Sentry (the first run)
Earth X trilogy
Daredevil
Punisher MAX
Nextwave
Global Frequency
Planetary

What's Global Frequency about?

Supreme Power - I like how JMS never uses inner monologues so you can never trust what characters are saying
Watchmen - yeah
Transmetropoliton - Love it, really funny character always looking for the TRUTH
Invincible - Best superhero from the last decade, also written well as a series with each arc being developed in the ones preceding it
Sin City (Yellow Bastard if I can't have them as a series)
All-star Superman
Preacher - So many great characters, and all the funny things that happen to herr starr
Ultimates 2

there's 8 to start with, I didn't want to put anymore on since there's loads of things I haven't read I know I'll love, ex machina, Y the last man, DMZ, Fables

I might put daredevil on there in some form..the only comics I've bothered reading that are more than 10 years old are Frank Miller's Batman&Daredavil and Alan Moore stuff...maybe Neil Gaiman too.

What's Global Frequency about?

Check out Proj's link.

Warren Ellis at his absolute best. 12 issues, each self-contained, yet contributes to the story as a whole. Collected in 2 TPBs.

There are some awesome concepts he touches on in the series. It's just a cool sci-fi book.

Check out Proj's link.

Warren Ellis at his absolute best. 12 issues, each self-contained, yet contributes to the story as a whole. Collected in 2 TPBs.

There are some awesome concepts he touches on in the series. It's just a cool sci-fi book.

And New Avengers? Seriously?

And New Avengers? Seriously?

Seriously. I love it.

Keep in mind I'm not comparing it to Watchmen or V or saying it's as good as those books.

But it's probably my favorite book right now and aside from a couple of slow issues during Civil War I've loved every issue.

Seriously. I love it.

Keep in mind I'm not comparing it to Watchmen or V or saying it's as good as those books.

But it's probably my favorite book right now and aside from a couple of slow issues during Civil War I've loved every issue.
Exactly.

'Favorite' books. Not 'best books EVAR'. Different things.

My fully explained list:

10. Planetary - Warren Ellis and John Cassaday Planetary is a book about the past, and what it means to the future. In looking to the past, Planetary finds more fresh ideas than most comics ever will. Every story is something new and totally unexpected, with a brilliant, overarching story. Cassaday's art is excellent, and it only gets better as the book goes on.

9. All-Star Superman - Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely The definitive Superman. The only reason why it's not higher up is that it isn't finished yet. All-Star Superman is a glorious revival of Silver Age wonder, taking the unbridled genius of uncontrolled imagination and giving it a Twenty-First Century finish. It's great to see a book full of hope and adventure, where things don't seem so bleak. It's a book that just makes you feel better. Frank Quitely pencils the book with exquisite detail and care, proving that he deserves to be considered an "all-star" just as much as Morrison.

8. Kingdom Come - Mark Waid and Alex Ross The ultimate tale of the DC Universe. It has everything you could want, composed with the loving expertise of some true fans. Superman and company define what heroes are and why we need them, and we see them as the both epic and human characters that they always were more clearly than ever before. And Alex Ross: What more is there to say?

7. The Authority - Warren Ellis, Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch, Frank Quitely, etc. Years from now, The Authority will be seen as a milestone in comics history, along with Watchmen and others. The Authority did something that few books can: It did something so surprisingly original with superhero comics that it changed the industry and clearly marked the beginning of a new age in comic books. Whatever the current age is going to be called someday, The Authority will be considered by most fans as its starting point. The group of creators who wrote those first two years of the team's adventures created characters that hadn't been seen yet in comics, politically proactive superheroes fighting the real villians of the world rather than just the poverty stricken people who are driven to crime because of their policies and influence. I think The Authority is still highly underrated. We owe the goods and the bads of the last eight years of comics to The Authority.

6. V for Vendetta - Alan Moore and David Lloyd While not everyone would agree with Alan Moore's political philosophies, V for Vendetta's more emotional themes of freedom and oppression are undeniably powerful. No one can read the scenes involving Valerie's letter and not be touched. Moore delivers his message in characteristically complex and unique fashion. The story brims with fascinating characters. It's a powerful peice of political fiction. Skip the movie and read the book.

5. Watchmen - Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons The book that changed an industry. Watchmen is still probably the deepest and most multilayered story ever produced within the superhero genre. It seems like Moore just decided to take every magnificent idea he could think of at the time and crowd them into one story. Watchmen challenged the black and white morality of superhero comics and pushed them into the murky, grey hues of the real world. What does it mean to be a "hero" in the real world? What if, sometimes, the most amoral acts are really the most heroic? This troubling notion singlehandedly challenged the entire comic book industry and influenced nearly everything to come after it. It's still Moore's greatest work and the greatest comic book series ever published.

4. New X-Men - Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, Phil Jimenez, Marc Silvestri, etc. Grant Morrison defines the comic book run. Everytime a writer takes on a multi-year tenure on a book, New X-Men is the standard which I inevitably hold them up to. Morrison managed to accomplish an incredible feat: He did something entirely original with the X-Men while building soundly on their past. He recognized exactly what needed to be done with all the previously sad and tired characters involved, and how to make them new again. As an entire run, the series represented one classic story. I really don't care how far in advanced the later plot twists were planned. It doesn't matter to me, since the story worked out perfectly anyhow. I love how New X-Men ends. It perfectly sums up the series. Jean Grey realizes her true role as The Pheonix and amputates the diseased future. She cradles the wounded universe in her hands and, with tears in her eyes, tells the man she loved more than any other to be happy without her, for the fate of that very universe she holds depends on it. Scott Summers kisses Emma Frost as the leaves fall around them and he finally learns how to live. THIS is how the X-Men deserve to be written.

3. Seven Soldiers of Victory - Grant Morrison and J.H. Williams III, etc. Grant Morrison defines the comic book event. Seven characters must save the world without ever meeting each other. How brilliant is that? Morrison produced an incredible amount of story within a very small time frame, he rejuvenated seven lackluster characters, and he composed an insanely complex tale. Morrison also does one of the things he's most talented at: Telling the industry what's what. Seven Soldiers is about what it takes to make a comic book universe work, and the mistakes that so many make when they try it. Morrison's talent for metaphor is more brilliant here than maybe anywhere else.

2. The Invisibles - Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell, Phil Jiminez, Chris Weston, Phillip Bond, etc. This is Grant Morrison's masterpeice, his guide to Twenty-First Century. It's an explosion of pop art and pop magick(!). The Invisibles is about revolution and individuality and a billion other things. Honestly, there's not much more I can say. It's an incredibly difficult book to describe. It just feels...important.

1. Promethea - Alan Moore and J.H. Williams III My love for this series is notorious, but who can't love it? Promethea is a book about magic. REAL magic. If V for Vendetta is about Alan Moore's politics, then Promethea is about Alan Moore's beliefs. Promethea changed my life, and I don't hesitate to say that it's the most important thing I've read in my young life. I can never look at anything the same way again. Alan Moore's writing is transcendent, and it nearly drove me to tears. Moore managed to craft some of the most stunningly beautiful moments I have ever seen in a comic. And J.H. Williams III is nothing to sneeze at either. This is the book that made him my favorite artist. The level of invention, technique, and mastery that he displays is just a marvel to behold. Promethea just radiates beauty, wonder, revelation...It's simply incredible. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The world would be a far better place if everyone read Promethea.

D'oh!

How could I leave out All-Star Superman and New X-Men??!!

20 - Infinite Crisis (Johns/Various, DC)

I'm not just talking the 7 issue mini. I mean the entire event. From the moment Donna Troy was killed to Blue Beetle shot in the face to the OYL jump. All the minis and tie-ins turned me on to the entire DC universe that I didn't care for.

19 - Seven Soldiers Of Victory (Morrison/Various, DC)

The remaster of the comic book event as Moonmaster described it. 2 Bookends, 7 4 issue minis. 7 Soldiers all coming together to defeat powerful enemies, while never meeting each other. The book has lots of hidden meanings and comparisons like Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. Each mini has it's own favor and everyone has their own favorites. Mine being Shining Knight and Frankenstein. But I always have a soft spot for Zatanna.

18 - Batgirl (Various, DC)

I think the Batgirl series was better than most Batman stories I read. I love the concept and idea of Cassandra Cain. The first arc set up her first meeting with Lady Shiva while the final arc is her final showdown with her also.

17 - Morrison's Batman (Morrison/Various, DC)

This includes Arkham Asylum and his current run on Batman. Morrison understand some pretty outrageous ideas of Batman, and make this work. Two-Face with a tarot set, Joker having an ever-changing super-personality, and the Batman of Zurr-En-Arrh. I love his ninja man-bats, Damien, and his brand new take on the Joker.

16 - Annihilation (Various, Marvel)

Similar to DC's Seven Soldiers event. It was a one-shot, followed by 4 4-issues minis, and than the main 6 issue event. The main event is what really blasted this out of the water. Pretty the best cosmic story I ever read. Awesome moments and recreating characters I could never give a rats *** about. The sequel does not hold up to the original.

15 - Astonishing X-men (Whedon/Cassandy, Marvel)

Written by the talented mind behind Buffy and Firefly and penciled beautifully by the man of Planetary fame. Whedon builds off old continuity much, a lot of the elements for Morrison's New X-men. He totally recreates Kitty and Colossus. It is fantastic X-men. The ending is insane.

14 - Daredevil (Bendis,Brubaker/Maleev,Lark, Marvel)

Bendis started by taking a character I never cared for and making him an ultimate badass. Than when Brubaker took over he just kept the pace. They are not afraid to **** with the status quo.

13 - Green Lantern (Johns/Various, DC)

It started with Rebirth, that brought back Hal Jordon and turned me on to the mythos of the GL's. Than came the amazing Sinestro Corps. In Blackest Night is going to be one of the best things I ever read and will probably bump this way higher on the list. The emotional spectrum is a brilliant idea.

12 - Promethea (Moore/Williams III)

Alan Moore's story about the purpose of stories, myths, and magic. Great concepts about the universe and the meaning behind it. It is so complex, it's easy to get lost. This book requires multiple reads. Williams art is brilliant and contains layers that rivals Moore's writing.

11 - The Authority (Various), Wildstorm)

Widescreen, epic, highspeed, violent superhero action. This book is high octane from the beginning. The book created by Ellis, but with notable runs by Millar and Brubaker, is the ultimate Superhero book. Midnighter is easy one of the most badass characters ever created.

10 - Kingdom Come (Waid/Ross, DC)

The post apocalyptic DC universe. Gone are the heroes of old and are replaced with more ruthless anti-heroes. After a huge tragically, Superman most come out of exile and reunited the guard of old. Ross uses great imagery to capture the epicness of this. It also uses great parallels to book of revelations.

9 - Marvel 1602 (Gaiman/Kubert, Marvel)

An elseworld Marvel title. What happens if the age of Marvels was started 300 years too early? Gaiman creates a fantastic setting and really puts the characters into 1602. Complete with Nicolas Fury, head of The Queen's intelligence, Matthew Murdock, an blind Irish thief, and the witch-bleed known as the X-men. Kubert's art is very gritty with great paints over them.

8 - The Sandman (Gaiman/Various, Vertigo)

This will probably rate much much higher when I finish the series. I've only finished up to the 4th volume. I'm waiting on my Absolute Editions to finish it, but what I have read it utterly brilliant. The idea of the Endless is flawless. Dream and Death really stand out. Death is nothing like you would ever expect the impersonation of Death to be.

7 - New X-men, Phoenix Endsong (Morrison,Pak/Various,Land, Marvel)

Morrison New X-men gave new life to the generic X-men. Gone were the superhero spandex and replaced with black leather. The first issue opens with new villain Cassandra Nova slaughtering millions of mutants. Each arc builds off the last. New concepts like an secondary mutation, Xorn, a mutant drug Kick, the Stepford Cuckoo's. The best arc of the run was definitely "Here Comes Tomorrow". A great parallel to the book of revelations. And Pak's mini "Phoenix Endsong", picks up on story elements about the Phoenix force. This is full of real emotional scenes for X-men fans. Most notably Logan and Jean in the snow. Land's art really captures the emotion.

6 - Fables (Willingham/Various, Vertigo)

A book containing all of the characters that you have read growing up in fairy tales, folklore, and all matter of stories. Great characters. It's hard to just choose one. You really feel for the characters and when they are happy or scared. Great humor and storytelling at it's finest.

5 - Planetary (Ellis/Cassandy, Wildstorm)

Ellis' other Wildstorm creation. This is a look at the mysterious of the universe and multiverse. The Planetary explore the weird and unusual while dealing with the threat of the 4. Analogs to the Fantastic Four. This book also has dozens of other analogs to characters from pulp culture, including Godzilla, Tarzan, Constantine, The JLA, and many more. Cassandy's art is stunning to look at.

4 - Hellblazer (Carey/Various, Vertigo)

While I've read bits of other runs, Carey is what really captured my interest with this. I started picking up the series after seeing the movie. Too bad for me it was the arc that was his climax. I than read all his other trades backwards. But this still didn't hurt the series. Carey plays off old elements from the very first issues of the series while adding his own. Carey's real writing strength comes from his horror/fantasy stories. No bad most people only read his superhero books.

3 - Earth X Trilogy (Jim Krueger,Ross/Various, Marvel)

The end of the Marvel Universe. They really use all the history of the characters and tie it all together into a story of the reason for alternate realities, the purpose of Galactus & The Watchers, and the true meaning of mankind's mutation. That is really only the tip of all the stories in this.

2 - Punisher MAX (Ennis/Various, Marvel)

This is book is viewed by some as just being uber-violent just to be. It's not. No one in history has ever written or understood Frank Castle like Ennis has. This is about punishing people who need to be punish. Frank Castle has the righteous fury that he needs. The supporting cast and villains are all characters you love, you love to hate, or you loathe like your suppose to.

1 - Lucifer (Carey/Various, Vertigo)

This is my favorite series. Carey really captures an huge cast of characters, and everyone has a moment to shine.

Lucifer is really the biggest bastard that you ever met, but Carey sets you straight with a lot of misconceptions about the devil.

There are dozens of stories that all tie-in and out with each other. I never felt lost or confused. The ending is one of the best in history. The character interaction is great and the story really has an epic mythic feel to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back