Flight 93

the watcher

Ya, know I really feel sorry for the people that die on Flight 93. I really do. And I thought they were brave in tring to stop the terrorist. But I think Hollywood is taking it a little to far. I just saw a trailer for Flight 93 the movie. they don't really show anything, but I think making this movie is just taking it to far.

Starring: J. J. Johnson, Gary Commock, Polly Adams, Opal Alladin, Nancy McDoniel, Starla Benford, Trish Gates, Simon Poland, Khalid Abdalla, David Alan Basche, Lisa Colón-Zayas, Meghan Heffern, Olivia Thirlby, Cheyenne Jackson

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/flight93/large.html

the watcher said:
Ya, know I really feel sorry for the people that die on Flight 93. I really do. And I thought they were brave in tring to stop the terrorist. But I think Hollywood is taking it a little to far. I just saw a trailer for Flight 93 the movie. they don't really show anything, but I think making this movie is just taking it to far.

Agreed. I just saw the trailer, and I think making 9/11 based films is a terrible choice to make. At least when it just happened four years ago, and we all KNOW pretty much everything about that day and what happened after already.

I say, wait another ten years, but it's too late now.

The premise of this movie seems strange. I know they made pearl harbor, but that was fifty years later and that was against the military. This is just morbid.

For those of you interested in this film. I am posting a new trailer & the stats. But if you feel you want to express you opinion on this. Good or bad go right ahead.

United 93

Release Date: April 28, 2006
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Paul Greengrass
Screenwriter: Paul Greengrass
Starring: J. J. Johnson, Gary Commock, Polly Adams, Opal Alladin, Nancy McDoniel, Starla Benford, Trish Gates, Simon Poland, Khalid Abdalla, David Alan Basche, Lisa Colón-Zayas, Meghan Heffern, Olivia Thirlby, Cheyenne Jackson
Genre: Drama
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: http://www.united93movie.com/index.php
Review: Not Available
DVD Review: Not Available
DVD: Not Available
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Drama/United_93
Plot Summary: Acclaimed filmmaker Paul Greengrass ("Bloody Sunday," "The Bourne Supremacy") writes and directs an unflinching drama that tells the story of the passengers and crew, their families on the ground and the flight controllers who watched in dawning horror as United Airlines Flight 93 became the fourth hijacked plane on the day of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil: September 11, 2001.

"United 93" recreates the doomed trip in actual time, from takeoff to hijacking to the realization by those onboard that their plane was part of a coordinated attack unfolding on the ground beneath them. The film attempts to understand the abject fear and courageous decisions of those who-over the course of just 90 minutes-transformed from a random assembly of disconnected strangers into bonded allies who confronted an unthinkable situation.

As 2006 marks the passing of five years since the epochal events of 9/11, the time has come for contemporary cinema's leading filmmakers to dramatically investigate the events of that day, its causes and its consequences, and the everyday individuals whose fates were forever altered while simply going about their common workday rituals.

Greengrass, known for films such as "Resurrected" and "Bloody Sunday," brings to "United 93" a history of compassionate filmmaking that has explored some of the most troubled incidents of recent world history-when politics turns to violence, when beliefs slip into zealotry. As there is no perfect record of the hijacking's exact details and hostage retaliation, Greengrass takes a careful hand and partially improvises the events with an ensemble cast of unknown actors who were given studies of their Flight 93 counterparts.

"United 93" intends to dignify the memory of those on that flight, the men and women whose sacrifice remains one of the most heroic legacies of the incomprehensible tragedies that unfolded on that autumn morning.

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/united93/hd/

Saw the trailer when I previewed Inside Man earlier tonight. Me and my boss came to the same conclusion. This movie will probably just piss us off.

This is gonna be a huge story when it opens. Everyone's gonna be expressing their opinion. Which sadly, will just help the film rake in millions at the Box Office.

And so what if it makes millions?

We are a capitalist society, making money is what we do.

We also live in a society that thinks the only news involves someone dying or something blowing up.

People saying this film is morbid, that this is an inappropriate movie, that's it's too soon after 9/11.

If anything, it's a homage to those who persished so the memories of these heroes is never forgotten.

What do you all want to do? Pretend 9/11 never happened? Go back to living under your rocks in fear of the rat eating bad guys?

I welcome this movie. I want to see the story of the people on Flight 93. I want "LETS ROLL" to be more than a common slang catch phrase - I want it to be a rally cry of Patriotism like it first was. The spirt and memories of what the passengers on Flight 93 must never be forgotten - they were the first soldiers to fight back in our war against the terrorists!

You know what annoys me about this movie? There's barely anyone alive today who was on the Titanic. There is a larger, but still small percentage of people who were alive during Pearl Harbor, but they probably don't go to the movies very often. I was not alive during either events. They're just history. I was alive when 9/11 happened. I saw the second plane hit on live tv. I remeber the minutes of absolute silence from the news anchors after it happened. I remember trying to rationalize why it had to be a small plane, because commercial planes would never crash into buildings, and even if one did, it would be a much bigger explosion, like in the movies. 9/11 has not yet become "history", and it will be decades before it does. People are still affected by it. Its just too soon to make a movie about it.

moonmaster said:
You know what annoys me about this movie? There's barely anyone alive today who was on the Titanic. There is a larger, but still small percentage of people who were alive during Pearl Harbor, but they probably don't go to the movies very often. I was not alive during either events. They're just history. I was alive when 9/11 happened. I saw the second plane hit on live tv. I remeber the minutes of absolute silence from the news anchors after it happened. I remember trying to rationalize why it had to be a small plane, because commercial planes would never crash into buildings, and even if one did, it would be a much bigger explosion, like in the movies. 9/11 has not yet become "history", and it will be decades before it does. People are still affected by it. Its just too soon to make a movie about it.
Well said.

moonmaster said:

Then you won't like this. http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=11309

Art can be used to gain perspective on an event.

Sure, 4 year is a little short. But there has already been 3 movies I can think of about the Rwanda Genocide and it's only been 12 years. And no offense to the Americans, but the Rwanda genocide is a worse atrocity tham 9/11 that directly affected more people. 1 000 000 dead leave a lot of grieving family behind.

So such movies can be done but it does place a bigger burden on the creators. They have an obligation to produce quality and deliver a thoughtful movie. If these movies turn out to be just vulgar commercial products, then it will be a shame.

There was some outrage in Canada recently about an american made movie about Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo (Notorious serial killer this side of the border). The events it depicted are just a bit over 10 year old, still fresh for the family of the victim. Well, the real outrage about this movie is that it turned out to be a lemon starring Laura Prepon in the lead (Laura Prepon, seriously!). The movie sucked.

If you want to do it, fine, but do it right.

Last edited:
Eh.

Believe it or not, United 93 currently has a 100% rating at rotten tomatoes.

Obviously, with only 5 critics in, it's not yet very meaningful, and maybe it's jingoistic patriotism rearing its ugly head in movie critics biases, but still, it's 5/5 so far.

I guess I'll see for myself next friday. Could be good.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Eh.

Believe it or not, United 93 currently has a 100% rating at rotten tomatoes.

Obviously, with only 5 critics in, it's not yet very meaningful, and maybe it's jingoistic patriotism rearing its ugly head in movie critics biases, but still, it's 5/5 so far.

I guess I'll see for myself next friday. Could be good.

Yah, they better do well or a lot of people will be pissed. You can't screw up a movie like this. Not when the event happened a few year ago.

I saw the commercial for it...I dunno; it looks pretty good.

Saw the trailer.

Looks great! Has a documentary feel to it.

Heard a review the other day and the guy said there is no doubt the copntent is rough. He said that the violence isn't given dramatic close ups, it mostly happens in the back ground. Even "Let's roll" is only part of a sentence and is not given any undue attention.

Many of the cast memebers are the actual flight tower people and NORAD employees that were working on 9/11.

Can't wait to see it.

Saw it.

Very solid. There is no real message. It's a reconstitution and it speaks for itself. It's not heavy handed, it's not moralistic. It's just the best approximation of what happened that the director could manage. It has a real air of authenticity and it's an intense experience.

I want to see it. WTC and the Pentagon, there were survivors. Flight 93, we didn't even know until it hit the ground. Out of the four incidents (I count the two buildings as two incidents), this is the one that we know the least about and pay the least attention to. The Pentagon went back to business, we never stop hearing about this or that from Ground Zero, but anything newsworthy about Flight 93 has been curiously absent until this movie popped up.

The World Trade Center will have a memorial and has little localized memorials all over the place (Connecticut has one for all of this state's residents who died, which isn't too big of a number). The family of Flight 93 victims are still fighting to even get the land set aside so a memorial can be planned and created.

i don't like this out of principle. i live in a suburb of the city, and i know people who lost family in the attacks. whenever i see people trying to exploit the events for money, i just remember the p.a. system in school calling anyone who had parents working in the WTC or the surrounding area down to the library before we even had the television on, only to have the confused teacher turn on the tv to two towers smoking, and within a minute one coming down. this is no different, in my mind, than politicians spouting "9/11" to push policies that don't really have anything to do with it.

Latest posts

Back