Favorite Marvel Comic Now

ourchair

I've been recently trying to catch up on the Marvel Universe --- though I can't for the life of me figure out why my interest has been renewed --- so I just want to ask everyone what their favorite Marvel Comic is now.

Pick only one.

Okay, fine, you can get away with two but no more.

This should work like the Top Films of 200X threads, you can update your picks every now and then. The idea is that you reply with the only Marvel Comic (or two) you could read.

Yes, this is a ploy to get me to figure out what to start purchasing monthyl with my wimpy Philippinoe pesoses, which makes every comic the price of a single fancy meal.

Writer: Andy Diggle
Artist: Roberto De La Torre

We should be getting a new roster for the team as well, as Bullseye. Moonstone and Venom are transferring to the Dark Avengers team.

It's always either Daredevil or Captain America lately. The current Daredevil arc is a little stronger than the current Captain America - right now anyway.

Both are written by Ed Brubaker. Daredevil is drawn by Michael Lark, and Captain America by Luke Ross (currently; I prefer Steve Epting).

Daredevil
by Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark.

I already love it so much more than Bendis' Daredevil. It really is fine writing.

Thor
by J. Michael Straczynski & Oliver Copiel.

This is the best Thor that could ever be written. It's hard to believe this is the same guy that wrote part of Ultimate Power. With moments having Thor pwn Iron Man or dealing with Captain America's death. Copiel does stunning artwork. Plus Loki is a sexy chick.

Last edited:
All things Thor

Thor regular monthly
by J. Michael Straczynski & Oliver Copiel.

TGO's comments on this title are dead on.

Plus I HIGHLY recommend the 3 Thor one shots written by Matt Fraction. (Ages of Thunder, Reign of Blood and Man of War. I believe they all have different artists. In any case the art on all 3 is scrumptious and the stories are some of the best Thor stuff ever produced.

WOLVERINE
Mark Millar and Steve McNiven are telling the story of Old Man Logan - the future of Wolverine. The Dark Knight Returns meets Unforgiven. It is insane and I love it.

New Avengers: The new roster's awesome with Bucky, Cage, Spidey, Wolverine, Ronin, Mockingbird, Jessica Jones and Ms. Marvel currently looking for Skrull Jarvis. Bendis is the writer as always and Billy Tan is the best artist to be on the series in a good long time.

Immortal Iron Fist
Writer: Dwayne Swierczynski
Artist: Travis Foreman

It's crazy how much I've come to love this book! The perfect blend of modern introspective identy search, comedy and an old Shaw Bros kung-fu film. It's the closest thing I'm gonna get to Kill Bill on paper with superheroes.

It's really hard to describe this book. Damn. Just know that if you're gonna check out a new Marvel book in trade (possibly in current single issue)...this is totally worth it.

Fantastic Four
Writer: Mark Millar
Artist: Bryan Hitch

Like I said in the Top Ten thread....

THIS is Fantastic 4 as it should be. I'm talking "over-the-top, global or timeline threatening, we fight giant spacemen" F4! While Millar, might be sparce with the dialogue...his flamboyant imagination is well put to use her with Marvel's First Family. If you loved his run on Ultimate Fantastic 4...then you'll love his 616 run. I know I am! Now for a classic Doom battle.

But if I had to chose only one book between these 2? Iron Fist. Easily.

I've said it a million-bajillion times, but The Incredible Hercules is Marvel's best ongoing comic.

Written By: Greg Pak & Fred Van Lente
Art By: Clayton Henry (formerly Khoi Pham)

I just started reading up on the past two years of Marvel continuity, from the Civil War spin-offs to World War Hulk --- and yes, Secret Invasion to follow --- and I find it moderately obnoxious how, by ensuring that each title on the "checklists" are self-contained, they repeat scenes and dialogue from other comics to the extent that reading those spinoffs are practically a chore.

So anyway, I'm bringing that up cause I want to ask if the above mentioned books are somewhat tied into crossovers or has Marvel finally begun to scale their crossovers down to manageable Dissassembled/House of M levels. Incredible Hercules and Immortal Iron Fist sound intriguing to me. Thunderbolts too.

There is an awful lot I'm loving right now I can't really pick one

DD, Cap, Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Avengers: The Initiative, Immortal Iron Fist, Cable, Moon Knight, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, Incredible Hercules, Captain Britain & MI13, Eternals.

Really all the books that have managed to just do their own thing and stay away from tie-ins.

But the single best Marvel book is Thor, hands down.

My favorite is Guardians of the Galaxy though

I just started reading up on the past two years of Marvel continuity, from the Civil War spin-offs to World War Hulk --- and yes, Secret Invasion to follow --- and I find it moderately obnoxious how, by ensuring that each title on the "checklists" are self-contained, they repeat scenes and dialogue from other comics to the extent that reading those spinoffs are practically a chore.

So anyway, I'm bringing that up cause I want to ask if the above mentioned books are somewhat tied into crossovers or has Marvel finally begun to scale their crossovers down to manageable Dissassembled/House of M levels.
Unfortunately, Marvel seems to be plunging forward into massive crossovers with an unfettered zeal. Very few books are fortunate enough to avoid these obnoxious, boring crossovers and no team books seem capable of it. Both Avengers teams, The Initiative, Fantastic Four, Thunderbolts, Runaways, New Warriors, X-Men, X-Factor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Young Avengers, and Inhumans all got sucked in to SI. And they even used it to introduce a new team called the Secret Warriors because there just weren't enough teams crossing over before.

Dark Reign followed immediately on the heels of SI and will no doubt lead to another massive crossover to remove Norman from power. It's interesting that you want to get back into Marvel because I find myself withdrawing from it with every passing 'event'.
Incredible Hercules and Immortal Iron Fist sound intriguing to me. Thunderbolts too.
I would highly recommend all three.

I still like Brubaker & Faction's Iron Fist better, but I still enjoy it.

It's almost impossible to find an ongoing Marvel series that doesn't get caught in a crossover. It's ridiculous. It sometimes throws off the entire pacing they have going.

Daredevil & Thor have both avoided this. so has Iron Fist & Captain America. Thunderbolts tied into Secret Invasion and the current running Dark Reign. Incredible Hercules began with World War Hulk after they changed the title of Incredible Hulk.

The Avengers titles are nothing but tie-ins. It seems to create a team arc, have them fight someone arc, tear apart the team again and rebuild, repeat.

I also don't under how people have been listing Thunderbolts. Ellis' stuff was great but that has been over for months. the SI issues were so terrible, and there is only one issue of Diggles stuff. One issue!

Last edited:

I also don't under how people have been listing Thunderbolts. Ellis' stuff was great but that has been over for months. the SI issues were so terrible, and there is only one issue of Diggles stuff. One issue!

Two. I know I've read two.

Latest posts

Back