Game of the Year 2007

while i have absolutley zero-interest in orange box, i must point out that usually it is alot more boring to watch a game than to actually play it.
I agree, and I think this applies to a lot of games.

Unless it's a fantabulously action-packed third-person guns and swords battle game with chain combos or something, video games are generally less interesting to watch than to play. Go ask William Gibson.

One of the problems I have now with games actually, is that a lot of them just aren't very interesting and coincidentally, those same uninteresting games happen to be the ones that look great as video previews.

I've watched my brother play the whole thing. I don't ever want to spend another second seeing this game, so I wouldn't even play it.

Fair enough, to each his own.

I found it highly refreshing to play a 'shooter' that barely featured any enemies. I also found it oozed personality. While the look of the Aperture Labs was very greyed and toned down, the cute little sentry bots, the voice and script of the AI and the 'hidden' messages behind the panels were amusing, unnerving and mildly disturbing, respectively. Really liked how it tied into the HL world too (and vice-versa).

Not the best game I've ever played, and certainly not the best in the Orange Box. Half-Life 2 remains one of the most impacting, disturbing, anxious, inspired and atmospheric games I've ever played, and the two Episodes only continue to build on that. The questions that the HL universe brings up are deeply intriguing to me.

Surprised no one has said Metroid Prime 3...it was excellent. Its a toss up between that and phantom Hourglass for me.

Surprised no one has said Metroid Prime 3...it was excellent.

I'm surprised people don't read the other post more.

Now, as for the best game of the year? I'll probably give that up to Metriod Prime 3: Corruption...for the moment (since this is still October) as other games I've played haven't been as much fun as that. But next month there are tons of new games coming out, so I'm sure Super Mario Galaxy will surpass it.

Last edited:
Keeping in mind that I haven't yet played Gears of War or BioShock, I'm taking the easy route and voting for Halo 3.

It wasn't as good or epic as Halo 2, but it was still damn good, and pretty much everything a videogame should be these days.

Still too early to decide. Mass Effect, Super Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty 4, Hellgate: London, and Assassin's Creed, all highly anticipated games, have yet to make their debut.

If it was just up to this point, though? I'd say a toss up between Bioshock and The Orange Box. I felt Halo 3, God of War II, and Metroid Prime 3, while all excellent games, were just more of the same. Metroid shook things up a little with some waggle controls, but it's not enough to slap a GotY on it. The Orange Box. . .well, it cheats a bit by having Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 in it. If we just rate it by the new games. . .it's still pretty excellent. Episode 2 continues the awesome gameplay and story of HL2, TF2 is a wonderful multiplayer game, despite the lack of maps and a deathmatch mode, and Portal is just completely innovative, if a bit short. Bioshock is gorgeous and has incredibly fun and interesting gameplay. The story is also quite good until about the 2/3's mark, where it kind of gets rush. Still, both of these games are GotY material, in my opinion.

Honestly, though? I think Mass Effect and Galaxy are really going to give Bioshock and The Orange Box a run for their money. Both look superb.

It's amazing that it's "too early to decide" with all of two months left in the year....

You never know, something AMAZINGLY FANTABULOUS might pop out within the next two months that will take us in a state of rapture, give us spontaneous overlapping orgasms, taste like blueberry cheesecake AND be like watching Michelle Forbes having sweet sweet lesbian sex with Kristen Bell.

I mean, hell, anybody ever notice how critically acclaimed films from the start of the Oscar year get less attention or wins than critically acclaimed films at the end of the Oscar year?

It's amazing that it's "too early to decide" with all of two months left in the year....

. . .I gave five examples of very hyped games that won all sorts of awards and praise at various game shows that have yet to come out. Hell, I could even throw Rock Band on there, too.

Last edited:
Not to mention Crysis, The Witcher and Tabula Rasa.
You must educate me on this Tabula Rasa.

I know nothing about it except that Richard Garriott has been working on it ever since he founded Destination Games... I thought it'd NEVER come out.

Latest posts

Back