Going For It

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
I aim to get published with something. Somehow, somewhere, I aim to do it.

Now I have a story. A good one in fact, that people read and enjoy and give me feedback to make it better. The story itself has been put through several revisions and whatnot, to be what it is today, which is so far a pipedream.

I will change this.

I browsed websites, and checked out facts, and settled on sending my works to one company, and hopefully I will get recognized. We shall see if that day will come.

I settled on Dark Horse. I have seen them give people like Mike Magnolia a try, and now he publishes a successful book. Plus, from their website they felt like they give new writers a shot. So, I felt inspired to give it a try.

So I looked at their website, searching for submission guidelines, and lo, I found them. Now, my work is copyrighted, I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't, and noticed that some companies won't even glance at your work if it is copyrighted. That makes little sense to me. I looked at their first rule, which is a signed release, so they can look at it, yet if a byproduct comes out from it, and not by your approval, you have every right to sue them. This also gives them the right to defend themselves in court, yadda yadda yadda. Looks normal to me.

The second one, which was a complete synopsis, threw me for a loop. My stories, in my head, is a planned 24 episodes, or ten page stories. Somehow, I need to summarize this in a manner which not only portrays my story effectively, yet also shows how complex it is.

And I have a five page limit.

This will be the difficult one. Not only that, but I will need people to read this to make sure it conveys what I'm trying too. That requires proofreaders.

Who will be informed of every little detail of my plot. This not only upsets me, but throughly annoys me. But it will need to be done, because as we all know, I suck at grammar and spelling, and those are what needed here. So I would like to send out a call for proofreaders of the summary, two to three would be the max here. I haven't even started this yet, so it would probably be a couple of months. And you will be spoiled of the outcome of the story.

Moving onto the third one, is a ful script. If you are scripting a short story, they want a full script of the series. IF you are attempting a series, they want the first eight pages. I realize this is to show that you can write a script. I already talked to Mooney about this, and feel I can give it a shot. I plan to script out the full first issue. This too will require proofreaders. And once again, I send out a plea for help here.

So, I am at the beginning stages. For those who don't know what I am planning on sending, it is Blairwood. I would like one of the mods to close that thread as well, as I will probably not be posting in it for sometime in the future. But leave it viewable please.

This thread I will use to keep you guys updated on the progress of the story.

Good luck Houde, I hope this works out for you. You've got the right attitude going in. If Dark Horse doesn't take you, it's their loss.

I like Blairwood. I will proofread.

Good luck, Houde. I can't wait to see how this all turns out.

I'd be glad to proofread the script stuff.
So I looked at their website, searching for submission guidelines, and lo, I found them. Now, my work is copyrighted, I wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't, and noticed that some companies won't even glance at your work if it is copyrighted. That makes little sense to me. I looked at their first rule, which is a signed release, so they can look at it, yet if a byproduct comes out from it, and not by your approval, you have every right to sue them. This also gives them the right to defend themselves in court, yadda yadda yadda. Looks normal to me.
Yeah, copyright laws concerning comics seem very confusing.

All I can say is that if I were to produce an original property, I'd want to be able to retain total control of it.
Show me the fever! Into the fire! Taking it higher and HIGHER!
:lol:

Last edited:
All I can say is that if I were to produce an original property, I'd want to be able to retain total control of it.

LOLwachowskis.jpg

So far I have six reviewers.

Script:
Ice
Moonmaster
Victor Von Doom

Summary:
ProjectX2
Seldes Katne
ShaggyMarco

I think I have enough reviewers, thanks for the words of support.

I'll post again when I get nearer to completion

EDIT: Added ShaggyMarco

Last edited:
So, I have discovered my first big hurdle. Writing the summary of my story. I don't know if any of you have read Blairwood, but the story is very complicated, as it should be in my opinion, and extremely thought out, making even the summary extremely detailed.

After some talking and help from Ice, ProjectX2, Planet-man and Seldes, I have a clear idea on how to do this now. Hopefully this will make it run smoother. Thank you guys for your help. If anyone has any other suggestions that they think can help me, either PM me, or post in this thread

I think we have had a misunderstanding. This has nothing to do with The Blairwitch Project... :?

I informed people the summary would be done this weekend

In true to the current world of comic book writers, I was late.

The summary will be delayed one week

I don't like how this bodes for my career

Well as long as your not being paid to be late I'm good

I sent out the summaries, it needs refining, I know that much. There's details I wish to discuss over emails.

Thanks guys, the script will come after the summary is finished.

What are you talking about? It just means that when you finally make the big time, you'll be Bryan Hitch.

Think about it.

Latest posts

Back