Golden Compass

Character posters for The Golden Compass have been posted at Yahoo! Movies.

07-gc-posters00.jpg

07-gc-posters01.jpg

Click the above link for more.

Daniel Craig Talks Bond 22 (and The Golden Compass) over at ComingSoon.Net:
[IMGL]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q32/experimentego/07-lordasriel.jpg[/IMGL]CS: Assuming "Golden Compass" is a hit and they make a second film, and you're already signed up to do the next Bond, are you looking ahead to work both into your schedule?

Craig: That will be the plan, but it just depends on how well we do here. I try not to count chickens. I really don't because there's no point. You'd go crazy. We're in good shape and I'm very happy with the way this is working out. I'd love to get involved with it. If they do another movie, I'd love to do it. We'll fit it in. It's not my job to make that work. I pay people fortunes to make that.
Craig was also interviewed by Entertainment Tonight as part of their Golden Compass Week. You can watch the interview here on YouTube.

Also, Film Music: The Neglected Art has posted a review of the soundtrack:
Desplat, one of the busier composers, having completed 22 assignments in only 3 years, as well as a wonderful classical CD, has still found more than enough time to craft a wonderful score. The opening track "The Golden Compass" is one of mystery and intrigue setting the mood for the fantasy adventure with all the design and orchestration techniques of Rimsky-Korsakov. As is the case with Desplat there is nothing loud and brash.

One of the favorite cues of this reviewer is "Iorek Byrnison", the armoured bear, a dark mysterious cue with wordless chorus in the background to enhance the mystery even more. The delicate harp, which Desplat has become a master at using effectively plays a prominent role as the cue builds like a symphony movement to a rousing breathtaking conclusion. Another favorite cue albiet a bit on the unusual is "The Ice Bridge" a very modern dissonant classical sounding cue albiet way too short. Many of you will adore the final cue "Lyra" sung by Kate Bush the song which will be featured as the end credits are played. Its very cliche, complete with wind machine and predictable words and orchestration but no matter. It is well sung and will certainly be a hit in the appropriate markets.

Sam Elliot got shafted with the jackrabbit familiar. He should've got coyote or a jackalope.
Scoresby's character isn't particularly bad ***, so I don't think a coyote would be appropriate.

At least he's not Nicole Kidman, who got a ****ing monkey.

Of course, monkeys are a good substitute for Tom Cruise.

Last edited:
The Catholic Church is only against it because the Church in His Dark Materials basically IS the Catholic Church. If it wasn't so blatantly Catholic, I guarantee the Catholics wouldn't have said anything.

Personally, though, all their boycott does it stimulate interest to go see the movie. This coming from a Catholic.
I saw a notice somewhere about the proposed boycott, and all I could think was, "Great! More room in the theater for me!" :lol: (Also coming from a Catholic....)

Sam Elliot got shafted with the jackrabbit familiar. He should've got coyote or a jackalope.
Wasn't Scorsby's daemon a hare in the books?

The Guardian has posted a review of The Golden Compass, giving it four stars:
The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw said:
As with many adaptations of this sort, a lot of the novel's supporting background material which might acclimatise us to the story's strange and distinctive world has been stripped out.

You're just plunged straight into the action and have to get used to this bewildering, exotic new universe as best you can. The effect is interesting and alienating, though the tiniest bit more absurd than I think Philip Pullman would have intended.
HisDarkMaterials.Org's Erica Fetterman also posts her impressions in a piece intended for those who haven't read the book:
HisDarkMaterials.Org's Erica Fetterman said:
The Golden Compass is at its best when characters and dæmons are interacting. The extent of the human-dæmon bond becomes apparent as Nicole Kidman's character the glamorous Mrs. Coulter slaps her own dæmon in anger, then apologetically turns toward the camera with a series of red finger streaks down her own cheek. The movie itself goes on to further develop the human-dæmon bond as the Gyptian group discovers the terrible secret that the kidnapped children are being severed from their dæmons as experiments: an unthinkable act to the spunky young heroine Lyra.

The movie does have some hang ups: there is a questioning whether people unfamiliar with The Golden Compass novel will be able to keep up with the furious pace set by the plot and whether the central mysterious substance Dust has enough exposure. Adult actors Sam Elliot, Eva Green, and Daniel Craig positively shined in their roles, each actor so thoroughly owning their character on screen, but unfortunately, not heavily featured.
As usual, click the links to read more.

Last edited:
I saw the sneak preview tonight of this film. I haven't read any of the books either.

The comparison between the Magistrate and the Catholic Church is not there. The Magistrate, in the movie anyways, is not portrayed as a religion, but as a ruling set of people who rule through fear.

As for the story, I liked it. Obviously it felt rushed. I liked the idea of the animal demons holding your soul.

Nicole Kidman was okay in the movie. Her character had an eerie feel to it. The other good character was Daniel Craig, though he was only on screen for a minute. Lastly, the character of old cowboy was great.

The kicker in this film was when
the bear knocked the other bear's jaw off. Came from nowhere, and did not expect it at all

It was good

The kicker in this film was when
the bear knocked the other bear's jaw off. Came from nowhere, and did not expect it at all

It was good
I thought you'd be expecting that by now seeing as the animated GIF I've been posting reflected that piece of awesome.

I must know though,
Did Ian McPolar Bear also tear the other bear's heart out and eat it?
Because that's what happened in the books.

Scoresby's character isn't particularly bad ***, so I don't think a coyote would be appropriate.

At least he's not Nicole Kidman, who got a ****ing monkey.

Of course, monkeys are a good substitute for Tom Cruise.

:D
I felt my suggestions seemed more westernry, but it really doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Wasn't Scorsby's daemon a hare in the books?

I dunno, probably, I haven't read the books.:wink:

In the movie it was a jackrabbit

But ourchair,
No he didn't eat the heart. He just knocked the lower jaw clean off, then snap the neck and moved on

This is a bit off-topic, but...

I had an arguement with my dad about this film today. He considers atheism blasphamous. I consider atheism a good step up from nihilism.

I won by default because he didn't know what nihilism is.

Nice

I told my religious aunt kids were streaming out of the theater cursing God, and throwing the crucifixes away in the trash with all the adults cheering them on.

She was not amused

Last edited:
This is a bit off-topic, but...

I had an arguement with my dad about this film today. He considers atheism blasphamous. I consider atheism a good step up from nihilism.

I won by default because he didn't know what nihilism is.
How can atheism be inherently blasphemous? If you deny something exists, then how can you blaspheme it?

(Unless of course, you use your belief in its nonexistence to blaspheme other people's beliefs, but that's something else)

The thing of it is this: the books have never been anit-Catholic faith so much as they've been anti-Catholic CHURCH. A lot of people fail to make that distinction which is why it's such a big deal.

But then again, even if the Catholic Church recognized that it was 'just' anti-Catholic Church it's not like it'd make them any less angry, but still.

What I actually dislike are fans of His Dark Materials actually TRYING to defend the books like they're NOT anti-Catholic Church. They try to excuse it, usually by saying something like how it's merely 'critiquing' it.

When in fact Pullman has NEVER denied that his books were against institutionalized/organized religion. It's a pretty damn clear stance.

Well, the way I see it, they aren't so much anti-Catholic church/religion as they are anti-Christianity. The basic gist of the series is that any religion is just an instrument to destroy physical pleasure/free will and that only by engaging in the sensual pleasures of the flesh can you be free of religion's tyranny.

It makes for interesting religious alagory--religious alagory I violently disagree with--but well-written and interesting none-the-less.

Anyone who argues that Pullman isn't anti-Christian is deluding themselves and/or missed the point of the book.

This movie was very awesome.

It had the *****slap of history in it.

I look forward to more movies and maybe I'll get the books.

"Golden Compass" is eliciting anger from some, but will the controversy make the film more popular?

'Golden Compass' 2007's Biggest Bombs: Friday night only $8.6 million from 3,528 theaters with anemic per screen average. Weekend estimate for $27 million. Cost of movie: $200+ million. Wildly expensive flop should sink New Line Cinema chairman Bob Shaye's chances to stay on when his contract expires in 2008...

Latest posts

Back