Firefly series discussion (Spoilers!)

I had to work.

Oh well...I have the DVDs.

I'll probably be watching through them again soon anyway, with the new Better Days mini coming up. Ah...new Firefly material.

I've got a semi. I love Firefly that much.

Better Days better be better than the last Firefly mini. I was pretty disappointed.

Better Days better be better than the last Firefly mini. I was pretty disappointed.

I was a bit as well. I think some of that was probably due to the lack of the actors portraying the roles (though the artwork was pretty). I think some of it might also have been Whedon not taking the project as seriously as he did the TV show/movie. Either way, it certainly wasn't a bad mini, and served as a decent first step on the hopefully long road of Firefly/Serenity comics (I hope this series sells well if for nothing else to guarantee "A Shepherd's Tale"...I really wanna know how Whedon is going to map out Book's past. Sucks it can't be done on screen, but I'll take the comics over nothing, and happy to do it.

I was a bit as well. I think some of that was probably due to the lack of the actors portraying the roles (though the artwork was pretty). I think some of it might also have been Whedon not taking the project as seriously as he did the TV show/movie. Either way, it certainly wasn't a bad mini, and served as a decent first step on the hopefully long road of Firefly/Serenity comics (I hope this series sells well if for nothing else to guarantee "A Shepherd's Tale"...I really wanna know how Whedon is going to map out Book's past. Sucks it can't be done on screen, but I'll take the comics over nothing, and happy to do it.

My biggest problem was that it seemed like it wasn't a three issue mini. They had at least 4 issues worth or story/action and telling it in three left for some confusing sequences. Like the bit at the end in the derelict shipyard with Wash trying to get the Blue Hand Guys out of the ship. Its rough to tell exactly what happens.

My biggest problem was that it seemed like it wasn't a three issue mini. They had at least 4 issues worth or story/action and telling it in three left for some confusing sequences. Like the bit at the end in the derelict shipyard with Wash trying to get the Blue Hand Guys out of the ship. Its rough to tell exactly what happens.

I agree. And while the art was nice, I do think the artist could learn some more about visual storytelling and stringing the panels and action together in a better way.

But still, its new Firefly. I hate to sound simple, but thats all that needs to be said. Whedon hooked me with the show, and I can't help but view anything related to the franchise with rose-colored glasses...of course, it could also just be that the whites of my eyes are often red.

The three covers Adam Hughes did for the new mini, BETTER DAYS, can be seen here and at Adam's own website.

The three covers combine into a tryptic, which I'm posting here (hotlinked from Adam's site).

BetterDays_FINAL.jpg

It's wonderful.

Check out River, who has made a paper Firefly.

Some people have complained - Adam's work's slightly off. His faces are really detailed, but the bodies aren't. It's simply due to time constraints. Some people are claiming he just photoshopped in the faces. On the newsarama thread you can see inks that prove it's not the case.

At his yahoogroups, there's a lot of discussion on it. I'll quote some of Adam's posts there.

Adam Hughes said:
Good times, Bad times

...Better Days.

Man, those SERENITY covers were WORK. I pain over everything I do, but THOSE pieces. Man. 9 likenesses, all interacting.... Wish I knew how big the Big Damn Job was gonna be when I took it.

I love SERENITY, FIREFLY to death. How can you say 'no' when Joss Whedon descends from Olympus on a flaming pie and commands you to do do mighty deeds for the good of the land?

I wish I had a better handle on these characters. Likeness work is dicey at best, and doing it in comics is twice as tough. You can either go photorealistic or you can go cartoony. Or any of a thousand levels in between.

Anyhoo, I hope the folks that like it enjoy the comic. Those who are underwhelmed by the covers, my apologies. I tried so hard, I think I missed the mark in many places. It's why I don't do those giant Alex Ross or Art Adams 'cast of thousands' covers; I'm no good at it. One girl, 2 boobs, and a backdrop. That's what I'm best suited for.

I just felt the need to post. I guess it was such a massive pile of work that some of the mixed reactions surfacing around the boards, especially the fans who are buying the comic not because they read comics, but because they are FIREFLY fans. I know you can't please everybody, I guess I'm just feeling a little raw... :) Someone showed me that Nathan Fillion had the cover to #1 on his MySpace page, and he liked it. I guess as long as the Cap'n says it passes muster, it should be good enough for me. I'll do better next time,
Browncoats.

On to CATWOMAN covers and ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN pages and so many other things.

Adam Hughes said:
That's what killed me. I worked and worked and worked on the faces, thinking that if the likenesses were off, the covers would fold like the Independence brass on Hera. The problem being, Dark Horse was ready to murder me if I didn't get them done. So, it was 'faces first, everything else later'. Some of the hands and the rendering on the clothing, I had to just abandon. I guess I should've just gone abstract with everything, but I committed to the likenesses from Day One, and couldn't reverse myself on that committment. Otherwise, it would've been "Why are some of the characters really detailed & painterly and some are more abstract & graphic?" I guess that since I couldn't do it all, I had to make an artistic "Sophie's Choice" and pick one over the other.

Maybe someday I can go in and finish the piece the way I wanted, make it as shiny as shiny can be.

-AH!

All interesting.

Whatever.

This is what blew me away - it's a sentiment that, for me, just sums up everything about FIREFLY/SERENITY. Everything. The above stuff is for those of us who are interested in the covers and what not. What's below, I hope some of you feel the same way, but I just think it's a perfect way of looking at FIREFLY. I have never, ever, once felt good about FIREFLY being cancelled. I now feel I wouldn't want it any other way.

Adam Hughes said:
I just really wanted to do the SERENITY crew a solid. I loves me my STAR WARS, but any SW art I do is artistic 'masturbation' on my part. SW is so alive and successful, it has hundreds of great artists keeping
the torch lit.

SERENITY is a scrappy commodity, fighting for every second of its existence. Any artist entrusted with stewardship of the 'Verse has a real responsibility to help keep the ship flying, just a little longer.

Cap'n Mal aims to misbehave; I just aim to get it right.

Only 10 more days until Better Days #1 ships!

I'm geeked for it!

Also just finally got around to ordering the TPB for Those Left Behind (the first Serenity comic mini). I've had the single issues since they were released, but with the TPB I'll have all three issues, a nice cover gallery, etc.

Ah...Firefly.

Only 10 more days until Better Days #1 ships!

I'm geeked for it!

Also just finally got around to ordering the TPB for Those Left Behind (the first Serenity comic mini). I've had the single issues since they were released, but with the TPB I'll have all three issues, a nice cover gallery, etc.

Ah...Firefly.

Did you know that its shrunken down when you ordered it? I didn't. :(

Did you know that its shrunken down when you ordered it? I didn't. :(

Yeah, my buddy had it since it came out, and I definitely noticed. I wonder why they went that route...to save money on the amount of paper used? Whatever, still has the cover gallery which was my main impetus for buying it. The foreword by Fillion is pretty cool, too.

Latest posts

Back