Flight 93

jtg3885 said:
Out of the four incidents (I count the two buildings as two incidents), this is the one that we know the least about and pay the least attention to.

Actually, in February, there was a made-for-tv movie on A&E, "Flight 93", which is the same story, different creative hands, script. It's why they changed the name of this film to "United 93."

iceman said:
i don't like this out of principle. i live in a suburb of the city, and i know people who lost family in the attacks. whenever i see people trying to exploit the events for money, i just remember the p.a. system in school calling anyone who had parents working in the WTC or the surrounding area down to the library before we even had the television on, only to have the confused teacher turn on the tv to two towers smoking, and within a minute one coming down. this is no different, in my mind, than politicians spouting "9/11" to push policies that don't really have anything to do with it.

This seems to do a good job of avoiding being exploitative.

E said:
This seems to do a good job of avoiding being exploitative.

perhaps it's still well done. it doesn't mean that they aren't doing it because they realize they can make a bundle of money off it.

iceman said:
perhaps it's still well done. it doesn't mean that they aren't doing it because they realize they can make a bundle of money off it.

Yeah, but seeing the previews it doesn't look like a major over-commercialization. I think having guys like the actual air traffic controller helps that.

Has it been said if any of the profits from this will be going to any scholarship or memorial funds?

10% of net profit. again, i don't care how the movie has been done. naturally, it would be much worse if it was a jingoistic action movie, but i don't like the idea of it either way. studio execs want to make money. it's why they are making this film. giving some money to memorial funds in a case like this is almost obligatory, if they didn't do it, they'd seem like satan.

i'm just not down with the idea of 9/11 movies when it is so absurdly soon after the attacks. it makes you wonder if in the future, movies about these things will come out months after they happen.

iceman said:
10% of net profit. again, i don't care how the movie has been done. naturally, it would be much worse if it was a jingoistic action movie, but i don't like the idea of it either way. studio execs want to make money. it's why they are making this film. giving some money to memorial funds in a case like this is almost obligatory, if they didn't do it, they'd seem like satan.

i'm just not down with the idea of 9/11 movies when it is so absurdly soon after the attacks. it makes you wonder if in the future, movies about these things will come out months after they happen.
I totally agreed. I think movies like this should be made 10+ years down the line to tell those who were too young to know, what happened that day. We all remember that day and the stories that came out of it. Its a great story that can make a great movie, but its much too soon.

Most of the families of the victims of Flight 93 collaborated on the movie. It was not too soon for them.

If you are not ready to see the movie for personal reasons, then don't. But don't go arguing that the movie itself shouldn't have been made because of it. You can only speak for yourself, and whether you are ready or not to see such a movie is irrelevant to the value of the movie itself. For thousands of people, the timing of this movie is right.

Last edited:
Well, despite my previous comments in this thread (oh how opinions change!) I thought this movie was extremely well done, and I'm glad that someone as delicate as Paul Greengrass was able to take on the project.

4.5/5

Most of the families of the victims of Flight 93 collaborated on the movie. It was not too soon for them.

If you are not ready to see the movie for personal reasons, then don't. But don't go arguing that the movie itself shouldn't have been made because of it. You can only speak for yourself, and whether you are ready or not to see such a movie is irrelevant to the value of the movie itself. For thousands of people, the timing of this movie is right.

Well said.

Latest posts

Back