Gambit--Was there substance to his reappearance or was he just there to shut fans up?

I'll say there was a clear purpose to Gambit's appearance. Vaughan wanted to shake the team up. Gambit's caused a whole ton of trouble. He's brought out the worst in Wolverine (who was playing far too nice of late) and Gambit is one of those characters who just rubs Logan the wrong way. He pulls Rogue out of the team, and does it in a way that dails up Iceman's characterization. This arc has caused a marked development of Iceman, building up his hotheaded insubordinate side (which was as I understand was a big part of his 616 character) which first really appeared in the last arc. You can't just replace Gambit in this arc with just anyone. He's the only character in the X-Men repetoire capable of having the desired effects on both Wolverine and Rogue. Though I can't say I'm too happy with the relationship between Rogue and Gambit being brought up this early... though it serves a purpose. ANd given Gambit's problems with his powers in 616 he made sense as mutant who'd be involved with Fenris.

And Gambit is an interesting character inhis own right if handled correctly. There needs to be mutant characters who exist outside of the X-Men, but who don't fall into the mutant terrorist/megalomaniac mold. Gambit's the outsider type and that's one natural reaction to being different: opting out. In the hands of a good writer Gambit has a lot of potential, in that he can be successfully kept out of the traditional hero mold. The shady past and flexible ethics are excelent starting points.

I was sincerly disappointed, when Rogue and Gambit walked away together. I had really hoped Vaughan wouldn't repeat the same old washed-out coupeling.
I don't think he intends to keep it with that, however. :)

You see, it has just been confirmed, that Vaughan is going to write 12 more issues of Ultimate X-Men. I personally see the results of Cry Wolf (Wolverine leaving the team, Rogue leaving with Gambit, possibly also the introduction of Fenris) as the build-up to the rest of his run.
Wolverine and Rogue will be back eventually, a lot of ground-work for future characterzation has been laid, and I don't see Vaughan waste that.
Until then, well, it has been said before, there are to many X-Men recently to write the titel properly... ;)

Blacksword said:
I'll say there was a clear purpose to Gambit's appearance. Vaughan wanted to shake the team up. Gambit's caused a whole ton of trouble. He's brought out the worst in Wolverine (who was playing far too nice of late) and Gambit is one of those characters who just rubs Logan the wrong way. He pulls Rogue out of the team, and does it in a way that dails up Iceman's characterization. This arc has caused a marked development of Iceman, building up his hotheaded insubordinate side (which was as I understand was a big part of his 616 character) which first really appeared in the last arc. You can't just replace Gambit in this arc with just anyone. He's the only character in the X-Men repetoire capable of having the desired effects on both Wolverine and Rogue. Though I can't say I'm too happy with the relationship between Rogue and Gambit being brought up this early... though it serves a purpose. ANd given Gambit's problems with his powers in 616 he made sense as mutant who'd be involved with Fenris.

And Gambit is an interesting character inhis own right if handled correctly. There needs to be mutant characters who exist outside of the X-Men, but who don't fall into the mutant terrorist/megalomaniac mold. Gambit's the outsider type and that's one natural reaction to being different: opting out. In the hands of a good writer Gambit has a lot of potential, in that he can be successfully kept out of the traditional hero mold. The shady past and flexible ethics are excelent starting points.

In case you guys haven't picked up on it, this is what I've been trying to say. Thank goodness for my new best friend, Blacksword, for thoroughly explaining it with in the best way possible.

Thanks GW, though let me say again that I really need to work on reading my posts over before I put them up... blasted laziness. ;)

for show

Gambit was totally there just to appease fans. Gambit is the next Wolverine a bandwagon superhero that everyone else loves cos' everyone else loves (Know what I'm sayin'??) I think he should just join the team already. I think him beating Wolverine was ridiculous. I loved when Cyclops blasted him because that gave Cyclops the credit he deserves. Doin' it twice though is puttin' one of marvel's most popular heroes on the backburner and that's just wrong. Gambit should be an X-Man though and his powers should be downsized a little more than represented.

You do realize that you dismissed Gambit's appearance because of his popularity, and then went on to whine about Wolverine getting beaten on the basis of him being too popular to be beaten. You can't argue out of both sides of your mouth mate. Either popularity is valid or it isn't.

Gambit has been a major player in the 616 X-books a long time now, so he was bound to show up eventually, and if you take a second to re-read the issues (or my post) it's pretty clear that Gambit served a definite purpose in the plot. He's part of X-men and his appearance was purposeful. No beefs from me there (though as I've said I'm disappointed that the kicked the Rogue relationship thing so soon).

As to Wolverine getting beaten... sigh... when will people stop insisting that Wolverine be unbeatable. Incredibly skilled and and almost impossible to kill but he can be beaten. Vaughan presented it in a clever and plausible way. And lets face it Logan does tend to be arrogant and that's a weakness.

Last edited:
hold up

I don't support wolverine's character at all I hate wolverine... and im sorry if I contradicted myself I guess I don't really know how to say it but I feel like they want to turn Gambit into the next wolverine by making him a loner hero.

616?

and I thought this was a ultimate website that's why I'm here... the ultimate comics are the only things I read I don't have a clue what 616 means... I'd ask you to explain but unless it's real important to the ultimate universe maybe we should not bring em up anymore

Its not fair to just ignore the 616 because the Ultimate line is, after a fashion, based on 616. It uses the same characters and it does, inevitably, use some of the same plots. Those of us who read 616 usually manage to explain our references and if we don't, just ask.

Anyway. Wolverine in 616 as well as Wolverine in Ultimate U are both frequently arrogant characters. I have to agree that Vaughn demonstrated a plausible way for Wolverine to be beaten- a possibility although unlikely

XTFLyons said:
and I thought this was a ultimate website that's why I'm here... the ultimate comics are the only things I read I don't have a clue what 616 means... I'd ask you to explain but unless it's real important to the ultimate universe maybe we should not bring em up anymore

Cad is absolutely right. 616 is going to be brought up and UU will always be compared to it on some level, because the entire point of the Ultimate books is to retell the 616 stories in an updated fashion. If there's anything you ever don't understand, just ask. :D

Goodwill said:
Which a lot of people are getting pissed at... They say it's modelled too much after 616.

I wish I could hear someone complain that, because it's asinine. It's the entire point of the books, and never has claimed to be anything but.

To answer XTFLyons' question directly 616 refers to the main Marvel Universe. Why? Because that's the number assigned to the main reality where most of the stuff happens. It's just become a customary short form to refer to everything in the mainline of Marvel comics by that name as it's a convenient short form.

XTFLyons said:
all right i get it

Sorry...responses got all jumbled up.

I wasn't talking about you asking what 616 meant. I was talking about it being asinine to complain that Ultimate is too much like 616, like Goody said.

Latest posts

Back