Fantastic Homoeroticism or "D/F"

Not all black people love malt liquor.

For the record---I totally intend on posting a serious response to this topic. But I haven't really slept in 3 days due to a head cold so I'm a little loopy from sleep deprivation. Which makes me do and say funny things. Or at least what I think is funny.

I'm gonna go write some Scientifically Doomed now and hope it's funny once I'm better.

I just read this thread and i get where you are coming from.

The other day Twi, Prog, and me were looking though FanFiction.net at slash fics.

I didn't know much about it.

But Reed and Doom is an obvious choice.

So is Wolverine and Cyclops.

Have you notice that the average anime fan is a lot more bizarre than a average comic fan.

Miller is a nutcase, anyway. :p

Well honestly, I don't buy into lame homoerotic interpretations either, but I just think they're funny. And the absence of it in comics fandom is just well, surprising considering how prevalent it is in Japanese fandom.

It's because manga/anime have more teenage female fans.

I am absolutely serious about this.

I just read this thread and i get where you are coming from.

The other day Twi, Prog, and me were looking though FanFiction.net at slash fics.

I didn't know much about it.

But Reed and Doom is an obvious choice.

So is Wolverine and Cyclops.

Have you notice that the average anime fan is a lot more bizarre than a average comic fan.

I think it's because even though there's that stereotype of Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons and all, most comic geeks are either part of larger geek culture (with RPGs and video games) or just read them casually. Meanwhile, anime and manga fans (not people who read anime and manga, but people who identify as anime and manga fans) are almost like a subculture unto themselves, at least at my school. Lots of them are all wrapped up in the bizarre cultural identity of the goth kids and the girls who want to stand out and have emotional and/or sexual issues. I know that sounds really bad and I'm not saying that generalization is universal, but it's definitely something I've observed at my high school.

I am absolutely serious about this.

I think it's because even though there's that stereotype of Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons and all, most comic geeks are either part of larger geek culture (with RPGs and video games) or just read them casually. Meanwhile, anime and manga fans (not people who read anime and manga, but people who identify as anime and manga fans) are almost like a subculture unto themselves, at least at my school. Lots of them are all wrapped up in the bizarre cultural identity of the goth kids and the girls who want to stand out and have emotional and/or sexual issues. I know that sounds really bad and I'm not saying that generalization is universal, but it's definitely something I've observed at my high school.
I disagree and agree.

I think part of the difference between comic book fandom and anime fandom comes from self-identification.

From my experience, the number of individuals who refer to themselves as 'anime fans' reaches a broader range of people than those who identify themselves as 'comic book fans'.

This is not because either fandom is inherently less diverse than the other but because the criteria for self-identification differ greatly between the two cultures.

If you're an anime fan, you can be a hardcore cosplayer who just likes the aesthetic and seeks to escape the everyday with five different kinds of fuku and gothic lolita get ups. The medium is escapism through aesthetic.

Or you can be the casual person with an interest in the culture differentials between the East and the West an yet are actually generally disinterested in aspects of genre fandom (sci-fi, fantasy). The medium is just ethnography to you.

Others could be people are ordinary sci-fi fantasy fans who don't necessarily view Japan with any positive regard, but are merely disinterested or disappointed by the present offerings in American sci-fi and fantasy, and have tapped anime as an 'alternative fiction source'.

All these people call themselves anime fans, but they don't identify themselves the same way.

The term 'comic book fan' however, seems to have a very specific culture in mind, with a very specific set of fan habits that are expected of the individual.

Most self-identified comic book fans maintain at least some interest in the current state of superheroes, regardless of whether one is actively collecting any.

Most self-identified comic book fans maintain an interest in the relationship between the industry and movies and geek culture, or the business going-ons.

There're lots more characteristics I'd like to cite, but I'd just refer you to Matthew J. Putsz's Comic Book Culture. I'd quote it, but it's at home.

The point I'm trying to stress is that there's a greater heterogeneity among those who self-identify as anime fans, while even active readers of comic book don't maintain the same self-identification largely because the term is associated with set practices of fandom.

Y'know, I'm kinda surprised I never really checked this thread out before.

But to be honest, I'm going to side with Twi on this one. A goodly number of female fanfic writers, especially in the manga/anime community tend to find shounen-ai/yaoi as appealing as most red blooded men find lesbians.

agree!

TwilightEL said:
I think it's because even though there's that stereotype of Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons and all, most comic geeks are either part of larger geek culture (with RPGs and video games) or just read them casually.

and even if they don't, I feel like it's a more accepted medium. Maybe not in the sense that it's "less geeky" but more in the sense that everyone can tell you who Superman and Batman and Spider-Man are. If you mention Naruto to most people, they'll give you a blank stare.

Twi said:
Meanwhile, anime and manga fans (not people who read anime and manga, but people who identify as anime and manga fans) are almost like a subculture unto themselves, at least at my school. Lots of them are all wrapped up in the bizarre cultural identity of the goth kids and the girls who want to stand out and have emotional and/or sexual issues. I know that sounds really bad and I'm not saying that generalization is universal, but it's definitely something I've observed at my high school.

It's the same in college. I took a Japanese language class for about four weeks, and the divide there was just immense. Half the class was basically regular folks and the other half was intensely

I think there's a few reasons for this sort of disparity between comic fans and otaku. Keep in mind here, I may be talking out my *** because I'm only casual familiar with anime, but... I think for one, the fact that comic books are such a universally large part of American culture that it's easier not only to have a larger group of casually interested fans, but it's also easier to normalize these sort of fans into larger culture as a whole. Everyone knows who the basic superheroes. Hell, superhero conversations are the kind of thing that pop up in casual conversation, between people who aren't really fans. Anime culture is less normalized, the specifics less well known, meaning if someone's a big fan who really enjoys the medium, they're likely to gravitate towards people who are similarly deep into fandom. While basic superhero knowledge fits easily into regular American pop culture, the same sort of basic knowledge of anime is esoteric and mysterious to the regular joe. So if you're deeply into this style of storytelling, you kind of have to throw yourself into the fringe of fandom to find someone to connect to. I'd imagine cultural differences would play a large part to. If you're making the decision to follow a form of entertainment that's bred out of a different culture, that's going to be even more isolating. I think the more fanatic nature of otaku goes hand in hand with the fact that it's more isolated from American culture than the rather pervasive presence of comics.

Xavier/Magneto actually reminds me of Dumbledore/Grindelwald.

Xavier/Magneto actually reminds me of Dumbledore/Grindelwald.

In the way that it is only sexy if Charles and Erik are in their twenties when they first met, and the same with Dumbledore and Grindlewald, but if you imagine it when they are of the age we're used to the characters being, it makes your inner eye want to vomit blood?

Yeah, then, I agree.

In the way that it is only sexy if Charles and Erik are in their twenties when they first met, and the same with Dumbledore and Grindlewald, but if you imagine it when they are of the age we're used to the characters being, it makes your inner eye want to vomit blood?

Yeah, then, I agree.

Yes?

Wait. What?

It was years ago. I don't remember what thread it was in. But someone had left the site for a while and then came back. And asked what had happend since he had been gone. I so I jokingly said some stuff that was true and a total lie.

Let's see... I said, Ultimate E is now just going by E now, Icemastertron is just Ice, (something about someone doing something), ManWithOutFear has came out of the closet. and DIrishB got wasted the night before and woke up next to Heidi Klum.

Last edited:
It was years ago. I don't remember what thread it was in. But someone had left the site for a while and then came back. And asked what had happend since he had been gone. I so I jokingly said some stuff that was true and a total lie.

Let's see... I said, Ultimate E is now just going by E now, Icemastertron is just Ice, (something about someone doing something), ManWithOutFear has came out of the closet. and DIrishB got wasted the night before and woke up next to Heidi Klum.

Wait, how'd you know about that? Even Seal doesn't know...

(realizes after the fact that that post wasn't even close to gay enough for this thread)...

Latest posts

Back