Favorite Quotes

"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has, because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that matter."
- Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

That's good.

Here's one of my favorites. It's from Samuel Beckett's play Endgame, which is really a good play.

"I'll soon have finished with this story. (Pause.) Unless I bring in other characters. (Pause.) But where would I find them? (Pause.) Where would I look for them?"

Trying to read it with the "pauses" gets annoying, so I just usually pause in my thinking instead of actually thinking the word "pause." God, that's really starting to sound like a wierd word. Pause.

Another one of my favorites is my signature, from "Pity This Busy Monster Manunkind" by E.E. Cummings. He's a fantastic poet, if'n you can get your head around his inane (and sometimes insane) poetic style.

And of course, my favorite quote of all time, mentioned last because it is the antithesis of the point of this thread. However, I feel it must be mentioned here. It's from "Space Ghost Coast to Coast," which of course has a lot of great quotes of the funny variety. This is, however, I think the best:

"Friends are just enemies who don't have the guts to kill you."

Best part is, it's totally true.

Time to revitalize this baby! I'll start with the long one first:

"The United States has it's own propaganda, but it's very effective because people don't realize that it's propaganda. And it's subtle, but it's actually a much stronger propaganda machine than the Nazis had but it's funded in a different way. With the Nazis it was funded by the government, but in the United States, it's funded by corporations and corporations they only want things to happen that will make people want to buy stuff. So whatever that is, then that is considered okay and good, but that doesn't necessarily mean it really serves people's thinking - it can stupify and make not very good things happen."
~ Crispin Hellion Glover

"I don't understand why prostitution is illegal. In the military, they give you a medal for killing someone. In civilian life, they arrest you for giving someone an orgasm. Am I missing something?" ~ George Carlin

"As you swim the river of live, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path" ~ George Carlin

"If it requires a uniform, it's a worthless endeavour." ~ George Carlin

"It is now quite lawful for a Catholic woman to avoid pregnancy by resorting to mathematics, though she is still forbidden to resort to physics or chemistry."
-- H. L. Mencken

"Every day, people are straying away from the church and going back to God."
-- Lenny Bruce

Time to revitalize this baby! I'll start with the long one first:

"The United States has it's own propaganda, but it's very effective because people don't realize that it's propaganda. And it's subtle, but it's actually a much stronger propaganda machine than the Nazis had but it's funded in a different way. With the Nazis it was funded by the government, but in the United States, it's funded by corporations and corporations they only want things to happen that will make people want to buy stuff. So whatever that is, then that is considered okay and good, but that doesn't necessarily mean it really serves people's thinking - it can stupify and make not very good things happen."
~ Crispin Hellion Glover
"I was walking on the ground,
I didn't make a sound
and then I turned around --
I saw a clown.

"Clown.
Clowny Clown Clown."
~ Crispin Hellion Glover

"Do you wanna die with this kinda legend behind the name 'Langsta,' or do you wanna die with them sayin, 'Damn that kid was not the cutest I've seen but he pulls *** like no other'?"
- Big Baby Free

Last edited:
Seasonal quote:

"In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it 'Christmas' and went to church; the Jews called it 'Hanukkah' and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say 'Merry Christmas!' or 'Happy Hanukkah!' or (to the atheists) 'Look out for the wall!' "
~Dave Barry, "Christmas Shopping: A Survivor's Guide"​

More Woody:

"More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction."

Probably one of my favorite scenes in a movie, this one taken from a 1976 movie called Network. This quote is from one of the characters named Howard Beale.

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's work, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, *******it! My life has VALUE!'

Latest posts

Back