Frank Miller's Sin City

E

Excelsior Club
Just picked up Vol. 1 today, "The Hard Goodbye", and I read it all in one sitting.

Wow - that's some messed up shtuff.

Awesome though. I'll stop by the bookstore tomorrow and see if they have the next volume. :D

UltimateE said:
Just picked up Vol. 1 today, "The Hard Goodbye", and I read it all in one sitting.

Wow - that's some messed up shtuff.

Awesome though. I'll stop by the bookstore tomorrow and see if they have the next volume. :D
Could you spoil some? I'm still deciding whether to get the TPB's or not.

icemastertron said:
Could you spoil some? I'm still deciding whether to get the TPB's or not.

No. I'm doing you a favor - get it. :D

"The Hard Goodbye" is the story about a violent mentally-ill man named Marv who is on a path for revenge after the murder of the love of his life, Goldie. Marv goes on a one-man war against a serial killer, an unknown woman and the entire power structure of Sin City(This summary does not spoil anything but gives a general idea of the story).

UltimateE, the next two volumes, "That Yellow Bastard" and "The Big Fat Kill" are fantastic especially "That Yellow Bastard"(They are also the two of the three novels being translated into the movie along with "The Hard Goodbye.")

Last edited:
ultimatebatman said:
"The Hard Goodbye" is the story about a violent mentally-ill man named Marv who is on a path for revenge after the murder of the love of his life, Goldie. Marv goes on a one-man war against a serial killer, an unknown woman and the entire power structure of Sin City(This summary does not spoil anything but gives a general idea of the story).
Thanks for this man!

ultimatebatman said:

UltimateE, the next two volumes, "That Yellow Bastard" and "The Big Fat Kill" are fantastic especially "That Yellow Bastard"(They are also the two of the three novels being translated into the movie along with "The Hard Goodbye.")

Cool - I wonderd what the movie was going to be based off of. I'll be sure to pick up those books ASAP.

Deffinatly get That Yellow Bastard, as it's probably my fav so far. As for The Big Fat Kill, V3, you should get V2, A Dame ot Kill For as it's a continuation, as well as tying into V1 in some cool ways.

Out of all I've read of Frank Millers I'm most impressed by Sin City. It's a one man work of art, and what I'm curently using to introduce people to comics. I've not been too impressed by his Batman, as it seems to be used too often to justify the current *******-ization of him, and his Daredevil seemed to get too messed up by other writters after, but damn if Sin City isn't something else.

I love Sin City, and I totally agree that it´s Frank Miller at his best. I have read most of them some years ago, but I´m very eager to buy these fine new ediitons, in preparation for the movie.

"The Hard Goodbye" and "A Dame to Kill for" is, as said, closely connected, although completely stand-alone. Those two are the best I think, along with "That Yellow Bastard".

UltimateE said:
Cool - I wonderd what the movie was going to be based off of. I'll be sure to pick up those books ASAP.

From waht I saw I think all the books are being thrown into one. That Yellow Bastard is one of the stories. The Hard Good Bye is another one. I dont know how else to explain this, but it seems like thre is going to be 3 stories in one.

René said:
From waht I saw I think all the books are being thrown into one. That Yellow Bastard is one of the stories. The Hard Good Bye is another one. I dont know how else to explain this, but it seems like thre is going to be 3 stories in one.
I think it's going to have a Pulp Fiction kind of structure to it.

How are the newer redesigned graphic novels different from before? Are they just a little smaller?

I'm not sure. The only thing I've seen other than the new releases are is the Art of Sin City hardcover, wich is huge. If the other SC HCs were that size then they did quite the shrink on them for the digests.

I bought the unedited uncut version of the Dvd ad was pleased to see a free copy of "The Hard Goodbye" in there. I've been wanting to collect these and I do believe I'll be adding it to the collection. I'm hopeing my roommate can dig them out of her parents house so I won't have to spend the cash.

The scene between Marv's mother and Weevel would've been welcomed in the film too.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I bought the unedited uncut version of the Dvd ad was pleased to see a free copy of "The Hard Goodbye" in there. I've been wanting to collect these and I do believe I'll be adding it to the collection. I'm hopeing my roommate can dig them out of her parents house so I won't have to spend the cash.

The scene between Marv's mother and Weevel would've been welcomed in the film too.

The scenes not used in the movie are included in the uncut Marv story on disc 2.

I feel like the Big Fat Kill is the best of the Sin City arcs out of Hard Goodbye and That Yellow Bastard. Dwight's interactions with Gail and Jackie Boy were perfect in it. In Sin City 2 they've anounced A Dame to Kill For will be the main story with Selma Blaire or ANGELINA JOLIE as the dame.

Selma Blaire's not that hott. Bring on Jolie.

A Dame to Kill For. Bought it today. Of course read it in one sitting and am completely pumped to see some of these characters come to life soon like Bob, Mort, and Agamemnon.

Dwight's character might now be one of my favorites (wasn't a fan after the movie) but a little more light is shed on the character. I loved how toward the end we see the events of The Hard Goodbye coming around and hope that those kinds of Easter Eggs appear in all the stories. Though, I tried to read the chronological order on wikipedia and still have a hard time following up.

Are all of the issues collected so far or is anything left out?

I believe everything has been collected in one of the trades.

Latest posts

Back