Free Comic Book Day 2010

Agreed. Seems like slim pickings this year for some reason. The only book that interests me is Owly.

Owly! Awesome.

I love Free Comic Book Day. Not for me - they rarely have anything I'm interested in and I don't feel like I have time to get into something just based on getting a free copy of a book. But for my son - he loves getting free books and he reads them all. I haven't checked the list yet but hopefully there's a good number of kid-friendly titles.

The following titles appear kid-friendly:

Owly and Friends
DC Kids Mega-Sampler
Toy Story
Sonic the Hedgehog
Archie's Summer Splash

There's also a Shrek tie-in (depending on your definition of "kid-friendly". It wouldn't be on my list, but, hey...).

Some of the other stuff might fit the bill, too, but I'm not familiar with all the series and i can't tell based on cover and title information.

Thanks. That looks like a solid list.

I'll have to take a look at the Shrek book - he hasn't seen any of the movies but if the book is OK I'll let him get it.

So I went to my first free comic book day and I had no ****ing idea it was such a draw. I never saw my LCS so packed. And artist named Billy Tan who drew for Thor and Uncanny X-Men and a guy who was a writer for Immortal Iron Fist. I also chatted up two attractive women dressed as Black Cat and Zatanna. Zatanna actually won a modeling contest to win a free trip to San Diego comic con.

So I went to my first free comic book day and I had no ****ing idea it was such a draw. I never saw my LCS so packed. And artist named Billy Tan who drew for Thor and Uncanny X-Men and a guy who was a writer for Immortal Iron Fist. I also chatted up two attractive women dressed as Black Cat and Zatanna. Zatanna actually won a modeling contest to win a free trip to San Diego comic con.

Ed Brubaker? Matt Fraction? Duane Swierczynski?!

I need to read that Iron Man/Thor comic.

I took my kids and they got some good stuff. My daughter was pretty excited about the Toy Story comic. She can't read so we'll probably be making that a bedtime story thing.

I didn't really see anything that grabbed my attention.

Stopped in my LCS this evening, after all the excitement was long over. The place really does pack 'em in on Free Comic Book Day. We have a group of the Star Wars folks who belong to a storm trooper unit, plus some local authors are usually on hand, and the store has some specials. The manager also saves some of the kid-friendly stuff for me, so I came home with a bag of all-ages titles, some of which I'll read. (Owly was cute, as usual, and there was a Marvel Adventures in the pile, too.) The comics will all be given away this summer at the library during our reading program.

I agree there wasn't much on this year's title list that interested me, but I'm always happy to see comic shops and bookstores get good publicity.

E, what was the final verdict on Shrek?

I went to my friendly local comic shop and picked up Fraction's Iron Man/Thor comic, DC's War of the Superman thing, the Stuff of Legend and The Tick. I missed out on the Mouse Guard thing.

By friendly local comic shop, I mean I downloaded these.

I went to my friendly local comic shop and picked up Fraction's Iron Man/Thor comic, DC's War of the Superman thing, the Stuff of Legend and The Tick. I missed out on the Mouse Guard thing.

By friendly local comic shop, I mean I downloaded these.
"I mean I downloaded these" is a busy comic shop, I've heard.

"I mean I downloaded these" is a busy comic shop, I've heard.

It's startling really. At a time when comic book shop business is plummeting, that place seems to be doing more business than all the other shops put together.

Last edited:
Yeah, so i totally forgot today was Free Comic Book Day. I happened to go to my LCS today anyway, but almost all of the free comic books were gone. No big deal since I wasn't super interested in any of them anyway. But they had a 20% off sale so i bought a few TPBs.

Spider-Man, The Flash and a group of Jedi Knights would be a great superhero team.

Latest posts

Back