Generational Prejudice

Sadly, I see our country becoming more and more Xenophobic as time progresses. There seems to be this growing "us vs them" mentality. I know several 20-somethings in my class that refuse to watch Lost because of Sayid (which kills me, since Naveen Andrews is a british born of Hindi descent). I really don't understand why as the world becomes more of a global community, we strive to be more insular.

I go to a 90% white high school. People will pretty much jump on anything they can. We've had multiple epidemics of anti-black graffiti, and when I was in 9th grade another student got suspended for a series of events culminating in him stapling a swastika into my binder....because despite the fact that I'm of largely Scottish/Irish background, and have a British last name, and don't even look semitic, my mom is a non-orthodox Jew, which appearently makes me Jewish somehow.

Despite all that... the part I bolded is probably the most ridiculous demonstration of racism I've ever heard.

The joke's still completely on them though. They don't get to watch possibly the best show ever on TV.

I go to a 90% white high school. People will pretty much jump on anything they can. We've had multiple epidemics of anti-black graffiti, and when I was in 9th grade another student got suspended for a series of events culminating in him stapling a swastika into my binder....because despite the fact that I'm of largely Scottish/Irish background, and have a British last name, and don't even look semitic, my mom is a non-orthodox Jew, which appearently makes me Jewish somehow.

Despite all that... the part I bolded is probably the most ridiculous demonstration of racism I've ever heard.

The joke's still completely on them though. They don't get to watch possibly the best show ever on TV.

That's true.

They're clearly so stupid that they'll see Mohinder and go into "generic swarthy person alert" mode.

:wink:

Also, on the topic of stereotyping... I know a Jewish kid who I sit with at a lunch. I used to sit at a table with three or four other Jewish kids. I'm not anymore because my courses changed and I'm in the other building during lunch period, not because of personal problems. Anyway, I pulled out a dime and started spinning it on the table.

Him: You really shouldn't do that with so many Jews around.

I am obsessive about picking up money, pencils and any food in a sealed container that hasn't been opened, so this happened later...

Me: Oh, man, that quarter rolled right next to that kid's leg and he didn't even notice. I bet I could go right now and pick it up. No, I'll wait until he stands up to leave or it'll be creepy.
Him: Wow, even I'm not that Jewish.

I've been thinking lately how each genreation has their own racial prejudices. The generation that sired me had prejudice against African Americans, primarily. And my generation is dealing with homosexuals and immigrants.
I would say Muslims more than anyone else.
So I'm thinking what the next one will be. I'd love to say aliens or robots...but humans don't develop quite that fast. which leaves me the belief that the next huge racist movement will be...

JERKS!
Nah, it'll be midgets.
Sadly, I see our country becoming more and more Xenophobic as time progresses. There seems to be this growing "us vs them" mentality. I know several 20-somethings in my class that refuse to watch Lost because of Sayid (which kills me, since Naveen Andrews is a british born of Hindi descent). I really don't understand why as the world becomes more of a global community, we strive to be more insular.
Ugh, people are effing stupid.

The other day I was pointing something out about the Don Imus thing: People are pissed at the guy (Mostly for good reason, I think), but it seems that other commentators have said worse things, just against groups who are hated much more. That Glenn Beck ******* from CNN randomly accused a Muslim senator of being a terrorist. His first question was literally "How do I know that you aren't a terrorist?".

But hatred of Muslims just seems to be the socially acceptable thing. I remember hearing about a poll that TIME magazine did last year where (I believe) 30% of Americans said that Muslims should be put in special "camps" (Concentration Camps) and 50% of of Americans said that Muslims should have to carry special ID cards. I find it horrifying that our country could be so easily pulled into fascism.
Macadamien nut with sprinkle on top. No one can resist the sprinkles.
WEARETHESPRINKLES.jpg

I don't punch my own kid. Sheesh.

I do starve him and lock him in a steel cage in the basement though.

Oh, and you just became even creepier than before; I had no idea that was possible.
Oh, it is.
I go to a 90% white high school. People will pretty much jump on anything they can.
Chicago is technically one of the most racially divided places in the country, but my school happens to have an exremely even mix of most races, who don't segregate themselves nearly as much as at other schools.

Last edited:
Chicago is technically one of the most racially divided places in the country, but my school happens to have an exremely even mix of most races, who don't segregate themselves nearly as much as at other schools.

In Joliet they're all split up and the black gangs and Mexican gangs love beating the crap out of each other.

The other day I was pointing something out about the Don Imus thing: People are pissed at the guy (Mostly for good reason, I think), but it seems that other commentators have said worse things, just against groups who are hated much more. That Glenn Beck ******* from CNN randomly accused a Muslim senator of being a terrorist. His first question was literally "How do I know that you aren't a terrorist?".

But hatred of Muslims just seems to be the socially acceptable thing. I remember hearing about a poll that TIME magazine did last year where (I believe) 30% of Americans said that Muslims should be put in special "camps" (Concentration Camps) and 50% of of Americans said that Muslims should have to carry special ID cards. I find it horrifying that our country could be so easily pulled into fascism.

As a born Muslim, I think I find this more "horrifying" than any of you. Except those of you who are also Muslim. Rock on.

Now, even though I live very close to detroit, I'm still in the suburbs. My school is very, very white, and while many kids pretend to be in gangs, there is little to no violence and we are very protected. I don't think I met a black guy until I turned 15. Think about this; While I am not Arab, I look like I could be, as my skin is tanned (1/2 Nicaraguan) and I was born and raised Muslim.

About 40% of my school refuses to talk to me. "But Wade, that's just because you're a jerk to everyone, LOL". Yeah, that's true, but I'm talking about when I first started going to school here. I'm acused of being a terrorist with astounding regularity (not mockingly, mind you; I know when people are joking) and have even gotten several death threats. Several of my friends parents won't allow me over at their houses.

And remeber; I live in Bloomfield Hills, which is one of the wealthiest, safest towns in the country. I hate to think about what it's like in *ahem* other areas (you all know where I'm talking about).

I can't imagine how racist some people must be over there. I mean, we have lots of racists in here, but nothing like this. Not Watching Lost because of Sayid? Holy Crap that is insane! I think the only thing we hate in common in my country are Argentinians.... Those should be put in boot camps :roll: :roll: :roll:

Only because my awesomenesss reflects badly on you.

You just want to get rid of me so everyone will like you better.

You didn't let me finish.

I support sending you to boot camp for kids in wheelchairs, putting you in charge, and filming the results.

I support sending you to boot camp for kids in wheelchairs, putting you in charge, and filming the results.

I think we have the premise of a very successful sitcom on our hands.

I like how this thread is in a cycle of thoughtful discussion on racism and prejudice turning to joing on E's parenting skills turning into thoughtful discussion, E's kid-beating habit, etc.

As a born Muslim, I think I find this more "horrifying" than any of you. Except those of you who are also Muslim. Rock on.

Now, even though I live very close to detroit, I'm still in the suburbs. My school is very, very white, and while many kids pretend to be in gangs, there is little to no violence and we are very protected. I don't think I met a black guy until I turned 15. Think about this; While I am not Arab, I look like I could be, as my skin is tanned (1/2 Nicaraguan) and I was born and raised Muslim.

About 40% of my school refuses to talk to me. "But Wade, that's just because you're a jerk to everyone, LOL". Yeah, that's true, but I'm talking about when I first started going to school here. I'm acused of being a terrorist with astounding regularity (not mockingly, mind you; I know when people are joking) and have even gotten several death threats. Several of my friends parents won't allow me over at their houses.

And remeber; I live in Bloomfield Hills, which is one of the wealthiest, safest towns in the country. I hate to think about what it's like in *ahem* other areas (you all know where I'm talking about).
****, that's insane. How ignorant can people get?
E condones the putting of Muslims into camps!!!11

RACIST, RACIST, RACIST!!!1
It is very, very much true.

He discriminates against me just because I look through his window from the bushes and watch him shower.

I CAN'T HELP WHO I AM!!!
I can't imagine how racist some people must be over there. I mean, we have lots of racists in here, but nothing like this. Not Watching Lost because of Sayid? Holy Crap that is insane!
It's because America is a big melting pot, made up of various people and cultures. Conflict between different groups is an inevitable effect of the closeness of our different cultures.

That's why we NEED TO GET RID O' THEM ETHNIC MOTHER****ERS AND TAKE BACK THE COUNTRY IN THE NAME O' THE WHITE MAN!!!

Ohmigod that is the greatest thing I've ever heard!
I hate everybody.
My mom says the same thing.

maybe its just my size (at the time i was 16'ish and about 5'10 [6'1 now] and about 160 [+/- 210 now], but even after 9/11 i didn't get much hate. what can i say, i scare people. im a VERY dark skinned Asian Indian. by Religion im a SIKH via a Muslim background. if you don't know what SIKH's are then go and look it up. we make up alot more of the pop than you think. and there alot of bad blood to.

I can't imagine how racist some people must be over there. I mean, we have lots of racists in here, but nothing like this. Not Watching Lost because of Sayid? Holy Crap that is insane! I think the only thing we hate in common in my country are Argentinians.... Those should be put in boot camps :roll: :roll: :roll:

I hate that show too, and yes its becuase of Sayid. WHY? i've been compared to his drunk brown *** by everyone and there mommies lovers uncle. and here i am trying to get into show biz.

know i know how a china man feels when asked, do you stuns like bruce lee?

You are all wrong. The hate against Muslims, Blacks, Mexicans, etc. is all just a fake out, a misdirection. I believe I've said this before: it's really women who are getting their rights revoked. Especially driving.

maybe its just my size (at the time i was 16'ish and about 5'10 [6'1 now] and about 160 [+/- 210 now], but even after 9/11 i didn't get much hate. what can i say, i scare people. im a VERY dark skinned Asian Indian. by Religion im a SIKH via a Muslim background. if you don't know what SIKH's are then go and look it up. we make up alot more of the pop than you think. and there alot of bad blood to.

I hate that show too, and yes its becuase of Sayid. WHY? i've been compared to his drunk brown *** by everyone and there mommies lovers uncle. and here i am trying to get into show biz.

know i know how a china man feels when asked, do you stuns like bruce lee?
I just hate you for your baffling inability to not use capitals about 3/4 of the time. It somehow makes it bad when you do use them.

****, that's insane. How ignorant can people get?

What?

It is very, very much true.

He discriminates against me just because I look through his window from the bushes and watch him shower.

I CAN'T HELP WHO I AM!!!

Damn it Moonie, we had discussion about this!

Invest in a telescope, therefore you don't have to go outside.

It's because America is a big melting pot, made up of various people and cultures. Conflict between different groups is an inevitable effect of the closeness of our different cultures.

That's why we NEED TO GET RID O' THEM ETHNIC MOTHER****ERS AND TAKE BACK THE COUNTRY IN THE NAME O' THE WHITE MAN!!!

But I thought alloys were stronger than a single metal?

Oh well, DOWN WITH THE PEOPLE OTHER THAN THE WHITE MAN!

You are all wrong. The hate against Muslims, Blacks, Mexicans, etc. is all just a fake out, a misdirection. I believe I've said this before: it's really women who are getting their rights revoked. Especially driving.

Oh god, woman drivers suck.

Almost as bad as the Asians.

Latest posts

Back