it. It was better than the first, even if I liked the first. The FF really felt like a family and that alone was worth the price of admission. And Silver Surfer was very well done. I wasn't big on Lawrence Fishburn's portrayal of his voice, but he came off as a very mysterious character, but with a glimpse at his very human heart.

The villains, though, aside from Silver Surfer, were terrible. For instance, I felt Doom in the first one was far better than he was portrayed here (And that's saying something). He was just. . .awful. The thing is. . .I LIKE Julian McMahon. He plays the arrogance of VVD perfectly. But, when it's time to go into full-on DR. DOOM. . .he fails. I dunno if its the writing, his acting or a combination of both, but Dr. Doom is just not menacing.

And Galactus. Well. . .the thing is, I knew going in what Galactus was going to be. So, when I actually saw Galactus, I was actually impressed about how epic they could make a cloud look. Thing is. . .I'm pretty sure Galactus wasn't a cloud, but rather, his ship was a cloud. They kind of showed that at the end. Still, it was a disappointment that we didn't get to see the Buckethead version. Or even Gah Lak Tus.

Overall, a 3/5.

Last edited:
So is FF3 going to be continue on from this movie, like all "modern trilogies" seem to do now?

I saw it earier today, I thought it was ok. But still better that the first one. Oh and Galactus is not a cloud. He more of a energy in the cloud. but he's shaped like the Galactus of the 616 universe. I clearly saw the shape of his helmet in there. I was suprised at some of the jokes in there given the PG rating but they are still over the head of the kids. I thought it got a little slow in the middle but got better towards the end. So it wasn't a bad movie, but they could of done better.

They kind of showed that at the end. Still, it was a disappointment that we didn't get to see the Buckethead version. Or even Gah Lak Tus.

We saw the shape of his buckethead...

So is FF3 going to be continue on from this movie, like all "modern trilogies" seem to do now?

I don't know... We See Silver Surfer at the end. But I do know they are planning a Silver Surfer movie.

Last edited:
Just like the first one, it was a lot of fun.

It all looked great, the cast is great, especially Chiklis and Evans, just like the first film, but Gruffudd was a lot better this time around too.

The Surfer looked awesome, and Doom's costume.....:drooling:. SO glad they got that right this time.

If Galactus is indeed the entity, it would've been cool to see the cloud form some sort of face when the Surfer flys in deep.

The only part of the plot I thought was really dumb was what happened to Galactus at the end. WTF? Even so, maybe he'll be back.

Overall, I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.

Are they even making an FF3?

I dunno how they'd tie it in aside from having Doom return as a villain. Hell, I don't even know what villain they'd get. The only villain I could see would be Namor, but with the Sub-Mariner movie, I don't know how they'd do that.

the_watcher said:
We saw the shape of his buckethead...

Barely. Hell, I was straining to see if it wasn't just a random face. It wasn't clearly defined at all.

Last edited:
Oh, I thought the movie ended with the FF realizing Silver Surfer wasn't the main enemy, but Galactus was. And he was heading to earth. Obviously that didn't happen.

I would have had FF2 be about Namor and Atlantis, and had FF3 be about Silver Surfer/Galactus. Maybe even have a FF4 (heh) with a revamped Frightful Four (obviously Doom, Namor, Mole Man and maybe Kang).

Oh, I thought the movie ended with the FF realizing Silver Surfer wasn't the main enemy, but Galactus was. And he was heading to earth. Obviously that didn't happen.

They do realize he's not the enemy. But, Galactus arrives and Silver Surfer decides to rebel. He surfs through the cloud to the center (Which is this big energy mass with the vague outline of buckethead Galactus), releases the Power Cosmic and destroys him. Then, about midway through the credits, you see SS floating through space, still alive.

I would have had FF2 be about Namor and Atlantis, and had FF3 be about Silver Surfer/Galactus. Maybe even have a FF4 (heh) with a revamped Frightful Four (obviously Doom, Namor, Mole Man and maybe Kang).

Ditto. I want to see Namor next, I just don't know if they can use him. Hell, I don't even know if they can, since the FF are under Fox and Sub-Mariner is under Universal.

...Well I agree that they should have saved SS and Galactus till FF3, But the the Frightful four, I'm not to sure on.

Oh, that's alright then. I was going to be annoyed if it was another one of those sequels that require a sequel to finish telling the story.

I don't think I'll pay money to see this, but I might watch it online.

We saw it today. I myself enjoyed it. It was better than the first one. Still pissed about the Galactus thing. It seemed as Surfer went into the cloud, some solid form was about to come out, but no luck there.

MWF said this as we left, and I agreed. This franchise isn't great, but it's decent enough to check out.

...Well I agree that they should have saved SS and Galactus till FF3, But the the Frightful four, I'm not to sure on.

I reckon they'd be neat. Maybe they wouldn't get their own movie, just shove them into the third one, which could lead into Doom and Reed teaming up to stop Galactus.

I should type up my ideas for Fantastic Four movies.

You know I was just thinking. Since both Namor and SS become good guys and Marvel is planning on doing a movie for both. Maybe they used the Silver Sufer first, because his movie is closer to go to production than Namor's.

You know I was just thinking. Since both Namor and SS become good guys and Marvel is planning on doing a movie for both. Maybe they used the Silver Sufer first, because his movie is closer to go to production than Namor's.
What do you mean? I'm not sure what you're saying.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're saying that SS was chosen for this instead of Namor because Namor's solo movie is not ready? What does that have to do with anythinig? Namor can't be done in an FF movie (and FF can't appear in the Namor movie) because he's at a different company, therefor it's impossible for him to be used.

What do you mean? I'm not sure what you're saying.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're saying that SS was chosen for this instead of Namor because Namor's solo movie is not ready? What does that have to do with anythinig? Namor can't be done in an FF movie (and FF can't appear in the Namor movie) because he's at a different company, therefor it's impossible for him to be used.

Different Company???? What have you been huffin'???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back