Film Club - Currently: Oldboy

Re: Film Club - Currently: Rashomon

I stopped after ten minutes.

Seriously, did that guy have to walk that long to find a dead body?

Really?

the one I found was also in German. That probably ruined the whole thing. Sorry McCheese.

Re: Film Club - Currently: Rashomon

yeah I would have preferred we watch The Hidden Fortress

I want to watch Yojimbo.

I'm going to post the next movie now. You can still post your thoughts on Adaptation or Rashomon.

Film #3:
25744-b-memento.jpg

Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
A man, suffering from short-term memory loss, uses notes and tattoos to hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.

This was chosen by Ice.

Last edited:
Re: Film Club - Currently: Rashomon/Memento

Oo I've been meaning to see this

Re: Film Club - Currently: Rashomon/Memento

Ironic, because Memento was the final movie I watched in my film noir class. It is classified as a neo-noir and borrows from a lot of the film noir staples that were made popular within the "genre" in the 40's and 50's.

I'll comment after some of you have watched.

Re: Film Club - Currently: Memento

I am late, but I finally watched Rashomon. Didn't enjoy it. It wasn't a movie that kept me wanting to see more. I kept getting distracted by other things, paused, then came back to finish. It was nice in black and white, but the movie just didn't seem like it was executed well.

1/5

I will be getting to Memento this weekend.

Movie Name: Memento
Seen it Before: No
Rating (1-10): 6.8
Review: it kept me amused long enough.

I saw this thread and had to respond - Memento is my all-time favourite movie.
This movie uses 'form and format' as much as characterization and plot to further your experience. It is through this format that the viewer is forced to recall past scenes and reconcile it with what is happening now. The truly interesting part is that sometimes you are 'adding' what is happening now to a past scene, recalling where that scene ended. OTHER times you are 'subtracting', recalling where a previous scene BEGAN, and trying to see how the current one will enable it. This experience is a little mesmerizing, and to some degree, helps you experience the condition (short-term memory issues) of the protagonist.

I'd give this a 10 out of 10!! Guy Pearce is fantastic. If you liked this, seek out 'Following', where Chris Nolan 'cut his teeth' on this style of moviemaking. I thought it too was great, though less neatly composed, and with less engaging leads. I envy anyone seeing this for the first time. I believe it was independent, also, which is a nice dig at the big budget films!

If you liked Nolan's Batman, you have this film to thank.

Film #4:

tumblr_l3bjppN0vB1qzla78o1_500.jpg

Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
A mentally unstable Vietnam war veteran works as nighttime taxi driver in a city whose perceived decadence and sleaze feeds his urge to violently lash out, attempting to save a teenage prostitute in the process.

This film was chosen by Nigma. You can still comment on the previous films.

Last edited:
Re: Film Club - Currently: Taxi Driver

Probably my favorite movie next to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's my favorite De Niro role.

I saw this thread and had to respond - Memento is my all-time favourite movie.
This movie uses 'form and format' as much as characterization and plot to further your experience. It is through this format that the viewer is forced to recall past scenes and reconcile it with what is happening now. The truly interesting part is that sometimes you are 'adding' what is happening now to a past scene, recalling where that scene ended. OTHER times you are 'subtracting', recalling where a previous scene BEGAN, and trying to see how the current one will enable it. This experience is a little mesmerizing, and to some degree, helps you experience the condition (short-term memory issues) of the protagonist.

I'd give this a 10 out of 10!! Guy Pearce is fantastic. If you liked this, seek out 'Following', where Chris Nolan 'cut his teeth' on this style of moviemaking. I thought it too was great, though less neatly composed, and with less engaging leads. I envy anyone seeing this for the first time. I believe it was independent, also, which is a nice dig at the big budget films!

If you liked Nolan's Batman, you have this film to thank.

I agree with everything in this post. Memento is one of the most innovative films I've ever seen and I feel it's even better when you watch it again. Films often try to be puzzles or riddles and fail because they get too complex or are just too confusing but Memento is a perfect example of how to make this kind of film work. It's a masterpiece.

I watched Following about a year ago and I really liked it. It was pretty neat. Christopher Nolan can do no wrong in my eyes.

Of all the things I love about Memento, from Guy Pearce to the premise to the dialogue to the expert use of its own gimmick, my favourite thing by far is the perfect bittersweetness of the atmosphere. It's never too hopeless, or too promising, or too insignificant. It's spot-on. There's this one shot which is just a POV of Leonard's car driving down some street, and the music.... it adds a whole other layer to the film, a sort of wistful reflection on the bigger picture in response to the depressing things the characters are exhaustingly trying to get through. Anyway, that shot is awesome and I love it.

Taxi Driver is another perfect film that just totally "gets it".

Man. How can you people possibly not like Rashomon?

Last edited by a moderator:

I just watched Taxi Driver.

Seen it before, no.

I liked it. Don't feel like I ever need to see it again. Young Jodi Foster is cute.

3/5 stars

Latest posts

Back